The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:27:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 230573 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: February 23, 2016, 08:25:04 AM »

I am giving it a Freedom Restaurant because of the breadsticks and all you can eat soup and salad. Olive Garden serves a certain purpose in America: providing affordable Italian food to the masses. It is far from the best Italian food you could get; there are a number of places I would rather go including to my fiancee's, but that doesn't make OG a bad restaurant. You wouldn't say McDonalds is a horrible restaurant because it is far from the best burger you ever have; it serves its purpose. So keep dishing out those breadsticks and soup OG!

I can't find the Good Post Gallery, so it goes here.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #576 on: February 23, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »

Coattails are mostly a myth. Vermont elected a Republican governor in 2008 and WV elected a Democratic governor in 2012.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »

I don't think you need to bring Bernie Sanders into the discussion to doubt that someone whose favorable rating is between 5 and 10 points lower than the incumbent president is likely to be a weak general election nominee.

Clinton would perhaps be worse than a generic D. Its kind of shocking that she's having to fend off Bernie Sanders in the first place.

I think that shows Sanders's strength more than Clinton's weakness. He appeals to a certain percentage of the Democratic primary electorate who would never have Clinton as their first choice no matter how good of a politician she is.

Clinton's favorable rating among Sanders supporters is consistently above 80%. Moreover, if you compare polling averages since the beginning of the campaign, it's likely that a substantial share of voters who currently support Sanders - possibly an outright majority - had Clinton as their first choice at some point. There's no indication that there's widespread dislike of Clinton among any substantial group that votes in Democratic primaries.

What I meant was that those people wouln't have supported her over Sanders even if she was some brilliantly amazing campaigner. They would have supported her if it was just her, O'Malley, Webb, and Chafee, though (although O'Malley would get some support).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #578 on: February 23, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2016, 07:10:27 PM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

Clinton would perhaps be worse than a generic D. Its kind of shocking that she's having to fend off Bernie Sanders in the first place.

Given that she's had to fend off...well everyone since 1992, maybe she's seen as a legitimate threat so some hegemonic part of America.

Or maybe she's just a poor politician?

But no, of course it can't be so simple... Makes more sense to believe that everybody has an irrational hatred of her for some reason.

That "some reason" is of course rampant and systemic sexism, but I wouldn't expect the guy that wants the state to tell women who they are and are not allowed to have sex with to know anything about that. Roll Eyes

Are you seriously implying that any position short of complete legalization of prostitution is inherently sexist? Because I know Antonio isn't in favor of continued criminalization.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #579 on: February 24, 2016, 05:24:39 PM »

Please stop reacting to Trump with overt snobbery.

Yes, he's awful. Yes, it's frightening. Yes, it's tempting to point and laugh--and we should! But not at Trump supporters' socioeconomic status or their levels of education or their houses or their accents.

Stop calling them 'white trash'. Stop insulting their intelligence on the basis of their class. I don't remember if it was on this forum or not, but at one point I saw somebody use the word 'Trumptard'. Definitely don't say things like that.

Not only does it play into his narrative, it's also morally wrong to be prejudiced against people on these grounds.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #580 on: February 25, 2016, 01:02:00 AM »

I'd like to point out that all I was ever asking of anyone with this thread was to find ways to criticize and attack Trump supporters that aren't centered around the tropes and rhetoric of overt class-based contempt (whether the assumptions about demographics behind that contempt are accurate of most Trump supporters or not). Considering how awful Trump and his campaign are, I would think this wouldn't be difficult.

Of course, it is not difficult. These people should be insulted in person, as individuals, and not as members of any group. They should understand, that being a Trump supporter may mean that others will tell in public, in front of their parents and kids, that they think they - personal they - are abominable immoral beasts, undeserving of the name of a human being. That people they considered friends would break any sort of relationship with them: having recognised what sort of inhuman junk they are.

But, yes, they should be insulted in person, for their own sins: not for any group identity, and not even for whatever Donald Trump is saying - they are infinitely worse than Donald Trump himself
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #581 on: February 27, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »

The guy came into fame because he called BS on all the pundits who were doing their little pundit BS and got straight to the numbers. Now he's become what he hates - a know nothing pundit.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #582 on: February 27, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »

TNvolunteer, how about you actually give us some proof as to why you think that New Hampshire is a Democratic state?
It doesn't vote for Republicans anymore. Next question?
That's...that's stupid.

Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Iowa, New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada haven't voted Republican in eight years. Are they solid Democratic states too?

Pennsylvania and Michigan haven't voted Republican since 1988. Wisconsin hasn't since 1984. Minnesota hasn't voted Republican since 1972. Are they all solidly Democratic?

New Hampshire last voted Republican in 2000, and very narrowly voted Democratic in 2004, when the Democratic nominee was a New Englander. Sure, it hasn't voted Republican in the last three presidential elections, but two of those were Democratic victories.

Nobody is saying that New Hampshire is a Republican state (like it was in the 1980s), but it sure as heck isn't a Democratic one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #583 on: February 27, 2016, 09:50:11 PM »

Continue underestimating TRUMP. That's all people have been doing this whole damn election campaign, and they've been proven wrong again and again. She is the worst opposition to him. A slightly more competent jeb. Political lifer from a political family who is somehow more hawkish and pro-special interest than the Republican nominee.

Do not underestimate him because he can win.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #584 on: February 28, 2016, 01:12:31 AM »

TNvolunteer, how about you actually give us some proof as to why you think that New Hampshire is a Democratic state?
It doesn't vote for Republicans anymore. Next question?
That's...that's stupid.

Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Iowa, New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada haven't voted Republican in eight years. Are they solid Democratic states too?

Pennsylvania and Michigan haven't voted Republican since 1988. Wisconsin hasn't since 1984. Minnesota hasn't voted Republican since 1972. Are they all solidly Democratic?

New Hampshire last voted Republican in 2000, and very narrowly voted Democratic in 2004, when the Democratic nominee was a New Englander. Sure, it hasn't voted Republican in the last three presidential elections, but two of those were Democratic victories.

Nobody is saying that New Hampshire is a Republican state (like it was in the 1980s), but it sure as heck isn't a Democratic one.

You put this in the wrong thread.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #585 on: February 28, 2016, 07:52:50 PM »

"Mainstream Republicans" are supporting Trump. The opposition is made up of fringe evangelicals, libertarian basement dwellers, and Beltway hacks who don't want to lose their cushy think tank gigs.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #586 on: February 29, 2016, 06:41:43 AM »

Yes.  The lumping together of the two movements has helped encourage unfortunate stereotypes about gays and lesbians.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #587 on: February 29, 2016, 06:43:47 AM »

All lands are exceptional are they not. Nowhere is alike.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #588 on: February 29, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »

Yes.  The lumping together of the two movements has helped encourage unfortunate stereotypes about gays and lesbians.

Oh for f**k's sake dude. Please tell me you meant to post it in the deluge...
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #589 on: February 29, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »

Don't hate on my fans.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #590 on: February 29, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »

Don't hate on my fans.

Yeah, gays and lesbians weren't treated poorly or even murdered until those pesky trans people came around, totally Roll Eyes
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #591 on: February 29, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »

Yes.  The lumping together of the two movements has helped encourage unfortunate stereotypes about gays and lesbians.

Don't hate on my fans.

Yeah, gays and lesbians weren't treated poorly or even murdered until those pesky trans people came around, totally Roll Eyes

Right because I totally said that. Nice strawman!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #592 on: February 29, 2016, 09:05:42 PM »

Supporting a candidate because she's a woman is just as bad as supporting a candidate because he's a man.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #593 on: March 01, 2016, 04:47:41 PM »

There are few things in this world that I love more than white people denying their whiteness.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #594 on: March 01, 2016, 09:01:56 PM »

Yes.  The lumping together of the two movements has helped encourage unfortunate stereotypes about gays and lesbians.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but good or bad, what Green Line posted is definitely true.  Most straight people feel far more animosity towards transgender people than LGBs (if they even feel any real animosity toward LGBs at all).  This is a pretty undeniable fact, no sense pretending it isn't true.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #595 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but good or bad, what Green Line posted is definitely true.  Most straight people feel far more animosity towards transgender people than LGBs (if they even feel any real animosity toward LGBs at all).  This is a pretty undeniable fact, no sense pretending it isn't true.

So persecution of trans people is a good argument for telling them to fck off? This sounds a bit like when Gandhi fought for South African Indians to be considered better than the black people.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #596 on: March 02, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

So persecution of trans people is a good argument for telling them to fck off? This sounds a bit like when Gandhi fought for South African Indians to be considered better than the black people.

Translation: "I don't like what X posted, but I know it's true and don't really have any argument I can make to justify pretending that it isn't.  Hmm...I know!  I can ignore what he posted and respond to some random straw-man that I just pulled out of my a** instead."
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #597 on: March 03, 2016, 01:39:49 AM »

It's going to be so refreshing to have a red blooded alpha male back in the White House after eight years of a beta cuck administration.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #598 on: March 03, 2016, 01:48:06 AM »

It's going to be so refreshing to have a red blooded alpha male back in the White House after eight years of a beta cuck administration.

obama is entirely more of an alpha than literally anyone on this forum
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #599 on: March 03, 2016, 06:37:02 AM »

obama is entirely more of an alpha than literally anyone on this forum
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies