17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:01:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 27536 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »

We should repeal the 2nd Amendment, seize everyone's guns and do what Australia did. Ordinary people do not need guns.

If they refuse to give up their guns and pose a threat to the army/police they should be labeled as traitors to America and charged with treason, and if they fire their weapons, then all means necessary should be used to stop them.

I cannot begin to tell you how offensive these ideas are.

The millions of lawful, law-abiding gun owners, of which I am one, are not the problem here.  Never have been.  Never will be.  

Denial is a magnificent river, but it is not a magnificent state of mind, Fuzzle.  Your defense of your 2nd amendment rights has led to a proliferation of guns unseen in human history and is resulting in horrific crimes that are occurring at increasing rates with no end in sight.  

Indirect responsibility might not be criminal, but it certainly enables them.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »

Unpopular Opinion: To stop more tragedies like this, the government must increase domestic surveillance.
I support all gun control--the more extreme, the better. However, to ensure compliance, people must sacrifice some of their nonexistent right to privacy the left seems to venerate so much.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2018, 08:40:48 PM »

CNN refuses to show his face or say his name for some reason. Probably because he’s white and not a Jihaddist so he’s mentally ill and not a terrorist.

Or perhaps because giving these creeps publicity encourages more events?

I highly doubt that. If that were the case then these incidents would have stopped a long time ago. Evil needs to have a name and face. They can’t hide his name and picture forever in this case considering that he’s going to be tried (and probably executed) for this crime.

Who said it could be kept hidden? Just because the name is knowable doesn't mean the infotainment channels should make an effort to spread it. That said, if the only restraint they show is not mentioning the name, it won't do much good. Except in the local area, I'm firmly of the opinion that this story warrants at most a one-minute synopsis per news cycle.

It’s the same reason that they should have released the Basements Tapes after Columbine. The public has a right to know and researchers like myself should have it available. The contagion theory is BS and especially in a case like this where the shooter is now in custody, he should be named and shamed.

There's a difference between making such stuff available to researchers and trivializing the crap out of it on cable news so as to be able to charge more for denture paste commercials.  I also seriously doubt he can feel shame, at least right now.  Even if he can feel shame, being trivialized on cable news ain't goona cause him to feel it.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »

We should repeal the 2nd Amendment, seize everyone's guns and do what Australia did. Ordinary people do not need guns.

If they refuse to give up their guns and pose a threat to the army/police they should be labeled as traitors to America and charged with treason, and if they fire their weapons, then all means necessary should be used to stop them.

The millions of lawful, law-abiding gun owners, of which I am one, are not the problem here.  Never have been.  Never will be. 

Oh that's offensive to you? Boo hoo, go cry me a river. Yes, the fact you own a gun is a problem. If you want a gun, you should have been in the army or police. You, a civilian do not need a weapon and it should be taken from you. Most civilized nations do not let their civilian populous own weapons.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »

The millions of lawful, law-abiding gun owners, of which I am one, are not the problem here.  Never have been.  Never will be.  

Denial is a magnificent river, but it is not a magnificent state of mind, Fuzzle.  Your defense of your 2nd amendment rights has led to a proliferation of guns unseen in human history and is resulting in horrific crimes that are occurring at increasing rates with no end in sight.  

Here's a little tip:  Florida's schools are "gun-free zones".  Even the police that serve as "resource officers" at schools do not have firearms.  And, yes, the shooter knew that.  Indeed, every mass shooter in America felt confident that they would be firing into an unarmed populace.

I say give the resource officer their guns back.  Train teachers that wish to learn tactical shooting and allow them to carry open, and serve as limited law enforcement officers.  These attacks are planned, and the perpetrators plan on unarmed victims.  

The responsibility here does not fall on lawful gun owners.  Not in the least.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2018, 08:55:14 PM »

What exactly is your point? That the guy in that video should have been riddled with bullets?

It certainly seems to be.  I imagine he thinks bullets are the only things "those people" understand.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2018, 08:59:52 PM »

Here's a little tip:  Florida's schools are "gun-free zones".  Even the police that serve as "resource officers" at schools do not have firearms.  And, yes, the shooter knew that.  Indeed, every mass shooter in America felt confident that they would be firing into an unarmed populace.

I say give the resource officer their guns back.  Train teachers that wish to learn tactical shooting and allow them to carry open, and serve as limited law enforcement officers.  These attacks are planned, and the perpetrators plan on unarmed victims.  

The responsibility here does not fall on lawful gun owners.  Not in the least.
Yeah there's no possible negative repercussions to allowing multiple guns into a school.  What happens when Mrs. Johnson the art teacher kills a kid cuz she thought he was "coming for my gun"?  How about when the kid does actually go for her gun and gets ahold of it?  Because maybe he's pissed off and hormonal cuz his gf broke up with him and then he got in trouble for a fight and now there are multiple guns in easy range?

Your idea takes a new kind of stupid and is evidence you lack the ability to think things through fully and completely... including the risk of having lots of guns in schools... and this should probably disqualify you from owning them, period.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »

What exactly is your point? That the guy in that video should have been riddled with bullets?

It certainly seems to be.  I imagine he thinks bullets are the only things "those people" understand.
He’d sure understand a slug to the leg.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2018, 09:12:26 PM »

The millions of lawful, law-abiding gun owners, of which I am one, are not the problem here.  Never have been.  Never will be. 

Oh that's offensive to you? Boo hoo, go cry me a river. Yes, the fact you own a gun is a problem. If you want a gun, you should have been in the army or police. You, a civilian do not need a weapon and it should be taken from you. Most civilized nations do not let their civilian populous own weapons.

And why should it be taken from me?  I have not committed a crime, and I wish to have it to defend my family in the event of a home invasion or carjacking.  There are folks who are unarmed who are injured and killed in home invasions.  If they didn't need a firearm, what, exactly, did they need?

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2018, 09:22:47 PM by Senator-elect #TheShadowyAbyss »

And why should it be taken from me?  I have not committed a crime, and I wish to have it to defend my family in the event of a home invasion or carjacking.  There are folks who are unarmed who are injured and killed in home invasions.  If they didn't need a firearm, what, exactly, did they need?

strawman, no one needs a firearm, why must we have so many shootings? Your side of the aisle even thought it was ok for people on the TERRORIST WATCH LIST to own weapons and voted against their ban. Why should we as a nation allow the senseless murders to continue, almost every day we have a shooting of some kind, Canada/U.K/rest of Europe/Australia do not have this issue. I should not have to fear that my little sister will get shot up in school because you are afraid of someone breaking into your home. Your fears do not justify the needs for there to be over 300+ million guns in this country.

I do not care if you have not committed a crime, you as a civilian do not deserve a gun and had I been in charge would have the police come seize it from you like what that did in Australia.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:20 PM »

You know, this applies in many scenarios, but in this scenario especially: there were very clear signs that this guy had issues. He posted on social media his desire to harm people. He was expelled from the school for disciplinary issues. Those who knew him spoke of him as a loner, and a weird kid. Focusing on guns takes away from the real issue that we had something very preventable if others had actually stepped in to help this guy, be it teachers, parents/guardians, friends, etc. We should be focusing on who is failing these people, and how. The gun clearly isn't the problem.

This really is the problem.

What no one has is a solution.

I do not have a solution to the level of alienation that propels folks to the place where this sort of acting out becomes the only viable solution to whatever these folks define as "the problem".
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »

Rubio is an known a*****e. Proud of Senator Nelson, and look forward to his common sense and bravery whipping Scott or any other Republican this November.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »

Rubio is an known a*****e. Proud of Senator Nelson, and look forward to his common sense and bravery whipping Scott or any other Republican this November.

I support Nelson for re-election.

I voted for Rubio at the last minute in 2016, even though I don't really like him.  His Democratic opponent (Patrick Murphy) really disappointed, and Rubio isn't quite the moron he was initially.  But I still don't like him, and I don't think I ever will. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2018, 09:39:11 PM »

This whole mess is tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the people of INSERT LOCALITY HERE South Florida. We are all behind you, people of INSERT LOCALITY HERE South Florida.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »

This whole mess is tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the people of INSERT LOCALITY HERE South Florida. We are all behind you, people of INSERT LOCALITY HERE South Florida.

Thoughts and prayers are important.  Yes, I know the self-serving proclamations of how "Our thoughts and prayers are . . ." from politicians.  But I have no doubt that it was the prayers of millions that caused politicians that had not ordinarily been inclined to support Civil Rights in the 1960s to prevail on LBJ and a number of Republican and conservative Members of Congress to cause the Civil Rights bills to pass into law.

Prayers are needed for a collective change of heart and an end to the extreme alienation that is a factor in all mass violence.  Truthfully, without prayer, I don't see how that will happen.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »

Incredibly proud of every surviving student who has taken the oppurtunity to tell Republicans that they are rancid monsters on live TV and social media.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2018, 10:24:50 PM »

Incredibly proud of every surviving student who has taken the oppurtunity to tell Republicans that they are rancid monsters on live TV and social media.

The GOP are rancid monsters and it makes me proud the youth are standing up to them.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2018, 10:30:26 PM »

The GOP are rancid monsters and it makes me proud the youth are standing up to them.

Get off your moral high horse.  You used to be a Republican.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »

The NRA is a terrorist organization and we should lock up their leaders and throw away the key. They’re indirectly responsible for the violent gun deaths of tens of thousands, if not more. They’re nothing but a plague on the country, and they’re part of the reason there’s never any action after incidents like this. Repeal the 2nd amendment, shut down the NRA, and make gun ownership illegal. We need drastic measures.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2018, 10:44:51 PM »

Yeah a brainwashed one, and am glad I left that filth.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »

I believe that abortion is murder but I don't think you're a monster even though you are on the side that opposes human rights.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:17 PM »

That sort of hateful thinking is filth.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »

I believe that abortion is murder but I don't think you're a monster even though you are on the side that opposes human rights.
This is a thread about a mass murder with an assault rifle, if you want to argue about abortion make a thread, keep it on topic.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2018, 11:04:34 PM by Senator-elect #TheShadowyAbyss »

Kids should not have to worry about going to school and getting shot up what kind of a Civilized Nation would allow this to happen? There are 17 sets of parents that don't have their child anymore because the right is unwilling to challenge the NRA and work with Democrats to fix the broken gun laws and make it so that people like Nikolas Cruz do not get a gun and especially an AK.

How many more mass shootings do we have to have in this country before the right finally wakes up and stands up to the NRA which I consider to be a terrorist organization most countries in the world only have 12 shootings in a year combined, we surpassed that in the first two months of the year how many more of our children and innocent people have to die because of a crazy person with a gun Sandy Hook, pulse Nightclub, Las Vegas, the church shooting in Texas, how many more of these are we going to have in this country?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »

I have completely lost hope that anything will happen on this issue, even though the majority of Americans want some sort of change. For heaven's sake, even the bump-stock ban that Republicans and the NRA seemed to support after Las Vegas went absolutely nowhere. What else can we do? I feel powerless and hopeless.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies