Guys: How would you react?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:19:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Guys: How would you react?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Poll
Question: You are in a bar, and a guy tells you that you're stunningly good looking and he'd like to dance with you.
OMG Get AWAY from me, lest teh GAY GENE spread!!!!111

"Eww, gross man!!" and run away to find cover

"Dude, no, I'm not into that," and walk away

"I'm flattered, but I'm not into that.  Enjoy your night."

"Hey thanks man!  Lets dance"

--not a guy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Guys: How would you react?  (Read 14504 times)
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »

I would give him a bible and talk to him about Jesus Christ and how he can turn from his sinful ways and be saved.
After which he and his friends mug your homophobic ass.

Just because you disagree w/an act doesn't make you "fear" it like you claim. Quit using PC strawman arguments.
So saying that you need to 'save' somebody doesn't mean that you are afraid of them? That sound homophobic to me.

Maybe some well intentioned people who believe that leading a sinful life will lead to an afterlife of condemnation are trying to help those people better themselves and lead them towards a future of salvation.
You just proved my point.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2005, 12:19:17 AM »

I would give him a bible and talk to him about Jesus Christ and how he can turn from his sinful ways and be saved.

Just because you disagree w/an act doesn't make you "fear" it like you claim. Quit using PC strawman arguments.
So saying that you need to 'save' somebody doesn't mean that you are afraid of them? That sound homophobic to me.

Maybe some well intentioned people who believe that leading a sinful life will lead to an afterlife of condemnation are trying to help those people better themselves and lead them towards a future of salvation.
You just proved my point.

People do not lead other people to God out of their own fears.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2005, 11:47:25 AM »

Option 4.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2005, 11:48:54 AM »

Trying to convert homosexuals to your religion is far from homophobia; a true homophobe would not bother and only minister to heterosexuals.  Y'all need to stop throwing around the word "homophobe" so much; you do realize that when you overuse it like this the word loses its significance?

homophobia = fear of the same?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2005, 03:13:51 PM »

Oh, BTW, I'd say 3 but think 4 (I don't really talk like Option 4).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2005, 05:29:21 AM »

I voted 4. Though I probably wouldn't say that I'm flattered. I wouldn't walk away either though. I suspect the point of this thread is to reveal that we are all homophobes deep down and only being hypocritical when we talk about gay rights. Tongue

Since I never use the words "gay rights," I can't be a hypocrite, now can I?  And I dislike the term homophobe, just because you dont agree with something doesn't mean you fear it.

If someone walked up to you and said "want to join the Communist Party" I don't think your reaction would be to think or say "ew, OMG!" or anything like that even though you disagree with that.

Actually Gustaf, I would! Smiley

Seriously though it would make me think of all the problems with communism and think how could any clear mnded person really want this when you know it is a failed system.

Lol, yeah...I think my points still stands though. And it's fairly obvious that the hatred towards homosexuals mostly stems from homophobia.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2005, 12:37:12 AM »

I voted 4. Though I probably wouldn't say that I'm flattered. I wouldn't walk away either though. I suspect the point of this thread is to reveal that we are all homophobes deep down and only being hypocritical when we talk about gay rights. Tongue

Since I never use the words "gay rights," I can't be a hypocrite, now can I?  And I dislike the term homophobe, just because you dont agree with something doesn't mean you fear it.

If someone walked up to you and said "want to join the Communist Party" I don't think your reaction would be to think or say "ew, OMG!" or anything like that even though you disagree with that.

Seriously though it would make me think of all the problems with communism and think how could any clear mnded person really want this when you know it is a failed system.

Lol, yeah...I think my points still stands though. And it's fairly obvious that the hatred towards homosexuals mostly stems from homophobia.

Nonsense.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2005, 12:44:11 AM »

Nonsense.
It does make sense. Good job, Gustaf. You are truly a great person.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2005, 12:59:39 AM »

Nonsense.

Back it up Athiest.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2005, 01:05:40 AM »

Nonsense.

Back it up Athiest.
I'm not an athiest. That's a rather unneccessary comment, Jeffrey.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2005, 01:08:56 AM »

Nonsense.

Back it up Athiest.

You must be one of those PC tolerant of anything "Christians".
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2005, 01:10:08 AM »

Nonsense.

Back it up Athiest.

You must be one of those PC tolerant of anything "Christians".
Why, yes, I am a tolerant Christian. Are you a Christian, or are you a Atheist. I am prett sure it is the latter.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2005, 01:24:47 AM »

Why are you pretty sure he's an Atheist, and do you consider the way you publicly call people "stupid" because you lost an argument with them a good display of your tolerance?
That's not very polite, Ebowed. You brought up the subject, so I was merely scolding you for your ignorance.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »

Grow up and get a dictionary.  Then look up "phobia."  You'll see the words "irrational" and "fear" coming in.  In fact, phobias are a bit of a curiousity in the psych world.

People with acrophobia gets nervous when they look down from a great height.  In fact, their heart starts beating faster, their breathing rate increases, and they usually start to perspire and feel uneasy.  You can very easily distinguish this from someone that either HATES heights, or FEARS it by just refusing to go anywhere near or close to heights.

The same principle applies to homophobia.  It is a deep, irrational fear of homosexuals.  So much that the person experiences bodily changes and is in danger of going unconscious if the element of fear is not removed.

There is a simple disgust for homosexuality, a simple fear, a simple avoidance, etc.  Very few people are homophobic.  Please do not use the term to describe people who does not agree with you.  People that are homophobic will actually have heart attacks if surrounded by gays that touch them.  I'm sure that is not the case with anyone on the forum.  They may simply be disgusted and punch any gay touching them; that is fine.  That is not homophobia. 

You literally cheapen the term for those people that truely have such a deep, irrational fear that they cannot possibly control.

Get a life.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2005, 01:24:58 AM »

number three
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2005, 01:26:34 AM »

From dictionary.com:
2. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
Sounds like they dislike them. Hence -phobia, or homophobia.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2005, 04:28:26 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2005, 04:33:15 AM by Governor Wildcard »

You see I see it very differently. Ideology is something you choose. Whereas there isn't enough proof that the same can be said for sexuality.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2005, 12:13:38 PM »

Let's say you dislike trees.  Are you necessarily afraid of them?
Let's say you read what I posted, Ebowed. You are acting as if a phobia is just a fear, when it can also be a hatred or dislike. Quit being so ignorant.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2005, 12:38:14 PM »

From dictionary.com:
2. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
Sounds like they dislike them. Hence -phobia, or homophobia.
Would you have sex for me?  What, you have a strong aversion to have sex with me?  Homophobe!
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2005, 01:13:49 AM »

Let's say you dislike trees.  Are you necessarily afraid of them?
Let's say you read what I posted, Ebowed. You are acting as if a phobia is just a fear, when it can also be a hatred or dislike. Quit being so ignorant.
Let's say you read what I post, Mr. Reese.  I gave an example of how hating something would not be a phobia, and all you can do is dodge it and call me ignorant.

I thought his last name was "Rahl"...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies