IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 64835 times)
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: October 15, 2019, 03:55:43 AM »

I may not live in Iowa anymore (need to update my avatar) but I think this is going to be a sleeper race. Everyone thinks Ernst is safe. Yet Iowa has been one of the hardest-hit states by the tariff war, the economy, and ethanol. Mass layoffs have been happening, and farmers are struggling. I personally know several farmers in Iowa and at least one of them - who voted for Trump - said she and her husband have been seriously considering giving up their farming operation, as it's a struggle for them anymore. Sonny Perdue's comments about family farms certainly don't help things.

Everyone thinks that just because Theresa Greenfield isn't some massive Tom Vilsack-esque name that she's automatically a loser and that Iowa recruitment is terrible. Democrats specifically sought her out to run, and I think she's been at the top of their list for awhile. She probably would have won the 3rd District if her campaign manager hadn't have forged those signatures - that whole situation, PS, she handled amazingly and as well as anyone could have hoped for (fired him, tossed out all the signatures and made a remarkable effort to get all the signatures again within less than 48 hours). Kay Hagan was a nobody before she became a senator. Did anybody know who Scott Brown was before he got elected? And let's not forget; Joni herself nobody gave a second thought to, and everyone thought Braley would win. The Iowa Democratic Party is a lot better than it was even a year and a half ago, and Ernst is vulnerable. I consider the race Lean R, but it's closer to Tossup than Likely R. Trust me on this; I lived in Iowa and I saw firsthand the struggles the state is going through.
Ask Heidi Heitkamp Fred Hubbell about how these voters care about the tariffs.

Fixed

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #376 on: October 15, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #377 on: October 15, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »

No numbers yet, but Franken running ads suggests he's got a good amount of cash. This could be an interesting primary.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #378 on: October 15, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »

No numbers yet, but Franken running ads suggests he's got a good amount of cash. This could be an interesting primary.
Eddie Mauro self funded a million. All of this is good for Ernst.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #379 on: October 31, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »

Ernst was asked on local radio about her declining approval rating and increasing likelihood of a competitive race.

“Yep, you bet. And no, that’s actually, if you go back, I think Charlie Cook is the one that reported that,” Ernst said. “You know one of his, one of his, you know, studies. So, there are a lot of vulnerable folks out there. And yes, just with changing, shifting demographics in Iowa. Um, you know, that is true. I’ll say that, that is true.”

Since the 2010 census, Iowa is estimated to have gone from 3% black to 4%  and from 4% Hispanic to 5%, so apparently Joni thinks a tidal wave of the browns are taking her down.

https://iowastartingline.com/2019/10/28/ernst-blames-shifting-demographics-for-tough-reelection-campaign/
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #380 on: October 31, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »

Ernst was asked on local radio about her declining approval rating and increasing likelihood of a competitive race.

“Yep, you bet. And no, that’s actually, if you go back, I think Charlie Cook is the one that reported that,” Ernst said. “You know one of his, one of his, you know, studies. So, there are a lot of vulnerable folks out there. And yes, just with changing, shifting demographics in Iowa. Um, you know, that is true. I’ll say that, that is true.”

Since the 2010 census, Iowa is estimated to have gone from 3% black to 4%  and from 4% Hispanic to 5%, so apparently Joni thinks a tidal wave of the browns are taking her down.

https://iowastartingline.com/2019/10/28/ernst-blames-shifting-demographics-for-tough-reelection-campaign/

Shows how bigoted she is. Really hope we can take her down, though I'm not optimistic.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #381 on: October 31, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »

I’m going to be charitable and think she’s referring to young people being anti-Trump and also, possibly, that r numbers with educated suburbanites are tanking. She knows Iowa isn’t suddenly California.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #382 on: October 31, 2019, 10:37:18 AM »

Ernst is citing Charlie Cook lmao? She really isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer...
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »

If Ernst wins comfortably (which unfortunately is looking more likely each day,) it's because Iowa has become a red state, not because she's a "strong incumbent" or anything like that.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2019, 11:17:47 AM »

If Ernst wins comfortably (which unfortunately is looking more likely each day,) it's because Iowa has become a red state, not because she's a "strong incumbent" or anything like that.

You’re telling me a Republican candidate winning an open seat with 52% of the vote in 2014 hasn’t proven herself to be unusually strong?

So what if she got 65,000 fewer votes than Hillary Clinton got in Iowa in 2016. Ernst is *beloved.*
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »

You’re telling me a Republican candidate winning an open seat with 52% of the vote in 2014 hasn’t proven herself to be unusually strong?

So what if she got 65,000 fewer votes than Hillary Clinton got in Iowa in 2016. Ernst is *beloved.*

So? Mark Warner got 700,000 fewer votes than Donald Trump got in Virginia and he’s still beyond safe in 2020.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2019, 11:52:30 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2019, 12:30:26 PM by Lfromnj »

So? Mark Warner got 700,000 fewer votes than Donald Trump got in Virginia and he’s still beyond safe in 2020.
Imo california is a tossup. John Cox got more votes than  2014 Jerry Brown
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2019, 01:36:15 PM »

Do you think 2020 will be about the same, partisan-wise, as 2014?
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »

Iowa is trending rightward, and Ernst is very popular. Wouldn't surprise me if she won by 20.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »

Iowa is trending rightward, and Ernst is very popular. Wouldn't surprise me if she won by 20.

Tell me more about this rightward trend from 2016 to 2018 in Iowa.

How is Ernst’s popularity compared to other senators in the Morning Consult polls? I think she’s in the bottom 6.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #390 on: October 31, 2019, 02:28:26 PM »

How is Ernst’s popularity compared to other senators in the Morning Consult polls? I think she’s in the bottom 6.

Morning Consult is BS, they have Trump's approval in Iowa as worse than Virginia. Selzer, which is the gold standard Iowa pollster, has Ernst at 57% approval.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #391 on: October 31, 2019, 05:14:51 PM »

Selzer, which is the gold standard Iowa pollster, has Ernst at 57% approval.

How fresh is that poll? October, or a few weeks older?

It’s been an absolutely terrible year for Iowa farming and manufacturing. The floods in spring were devastating followed by the collapse of China trade talks.

But given how far to the right Iowa trended from 2016 to 2018, maybe she’s over 60% now. Smiley
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #392 on: November 01, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »

It’s been an absolutely terrible year for Iowa farming and manufacturing. The floods in spring were devastating followed by the collapse of China trade talks.

But given how far to the right Iowa trended from 2016 to 2018, maybe she’s over 60% now. Smiley

So you are blaming the floods on Ernst ? That's crazy, even for a Atlas democrat
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #393 on: November 01, 2019, 06:45:38 AM »

Morning Consult is BS, they have Trump's approval in Iowa as worse than Virginia. Selzer, which is the gold standard Iowa pollster, has Ernst at 57% approval.

Yeah, Morning consult polls are trash, they have Trump down in Nebraska and they give him better approval rate in VA than in OH
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #394 on: November 01, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »

So you are blaming the floods on Ernst ? That's crazy, even for a Atlas democrat

Yes, that’s precisely what I am doing. I am attributing the floods to Ernst. There is no other possible or more likely interpretation of what I meant. Thank you for clarifying things for everyone on this board.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #395 on: November 01, 2019, 07:56:19 AM »

Yes, that’s precisely what I am doing. I am attributing the floods to Ernst. There is no other possible or more likely interpretation of what I meant. Thank you for clarifying things for everyone on this board.

So why are you even talking about floods on a thread about IA-SEN ?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #396 on: November 01, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »

Because Iowa’s farmers were in terrible shape before the floods because of the Trade War, and still willing to give Trump and Ernst a chance, and since then a) Trump has screwed over ethanol producers by favoring petroleum producers and b) the floods in March knocked out any chance of it being a good harvest. Farmers’ positions are markedly worse than they were in February and Ernst has looked ineffective about helping them while also hugging trump.

I don’t think it’s a surprise that incumbents can be affected by events that are partially or totally outside their control. Famously, Obama took a beating from the BP oil spill and Ebola in africa.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #397 on: November 01, 2019, 03:45:55 PM »

Because Iowa’s farmers were in terrible shape before the floods because of the Trade War, and still willing to give Trump and Ernst a chance, and since then a) Trump has screwed over ethanol producers by favoring petroleum producers and b) the floods in March knocked out any chance of it being a good harvest. Farmers’ positions are markedly worse than they were in February and Ernst has looked ineffective about helping them while also hugging trump.

I don’t think it’s a surprise that incumbents can be affected by events that are partially or totally outside their control. Famously, Obama took a beating from the BP oil spill and Ebola in africa.

You and other Atlas democrats should really stop assuming that Trump will suddenly lose the support of Farmers. He is not : https://www.agweb.com/article/farmer-support-trump-rebounds-amid-impeachment-inquiry

And no, Ernst is not losing, no matter what you want to believe
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #398 on: November 01, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »

You and other Atlas democrats should really stop assuming that Trump will suddenly lose the support of Farmers. He is not : https://www.agweb.com/article/farmer-support-trump-rebounds-amid-impeachment-inquiry

You're a random French dude obsessing over Iowa politics. Holy sh**t.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #399 on: November 01, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2019, 05:55:43 PM by Frenchrepublican »

You're a random French dude obsessing over Iowa politics. Amercian politics in general (not just Iowa politics) Holy sh**t.

Well, political stuff sucks in France.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies