MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 08:01:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Author Topic: MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much  (Read 27671 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2018, 09:07:56 PM by Party Like It's 2006 »

She also voted against a bill banning female genital mutilation, there needs to be a concerted effort to defeat her.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-bill-against-female-mutilation-raises-opposition/423070383/

I hope literally anyone but her wins the primary then. If she wins the primary and the Republican running against her isn't fully insane, I may have to give them a donation.

Why? Waste of money. Whoever wins the DFL nomination wins here, the end.

Donate to Kelliher if you want it to help.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »

She also voted against a bill banning female genital mutilation, there needs to be a concerted effort to defeat her.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-bill-against-female-mutilation-raises-opposition/423070383/

Hopefully she gets demolished in the primary.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »

FGM is woke now, apparently.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »

When did it become acceptable for dog whistle anti semitism to be a political stance? if this was a jewish candidate tweeting about Palestine, posters here wouldn't be calling it a 'nothingburger'
...or white conservatives talking about ghetto welfare queens disguised with "careful" language.  That's what the Tweet is analogous to.

gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2018, 03:38:44 PM »

When did it become acceptable for dog whistle anti semitism to be a political stance? if this was a jewish candidate tweeting about Palestine, posters here wouldn't be calling it a 'nothingburger'
...or white conservatives talking about ghetto welfare queens disguised with "careful" language.  That's what the Tweet is analogous to.

yup those types of statements are just as bad and are unfortunately accepted by parts of the gop
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »

yup those types of statements are just as bad and are unfortunately accepted by parts of the gop

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »

How has the genital mutilation vote not gotten more buzz on social media? Omar is one of the worst Democratic candidates in many years and needs to be thoroughly defeated.

Because while the bill passed almost unanimously (it had three other votes against besides Omar) it wasn't without opposition, none of which was based on arguing that genital mutilation was a fine and acceptable cultural practice. From the article:

Also not that it matters but Mary Franson (main sponsor) is easily one of the most awful and reactionary members of the Minnesota legislature.

I would've voted for the bill and there is no chance of me voting for Omar in the primary.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »

BTW the quoted Hodan Hassan is running for State House this year as well...in my district. And I'm not voting for her either. And wasn't before I learned of this either, but due to very specific local politics based issues and some campaign actions.

I think her position is ridiculously naive though and this would make me reconsider supporting her if I was.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2018, 06:42:52 PM »

There’s a line of thinking among a very tiny minority of kook-left types that nobody in the West can under any circumstances criticize any “global south” cultural practice no matter how barbaric or inhuman it may appear at face value because something something white supremacy colonialism.

That being said, I doubt that’s what drove Ms. Omar’s vote. Of course she deserves a chance to explain herself, but even if it’s something as benignly naive as the comments in the quote BRYD shared suffice to say I would find that an insufficient answer
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »

OK now that I'm at home and able to read that article more in detail and look it up, this is in fact a nothingburger. Omar voted in favor of the bill: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/votes/votes.asp?ls_year=90&billnum=HF2621&session_number=0&year=2017&id=285

And the article does in fact state that, even if maybe slightly confusingly worded:

So this is either a confirmation bias confusion at best, an act of blatant dishonesty at worst.

I'm not supporting her in the primary, but this is not the the way to go about this.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »

Hmm yeah I guess I read that sentence too fast and thought she was part of the four who voted against it. My mistake.

But I still think she's a bad candidate and would prefer not to see her in Congress.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »

OK now that I'm at home and able to read that article more in detail and look it up, this is in fact a nothingburger. Omar voted in favor of the bill: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/votes/votes.asp?ls_year=90&billnum=HF2621&session_number=0&year=2017&id=285

And the article does in fact state that, even if maybe slightly confusingly worded:

So this is either a confirmation bias confusion at best, an act of blatant dishonesty at worst.

I'm not supporting her in the primary, but this is not the the way to go about this.

I’m glad you submitted this correction.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »

Hmm yeah I guess I read that sentence too fast and thought she was part of the four who voted against it. My mistake.

But I still think she's a bad candidate and would prefer not to see her in Congress.

She’s still a horrible anti-Semite.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2018, 12:47:21 AM »

Yes the article was poorly worded on that point.  In any case there's a legitimate debate about the best way to go about changing a strongly ingrained practice among a cultural minority, considering the drawbacks of a highly punitive approach if one is interested in successful integration.
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2018, 01:51:32 AM »

Is Omar the frontrunner in the primary?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »

It’s between her and Anderson Kelliher.  State Senator Bobby Champion dropped out and said he would endorse a candidate soon. Maybe he’ll endorse Omar, maybe he’ll endorse somebody else, but regardless it helps Omar by leaving her as the only black candidate.

State Senator Patricia Torres is the only other serious candidate in the race, but she seems to be playing third fiddle to Omar & Anderson Kelliher, but maybe she’ll gain steam.

Murphy’s supporters seem to be getting behind Omar almost unanimously though, and they’ll likely decide who receives the DFL’s endorsement at the last-minute party meeting this weekend.

If she wins, I guess Republicans will finally understand how Democrats feel about Steve King.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2018, 11:52:27 AM by Party Like It's 2006 »

The black vote going to Omar without Champion is not a certainty. "Normal" blacks/African-Americans by and large don't consider Somalis to be part of their community*. The majority of people arrested for anti-Somali hate crimes have been black.

For example there's only one precinct in Minneapolis that's majority Somali but in 2017 mayoral election the "black candidate" (Black Lives Matter activist and former president of the Twin Cities NAACP.) received about 4.6% of first preference votes there. She did better in most gentrified white areas. She won first preferences in the most heavily AA areas.

*And they're not honestly. There's virtually no Somalis in the most heavily black neighborhoods. The only area with a significant population of both Somalis and AAs is the area in south central Minneapolis that also has significant Hispanic, Asian and white populations.
sverkol

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2018, 03:35:01 PM »

Go Omar! GO! GO! GO! Love you from Israel!
The haters can hate but Omar will represent!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »

Internet troll praises vicious anti-Semite, more at 11:00.
sverkol

« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »

לך לעזאזל
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »

לך לעזאזל

Jews don't believe in Hell, so I'm afraid I won't be able to comply with your request.
sverkol

« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2018, 04:28:23 PM by sverkol »

לך לעזאזל

Jews don't believe in Hell, so I'm afraid I won't be able to comply with your request.
Azazel/עזאזל is actually a term from the Torah: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azazel
But you checked in Google Translate.
התרגומים של גוגל גרועים
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2018, 04:29:30 PM »

@ Sverkol: I assume you were responding to me just now, but unfortunately I'd already put you on ignore right after making my post (standard operating procedure with anti-Semites/trolls, although I do click show sometimes, so perhaps we'll meet again someday).  Alas, this is not one of those times and I have no reason to think that I'll find anything of substance if I click show.  Bye Smiley
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »

MoveOn and Democracy for America endorsed Ilhan Omar. Most of the non-Omar support seems to be coalescing around State Senator Patricia Torres Ray, rather than Margaret Anderson Kelliher, who doesn’t really seem to be running a visible campaign.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »

Omar seems pretty gross. Pretty bad that she'll be the actual candidate here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies