17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 27564 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2018, 10:17:57 PM by Wolverine22 »

CNN refuses to show his face or say his name for some reason. Probably because he’s white and not a Jihaddist so he’s mentally ill and not a terrorist.

Or perhaps because giving these creeps publicity encourages more events?

I highly doubt that. If that were the case then these incidents would have stopped a long time ago. Evil needs to have a name and face. They can’t hide his name and picture forever in this case considering that he’s going to be tried (and probably executed) for this crime.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »

If he didn't have any prior convictions or mental health flags, probably would've passed a universal background check if AWB in effect would've used a handgun or another gun. Really skeptical any law would've stopped this these people will find any means to kill.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »

Just because I stand against blue dogs on like one issue out of many does not make me other. Contrary to what people might think, very few people besides hacks are 100% one thing, then again, this is Atlas...
i thought we were teasing you because supporting the repeal of the 2nd amendment is def not a blue dog position or attribute... but im sure you are a blue dog; I mean look at your signature and endorsements
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:01 PM »

A Trumptard....looks like the bloods on Trump but it's honesty on the GOP for not passing gun control after Sandy Hook.

Will you do me a personal favor and shut up

I appreciate the sentiment but any policy has potential downsides, so if we try something we should have some sense that it might actually work.

The problem is that no dialogue is happening whatsoever to even figure out where to go next. Half of us are tweeting "thoughts and prayers" and the other half are tweeting "something should be done". That's not a solution, but it's where the discourse goes to die. There will not be any concrete solution or even so much as a discussion to come out of this.
Tells a guy to shut up out one side of his mouth and bemoans the lack of dialogue out the other...
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »

People harping about an AWB, remember there was one in effect from 1994-2004 and there were 15 mass shooting during that period about the same as before and after the ban.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:04 PM »

If he didn't have any prior convictions or mental health flags, probably would've passed a universal background check if AWB in effect would've used a handgun or another gun. Really skeptical any law would've stopped this these people will find any means to kill.

Bingo
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »

Only in America can you buy an AR-15 at 18 but can't buy a handgun until your 21. Can't make this stuff up anymore.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »

This country is sick, and it disgusts me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:52 PM »

CNN refuses to show his face or say his name for some reason. Probably because he’s white and not a Jihaddist so he’s mentally ill and not a terrorist.

I highly doubt that. If that were the case then these incidents would have stopped a long time ago. Evil needs to have a name and face. They can’t hide his name and picture forever in this case considering that he’s going to be tried (and probably executed) for this crime.

Who said it could be kept hidden? Just because the name is knowable doesn't mean the infotainment channels should make an effort to spread it. That said, if the only restraint they show is not mentioning the name, it won't do much good. Except in the local area, I'm firmly of the opinion that this story warrants at most a one-minute synopsis per news cycle.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:41 PM »

Who said it could be kept hidden? Just because the name is knowable doesn't mean the infotainment channels should make an effort to spread it. That said, if the only restraint they show is not mentioning the name, it won't do much good. Except in the local area, I'm firmly of the opinion that this story warrants at most a one-minute synopsis per news cycle.

It’s the same reason that they should have released the Basements Tapes after Columbine. The public has a right to know and researchers like myself should have it available. The contagion theory is BS and especially in a case like this where the shooter is now in custody, he should be named and shamed.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »

Sad.  It's hard to comprehend that society is getting crazier by the day.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »

Mmmhmm

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/963979095951409154
Joey1996

« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »

Only in America can you buy an AR-15 at 18 but can't buy a handgun until your 21. Can't make this stuff up anymore.

I mean I could understand the logic. AR-15's might look like scary military weapons, but in reality they serve the same functionality as a mini-14 or any other popular semi-automatic hunting rifle. Whereas handguns are concealable and are actually used far more often in gun violence incidents. I also don't think the age limit is the problem in this case, as I think the age of majority should be consistent (however certain places don't check for agw at all and 13 year olds wind up getting guns).

During most of these incidents we later find out there was some loophole or flaw in the background check that allowed a person who shouldn't have had a gun to get one and commit a massacre. Just like employment background checks cover social media, I think background checks for guns should as well. Most of these murderers openly post their sick fantasies publicly online.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2018, 11:15:38 PM »

There's not going to be any meaningful gun control. Republicans won't do it and despite the bluster Democrats won't either when they get back power in fear of political backlash. This debate doesn't even get me riled up or emotional anymore. Just stay safe as best as you can.
Joey1996

« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »

There's not going to be any meaningful gun control. Republicans won't do it and despite the bluster Democrats won't either when they get back power in fear of political backlash. This debate doesn't even get me riled up or emotional anymore. Just stay safe as best as you can.

I don't understand how universal background checks can't get passed when over 80% of gun owners support it
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2018, 11:41:08 PM »

CNN refuses to show his face or say his name for some reason.

Good

These sh**tstains need to not be glorified
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:48 PM »

I mean I could understand the logic. AR-15's might look like scary military weapons, but in reality they serve the same functionality as a mini-14 or any other popular semi-automatic hunting rifle. Whereas handguns are concealable and are actually used far more often in gun violence incidents. I also don't think the age limit is the problem in this case, as I think the age of majority should be consistent (however certain places don't check for agw at all and 13 year olds wind up getting guns).

During most of these incidents we later find out there was some loophole or flaw in the background check that allowed a person who shouldn't have had a gun to get one and commit a massacre. Just like employment background checks cover social media, I think background checks for guns should as well. Most of these murderers openly post their sick fantasies publicly online.

^^^^^

Good points in this post
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2018, 12:03:06 AM »

I think there will be. Most of these gun control reforms are overwhelmingly supported by the public. The worst shootings happen in states with Republican governors (i.e. Scott, Sandoval, Abbott, Haley, Haslam).

Honestly, this feels like it's going to be another "flash in the pan" shooting like the Texas shooting, rather than something ubiquitous like the Vegas massacre. While some shootings (i.e. Newtown) can be shocking, others are just sad.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2018, 12:05:30 AM »

Come on, don't go that far. This is by far the best country in the world, and some nuts and complacents are not going to ruin it for me, don't let it ruin it for you either.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2018, 12:08:39 AM »

I think there will be. Most of these gun control reforms are overwhelmingly supported by the public. The worst shootings happen in states with Republican governors (i.e. Scott, Sandoval, Abbott, Haley, Haslam).

Honestly, this feels like it's going to be another "flash in the pan" shooting like the Texas shooting, rather than something ubiquitous like the Vegas massacre. While some shootings (i.e. Newtown) can be shocking, others are just sad.

I've really lost most of my faith in this country. What can you expect of a people who shrug when dozens of children are murdered? Who shrug when whether polluting our environment and our own drinking water is a political position? Who shrug when not having some basic respect for the opposition (and the electorate that composes it) is seen as positive? Who shrug when people dying or bankrupting from lack of decent healthcare is seen as an attack on our structures?

This country has gotten to the point where all I can do is feel sad and helpless, knowing that nothing significant will ever be done.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »

Come on, don't go that far. This is by far the best country in the world, and some nuts and complacents are not going to ruin it for me, don't let it ruin it for you either.

Tell me how this country is "the best country in the world." Give me some examples where this country is objectively better and is worth not having the things I mentioned in the post above.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2018, 12:13:25 AM »

Tell me how this country is "the best country in the world." Give me some examples where this country is objectively better and is worth not having the things I mentioned in the post above.

Cause America's home, it has given opportunity and love to my family, friends, and I, and I love it back.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:49 AM »

Cause America's home, it has given opportunity and love to my family, friends, and I, and I love it back.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2018, 12:21:29 AM »

Guns aren't the problem; America's rampant poverty and lack of adequate mental health care (particularly in this situation) are the problems. Countries such as Switzerland have similarly lax gun laws, yet significantly lower gun related crime rates.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2018, 12:29:11 AM »

Bingo

It's almost as though we need  more gun control that just a background check! You guys are finally catching on!

I'm really skeptical anything else he could have found and readily used, even a car, would have let him murder so many people. Certainly not in this fashion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies