Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:37:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 358146 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »
« edited: March 23, 2020, 08:56:57 PM by Ogre Mage »

Honestly, if the list is Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Tammy Duckworth, Tammy Baldwin, Cortez-Masto, Demmings; he's most likely going to be Kamala Harris or Amy Klobuchar to be VP, his criteria is for someone who agrees with him completely and who he gets along with

I also think Biden is looking very closely at Harris and Klobuchar.  He was asked if he wanted a running mate who had experience running as a presidential candidate herself.  Biden replied said it was "important" to have a running mate with that experience.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2020, 09:26:31 PM »

Cortez-Masto, Duckworth, or Baldwin (in that order) would be my recommendations for Biden. That said, it seems likely that Harris or Klobuchar are the most likely to be picked at this point (time could prove me wrong though) and if that's the case, Harris would be the better choice of the two. Klobuchar would be a great pick for Bernie if he were in Biden's position now, but would be a terrible pick for Biden. Biden/Klobuchar would be Clinton/Kaine 2.0.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2020, 10:15:43 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2020, 10:20:40 PM by Orser67 »

Warren is out. Not that a 70 year old woman who would have a GOP replacement would be particularly appealing in the first place. We also forget that she constantly butted heads with the Obama administration. It’s not going to be her.

I think the 6 are all Senators/Governors: Amy/Kamala/Duckworth/Baldwin/CCM/Lujan Grisham

Yeah, this sounds about right, though I wouldn't rule out Whitmer or Demings.

I think Warren, Abrams, and Yates will definitely be on any long list and will be the subject of a lot of media speculation, but I'm skeptical that any of the three will actually be finalists. Same with Baldwin, given Senate implications, though I'm not sure just how much priority Biden will put on that (hopefully a lot).
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2020, 04:35:44 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2020, 10:17:32 AM by Progressive Icon Bill de Blasio »

I think it'll be Klobuchar over Harris. Biden has been very purposefully mentioning that his first Supreme Court nominee will be a black woman for a while now - and I don't think he'd be so quick to mention that if his *running mate* ticked those same boxes.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2020, 05:25:07 AM »

Honestly, I think it's either going to be Harris or Klob at this point.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »

RE: Whitmer. Why waste a governor of a very important swing state who's only been in office for a year that hasn't really been able to do anything bc of gerrymandered maps on the VP slot? Doesn't it make more sense to have her stay at home and get some stuff done once they get fair maps? She's also only 48, there's plenty of time for her to be in an admin's cabinet.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »

I'm guessing the whole "agrees on issues/gets along with" for a VP means Warren is not in contention?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2020, 02:28:36 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »

Biden says his current short list actually has about 12-15 names on it, but he wants to narrow it down to "about 11":

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »

Various business leaders who back Biden are pushing their own ideas for VP to Team Biden:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-narrows-vice-president-list-with-help-from-business-allies.html

The names being floated and pushed to Biden by this group include Sens. Kamala Harris and Amy Klobuchar, two of his former rivals in the primary; Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada; Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer; and Florida Rep. Val Demings, these people added.
Notably absent from the names mentioned to CNBC is Stacey Abrams, who was the Democratic nominee in Georgia’s 2018 gubernatorial race. She has publicly kept the door open to being a nominee for vice president. 
Many who have spoken with campaign officials believe Harris is the front-runner, but these people also cautioned that it is still too early to tell whom Biden will choose. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »

I'm guessing the whole "agrees on issues/gets along with" for a VP means Warren is not in contention?

Pretty much yes. I think he operates under the assumption that his vice president is more likely than previous officeholders to become president (probably through election in 2024 or maybe 2028). And he wants to make sure this woman is someone who doesn't go too far to the left. It may be a different story if Joe Biden was 57 years old instead of 77. It's certainly very likely his vice president will be the Democratic nominee whenever he decides to leave, in one cycle or two.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:43 PM »

Vetting will begin “some time in April”: https://twitter.com/KThomasDC/status/1242533236678541312

And while he hasn’t talked to any of the VP candidates about being vice president, he did talk to Klobuchar about her husband’s coronavirus diagnosis:

Babylon
Rookie
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »

Biden says his current short list actually has about 12-15 names on it, but he wants to narrow it down to "about 11":

Unrelated, but its good to see Biden. Like, just in general. He's become rather invisible the last week.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2020, 02:46:07 PM »

If Biden picks Duckworth it adds female and national security gravitas.....

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »

Biden has told Harry Reid that CCM is in his top three-

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2020, 04:02:41 PM »

Biden has told Harry Reid that CCM is in his top three-

I think Sen. Harris and Sen. Klobuchar round out the Top Three with Sen. Cortez Masto.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:03 PM »

Here's what Demings said a few weeks ago when asked about her openness to being Biden's running mate:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/08/congresswoman-val-demings-addresses-presidential-running-mate-rumors/

“It is particularly an honor for me that my name would be mentioned for such an important position,” she said. “Is it a job that I want? I’m not seeking out any position. I love being a member of Congress, but if asked, I would consider it an honor to serve my country in such a special way.”
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »

Here's what Demings said a few weeks ago when asked about her openness to being Biden's running mate:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/08/congresswoman-val-demings-addresses-presidential-running-mate-rumors/

“It is particularly an honor for me that my name would be mentioned for such an important position,” she said. “Is it a job that I want? I’m not seeking out any position. I love being a member of Congress, but if asked, I would consider it an honor to serve my country in such a special way.”

I don't think Demings is gonna get it, but I think she'd be very good. She's obviously not super well-known as a congresswoman, but she clearly commands respect in the caucus & would be a strong part of such a historic ticket.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2020, 11:57:35 PM »

If the country remains on lockdown it's going to be Harris or Klobuchar. The VP nominee won't have the space to introduce herself to the public the normal way. Choosing someone who ran for POTUS would be a bonus in that case.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2020, 07:22:11 PM »

Clyburn not a fan of Stacey Abrams as VP.

https://www.ft.com/content/bd88f5c4-6dbe-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

I ask whether Clyburn thinks Biden will pick Stacey Abrams, 46, the African-American former minority leader of the House in Georgia and rising Democratic star, as his running mate to help woo younger voters in November.

“I doubt it,” he says. “There’s something to be said for somebody who has been out there.”

Clyburn does want to see a black woman on the ticket, though. And some Democrats believe that Biden, who has vowed to pick a woman, will also be under heavy pressure to repay Clyburn for his critical endorsement.

Clyburn says there has been a lot of talk about Kamala Harris, the California senator who struggled in the Democratic primary. He says a “sleeper” in the race is Susan Rice, who served as national security adviser to Barack Obama. But he also stresses that “the bench of black women is much deeper than people think”.

While he believes Abrams does not have enough experience, he has his eyes on another Georgia politician. “There is a young lady right there in Georgia who I think would make a tremendous VP candidate, and that’s the mayor of Atlanta, Keisha Lance Bottoms.”
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »

I ask whether Clyburn thinks Biden will pick Stacey Abrams, 46, the African-American former minority leader of the House in Georgia and rising Democratic star, as his running mate to help woo younger voters in November.

“I doubt it,” he says. “There’s something to be said for somebody who has been out there.”

Clyburn does want to see a black woman on the ticket, though. And some Democrats believe that Biden, who has vowed to pick a woman, will also be under heavy pressure to repay Clyburn for his critical endorsement.

Clyburn says there has been a lot of talk about Kamala Harris, the California senator who struggled in the Democratic primary. He says a “sleeper” in the race is Susan Rice, who served as national security adviser to Barack Obama. But he also stresses that “the bench of black women is much deeper than people think”.

While he believes Abrams does not have enough experience, he has his eyes on another Georgia politician. “There is a young lady right there in Georgia who I think would make a tremendous VP candidate, and that’s the mayor of Atlanta, Keisha Lance Bottoms.”

TIL 10 years in city government makes one more qualified to be VP than 10 years in state government.

No doubt Abrams did or said (or more likely didn't do or didn't say) something that rubbed Clyburn the wrong way.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2020, 07:39:28 PM »

TIL 10 years in city government makes one more qualified to be VP than 10 years in state government.

No doubt Abrams did or said (or more likely didn't do or didn't say) something that rubbed Clyburn the wrong way.

Yes, executive experience typically makes somebody more qualified for an executive position than non-executive experience.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2020, 07:46:07 PM »

Yes, executive experience typically makes somebody more qualified for an executive position than non-executive experience.

A half-term in city government doesn't surpass leading a statewide caucus for 6 years. Abrams still has more relevant "executive" experience as a leader where it counts (wrangling people, generating consensus, organizing the legislature). The notion that a single day in an executive position somehow automatically makes one more qualified than years in legislative leadership is very short-sighted.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »

I think Abrams may have rubbed a lot of Biden people the wrong way back at the beginning of the race when there was utterly ludicrous speculation that she would run for president.

There was also equally ludicrous speculation that Biden was going to announce a Biden/Abrams ticket from the get-go.  Abrams was asked about it and said something along the lines of "I don't need Biden, I can get in the White House without his help."

I don't remember the exact quote.  But I remember my opinion of Abrams dropping after it.  This is unrelated to my consistently-held belief that she is totally unqualified for VP or Prez and should try winning Sen/Gov first.  Why not run against scumbag Loeffler?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »

Here’s a story that cites sources from people in Biden’s orbit about the current thinking about the search for a running mate:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/in-the-coronavirus-bunker-biden-thinking-a-lot-about-his-vp.html

A few highlights:

-Biden told donors on a recent conference call that he’ll soon “look closely at six or seven options”.

-Biden is highly rating his choice’s competence to serve as president, since he’s old and he may be picking his own replacement.  But for that same reason, he’s also highly rating picking someone who’s ideologically aligned with him.

Still, “I would put ‘someone who he’s comfortable with ideologically’ as number two [in importance],” said the congressman close to his team. The coronavirus crisis has elevated the main concern: “Number one is finding someone who is absolutely, undeniably ready to do the job if the unimaginable happens.” According to a handful of Biden’s close allies, this may render the case for some potential candidates who’ve never held statewide elected office — like former Georgia house minority leader Stacey Abrams, former acting attorney general Sally Yates, or Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms — harder to make.

-Schumer is urging Biden to pick someone who wouldn’t put a Senate seat at risk.  So he favors Harris (in the Senate, but her seat is safe D), Whitmer, or Demings.

-There’s division within Team Biden about whether to wait until the convention (or close to it) to name the running mate, or to make the announcement somewhat earlier, like May or June.

-Harris is friendly with Team Biden, despite her debate attack from last year, and the story notes that she was friends with Biden’s late son, Beau.

-In terms of other names:

A wide array of strategists, elected officials, and donors in frequent contact with Biden and his top advisers indeed told me without exception, and independently, that individual members of the former VP’s brain trust appeared to be more focused — informally — on Harris, Warren, and Klobuchar, with Whitmer, Demings, and Cortez Masto also likely to be in the mix.

One congressman “close to the Biden inner circle” predicted that Harris, Klobuchar, and Warren would all be in the final five for consideration.

Doesn’t Warren seem like an odd fit, given the premium put on ideological alignment?  I would think so, but the story notes that Biden has been moving closer to Warren on the issues:

Then there’s Warren, the candidate with whom Biden has had the most complicated relationship, dating back nearly two decades to Capitol Hill clashes. If any leading contender has obvious differences with Biden’s vision, it’s the Massachusetts progressive, but he told her in 2015 that if he ran the next year he would make her his running mate then. Since she exited the 2020 race, he has moved toward her on policy, and they have spoken twice on the phone, according to Democrats close to both. Perhaps the biggest question looming over Warren’s chances is how much work Biden thinks needs to be done to win over Sanders’s voters, and how useful Warren would be to achieving that goal.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies