Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:44:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363688 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: May 17, 2020, 07:00:47 AM »

Val Demings is like Kamala Harris on steroids.

She's everything Kamala is, just 300% better.

Minus the name recognition. Also, if Kamala would be a bad pick because “she’s a cop” then how exactly is Demings any better?

Being a cop is a good thing for Demings. She could be seen as a "tough cop mom" to voters, which is an interesting selling point.

Besides, Demings is from the swing state FL (whereas Kamala Harris is just from CA).

The name recognition will easily rise once she's confirmed as Biden's VP choice + a few national ads.

She could be a secret weapon for Biden (not only for winning FL, but also Black-rich GA, NC and the rust-belt states WI, MI and PA which are also full with Black voters).
Elgato1978
Rookie
« Reply #1451 on: May 17, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »

While it would be nice to have a ticket on the Dem side that reflects the diversity of the nation. We must at least exercise the pragmatism that is lacking these days. I would love to have Harris or any of the other great women that ran this year. Let’s just try to understand that to win we need a name a person who as a brand represents a stability that we have been missing from our president lately. Each election is a product of the times they happen in. This time it is about coved-19 and stability. Biden may not be the dream candidate everyone can fall in love with. But he is a medium that most know and more importantly has a CV that’s a lil more than that of a reality show host.

Minus the name recognition. Also, if Kamala would be a bad pick because “she’s a cop” then how exactly is Demings any better?

Being a cop is a good thing for Demings. She could be seen as a "tough cop mom" to voters, which is an interesting selling point.

Besides, Demings is from the swing state FL (whereas Kamala Harris is just from CA).

The name recognition will easily rise once she's confirmed as Biden's VP choice + a few national ads.

She could be a secret weapon for Biden (not only for winning FL, but also Black-rich GA, NC and the rust-belt states WI, MI and PA which are also full with Black voters).
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1452 on: May 17, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »

TODAY is the day. Many are FINALLY joining me on the DEMINGS TRAIN! CHOO-CHOO or should I say WOO-HOO! Wink

Just like Tim Russert said in 2000. FLORIDA! FLORIDA! FLORIDA!

Florida and any ONE of these (Michigan, Penn or Wisconsin) and Biden becomes the next President.

Biden NEEDS a Floridian on the ballot to give himself the best chance of winning the election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1453 on: May 17, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »

This is more realistic than CCM that already said she is gonna stay in Senate due to chairing the DSCC, and people still says she is gonna be Veep. Just like Whitmer isn't leaving MI during a Pandemic
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1454 on: May 17, 2020, 09:45:56 AM »

This is all part of the process. Early last week we got the articles about Kamala, later in the week we had ones touting Amy's experience.

Expect future one's regarding Biden being impressed by Whitmer's "leadership skills" and Warren's "policy expertise." It's all part of the vetting process.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1455 on: May 17, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »

TODAY is the day. Many are FINALLY joining me on the DEMINGS TRAIN! CHOO-CHOO or should I say WOO-HOO! Wink

Just like Tim Russert said in 2000. FLORIDA! FLORIDA! FLORIDA!

Florida and any ONE of these (Michigan, Penn or Wisconsin) and Biden becomes the next President.

Biden NEEDS a Floridian on the ballot to give himself the best chance of winning the election.

What exactly makes you think that voters in northern Florida or in Miami would particularly care if a Rep from Orlando is on the ticket? Florida is a really big state and is made up of very distinct regions. Unless you're a statewide elected official you're not normally known by the whole state.

Now of course the I-4 corridor is the swingy part of the state, and Demings could potentially (emphasis on potential) help there, but that's not all there is to winning Florida. Clinton won the counties of the I-4 corridor 50-45%; she still lost the state.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1456 on: May 17, 2020, 10:13:20 AM »

Liz shouldn't be picked. I think it's better for her to stay in the senate and push for her issues. Biden should pick someone largely in line with him and who is ready to succeed him in four or eight years. Liz adds little balance to the ticket other than being a woman. She has neither a strong base among blacks, nor among Hispanics. And I think her brand could hurt in critical suburbs. It should be one of CCM, Kamala, Whitmer or Klobuchar (in that order). Not even the bros are wild about her; if Uncle Joe wants a progressive, I'd even prefer Pressley over her (big minus: she's not very experienced). Baldwin would be great, but Democrats can't risk losing her seat.

Warren appeals to progressives, unlike Harris. And I’m not sure why we’re assuming Harris has so much more of a base among black voters when she didn’t even make it to the primaries. I agree with you on Baldwin.

Most of the progressives Warren appeals to live in blue states, so it doesn't really matter or actually hurts in the Suburbs of Phoenix or Detroit. Not to mention Warren's brand isn't so great in Florida. I think Kamala has a case to make in the African American community, especially among black women, who could see her as inspirational figure. Her selection would underline how much Joe Biden cares about them. CCM, Klobuchar and Whitmer have slightly other strengths, but wouldn't be the risk Warren is in critical territory. I'm not saying Warren would cost him the election, I think she's a fine person, but may not be the best pick for a number of reasons.

The problem with that thinking is that black women don’t really identify with Harris. What a lot of Democrats, particularly white and establishment ones, don’t understand is that having a black on the ticket doesn’t automatically make black voters go “Oh yeah, I wanna vote for her bc she looks like me”. The voters that are swayed by that (older black voters) are already enamored with Biden.

The ones that need a boost are younger black voters, and they don’t care what you look like. They care about what you’re campaigning on now and how that compares your record. Harris wasn’t well liked by them because of her prosecutorial record. Now was she a bad AG? No, I wouldn’t say that by any stretch of the imagination. But black voters under 30 are rightfully suspicious of any law enforcement. So that counts out Demings as well.

If you want a black VP that’ll make the most positive difference among these voters, pick Pressley. Or Warren if you finally realize skin tone doesn’t translate to increased support among a demographic group.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1457 on: May 17, 2020, 12:23:06 PM »

The A Random Boston Globe Columnist (NOT their Editorial Board) endorses Val Demings for Vice-President:

OPINION

Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings

The case for a member of Congress who is Orlando’s former police chief.

By Jeff Jacoby Globe Columnist,Updated May 17, 2020, 4:00 a.m.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/17/opinion/bidens-best-vp-choice-val-demings

FTFY
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1458 on: May 17, 2020, 12:25:55 PM »

Hold on, this seems like new information if we're to take this seriously:

The search committee Biden recently announced is tasked with vetting about a dozen candidates, but Biden advisors say he’s going to make the ultimate decision based on “his gut” and he hasn’t made his mind up. He plans to make an announcement by July.

It was previously reported that the vetting might take until July or so to be completed, but the fact that Biden's planning to then announce his decision in July and will not wait until August is new information.....assuming that Politico has this right, and isn't just confused.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1459 on: May 17, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »

But far less experienced. 4 years in the House and a local police chief isn't usually VP material in terms of experience. Especially when we're talking about a prez who's turning 80 in the middle of his (1st) term. Demings is still more experienced than Abrams for sure and would be far from the worst possible pick, but Harris has definitely more to offer. She's been a senator for the same time and 1.5 term AG of the most populous state in the nation. And she's run for national office already, making her battletested and well known across the country. That her campaign failed isn't disqualifying either, as Biden himself proved the be a fine pick for Obama despite his horrible showing in the 2008 primaries.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1460 on: May 17, 2020, 12:42:35 PM »

I thought "Val" stands for "Valerie", but in fact it's short for "Valdez Venita" Demings (born Butler).

Valdez Venita sounds kinda Latino too ... is part of her ancestry also Mexican or something ?
She was named "Valdez" after a childless friend of her mother. She is not blaxican
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1461 on: May 17, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »

That FAU poll had Demings at 3% in her home state for VP choices. She ain't it.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1462 on: May 17, 2020, 04:15:32 PM »

CCM is chairperson of the DSCC and isnt leaving the Senate and Whitmer as already stated numerous times isnt MI, during a Pandemic
DSCC doesn't matter in that way. Stop repeating it mindlessly like it's a fact.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1463 on: May 17, 2020, 04:40:00 PM »

CCM is chairperson of the DSCC and isnt leaving the Senate and Whitmer as already stated numerous times isnt MI, during a Pandemic
DSCC doesn't matter in that way. Stop repeating it mindlessly like it's a fact.

She already said she doesn't want it. All the Veep does is break ties in the Senate and travel to Israel, China, and UK and Canada and Australia

It's not a job everyone wants. But, Warren says she would take, even Harris, says she prefers to be Senator
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1464 on: May 17, 2020, 04:51:19 PM »

I know absolutely nothing about Val Demings, but I checked her Wikipedia page.

Interesting.

I thought "Val" stands for "Valerie", but in fact it's short for "Valdez Venita" Demings (born Butler).

Valdez Venita sounds kinda Latino too ... is part of her ancestry also Mexican or something ?

That would be amazing.

She also worked as a Social Worker and comes from a poor working-class family and later on was a cop. That's ideal for a Democratic candidate.

She would be a great pick for VP.
No, she is not Hispanic.

It's actually fairly common within the African-American community to give children French, Islamic, & sometimes Spanish first names. The names: Monique, Chantal, Andre, Antoine, Lamar, Jamal, Malik, Aisha, Aaliyah, Kareem, Khalil, Antonio, Lorenzo, Alonzo, Mario, Maya, Savannah, Sierra, Alicia, etc are all of French, Arabic/Islamic or Spanish origin.

It stems from the 1960s & 1970s because of the rise of Black consciousness and Black power movements like the Black Panther Party and the Nation of Islam. Many African-Americans wanted to get away from British/Anglo-Saxon/"white" names.

In Val Demings case (she was born in the '50s), Priest of Moloch explained how she got her name.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1465 on: May 17, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »

That FAU poll had Demings at 3% in her home state for VP choices. She ain't it.

VP polls are just tests of name recognition. They mean nothing.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1466 on: May 17, 2020, 06:30:56 PM »

I know absolutely nothing about Val Demings, but I checked her Wikipedia page.

Interesting.

That would be amazing.

She also worked as a Social Worker and comes from a poor working-class family and later on was a cop. That's ideal for a Democratic candidate.

She would be a great pick for VP.
No, she is not Hispanic.

It's actually fairly common within the African-American community to give children French, Islamic, & sometimes Spanish first names. The names: Monique, Chantal, Andre, Antoine, Lamar, Jamal, Malik, Aisha, Aaliyah, Kareem, Khalil, Antonio, Lorenzo, Alonzo, Mario, Maya, Savannah, Sierra, Alicia, etc are all of French, Arabic/Islamic or Spanish origin.

It stems from the 1960s & 1970s because of the rise of Black consciousness and Black power movements like the Black Panther Party and the Nation of Islam. Many African-Americans wanted to get away from British/Anglo-Saxon/"white" names.

In Val Demings case (she was born in the '50s), Priest of Moloch explained how she got her name.

Or in my case, after my mom’s favorite actor in the 90’s.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #1467 on: May 18, 2020, 12:19:54 AM »

The Boston Globe endorses Val Demings for Vice-President:

OPINION

Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings

The case for a member of Congress who is Orlando’s former police chief.

By Jeff Jacoby Globe Columnist,Updated May 17, 2020, 4:00 a.m.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/17/opinion/bidens-best-vp-choice-val-demings

Uhh no they didn't. You might want to read that again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1468 on: May 18, 2020, 03:08:34 AM »

Warren will be picked and since it has been pushed back to Aug, Biden probably waits to 4th of July weekend to select her
Elgato1978
Rookie
« Reply #1469 on: May 18, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »

While all the veep names dropped on this thread are all qualified in their rights but if we are looking for a value added person who will by their being on the ticket would excite the party. So this candidate must have a national profile, is popular or from a key state, is complimentary to the Presidential candidates vision and has something the candidate does not have. So I would like to ask aside from Val or Harris who would be a good VP with the above qualifiers and why?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1470 on: May 18, 2020, 07:52:49 AM »

Warren is the best choice, she can debate very well and will beat Pence in a debate, she will probably be picked around 4th of July weekend.

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1471 on: May 18, 2020, 08:04:52 AM »

Not that it means anything, but my Dad (who was a Republican voter until Trump, and preferred Bernie to Biden in the primaries) thinks Susan Rice should be the VP choice since Biden needs to emphasize experience and competence. I did bring up the Benghazi interviews, but he claimed political memories are so short nowadays no one will care about what happened in late 2012.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1472 on: May 18, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »

Not that it means anything, but my Dad (who was a Republican voter until Trump, and preferred Bernie to Biden in the primaries) thinks Susan Rice should be the VP choice since Biden needs to emphasize experience and competence. I did bring up the Benghazi interviews, but he claimed political memories are so short nowadays no one will care about what happened in late 2012.
Well, I'm sorry to inform your father that Susan Rice would be a horrendous VP pick.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #1473 on: May 18, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »

Ro Khanna doubling down on Warren as the VP choice with an op-ed in the Boston Globe today, saying that by choosing her Biden can "channel FDR".

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1474 on: May 18, 2020, 02:02:44 PM »

Her DNA test and relentless woke politics is already a needless distraction Biden doesn't need.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies