IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 64551 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: June 13, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »

DMR will be releasing a poll done by Selzer this weekend: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/2020/06/12/iowa-poll-test-iowans-feelings-u-s-senate-race-the-trump-vs-biden-match-up-race-relations-and-other/5346014002/, Selzer and DMR are highly regarded in Iowa, so this poll should give us an accurate standing of where the race stands. If I had to guess I'd say Ernst+4 to 5. But, this should give us a sign of the race in Iowa is actually tightening or if it is statistical noise.
The Iowa Poll will almost certainly rebuke all those crappy Polls from PPP and their leftist cohorts!

oops.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #526 on: June 13, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »

If Ernst really does lose (looking much more possible than before, even if she’s still more likely than not to win), Republicans probably won’t be taking back the Senate until at least 2024, if not later.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #527 on: June 13, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »

Greenfield is now slightly favored over Ernst on PredictIt, not that betting markets are very reliable.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #528 on: June 13, 2020, 11:43:15 PM »

I am glad she is losing after the way Ernst attacked Braley for going after Grassley's judicial record, having no law degree and chairman of the Judicial committee.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #529 on: June 13, 2020, 11:52:26 PM »

If Ernst really does lose (looking much more possible than before, even if she’s still more likely than not to win), Republicans probably won’t be taking back the Senate until at least 2024, if not later.

I would love that to be true, but I can see Ernst losing and the Dems still ending at 53 or less, and having lived through Scott Brown, Mark Kirk, Mark Udall, and all the near misses in 2010 saved by bad Republican recruits, I wouldn't take that bet for 2022. I think it's more likely than not the economy is still in bad shape, Biden looks overwhelmed, and Democrats refuse to show up while Republicans turn out in huge numbers.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #530 on: June 13, 2020, 11:55:51 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2020, 11:59:54 PM by pppolitics »

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #531 on: June 14, 2020, 12:05:16 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2020, 12:10:25 AM by Roll Roons »

I would love that to be true, but I can see Ernst losing and the Dems still ending at 53 or less, and having lived through Scott Brown, Mark Kirk, Mark Udall, and all the near misses in 2010 saved by bad Republican recruits, I wouldn't take that bet for 2022. I think it's more likely than not the economy is still in bad shape, Biden looks overwhelmed, and Democrats refuse to show up while Republicans turn out in huge numbers.

Eh, I think the potential for Republican Senate gains in 2022 is pretty limited. Assuming Kelly wins in AZ and Collins wins in GA, the only plausible Republican targets would be NH, AZ, NV, CO and possibly IL if Duckworth is VP, while they would still have to play defense in PA, WI, NC, FL and GA.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #532 on: June 14, 2020, 12:15:02 AM »

Imo If Ernst looses Dems will probably have 54 or 55, seats. Minus AL, Plus ME,NC,GA-S,GA-R,CO,AZ,TX,MT flip if IA flips
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #533 on: June 14, 2020, 12:25:19 AM »

Imo If Ernst looses Dems will probably have 54 or 55, seats. Minus AL, Plus ME,NC,GA-S,GA-R,CO,AZ,TX,MT flip if IA flips

I disagree on TX and GA-R, I think Iowa flips before them. Agree on the others as being fair game for flipping first.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2020, 12:31:35 AM »

I disagree on TX and GA-R, I think Iowa flips before them. Agree on the others as being fair game for flipping first.
Why GA-R?, its more likely to flip than GA-S in my view, due to the jungle primary.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2020, 12:43:40 AM »

Why GA-R?, its more likely to flip than GA-S in my view, due to the jungle primary.

I guess I assumed Perdue was safer as an incumbent than an open seat would be.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #536 on: June 14, 2020, 12:51:55 AM »

Fair enough, thats a good point
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2020, 12:56:13 AM »

I can’t see IA being less than seat number 53 for Democrats, and even if that’s the case, where are Republicans going to gain four seats? AZ and NH would be vulnerable, and maybe they could flip NV if it’s a real red tsunami, but CO really doesn’t seem within reach for them, even under very good conditions. Unless Democrats end up with an absolutely terrible recruit in what ends up being an open seat, I really don’t seem them getting any more seats.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2020, 01:07:28 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2020, 01:11:16 AM by Senator YE »

Fair enough, thats a good point

Being an incumbent is less of an advantage these days especially in a polarized state like Georgia. If Biden wins the state, I’d say Ossoff is favored to win outright. As for the special, I’ll believe Dems can win a runoff in Georgia when I see it.
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2020, 02:35:24 AM »

Look. If Trump could defy the midterm rule to have a net gain of 2 senate seats in 2018 by making up sh**t about a caravan and milking the Kavanaugh thing, there's no way to say that 2022 is going to be a disaster for Dems in the Senate. The only seats in any real danger would be AZ, NH, and GA depending on who wins the special this year. Meanwhile, Dems have a bunch of targets to go on offense at. No matter midterm year, red wave, blue wave, Dems win when they show up.
woodley park

« Reply #540 on: June 14, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »

Nice to see the consensus shifting on Iowa. This was never going to be safe R -- it's titanium toss-up.

Ernst hugged Trump during impeachment and bragged about how the whole thing was going to hurt Biden, and voted to acquit without hearing any evidence. She has been a blank check for Trump's corruption, and it was always bound to come back to haunt her. Now that the world is falling down around Trump, its a bad look to be tied at the hip to him. Greenfield can win this.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #541 on: June 14, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »

Is there a particular reason that Ernst has been cratering in the polls lately? I actually had this as a borderline Safe R race until recently.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #542 on: June 14, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »

Is there a particular reason that Ernst has been cratering in the polls lately? I actually had this as a borderline Safe R race until recently.

Implosion of the Republican brand thanks to Trump's incompetence catching up to it.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #543 on: June 14, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »

My take, the race never was Safe R to begin with, because Ernst never had good approvals (3rd most unpopular senator) and recent polling is just showing what happens when that's the case. Gotta update my prediction map.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #544 on: June 14, 2020, 12:57:13 PM »

The polls (and Ernst's approvals) have been middling for a while now. It's just been discounted because polling has been pretty spread out and because of an assumption Iowa is borderline safe R.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #545 on: June 14, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »

Folks, Hilary was a bad fit for IA and she wasnt helped by Patty Judge running a sacrificial lamb race against Grassley. Things have changed since 2016, and Dems have 3 incumbent Reps in IA and 4th District is a tossup. 2016 isnt gonna last forever .

Both Hubbard and Cordray lost by 3.5 in a 3.5 percent unemployment,  IA and OH are battlegrounds
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #546 on: June 14, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »

Ernst not polling so well recently but I think she will rebound and hold this seat.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #547 on: June 14, 2020, 07:29:16 PM »

Ernst not polling so well recently but I think she will rebound and hold this seat.

Okay and Ernst approvals are similar to Trump's at 37/43 percent
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #548 on: June 14, 2020, 07:56:48 PM »

Okay and Ernst approvals are similar to Trump's at 37/43 percent

The Selzer poll shows her approval rating at 49/39.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: June 14, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »

3 consecutive polls show her behind
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to: