IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:58:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 63843 times)
indietraveler

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: July 19, 2020, 07:51:28 AM »

Greenfield and state democrats should question Ernst on her thoughts on the governor's recent announcement regarding schools. And if she gives a half ass answer they need to tie her to Reynolds. Seeing a lot of conservative leaners or people not typically involved in politics pissed that she threw out each and every school districts individual plan for starting the year.

walleye26

« Reply #576 on: July 19, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »

Greenfield and state democrats should question Ernst on her thoughts on the governor's recent announcement regarding schools. And if she gives a half ass answer they need to tie her to Reynolds. Seeing a lot of conservative leaners or people not typically involved in politics pissed that she threw out each and every school districts individual plan for starting the year.

I feel that could work in the Des Moines suburbs pretty well. I didn’t realize Reynolds threw out the school’s plans.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:24 AM »

Ernst is going to underperform Trump because she's a terrible candidate.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »

Ernst is going to underperform Trump because she's a terrible candidate.

I sure hope you're right.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2020, 09:06:11 AM »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is it pretty much a given that Auditor Sand runs against her in 2022? He’s been a huge critic on Twitter
indietraveler

« Reply #580 on: July 19, 2020, 10:20:56 AM »

I feel that could work in the Des Moines suburbs pretty well. I didn’t realize Reynolds threw out the school’s plans.

Yes, parents have the option for keep their kids at home but schools have to be open in person for more than half the time. Schools here spent a lot of time developing their own guidelines based on community outreach and other data.

It's probably more effective if it's framed along the lines of "schools should get to decide..." and not have it be about stuff like masks. I think that narrative would have appeal beyond just the suburbs. Schools also now have to work with the state for shutting down when there is an outbreak and the standard was also lowered for qualifying to be a substitute teacher.

The whole thing has been fairly vague yet restrictive. The most details/metrics of any kind given are the lower standard for subs now, which in a way is just admitting that you know teachers will get sick and you will still try to push on.
indietraveler

« Reply #581 on: July 19, 2020, 10:22:14 AM »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is it pretty much a given that Auditor Sand runs against her in 2022? He’s been a huge critic on Twitter

I wouldn't be surprised but I guess I'm not sure how much of a given it is. He would be a pretty good choice.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #582 on: July 20, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »

Interesting article here: https://iowastartingline.com/2020/07/20/joni-ernst-is-really-bad-at-this/
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #583 on: July 30, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »

Theresa Greenfield scrubbed job experience from her campaign website following attacks from the GOP about her business record.

“Why is Greenfield hiding from her record?” the Ernst campaign asks in a digital ad launching Monday.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/ernst-campaign-asks-why-greenfield-scrubbed-job-experience-from-website/article_04253c8e-14d8-5078-a370-c59c71196034.html
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #584 on: July 30, 2020, 09:05:56 AM »

Theresa Greenfield scrubbed job experience from her campaign website following attacks from the GOP about her business record.

“Why is Greenfield hiding from her record?” the Ernst campaign asks in a digital ad launching Monday.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/ernst-campaign-asks-why-greenfield-scrubbed-job-experience-from-website/article_04253c8e-14d8-5078-a370-c59c71196034.html

Ernst is getting desperate
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #585 on: July 30, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »

Why do you have this tendency to view everything as a positive for the Democrats?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #586 on: July 30, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »

Why do you have this tendency to view everything as a positive for the Democrats?

I could say the same thing about you in reverse?

And I'm not, but Ernst's actions recently are just kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel of whatever they can find, even if it's something that doesn't really matter, to make it out to be a "scandal" for Greenfield when she really doesn't have any
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #587 on: July 30, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »

And I'm not, but Ernst's actions recently are just kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel of whatever they can find, even if it's something that doesn't really matter, to make it out to be a "scandal" for Greenfield when she really doesn't have any

I understand, but every campaign does that. They see if the attack sticks and if it doesn’t, they just move on. That’s how Trump won in 2016.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #588 on: July 30, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »

I recently acknowledged that Greenfield was doing very well among Obama-Trump voters and Ernst will probably underperform Trump. I’ve never seen you say anything like that.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #589 on: July 30, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »

This "scandal" seems like a nothingburger to me - Greenfield's campaign is just simplifying her biography to make it more streamlined; "I am a small businesswoman" gets straight to the aspect of the candidate that they want you to remember than "I worked at X company for a while, rose up, then worked at Y company".

Does it take away attention from voters bothering to look up her records at those companies? Possibly, but I think diverting attention away from any potential negatives about a candidate is the natural action from any campaign.

...and looking into this further, it seems that this really is a nothingburger: This local news article concludes that what Ernst was attacking Greenfield for was normal business for a real estate company. It's just spun in the most negative light; again, normal stuff to do when attacking your opposition.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #590 on: July 30, 2020, 03:19:52 PM »

Kim Reynolds who has escaped impeachment and Trump corruption is still popular, while Ernst along with Collins voted to acquit Trump, which was the wrong move. That's why Ernst will lose.

Also, Hillary was a worse fit for Iowa river valley than Biden or Bernie are, that's why Bernie or Biden are doing much better in Iowa, Ohio and VA. That's why Beshear won KY Gov and Ds swept all the offices in VA. Kasich is also endorsing Biden, bad news for Trump in IA and OH.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #591 on: July 30, 2020, 03:21:53 PM »

Man I never realized Ernst was such a lightweight
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #592 on: July 30, 2020, 03:23:30 PM »

Man I never realized Ernst was such a lightweight

Hillary was the lightweight in Iowa and Rs crushed Ds in Iowa and OH
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #593 on: July 30, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »

Galaxy Brain Joni.

I know this is old but it's the stupidest thing I've read.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #594 on: July 31, 2020, 04:14:30 PM »

Joni is just getting sad at this point

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #595 on: July 31, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »

Remember when this race was Safe R, and Ernst was going to win by double digits? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #596 on: July 31, 2020, 04:26:35 PM »

Remember when this race was Safe R, and Ernst was going to win by double digits? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

It would have been, had Biden not been in landslide territory nationally. Even then Trump and Ernst will probably still win narrowly, even as Biden is probably winning by double digits. It would have been Safe R had this not been a wave election.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #597 on: July 31, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »

Genius by Greenfield.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #598 on: July 31, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »

It would have been, had Biden not been in landslide territory nationally. Even then Trump and Ernst will probably still win narrowly, even as Biden is probably winning by double digits. It would have been Safe R had this not been a wave election.

This really does a lot to mask the fact that Joni just might have proven herself this campaign to be a... not great candidate either.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #599 on: July 31, 2020, 04:35:04 PM »

Looking forward to everyone saying that Greenfield was a "weak candidate" all the time when she inevitably ends up doing worse than Bullock, Hegar (who loses by 1% or so), and Ossoff (who finishes at 49.5% or something like that) and that they saw it coming all along. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies