Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:13:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363126 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2020, 12:26:27 PM »

lol why is everyone overreacting to a poll where two tickets have 8% undecided and one has 6% undecided?  That's literally meaningless
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2020, 12:29:37 PM »

If it's Warren, she'll need to resign before the election so we can get a special election to replace her in time for the new (presumably Democratic, but who knows) senator to be sworn in in January.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »

Warren as Biden's VP makes a lot more sense than we initially realized. And if Biden's main concern is picking someone fit to do the job of President, her brand of competence is a strong reinforcement for that.

Yeah, there's a reason he promised her the vice presidency had he ran in 2016.

Wait, do you have a source on this?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »

Warren as Biden's VP makes a lot more sense than we initially realized. And if Biden's main concern is picking someone fit to do the job of President, her brand of competence is a strong reinforcement for that.

Yes, from 2016.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »

One thing is clear here: People want Warren as Biden's VP! D or R, anyone! Trump would love it, too!
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2020, 02:20:11 PM »

Yes, from 2016.

I love this, thank you so much.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »

Cortez-Masto makes the most sense to me pre- and post-COVID19 pandemic politics.

Biden is underperforming with Latino voters, not black voters. Cortez-Masto helps in a critical swing state and the wider Sun Belt (Arizona particularly), speaks Spanish obviously and has a historic career, and in my view is a more charismatic speaker than a number of other potential running mates (Duckworth, Baldwin).

I think all sitting Governors are out. Nobody can afford to abandon their state when COVID flares up again in the fall. The bench wasn't strong in the first place.

Klobuchar and Harris don't add much to the ticket in my view. There is a reason they lost. Harris has a horrendous campaign and clearly was a micro-manager, completely shooting herself in the foot. Klobuchar couldn't beat Pete for grabbing moderate + Trump county voters. Granted, Joe Biden did horrible in the 2008 primary and still ended up on the winning ticket.

Bringing someone outside of the 2020 field of candidates can also be beneficial to unity because then other supporters don't feel jipped if it's not their candidate. If you pick Klobuchar or Harris, how do Warren supporters feel motivated? A "fresh" face can be more unifying and drive up enthusiasm.

She would be a strong pick, I agree.

I would strongly argue against Liz Warren. First rule for vice presidential picks is "do no harm". Liz is controversial, might alienate suburban voters and doesn't turn out a huge constituency Biden needs very badly. Not even the Bernie people are thrilled about her. She's more effective to stay in the senate. Biden should go with CCM, Kamala, Val Demings or Amy Klobuchar. My personal favorite remains Nanette Barragan, but I can't see her being picked.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »

Harris said on Sharpton show she isnt a candidate for Veep, she is staying in the Senate. I believe what she says.

Its probably Klobuchar, she is the only one that hasnt denied Veep speculation

Everyone says until being asked. Saying "yup, I'd like to VP" is not something candidates usually do.

I can see Biden nominating Harris for SCOTUS, too, since he promised to nominate a black woman.
Harris has no interest in this. Can we stop name dropping her for stuff she said she didn’t want? She’s not the only black woman on Earth. There are plenty of qualified black women federal judges that Biden can appoint. When I hear Kamala name dropped for lesser roles like AG or SCOTUS it feels very token-ish. She ran for PRESIDENT. And turned down Obama for AG twice.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »

Warrens the only vp who would boost youth turnout for Biden which he desperately needs The youth are not fans of Harris Klobuchar and don't care who Demmings and CCM and Duckworth are
Many of the young people I know backed Bernie, and many of those same people not only refuse to vote for Joe but also DESPISE Warren. They see her as being part of a conspiracy to undermine Bernie. It's dumb. Maybe the subsection of Bernie fans I once aligned with are just a minority. I hope so.

But yeah, having TWO 70+ yo's on the ticket is a mindblowingly horrible idea.
indietraveler

« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2020, 04:52:59 PM »

Seems premature to say Warren is the best pick based on one poll that doesn't even show a real difference between the other choices.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2020, 06:24:28 PM »

Klobuchar is as bland and uninspiring as Tim Kaine, and would be another kick to voters on the left who didn’t want Biden. Not to mention we’d be giving up a Senate seat in an increasingly close state (though we might be able to get Franken appointed). She doesn’t offer much electorally at all. Just as the 2016 VP Debate was the Clash of America’s Step-Dads, 2020 with Klobuchar would be America’s Corny Aunt vs Step Dad.

Harris and Demings would face similar issues with their law enforcement past. If BidenWorld’s aim is to increase black turnout, don’t select former prosecutors and cops. Young black voters will hate it. And Demings has spent 3 years in the House. She’s not ready to be President.

Cortez Masto also has a prosecutor’s background which won’t be popular with minorities, but may offer appeal to Hispanics. MAY. She’s largely unknown nationally and there isn’t really much time to build her brand.

There’s not much downside to Duckworth electorally. But I’ll be the one to say it: the right is gonna mount a whisper campaign about her own health and fitness to be President due to her disability. It’ll be disgusting, but it is a risk they’ll face.

Warren would help secure the left, but there is a vocal portion of Bernie supporters online who blame her for his loss (they aren’t near a majority and I don’t believe these guys were gonna vote Dem anyway) which may be an issue. Not to mention her and Biden’s clashes in the past.

ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »

If it's Warren, she'll need to resign before the election so we can get a special election to replace her in time for the new (presumably Democratic, but who knows) senator to be sworn in in January.

My guess is that the MA legislature would quickly pass a bill mandating that the governor's appointment be of the same party as the resigning Senator in the event of Warren being picked.  And as the Democrats' hold super majorities in both houses there, they should be able to override a Baker veto.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »

My guess is that the MA legislature would quickly pass a bill mandating that the governor's appointment be of the same party as the resigning Senator in the event of Warren being picked.  And as the Democrats' hold super majorities in both houses there, they should be able to override a Baker veto.

Hopefully it further mandates that the Governor's appointment must be selected from a list of 3 prospective appointees submitted by the state party with which the outgoing Senator was affiliated (like in Hawaii & North Carolina) so that the Governor doesn't just appoint a Republican who says they're a 'Democrat.' In this case, it's Baker, so I don't actually believe he'd do something like that (unlike other Republican governors), but might as well be better safe than sorry.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2020, 11:04:52 PM »

The criticism against black women that they are "cops" reminds me of 2007 when people were accusing Obama of not being "black enough".
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:00 PM »

The criticism against black women that they are "cops" reminds me of 2007 when people were accusing Obama of not being "black enough".

And the criticism against Harris is every bit as stupid as the complaints against Obama were.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2020, 01:52:44 AM »

For those asking about Duckworth... there’s the case of her denigrating Sanders and the people of New York, as well as the workplace retaliation lawsuit against her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/duckworth-settles-workplace-retaliation-lawsuit/2008001/%3famp

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #216 on: March 31, 2020, 02:12:27 AM »

For those asking about Duckworth... there’s the case of her denigrating Sanders and the people of New York, as well as the workplace retaliation lawsuit against her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/duckworth-settles-workplace-retaliation-lawsuit/2008001/%3famp

Which brings up a point I made earlier -- a lot of Kloubchar's and Harris's dirty laundry is already out there due to their presidential campaigns.  People who are saying that CCM and Duckworth are so much better should take note that the national media has not given either a close examination yet.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2020, 04:10:41 AM »

Which brings up a point I made earlier -- a lot of Kloubchar's and Harris's dirty laundry is already out there due to their presidential campaigns.  People who are saying that CCM and Duckworth are so much better should take note that the national media has not given either a close examination yet.

Exactly. We don't know what a thorough vetting might bring up, and probably we never will.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2020, 07:06:13 AM »

I don't think the VP makes that much of a difference in the election anyway does it? Does anyone seriously vote for a candidate based on their running mate? If I were Biden I would prioritise someone who could be my successor in 2024, someone young and qualified. As much as I would love him to pick Warren I don't know how much help she would be in the election and she would be I think 75 in 2024?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2020, 07:09:06 AM »

I don't think the VP makes that much of a difference in the election anyway does it? Does anyone seriously vote for a candidate based on their running mate? If I were Biden I would prioritise someone who could be my successor in 2024, someone young and qualified. As much as I would love him to pick Warren I don't know how much help she would be in the election and she would be I think 75 in 2024?

Nixon famously said a running-mate can't help the candidate, but can at least not hurt the ticket, and that's true in most cases.

To be fair, there were rare examples of a running-mate actually delivering their home states, like Muskie did for Humphrey or LBJ for Kennedy (the latter being probably not very clean).
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2020, 07:15:47 AM »

I think it's gonna be Klobaucher and i'll tell you why.  Remember when that staffer gave her a salad without a fork?  What did she do?  Ate it with a comb.  You know what that shows?  Gumption.  You know who likes gumption?  Joe Biden.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2020, 07:16:50 AM »

538's discussion of the running mate choices: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-biden-choose-a-running-mate-based-on-electability-ideology-or-identity/.

TL;DR: they think it will be Harris.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »

And one can only hope that it's indeed her.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2020, 09:58:18 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2020, 10:18:58 AM by Landslide Lyndon »

I'm sure Bernie bros will be apoplectic reading that Harris is actually one of the most liberal senators.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »

I'm sure Bernie bros will be apoplectic reading that Harris is actually one of the most liberal senator.

kAmaLa iS a cOP!!1!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies