MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:11:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much  (Read 27456 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2018, 02:00:31 AM »

In a year of fantastic campaign ads, Ilhan may have the best.

"In a year of fantastic campaign ads, Duke may have the best."

This post...oof.

Sorry for being annoyed that so many Democrats (including the Governor of Minnesota) don't care about blatant and vicious antisemitism. It's not like apathy about anti-Semitism could ever be harmful to my people, right?

"Ilhan Omar tweeted about Palestine, she's LITERALLY THE NEXT HITLER"

She didn't tweet about Palestine, she tweeted about how "Israel hypnotized the world". This is the most obvious dogwhistle ever. I refer you to the earlier pages lf this thread to read the arguments people provided about the viciousness of this tweet.

The fact that she didn't apologize proves to me that she's an antisemite, and that makes her completely illegitimate. Sad that Governor Dayton and many progressives don't care about Jews.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2018, 02:01:12 AM »

This post...oof.

Sorry for being annoyed that so many Democrats (including the Governor of Minnesota) don't care about blatant and vicious antisemitism. It's not like apathy about anti-Semitism could ever be harmful to my people, right?

She didn't tweet about Palestine, she tweeted about how "Israel hypnotized the world". This is the most obvious dogwhistle ever. I refer you to the earlier pages lf this thread to read the arguments people provided about the viciousness of this tweet.

The fact that she didn't apologize proves to me that she's an antisemite, and that makes her completely illegitimate. Sad that Governor Dayton and many progressives don't care about Jews.

Sad that Netanyahu doesn't care about Muslims, either. Likud is trying to legalize segregation between Jews and Arabs.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2018, 02:03:33 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2018, 02:11:53 AM by Parrotguy »

This post...oof.

Sad that Netanyahu doesn't care about Muslims, either.

Woah that showed me. I strongly oppose Netanyahu but whatever Tongue

Hey dude, Netanyahu is creating an apartheid state at the expense of Palestinians in Israel. That's a fact.

Btw- no it's not lmao. But I'm not going to argue about it with far-leftists that read some article. I've got better things to do like cry about the exam I'm going to fail tomorrow.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2018, 02:05:50 AM »

This post...oof.

Antisemitism is very common among far-left parties all over the world.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2018, 02:06:50 AM »

This post...oof.

Antisemitism and anti-Zionism are not the same thing.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2018, 02:11:16 AM »

Yep. While usually I strongly dislike the "both sides philosophy", on this issue it's quite true- political extremists, both right and left, often search for boogeymen to blame for problems and enthuse the base. Jews, unfortunately, make great boogeymen.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2018, 07:47:53 AM »

Yep. While usually I strongly dislike the "both sides philosophy", on this issue it's quite true- political extremists, both right and left, often search for boogeymen to blame for problems and enthuse the base. Jews, unfortunately, make great boogeymen.

The difference is that far-lefties try to ennoble their anti-semitism by claiming that it's just a byproduct of Palestinian suffering at the hands of the state of Israel.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »

I think State Representative Omar is going to make a great Congresswoman Smiley
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »

I think what is being referred to by many as anti-semitism is actually anti-zionism, which are not one in the same. One is a hatred/discrimination against the Jewish people, while anti-zionism is the opposition to political and ethonational movement to create the Jewish state.

They are not the same.

There has been, what, 4 Democrats accused of being anti-Semites? Cockburn, Omar, Wallace, Tlaib. Thats who I can think of off the top of my head. And most of the evidence used against these has shown that they are Israeli critics and anti-Zionist, but not anti-Semites. Especially when Jewish Organisations have endorsed many of these candidates.

Many anti-Zionists happen to be Jewish, as they are at the forefront against the idea. Being an anti-Semite doesnt make you an anti-Zionist. The Charlottesville rally folk were clearly anti-Semite, and many of them cheered when Trump moved the capital to Jerusalem, which shows them being pro-Zionist. Both of these views can be held at the same time, as can the opposite, being not anti-Semite, and being anti-Zionist. And if many are wondering how people on the right can hold such an odd view, I shall explain.

The Right has always embraced individualism, hierarchy, and the self. The right tends to be more racist because of this, viewing others as "lesser" than themselves, and believing them to be lower in the hierarchy. But, many tend to be pro-zionist, because the movement in itself is ethonationalist, which puts the self, or race in this case, and elevates it.

The Left, however, believes in collectivism, equality, and the whole. The Left tends to be less racist because of this, viewing others as "equal" to themselves, and believing them to be a part of the group. But the Left also tends to be more anti-Zionist than the Right, as they believe in internationalism, and despise ethonationalism. It also doesnt help when the Palastinians are thrown into the mix.

Anyway, my point was too illustrate that the two are not the same, and shouldnt be treated as such.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »

When someone says that Israel hypnotized the world, they’re pretty clearly anti-Semitic.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2018, 11:10:16 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2018, 11:16:16 AM by Parrotguy »

I think what is being referred to by many as anti-semitism is actually anti-zionism, which are not one in the same. One is a hatred/discrimination against the Jewish people, while anti-zionism is the opposition to political and ethonational movement to create the Jewish state.

They are not the same.

There has been, what, 4 Democrats accused of being anti-Semites? Cockburn, Omar, Wallace, Tlaib. Thats who I can think of off the top of my head. And most of the evidence used against these has shown that they are Israeli critics and anti-Zionist, but not anti-Semites. Especially when Jewish Organisations have endorsed many of these candidates.

Siiigh. There's no need to tell me the differences, I'm well-aware. I'll put it simply for the last time, because at this point progressives seem as stubborn about ignoring Omar's words as conservatives are about Trump:

She said that Israel hypnotized the world, a crystal-clear dogwhistle using old stereotypes against the Jewish people. She said that she's praying to Allah for the people of Gaza to defeat which, considering the goals of Hamas, means genocide of the Jewish people. I couldn't overstate how antisemitic that tweet was, and the fact that she did not apologize for it means that she still endorses these views. She's antisemitic.

Tlaib is not antisemitic, and I've barely seen anyone accusing her of being one, because Jews aren't stupid. She might be anti-zionist (though I haven't seen any proof even for that), but she isn't antisemitic.

We know the differences. We can distinguish between an antisemitic candidate and one who isn't. Can you?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »

They are not the same.

Siiigh. There's no need to tell me the differences, I'm well-aware. I'll put it simply, because at this point progressives seem as stubborn about ignoring Omar's words as conservatives are about Trump:

She said that Israel hypnotized the world, a crystal-clear dogwhistle using old stereotypes against the Jewish people. She said that she's praying to Allah for the people of Gaza to defeat which, considering the goals of Hamas, means genocide of the Jewish people. I couldn't overstate how antisemitic that tweet was, and the fact that she did not apologize for it means that she still endorses these views. She's antisemitic.

Tlaib is not antisemitic, and I've barely seen anyone accusing her of being one, because Jews aren't stupid. She might be anti-zionist (though I haven't seen any proof even for that), but she isn't antisemitic.

We know the differences. We can distinguish between an antisemitic candidate and one who isn't. Can you?
I was not referring to Omar specifically, but to the 4 candidates in general who have been accused.

And, I will not defend anything that she said, as it was poorly written, and rather offensive. But, I must ask, isnt conflating her tweet supporting Gaza and thinking it means a support of the genocide of the Jewish People a bit of a leap in logic?

Also, found the tweet that started this debate, so we can refer to it directly.

I cant find the one about Gaza, so it would be helpful if you could find that tweet.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »

They are not the same.

Siiigh. There's no need to tell me the differences, I'm well-aware. I'll put it simply, because at this point progressives seem as stubborn about ignoring Omar's words as conservatives are about Trump:

I was not referring to Omar specifically, but to the 4 candidates in general who have been accused.

And, I will not defend anything that she said, as it was poorly written, and rather offensive. But, I must ask, isnt conflating her tweet supporting Gaza and thinking it means a support of the genocide of the Jewish People a bit of a leap in logic?

I cant find the one about Gaza, so it would be helpful if you could find that tweet.

Sorry, it wasn't directly about Gaza (though the hashtag was so I'm pretty sure she was referring to it), but praying to Allah that he will "awaken the people" makes me, personally, quite scared of what these "awakened people" will do to evil me. Calling your enemy evil, btw, is one of the steps towards genocide, so there's that too. I exaggerated with the genocide part because I remembered the tweet differently, but this tweet is still very much antisemitic, and I'd expect Democrats to recognize and condemn antisemitic dogwhistles (especially ones as clear as this one), just like they do with anti-black or anti-Muslim dogwhistles.

As for the other candidates- as I said, Tlaib isn't an antisemite, not close. From what I've read, she's good. And I'm not sure about Cockburn, though her book smelled very bad and had some dogwhistles. But in any case, your entire point was that we can't distinguish between anti-zionism and anti-semitism- my point was, that I clearly can considering all that. Democrats will now have to choose whether to support an unapologetic anti-semite or not.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2018, 11:44:50 AM by Solid4096 »

Ilhan Omar is an actual anti-semite.

It is a shame that so many people falsely throw anti-semite accusations against those who are not anti-semites such as people who participate in BDS because it is clear that doing such muddies its meaning to the extent that it is harder to connect it to actual anti-semites and get some people to take it seriously in the case of people like Ilhan Omar.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »

Neither Tlaib, nor Wallace are anti-semitic, not even close. But the other two candidates clearly are.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: August 12, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »

They are not the same.

Sorry, it wasn't directly about Gaza (though the hashtag was so I'm pretty sure she was referring to it), but praying to Allah that he will "awaken the people" makes me, personally, quite scared of what these "awakened people" will do to evil me. Calling your enemy evil, btw, is one of the steps towards genocide, so there's that too. I exaggerated with the genocide part because I remembered the tweet differently, but this tweet is still very much antisemitic, and I'd expect Democrats to recognize and condemn antisemitic dogwhistles (especially ones as clear as this one), just like they do with anti-black or anti-Muslim dogwhistles.

As for the other candidates- as I said, Tlaib isn't an antisemite, not close. From what I've read, she's good. And I'm not sure about Cockburn, though her book smelled very bad and had some dogwhistles. But in any case, your entire point was that we can't distinguish between anti-zionism and anti-semitism- my point was, that I clearly can considering all that. Democrats will now have to choose whether to support an unapologetic anti-semite or not.
well, first of all, shes not unapologetic. She has tweeted many times before and after about her support for the Jewish community, and is endorsed by many synagogues, and it doesnt seem that she has any other tweet that conflates an anti-Semite image.

Second of all, her entire tweet depends on what you see from her wording, because it can be interpreted many ways. "Awaken" can mean exactly what you said, but it can also be to "wake up" and see whats happening in Israel and be more knowledgeable about it and demand change, considering many Americans dont know about whats going on in the region. The problem with the tweet is really the language, as it is so vague and contains many odd phrases that it can reinterpreted any way.

The hypnosis line is rather poor, but, from the research I was able to do on Jewish stereotypes, hypnosis, or mesmerization is not one of them. I might be wrong, but thats what I found. If she had said "Israel has robbed the world...." or something similar, that would immediately be recognized as racism, but Im sitting here for 1/2 an hour looking for hypnosis and the Jewish People, and have found no connection. She could have easily meant "Everyone really likes Israel even if they do terrible things", but, again, her wording is so awful and the phrases so vague that its up to interpretation.

Again, I could be on the wrong track here, but thats just how I see it.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #241 on: August 12, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »

Neither Tlaib, nor Wallace are anti-semitic, not even close. But the other two candidates clearly are.

Omar is a clear anti-semite, while Tlaib and Wallace are clearly not. But I am unsure about Cockburn.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »

well, first of all, shes not unapologetic. She has tweeted many times before and after about her support for the Jewish community, and is endorsed by many synagogues, and it doesnt seem that she has any other tweet that conflates an anti-Semite image.

Second of all, her entire tweet depends on what you see from her wording, because it can be interpreted many ways. "Awaken" can mean exactly what you said, but it can also be to "wake up" and see whats happening in Israel and be more knowledgeable about it and demand change, considering many Americans dont know about whats going on in the region. The problem with the tweet is really the language, as it is so vague and contains many odd phrases that it can reinterpreted any way.

The hypnosis line is rather poor, but, from the research I was able to do on Jewish stereotypes, hypnosis, or mesmerization is not one of them. I might be wrong, but thats what I found. If she had said "Israel has robbed the world...." or something similar, that would immediately be recognized as racism, but Im sitting here for 1/2 an hour looking for hypnosis and the Jewish People, and have found no connection. She could have easily meant "Everyone really likes Israel even if they do terrible things", but, again, her wording is so awful and the phrases so vague that its up to interpretation.

Well, I guess one needs to be trained in the intricacies of Jewish stereotypes to recognize the dogwhistle here Tongue

Outright hypnosis is obviously not one of them. No one (other than maybe Alex Jones or something) believes Jews have the magical ability to hypnotize people, and it's definitely not what Omar meant (if it is, then she has other problems, lol). But what IS a Jewish stereotype, is that the Jews are evil deceivers who manage to lie their way to convince people to do things for them. This is what she implied about Israel, and this is the antisemitic core in her tweet.

As for the rest- I guess EVERYTHING is about wording. But when someone uses vicious and agressive language, interwined with antisemitic dogwhistles, and doesn't apologize for it, then I'm not going to give her the benefit of the doubt. Also:

Omar is a clear anti-semite, while Tlaib and Wallace are clearly not. But I am unsure about Cockburn.

Colour me pleasantly surprised.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »

I think State Representative Omar is going to make a great Congresswoman Smiley
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »

Well, I guess one needs to be trained in the intricacies of Jewish stereotypes to recognize the dogwhistle here Tongue

Outright hypnosis is obviously not one of them. No one (other than maybe Alex Jones or something) believes Jews have the magical ability to hypnotize people, and it's definitely not what Omar meant (if it is, then she has other problems, lol). But what IS a Jewish stereotype, is that the Jews are evil deceivers who manage to lie their way to convince people to do things for them. This is what she implied about Israel, and this is the antisemitic core in her tweet.

As for the rest- I guess EVERYTHING is about wording. But when someone uses vicious and agressive language, interwined with antisemitic dogwhistles, and doesn't apologize for it, then I'm not going to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Thats fair, didnt think about that.

I still would rather not judge a person based on one tweet that uses vague language. Nothing else about her says her being an anti-semite, except for her tweet, which was, again, poorly written and had vague language.

And as for her non-apoligy, she make it rather clear that she isnt apologizing because she doesnt see it as attacking Jews:

Again, I could be completely wrong, and could be defending a rapid anti-Semite, but I just dont see that much proof in favor of it, unlike Trump's hatred of Mexicans, which is rather clear and obvious, and MN's Lewis, which refers to AAs directly and uses the hateful stereotype of being "stuck on entitlements".
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »

I still would rather not judge a person based on one tweet that uses vague language. Nothing else about her says her being an anti-semite, except for her tweet, which was, again, poorly written and had vague language.

And as for her non-apoligy, she make it rather clear that she isnt apologizing because she doesnt see it as attacking Jews:

Again, I could be completely wrong, and could be defending a rapid anti-Semite, but I just dont see that much proof in favor of it, unlike Trump's hatred of Mexicans, which is rather clear and obvious, and MN's Lewis, which refers to AAs directly and uses the hateful stereotype of being "stuck on entitlements".

That tweet just makes it worse, considering Israel isn't an appartheid state by every definition, and trying to legitimize the Jewish state with lies is just another indicator of antisemitism. So she doens't just ignore her antisemitic tweet, she reinforces it by attacking those who call her to apologize. And if nothing else, this pathetic tweet just reflects badly on her character. It looks like one of Trump's tweets in response to critics.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »

What I don't like about the tweet is that it references a false God in a false religion. That's why I'm not voting for her in the primary.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »

That tweet just makes it worse, considering Israel isn't an appartheid state by every definition, and trying to legitimize the Jewish state with lies is just another indicator of antisemitism. So she doens't just ignore her antisemitic tweet, she reinforces it by attacking those who call her to apologize.
the Apartheid state is actually an anti-Zionist term, not an anti-Semite term. And thats the key I was trying to establish. From her other tweets and her history of being a legislator, it seems that she is a rabbid anti-Zionist, not an anti-Semite, which can be easily conflated.

Many Jewish leaders have called the state of Israel the same thing, and even the UN agrees with this assessment. So this is not antisemitism, its anti-Zionism.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/16/is-israel-an-apartheid-state-this-u-n-report-says-yes/?utm_term=.89c52a7a897c

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »

What I don't like about the tweet is that it references a false God in a false religion. That's why I'm not voting for her in the primary.
Yeah, I dont like religion in politics either.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »

Yeah, I dont like religion in politics either.

He's not talking about religion in politics. He's saying that because she is of a different religion, he won't support her.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies