IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 10:42:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 65040 times)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: September 05, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »

Another week, another Joni Ernst blunder

She'll still win. Iowa has fully embraced fascism at this point.

As we learnt when Steve King resoundingly won his primary. /s

All signs point to Ernst being in more danger than Trump this year and this might just be a Senate tipping point.

Feenstra's no less fascist than King; in fact, he admitted it himself. The only argument he made was that King was no longer effective due to having been stripped of his committee assignments.

I'll believe Ernst losing when Greenfield is sworn in on January 3.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #651 on: September 05, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »

I think 2018 would disagree
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #652 on: September 05, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »

All signs point to Ernst being in more danger than Trump this year and this might just be a Senate tipping point.

I don’t see how this race is a tipping point -- if she loses, the Democrats have already flipped the Senate. Wbrocks constantly searching Twitter/Google/etc. for random stories about Ernst which few people have heard about and/or which will only sway a handful of voters and/or which only people who were never going to vote for Ernst in the first place care about isn’t going to change this.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #653 on: September 05, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »

I don’t see how this race is a tipping point -- if she loses, the Democrats have already flipped the Senate. Wbrocks constantly searching Twitter/Google/etc. for random stories about Ernst which few people have heard about and/or which will only sway a handful of voters and/or which only people who were never going to vote for Ernst in the first place care about isn’t going to change this.

Agreed, Ernst has made a lot of blunders on the campaign trail, but Trump is likelier to perform much better here than in other Senate battlegrounds such as CO, AZ, NC, GA, and ME. Unlike MT, ME, or KS, this race shouldn't have significant ticket splitting, so Ernst's fate is closely tied to Trump, who should still carry Iowa. But I think the important note here is that Ernst being in danger shows how bad the Republican prospects for holding the Senate really are.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #654 on: September 05, 2020, 01:36:38 PM »

The story might seem random on a national level but it actually made waves locally, which is the reason why Ernst was forced to take back her wild accusations.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #655 on: September 05, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »

I don't think it's particularly likely, but recent polling suggests Democrats have a slight advantage in this race and are almost definitely overperforming presidential numbers. Although I suspect polling slightly underestimates IA Republicans across the board, Ernst has been running a terrible campaign in a small state where retail politics seem to matter and while I don't expect that to dramatically change this race, it might be part of a better explanation for her underperformance here than sustained polling error.

The Senate seats I'd expect to fall before this one are AZ, CO, ME and NC (I've grown more pessimistic about GA due to the runoffs and the ongoing clown car in the Loeffler race). Assuming AL goes non-Atlas red, all that's needed to make IASEN a tipping point is a strong Collins overperformance based on personal appeal (unlikely but still possibly given the large number of undecided voters polls tend to show in that race) or a general Democratic overperformance in the midwest relative to NC.

I think either of those scenarios happening in addition to me being correct about MT, GA, GA-S, TX, AK and KS being slightly or somewhat less winnable than IA is a tall order, but it's not implausible and seems much more realistic than it did to me a few months ago.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #656 on: September 05, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »

The story might seem random on a national level but it actually made waves locally, which is the reason why Ernst was forced to take back her wild accusations.

I really love when people feel the need to tell other people what stories aren't and are gong to matter. Pretty sure every blunder that I've posted in here has made waves locally in Iowa - especially this one, like you said, b/c she had to take it back b/c it made waves locally.

It would not surprise me if Ernst underperformed Trump.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #657 on: September 05, 2020, 02:42:16 PM »

I hope hat the people of Iowa are not stupid enough to reelect this joke of a senator. But I won't believe we are ahead here until I get a poll showing Greenfield ahead by 6-7 due to GOP overperformances in Iowa in 14, 16, and 18
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #658 on: September 05, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »

Ah yes, I'm quite a fan of Governor Hubbell too.

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #659 on: September 05, 2020, 03:53:49 PM »

Ah yes, I'm quite a fan of Governor Hubbell too.

The PV for the House elections was Democratic in part because of voters in red CD-04, including many who supported Reynolds over Hubbell. They split their tickets specifically to stop the white nationalist in their Congressional race.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #660 on: September 05, 2020, 06:23:42 PM »

It’s pretty evident that Ernst is a moron, but I don’t see Greenfield winning over that many Trump voters, especially since Trump isn’t exactly a polished speaker or genius himself. I’d say she only has a shot if Trump is winning IA by 2 or less.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #661 on: September 05, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »

It’s pretty evident that Ernst is a moron, but I don’t see Greenfield winning over that many Trump voters, especially since Trump isn’t exactly a polished speaker or genius himself. I’d say she only has a shot if Trump is winning IA by 2 or less.

Dems have 3 Congressional districts that they are defending, iA 1, and 3 are Safe D and IA 2 and 4 are safe R, Greenfield have lead Ernst in every poll recently, that's why Greenfield will win, based on our Congressional candidates in IA
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #662 on: September 07, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »

I never bought into the Greenfield hype here. This will be called a "tossup" until Election Day but it's really closer to Likely R in terms of who I expect to win. Ernst by 4-5.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #663 on: September 07, 2020, 12:52:11 PM »

I was a skeptic of both Greenfield's candidacy and IA Democrats' chances in this race for most of this, but "Likely R" doesn't seem appropriate. There has not been especially frequent polling but most of it has been in Greenfield's favour and even the latest Selzer poll (admittedly as far back as June, but there doesn't appear to have been a huge shift in IA since then) shows Greenfield ahead of Biden in terms of margin and topline numbers.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #664 on: September 09, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #665 on: September 28, 2020, 05:47:42 AM »

See, this is what Greenfield has going for her. She's clearly a lot more personable and relatable than Joni "Karen" Ernst

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #666 on: September 28, 2020, 06:31:34 AM »

Ernst is done
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #667 on: September 28, 2020, 11:43:54 PM »

Lol, Ernst has been losing in every poll
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #668 on: September 29, 2020, 03:35:54 AM »

That David moderator is awful, I wanted to punch him in the face so badly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #669 on: September 29, 2020, 06:03:37 AM »

Rs still believe that Ernst can't lose and she is losing. IA is once again a swing state, Biden helped Obama win it in 2008/12, sorry Indy Rep
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #670 on: September 29, 2020, 06:50:51 AM »

I think Ernst will win by a few points but it is possible for Greenfield to win.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #671 on: September 29, 2020, 07:05:43 AM »

That moderator was condescending to both of them.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #672 on: October 01, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »

WTF poll just released?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/senate/ia/iowa_senate_ernst_vs_greenfield-7072.html

can anyone explain how this can be close to reality?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #673 on: October 01, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »

I mean, I'd love to see Ernst get mini-Blanched by 12 points, but yeah...this poll isn't close to reality at all.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #674 on: October 01, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »

Ernst is voting for Barrett, likewise with Collins, she said the voting must wait til after election, but we know from Kavanaugh that she would vote to confirm Justice Barrett. Ernst is done
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies