Do you know someone who won't vote for Hillary because she's a women?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:46:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you know someone who won't vote for Hillary because she's a women?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: you know the drill
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Do you know someone who won't vote for Hillary because she's a women?  (Read 1404 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:17:41 PM »

I know many, even people that don't follow politics well that I know say they will vote for anybody but Hillary. It's starting to scare me a bit.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »

People who won't vote for Hillary? Yes. People who won't vote for Hillary because she's a woman? No.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:13:07 AM »

People who won't vote for Hillary? Yes. People who won't vote for Hillary because she's a woman? No.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 03:40:55 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:52:48 AM »

No, although I'm sure such people do exist.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »

No, at least not openly.

But I do know a bunch of people who are supporting her just because she's a woman, and they are very open about it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »

No, although I'm sure such people do exist.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »

Yes. They're both women by the way.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »

No, at least not openly.

But I do know a bunch of people who are supporting her just because she's a woman, and they are very open about it.

Which is as stupid as opposing her because of gender.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »

Yes

Believe me or not, I know someone who doesn't like Hillary just because she's a women. He supports Sanders and Trump. He believes that women are by nature not tough or aggressive enough to be POTUS. He also thinks that Hillary is a FemiNazi. I went to high school with this guy, but I barely talked to him. I recently asked him who he supports this election through text.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 04:29:28 PM »

No, at least not openly.

This
RR1997
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »

I do know a lot of people who support Hillary just because she's a women, but I only know one person who doesn't support Hillary because she's a women. Of course there are people who hide stuff like this.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »

Probably a lot of people have no intention of voting for her for exactly that reason, though who is going to be crass (or honest) enough to admit it out in the open?    
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »

No, at least not openly.

Eh, it's slightly less ridiculous to support a candidate because you believe her election will lead to greater equality for women than it is to oppose a candidate because 'A WOMAN'S PLACE IS IN THE HOME YOU GUYS!' At least the goal is admirable, even if the rationale is seriously flawed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »

No, at least not openly.

Eh, it's slightly less ridiculous to support a candidate because you believe her election will lead to greater equality for women than it is to oppose a candidate because 'A WOMAN'S PLACE IS IN THE HOME YOU GUYS!' At least the goal is admirable, even if the rationale is seriously flawed.

Yeah, if there were two candidates who were more or less identical in every respect except gender, I'd definitely vote for the woman because of the symbolic value and the potential to change public attitudes on gender. But it shouldn't be a decisive criterion when candidates have significant differences.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »

Probably a lot of people have no intention of voting for her for exactly that reason, though who is going to be crass (or honest) enough to admit it out in the open?   
Do you really believe this?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »

No, but I'm a little nervous at having a female president simply because it's so unprecedented.  I have no doubt there are plenty of women who are capable of the job.

That being said, I am somewhat motivated to help defeat Hillary because I want the first female president to be a Republican, not a Democrat.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »

No, at least not openly.

I beg to differ. Supporting a candidate because she's a woman is just as bad as supporting a candidate because he's a man.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »

No, at least not openly.

I beg to differ. Supporting a candidate because she's a woman is just as bad as supporting a candidate because he's a man.
I agree that, in most cases, voting for a woman because she is a woman is poor reasoning, and it certainly makes no sense in the current campaign (when the ideological differences between Clinton and Trump, and Clinton and the GOP, should trump most other considerations). As Antonio pointed out, however, having women in positions of leadership is valuable from a symbolic standpoint; as such, in an election where the candidates are virtually identical in terms of policy and experience, voting for the woman to make a statement about gender equality is a defensible position to take. By contrast, it is not possible to support a male candidate solely because he is male without being a horrible bigot.

Ultimately, it comes down to the motivations of the voters in question. Is advancing the rights of women a desirable goal? Yes. Is keeping women out of government because of one's perverse nostalgia for pre-19th Amendment America similarly desirable? No. Therefore, it is slightly less ridiculous to support a woman because of what her election would mean for gender equality than it is to support a man out of fear of the former. Again, this is mainly hypothetical - there are plenty of reasons to support Hillary Clinton's candidacy without needing to resort to this tiebreaker.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »

I suppose it would be hard to prove one why or the other, but as far as I can tell people I know who oppose her do so for ideological/partisan reasons.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »

My grandmother is really against a woman being President (even her hero Sarah Palin or Carly Fiorina) in general because she feels women are too "catty." I disagree. She'd vote against Hillary if Obama were the GOP nominee though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:29 PM »

Not that I know of. There are very, very few people who would be open about this sort of thing, though.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »

The world we live in is not some crazy get-back-in-the-kitchen dystopia. No.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 11:45:46 PM »

Not to my knowledge, even among the most reactionary of Republicans I know. There are some who don't want Hillary to be the first woman president, however.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies