Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:26:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362703 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2020, 09:37:45 PM »

She is so thirsty about it. I can’t.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2020, 09:40:09 PM »

LMAO Stacey you gotta chill girl.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2020, 01:42:34 AM »

First rule of the veepstakes: you act like you don't want it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2020, 01:51:43 AM »

IIRC Biden himself declined to even be vetted at first. Obama (&/or his team) had to practically beg him to sign off on it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2020, 01:54:32 AM »

I think the reason why so many people like Whitmer and Harris has turned the Veep spot down, but Klobuchar,  its obvious, its coronavirus.  Consequently,  it's a commuters job and traveling abroad is a necessity. China and Korea and Japan is the requirement in addition to our English allies and Israel, and coronavirus is a risk, but Klobuchar has already been exposed to coronavirus due to her hubby and can fight the disease, she will be the Veep. It's a 75 percent chance, no one wants it, now. The samething if Biden has to choose a SOS.

That's why Harris says she isnt a viable candidate for any position in Biden's administration, but will help him get elected
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #280 on: April 02, 2020, 02:11:31 AM »

IIRC Biden himself declined to even be vetted at first. Obama (&/or his team) had to practically beg him to sign off on it.

He wanted to become Obama's SoS and thought that VP was a useless position.
The funny thing is that according to "Game Change" the only person who at the beginning predicted that Biden was the odds-on favorite for VP was ...Hillary.
chibul
Rookie
« Reply #281 on: April 02, 2020, 02:19:54 AM »

Imagine if Amy Klobuchar was nominated for VP and Al Franken was appointed the senator!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #282 on: April 02, 2020, 02:27:45 AM »

I'd be disappointed if Abrams is picked. Her selection wouldn't be one based on qualification, but merely because she checks the "AA woman" box. She should run 4 gov again in 2022. I'm optimistic Kamala Harris will be the VP nominee, and she deserves it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2020, 02:29:49 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2020, 02:33:55 AM by Cory Booker »

He wanted to become Obama's SoS and thought that VP was a useless position.
The funny thing is that according to "Game Change" the only person who at the beginning predicted that Biden was the odds-on favorite for VP was ...Hillary.

Biden and the Daleys and Axelrod have a long history going back to 1968 when Daley Sr was campaigning for Humphrey

That's why Kerry mistakingly picked John Edward's for Veep in 2004 due to Axelrod as his campaign manager,  but Gephardt was the strongest. Axelrod managed Mondale's campaign during the Harold Washington yrs during Ferraro yrs, before he was campaign manager of Daley Jr after Harold Washington died
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #284 on: April 02, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »

NYT has a new story on the VP search, mentioning that Harris and Klobuchar are the two most frequently mentioned names among Biden associates:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/us/politics/joe-biden-vice-president-choice.html

There is not yet a consensus choice or a sense of who would deliver a surefire boost to the potential ticket, according to those interviewed, many of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, though the two names most frequently mentioned were Senators Kamala Harris and Amy Klobuchar. And his supporters are divided over whether Mr. Biden should prioritize selecting a woman of color as his running mate or whether regional considerations, like ties to the industrial Midwest, should hold greater weight.

In addition to Harris and Klobuchar, the story notes that he’s already mentioned Whitmer as an option and that Warren has been floated, and:

Other names often mentioned by allies include Senator Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada and Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham of New Mexico, two Latina leaders from the West; Representative Val Demings of Florida; and Stacey Abrams, the 2018 candidate for governor in Georgia.

Mr. Clyburn has also publicly floated others including Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms of Atlanta, an early and loyal supporter of Mr. Biden.

There may also be a premium put on diversity within the search committee:

Several Biden allies suggested it would be important for the search panel itself to reflect the diversity of the party, so that any disappointed constituencies feel at least that they were listened to in the process.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »

VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2020, 07:25:52 PM »

Imagine if Amy Klobuchar was nominated for VP and Al Franken was appointed the senator!
I hate how we had to get rid of Franken because of the MeToo nonsense
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2020, 07:36:02 PM »

I hate how we had to get rid of Franken because of the MeToo nonsense

#MeToo wasn't nonsense, but the politically-motivated hitjob that consisted of the claims against him most definitely were.
iceman
United States

« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2020, 07:38:59 PM »

I just don't get the Stacey Abrams hype, she hasn't proved anything other than being a sore loser. Gretchen Whitmer would be a smart pick.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »

I asked this a couple of days ago and got no answers, so maybe this time I'll be more lucky.
Which exactly are Klobuchar's apostasies that make her a "moderate" and anathema to the left-wing of the party?

Her biggest flaws are being boring and not particularly intelligent.

As somebody who hopes that they're considered by their brethren to be a decent human being, I don't know how to express my disgust with this characterization. Jesus f**king christ.

She couldn't name the President of Mexico, something that 90% of this site could do. And as Pete pointed out, she sits on the very Committee that deals with trade and such. Klobuchar is a light weight, a paper tiger.

Oh, give me a break! You don't get to go to Yale & then Chicago Law before then rising to become a major metropolitan area's District Attorney, your state's U.S. Senator, & a major candidate for President of the United States if you're "not particularly intelligent," & you know what? I think you know that. But no, one bad brainfart on the scale of a misstep that literally anybody & everybody can make & has made from time to time & all of that's just negated. Obviously.

Next you're gonna tell me that Barack f**king Obama himself was "not particularly intelligent" because of that one time where he said there were 57 states.

Obama obviously meant 47, and got confused putting it in the context of going to all 50.

Klobuchar is not ready to be president. And if you're this comfortable with someone who knows so little about our neighbors, you're part of the problem.

Way to address the actual substance of what I said.

If you're comfortable with haranguing a professional woman about a mere brainfart like it was a war crime, then you're part of a much bigger problem.

It's not a brainfart, it's a geopolitical question mark and should be treated as such

It is geopolitical Trivial Pursuit. Admittedly, knowing the president of Mexico is more important and knowledge worthy than say the prime minister of Bulgaria, but it doesn't necessarily mean she's ignorant of us Mexican policy.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that, despite being a rabid political geek like just about every poster here, this is one a few times in my life I honestly can't tell you who the president of Mexico is without Googling it. Hell, the only serve one term down there anyway.

In short, nice to know, but it doesn't mean she's ignorant or even not educated on issues of trade, the influence of drug cartels, immigration, Etc.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #290 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:37 PM »

"Much"
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #291 on: April 02, 2020, 08:50:00 PM »

So from what we've heard so far, Abrams isn't under consideration and the shortlist appears to be: Harris, CCM, Klobuchar, Whitmer, and Warren.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #292 on: April 02, 2020, 08:56:58 PM »

So from what we've heard so far, Abrams isn't under consideration and the shortlist appears to be: Harris, CCM, Klobuchar, Whitmer, and Warren.

Please not Warren. I love her, but we need some youth to contrast with Biden, and it's not worth giving her senate seat up even for several months.

CCM seems like a bit of a lightweight to me. Yes, she's actually won State wide office, to the Senate no less, feels like she brings nothing else to the table other than being a Hispanic woman. I wish she was in her second term at least.

I'm torn between Klobuchar, Harris, and witmer. Witmer is probably my least favorite of the three. She seems cool enough, but she's rather new. But boy wouldn't it be great to tack down Michigan? I guess the former prosecutor me likes Klobuchar and Harris and thinks either one of them would kick ass at the job. While I think Biden will win Minnesota anyway, it would be nice having Klobuchar helping to make it less competitive and needy of resources. Even though she made no Headway among black voters while running for president, I have this wild delusional hope that potential of becoming the first black vice president, let alone the first black female vice president, might at least light a mini fire under black turnout. The drop-off there really sunk Clinton last time.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:24 PM »

In order of Preference:

1. CCM
2 (tie) Warren
2 (tie) Harris
4. Whitmer
5. Klobuchar
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »

as for me:
1. Warren
2. Whitmer
3. CCM
4. Klobuchar
5. Harris
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2020, 09:08:09 PM »

Of those five, I’d vote:
1.) Warren
2.) CCM
3.) Whitmer
4.) Harris
5.) Klobuchar
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »

Warren > CCM > Whitmer > Harris > Klobuchar for sure
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2020, 09:16:33 PM »

The reason I have Harris and Warren above Whitmer is because Whitmer is less than two years into her Governorship and there's a good chance of a second wave of this hitting in the fall, thus I think it would be a bad move for Biden to pick a Governor.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2020, 09:17:04 PM »

I asked this a couple of days ago and got no answers, so maybe this time I'll be more lucky.
Which exactly are Klobuchar's apostasies that make her a "moderate" and anathema to the left-wing of the party?

Her biggest flaws are being boring and not particularly intelligent.

As somebody who hopes that they're considered by their brethren to be a decent human being, I don't know how to express my disgust with this characterization. Jesus f**king christ.

She couldn't name the President of Mexico, something that 90% of this site could do. And as Pete pointed out, she sits on the very Committee that deals with trade and such. Klobuchar is a light weight, a paper tiger.

Oh, give me a break! You don't get to go to Yale & then Chicago Law before then rising to become a major metropolitan area's District Attorney, your state's U.S. Senator, & a major candidate for President of the United States if you're "not particularly intelligent," & you know what? I think you know that. But no, one bad brainfart on the scale of a misstep that literally anybody & everybody can make & has made from time to time & all of that's just negated. Obviously.

Next you're gonna tell me that Barack f**king Obama himself was "not particularly intelligent" because of that one time where he said there were 57 states.

Obama obviously meant 47, and got confused putting it in the context of going to all 50.

Klobuchar is not ready to be president. And if you're this comfortable with someone who knows so little about our neighbors, you're part of the problem.

Way to address the actual substance of what I said.

If you're comfortable with haranguing a professional woman about a mere brainfart like it was a war crime, then you're part of a much bigger problem.

It's not a brainfart, it's a geopolitical question mark and should be treated as such

It is geopolitical Trivial Pursuit. Admittedly, knowing the president of Mexico is more important and knowledge worthy than say the prime minister of Bulgaria, but it doesn't necessarily mean she's ignorant of us Mexican policy.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that, despite being a rabid political geek like just about every poster here, this is one a few times in my life I honestly can't tell you who the president of Mexico is without Googling it. Hell, the only serve one term down there anyway.

In short, nice to know, but it doesn't mean she's ignorant or even not educated on issues of trade, the influence of drug cartels, immigration, Etc.

Not to mention, the fact that she's literally a member of the Border Security & Immigration subcommittee clearly indicates that she's qualified on this issue. If she wasn't, she wouldn't have sought to serve on that committee, & Schumer wouldn't have signed off on putting her there.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2020, 09:19:27 PM »

1. CCM (Enthusiastically)
2. Whitmer (Enthusiastically)
3. Harris (Enthusiastically)
4. Warren
5. Klobuchar