MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 12:31:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Author Topic: MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much  (Read 27402 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2018, 10:33:34 PM »

Omar seems pretty gross. Pretty bad that she'll be the actual candidate here.

The Democratic Steve King.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2018, 11:15:32 PM »

Highly disappointed that Champion dropped out. I’ll endorse whoever is most viable against Omar then (whether that be Kelliher or Torres Ray). If Omar’s the nominee I’ll support the Marijuana Party candidate in the general (assuming they run one).
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2018, 02:58:38 AM »

MoveOn and Democracy for America endorsed Ilhan Omar. Most of the non-Omar support seems to be coalescing around State Senator Patricia Torres Ray, rather than Margaret Anderson Kelliher, who doesn’t really seem to be running a visible campaign.

Noted: American progressive organizations are becoming increasingly antisemitic.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2018, 04:54:05 PM »

MoveOn and Democracy for America endorsed Ilhan Omar. Most of the non-Omar support seems to be coalescing around State Senator Patricia Torres Ray, rather than Margaret Anderson Kelliher, who doesn’t really seem to be running a visible campaign.

Noted: American progressive organizations are becoming increasingly antisemitic.

The anti-Semitic left in action
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »

Omar is a dreadful candidate and I hope she doesn't get past the primary. Why in the world is Dayton endorsing her?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »

Omar is a dreadful candidate and I hope she doesn't get past the primary. Why in the world is Dayton endorsing her?

Because there is a 95% chance she is the next congressperson from MN-05 and he wants to back a winner.

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »

This is identity politics at its worst. People are so enthralled with her story they ignore her views and issues. There are a lot of people on the left who back certain candidates because they check all the checkboxes, that pretty much explains Dayton's support.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2018, 09:48:34 PM »

DFA already was discredited in my view with the Northam drama last year, and now MoveOn has discredited itself by supporting an anti-Semite.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »

He's not fond of Kelliher, who was his chief primary opponent in 2010.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2018, 12:27:34 AM »

Because there is a 95% chance she is the next congressperson from MN-05 and he wants to back a winner.

Yeah, Omar’s (very likely) going to be the district’s next congresswoman, and given her limited upwards mobility within the state, she could very well end up being a lifer (50+ years).
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2018, 02:18:28 PM »

If Omar wins the primary (and with that, the general), Congress should refuse to seat her.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »

If Omar wins the primary (and with that, the general), Congress should refuse to seat her.

Why exactly? Serious question. Besides one questionable anti Israel tweet what exactly has she done that would merit that extraordinary step?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »

Why exactly? Serious question. Besides one questionable anti Israel tweet what exactly has she done that would merit that extraordinary step?
It puts her ability to be fair and just in her decision-making in Congress in question.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »

It puts her ability to be fair and just in her decision-making in Congress in question.

Should Steve King also not be seated? He has said far worse things according to many people.  I think King is a racist @sss but if he wins his election of course he should be seated.

Not seating a duly elected member of congress would be an extraordinary thing that would undermine our core democratic principles.

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »

Yeah, what’s the problem with Omar besides her stringent Anti-Israeli positions? I’m not seeing the big deal.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »

Referring to Omar as the “Democratic Steve King” or part of the “anti-Semitic left” is so absurd, and in no way has anything she done been even remotely hateful or discriminatory, let alone when compared to today’s Republican Party. It’s remarkable to see progressives who claim to support diversity in perspective and representation get weak in the knees the moment Republicans get triggered by a hijab.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »

Omar's comments about "Israel brainwashing the world" are not any sort of substantive policy criticism and instead reflect 19th century libels about Jews as a shadowy illuminati.

I agree that refusing to seat her is a nuclear option, but what should happen is that both houses of Congress should issue a bipartisan statement condemning the campaigns of Omar, Cockburn, Nehlen, and Jones as wholly unfit to serve in Congress.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2018, 03:46:11 PM »

Omar's comments about "Israel brainwashing the world" are not any sort of substantive policy criticism and instead reflect 19th century libels about Jews as a shadowy illuminati.

I agree that refusing to seat her is a nuclear option, but what should happen is that both houses of Congress should issue a bipartisan statement condemning the campaigns of Omar, Cockburn, Nehlen, and Jones as wholly unfit to serve in Congress.

This. No one is "triggered by a hijab"- we're triggered by blood libel and hateful comments that, decades ago, were amongst the biggest causes for murders and persecution of our people in pogroms.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »

Should Steve King also not be seated? He has said far worse things according to many people.  I think King is a racist @sss but if he wins his election of course he should be seated.

Not seating a duly elected member of congress would be an extraordinary thing that would undermine our core democratic principles.

Yeah, if a new-Nazi got elected, I wouldn’t be trying to get Congress to not seat them, but rather try to make them lose re-election. It would undermine our democracy and violate the 1st amendment to refuse to seat a member of Congress simply because of what they posted on Twitter. It would set a horrible precedent that would surely be used for partisan purposes in the future.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2018, 03:56:11 PM »

Seriously. I don’t care for her but if she’s elected she should obviously be seated
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2018, 04:18:47 PM »

Needs 60% to endorsed. It’s going to a 2nd ballot, and then all the way until the 10th ballot unless a candidate clears 60% or the convention is adjourned.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »

Needs 60% to endorsed. It’s going to a 2nd ballot, and then all the way until the 10th ballot unless a candidate clears 60% or the convention is adjourned.

According to Twitter the hall is only rented until 6:00. Likely only 1 more ballot.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2018, 05:04:27 PM »

Omar won on the second ballot. Really meaningless since all the candidates will still actively run in the primary.

FWIW I don't live in the district but if I did I would be voting for MAK since she skipped today's nonsense.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »

Omar won on the second ballot. Really meaningless since all the candidates will still actively run in the primary.

FWIW I don't live in the district but if I did I would be voting for MAK since she skipped today's nonsense.
One reason I will.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies