Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:05:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 916867 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: February 21, 2022, 08:14:53 AM »

I honestly don't understand the Ukrainian strategy at all: they're not well-prepared for a war they have a pretty good idea is coming and has been telegraphed for 3 months, they seem to want this war for their nation's defense to be fought by other state's militaries, been given aid by other countries for their own troops to use but been told repeatedly other country's troops will not enter Ukraine to fight the Russians for them, yet want harsh punitive measures on Russia now that would just help the war that has a marginal chance of not occurring to even more certainly take place since the Russians would have less to lose. This is suicide.

The best thing I can come up with is Zelensky and his aids have written off eastern Ukraine, written off Crimea (I don't know if they've written off Kiev or not, we may see the capital move west), they know they'll lose a war, but they won't give up anything diplomatically to serve the broader longer-term purpose of NATO membership/EU membership for whatever Ukrainian remnant exists, and after the war use the victim card to say "NATO and Europe did not help us to the degree necessary and thousands of Ukrainians died because of your inaction" to shame their way into these alliances. Is that playing games with the lives of your citizens? Yes. I'm fully expecting Zelensky to blame the U.S. if war occurs and Ukraine loses, blaming America for all your country's problems is a global sport after all and plays well at home.

Basically:
  • they think that Putin blinks
  • even if Putin doesn't blink, whatever he'll do is better than caving and/or implementing Minsk or what not.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #901 on: February 21, 2022, 08:18:11 AM »

Macron Proposed Putin-Biden Summit, Accepted by Both Sides: AFP

Apparently, Biden asked Macron to?

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-asked-macron-make-offer-putin-biden-summit-putin-french-official-2022-02-21/
Biden asked Macron to make offer of Putin-Biden summit to Putin -French official
PARIS, Feb 21 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden had asked French President Emmanuel Macron to make the offer of a summit between Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin to Putin, said an official from the French Presidency.

"We're slowly changing the course of things. We're creating a diplomatic perspective the Kremlin accepts," said the French presidential adviser.

"He is a facilitator," added the French presidential adviser, commenting on Macron's role.

Or is it a new development?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #902 on: February 21, 2022, 08:22:23 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 08:25:40 AM by StateBoiler »

I honestly don't understand the Ukrainian strategy at all: they're not well-prepared for a war they have a pretty good idea is coming and has been telegraphed for 3 months, they seem to want this war for their nation's defense to be fought by other state's militaries, been given aid by other countries for their own troops to use but been told repeatedly other country's troops will not enter Ukraine to fight the Russians for them, yet want harsh punitive measures on Russia now that would just help the war that has a marginal chance of not occurring to even more certainly take place since the Russians would have less to lose. This is suicide.

The best thing I can come up with is Zelensky and his aids have written off eastern Ukraine, written off Crimea (I don't know if they've written off Kiev or not, we may see the capital move west), they know they'll lose a war, but they won't give up anything diplomatically to serve the broader longer-term purpose of NATO membership/EU membership for whatever Ukrainian remnant exists, and after the war use the victim card to say "NATO and Europe did not help us to the degree necessary and thousands of Ukrainians died because of your inaction" to shame their way into these alliances. Is that playing games with the lives of your citizens? Yes. I'm fully expecting Zelensky to blame the U.S. if war occurs and Ukraine loses, blaming America for all your country's problems is a global sport after all and plays well at home.

Basically:
  • they think that Putin blinks
  • even if Putin doesn't blink, whatever he'll do is better than caving and/or implementing Minsk or what not.

They think that Putin blinks. They're the smaller less powerful country here. Quite the gamble.

Even if Putin doesn't blink... They could be looking at losing half their country pretty much permanently.

I feel Zelensky is looking for Ukraine to lose a war and just have someone else to blame for it. This is an absolutely stupid strategy, but how else can you explain NOT MOBILIZING YOUR MILITARY AND RESERVES?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #903 on: February 21, 2022, 08:27:27 AM »

Wtf? WH doubles down, if not triples...

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

The letter says the Russian military’s targets would include Russian and Belarusian dissidents in exile in Ukraine, journalists and anti-corruption activists, and “vulnerable populations such as religious and ethnic minorities and LGBTQI+ persons.”

The letter alleges that Moscow’s post-invasion planning would involve torture, forced disappearances and “widespread human suffering.” It does not describe the nature of the intelligence that undergirds its assessment.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #904 on: February 21, 2022, 08:30:36 AM »

Not good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleiwitz_incident
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #905 on: February 21, 2022, 08:32:59 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 08:59:09 AM by rc18 »

What preparations do you want the the Ukrainian military to make? It is completely outclassed by Russia, there really isn't much in the way of effective defence the Ukrainians could muster against Russian air superiority or their copious amounts of short range ballistic missiles and artillery.

I mean you asked about why they aren't fully mobilizing their military. All that does is advertise juicy targets for Russian shock and awe bombardment. They might as well paint massive "bomb me" signs.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #906 on: February 21, 2022, 08:46:58 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #907 on: February 21, 2022, 08:48:27 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/russian-banks-imported-5-billion-foreign-cash-december-acra-estimates-2022-02-21/
Russian banks imported $5 billion in foreign cash in December -ACRA estimates
MOSCOW, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Russian ratings agency ACRA estimates that the country's banks imported $5 billion worth of banknotes in foreign currencies in December, up from $2.65 billion a year before, in a pre-emptive step in case of sanctions creating increased demand.
👀
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #908 on: February 21, 2022, 09:06:14 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 09:12:04 AM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Wouldn't be surprised if Putin recognize Donbass independent today.

Says again (he always talks about it) that Kiev doesn't want to implement Minsk. Mentions today's DNR/LNR recognition request.

It's now send live at least on Russian main TV channel.
Putin's speech (LIVE) with translation:

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #909 on: February 21, 2022, 09:08:32 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 09:16:52 AM by StateBoiler »

What preparations do you want the the Ukrainian military to make? It is completely outclassed by Russia, there really isn't much in the way of effective defence the Ukrainians could muster against Russian air superiority or their copious amounts of short range ballistic missiles and artillery.

Is there any analysis out there expecting a meaningful defense by the Ukrainian military?

You mean like concrete bunkers or at least sandbag barriers? Boarded up windows? Explosive load buildings ready to collapse onto an advancing column? Explosive laden bridges to block an advance? Battalion and company fall back positions? Machine gun nests? An HQ?

None exists.

I mean you asked about why they aren't fully mobilizing their military. All that does is advertise juicy targets for Russian shock and awe bombardment. They might as well paint massive "bomb me" signs.

What are their defensive measures for advancing ground forces?

Zelensky is talking a big game, and it's not being matched by anything on the ground reality at all. He is providing nothing that would cause the Russian military pause and generate significant resistance that would force the Russians to bleed, meaning the Russians can just walk in and declare victory. "Forcing the Russians to bleed if they choose to invade" was the only reason a lot of countries gave Ukraine all this military equipment aid to start with. The Ukrainian defensive structure does struggle with I think I read there were 9 possible invasion routes Russia could choose, and the Ukrainians can't cover all 9. But militarily it appears they're not preparing to the point of in the end it might be that Georgia in 2008 put up a better fight.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #910 on: February 21, 2022, 09:20:21 AM »

Wow, Michael Strahan. They really brought out the top-notch news journalist deserving of that interview.

(For our foreign readers, he's a former player in the NFL.)
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #911 on: February 21, 2022, 09:43:31 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 10:27:31 AM by rc18 »

Is there any analysis out there expecting a meaningful defense by the Ukrainian military?

You mean like concrete bunkers or at least sandbag barriers? Boarded up windows? Explosive load buildings ready to collapse onto an advancing column? Explosive laden bridges to block an advance? Battalion and company fall back positions? Machine gun nests? An HQ?

None exists.

Zelensky is talking a big game, and it's not being matched by anything on the ground reality at all. He is providing nothing that would cause the Russian military pause and generate significant resistance that would force the Russians to bleed, meaning the Russians can just walk in and declare victory. "Forcing the Russians to bleed if they choose to invade" was the only reason a lot of countries gave Ukraine all this military equipment aid to start with. The Ukrainian defensive structure does struggle with I think I read there were 9 possible invasion routes Russia could choose, and the Ukrainians can't cover all 9. But militarily it appears they're not preparing to the point of in the end it might be that Georgia in 2008 put up a better fight.

Where are you getting this idea that Russia's first act would be to engage in a general ground invasion? That isn't how they work. They have vast batteries of SRBMs that are capable of striking Kiev without ever setting foot on Ukrainian territory. Eastern Ukraine would be levelled before any serious movement of armour. It isn't like the Russians are going to engage in massed tank battles; their greatest advantage is the ability to bomb opponents back into the stone age, they would obliterate Ukrainian positions from well beyond the horizon.

Eastern Ukraine is flat, Afghanistan this is not. There is nowhere to hide, a bunker is just an elaborate "bomb me" sign. Sandbags are meaningless. The Russians can quickly assemble pontoon bridges. I don't expect the Russians to leave enough buildings left standing for the Ukrainians to blow up (nor for that matter are the Russians stupid enough to push a tank column through the streets of a bombed-out city anyway). Machine gun nests? What is the point in that when the Russians have such a massive advantage in artillery? The machine guns will never see who is shooting at them.

"Forcing the Russians to bleed if they choose to invade" was the only reason a lot of countries gave Ukraine all this military equipment aid to start with.

This was just a fig leaf. They know very well that by the time this type of guerrilla warfare campaign would come into its own Ukraine would have long become a smouldering ruin anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #912 on: February 21, 2022, 10:01:23 AM »

Artillery (however defined) has been the most prestigious and tactically important element in the Russian military since the 18th century and there's a tendency to shape strategy and tactics around this fact wherever possible.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #913 on: February 21, 2022, 10:02:15 AM »

Russian equities down 15% on this news
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #914 on: February 21, 2022, 10:07:35 AM »

Yeah. And Putin hasn't officially done it yet 🙉🙈🙊.

Though, probably 95% he will. Unless Macron calls him right now...
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #915 on: February 21, 2022, 10:10:10 AM »

I think this is a bad idea.  Putin has to explain to the Russians, potential allies, and other powers what is different today versus say a year ago to justify this.  He is also throwing about any leverage over Ukraine.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #916 on: February 21, 2022, 10:17:46 AM »

If Zelensky really believes that a massive Russian invasion is coming he should pull his troops back and have units in place to cut off roads and bridges in Eastern Ukraine as soon as Russian troops move in.    He should also put Eastern Ukraine under quarantine and prohibit civilian access to key communications nodes so the Russians are denied intelligence on what the Ukrainian forces are up to in Eastern Ukraine.

BTW, if the Russians were going to attack they will do the same (quarantine and prohibit civilian access to key communications nodes( on their side of the border.  The fact that neither side is doing this indicates to me both sides do not expect a major conflict to break out.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #917 on: February 21, 2022, 10:18:34 AM »

Or not. Some "advisers" has said, it might be used as ultimatum and give Biden 2-3 days.

Some guy got so stressed, he said, he wants to take DNR/LNR into Russia Federation  Angry Putin corrected him, that nobody is talking about that now.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #918 on: February 21, 2022, 10:28:32 AM »

"The decision will be made today" Putin ends national security council meeting with...
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #919 on: February 21, 2022, 10:33:36 AM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #920 on: February 21, 2022, 10:51:06 AM »

If Zelensky really believes that a massive Russian invasion is coming he should pull his troops back and have units in place to cut off roads and bridges in Eastern Ukraine as soon as Russian troops move in.

Western military observers in forums like this one are saying the Ukrainian military has done nothing. I'm pretty certain if that gets out to us the Russians know it too.

He should also put Eastern Ukraine under quarantine and prohibit civilian access to key communications nodes so the Russians are denied intelligence on what the Ukrainian forces are up to in Eastern Ukraine.

All the OSINT out there that is telling us about the buildup of Russian forces in Donbass and Belarus, they've moved within so many kilometers of the Ukrainian border, Russian combat engineers have built land bridges across rivers, etc., that OSINT can be done to Ukrainian forces too showing where they are moving to or lack therof as well, and the Russians have their own reconaissance satellites.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #921 on: February 21, 2022, 10:53:33 AM »

Hey, if you're an investor and have balls of steel don't believe a war is going to happen, buy the dip.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #922 on: February 21, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »

Is this even Putin? Some time ago I noticed that he wears his watch on the right arm.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #923 on: February 21, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »

None exists.

Where are you getting this idea that Russia's first act would be to engage in a general ground invasion? That isn't how they work. They have vast batteries of SRBMs that are capable of striking Kiev without ever setting foot on Ukrainian territory. Eastern Ukraine would be levelled before any serious movement of armour. It isn't like the Russians are going to engage in massed tank battles; their greatest advantage is the ability to bomb opponents back into the stone age, they would obliterate Ukrainian positions from well beyond the horizon.

Find me my post I said we're engaging in massive tank battles? Go back a month or so I said the Ukrainians can't do anything to Russia's Black Sea ships, so the smart thing to do for the Russians would be the ships and their air force blow up armor and equipment before you even send in ground forces. But if they never send in ground forces, they don't change reality on the ground as far as government of control. If Russia do nothing but shoot a bunch of missiles they won't accomplish whatever their end goal is, Zelensky's in power, Ukraine's more anti-Russian and furious, and the West will do their sanctions. Whatever the end goal is (territory, darker black line border for Donbass, regime change), they have to actually invade and occupy. What is Ukraine's response to all these ground forces? Are they planning on allowing the Russians to march straight into Kiev without resistance and put Zelensky in handcuffs as it currently looks?
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #924 on: February 21, 2022, 11:02:59 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 11:21:13 AM by rc18 »

Is this even Putin? Some time ago I noticed that he wears his watch on the right arm.

No, that is Defence Minister Sergey Shoigu's arm.

It's interesting because if this is recorded it means Putin wanted stuff like Naryshkin's comment and his response to be broadcast.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies