GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:40:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 144752 times)
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: October 14, 2022, 07:20:58 PM »

Really hate when idiot candidates go into a debate, (for the most part) talk in complete sentences, and everyone screams "debate bounce!"

Welcome to politics, I guess. See also: the current and prior President of the United States.
HidingCommentary
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1301 on: October 14, 2022, 07:21:30 PM »

Really hate when idiot candidates go into a debate, (for the most part) talk in complete sentences, and everyone screams "debate bounce!"

These debates rarely get more than 100k viewers. And only a small portion of those viewers are up in the air.

Now, if something goes viral, say one candidate waving around a fake police badge and being scolded, that could have an actual effect.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1302 on: October 14, 2022, 07:21:41 PM »

I moved from supporting nobody to supporting Walker after this debate.

I genuinely don’t know how this debate could improve your opinion of Walker, can you please elaborate?

I can understand if it didn’t change your opinion, or if you were supporting him before and continue to do so, but to go from undecided to pro-Walker? How?

DTC is a crazy person, that's how.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1303 on: October 14, 2022, 07:23:47 PM »

Yeah, I'm not really sure that "beating expectations" matters in a debate that no one watches. Obviously it does in presidential debates, but like 50% of the electorate sits down and watches those. I doubt 50% of the Georgia electorate was even aware this was happening today. To the extent most voters consume this it will be the viral Twitter clips.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1304 on: October 14, 2022, 07:23:49 PM »

Welcome to politics, I guess. See also: the current and prior President of the United States.

Thank you.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1305 on: October 14, 2022, 07:24:28 PM »

cry for attention or cry for help? you decide.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1306 on: October 14, 2022, 07:24:44 PM »

I genuinely don’t know how this debate could improve your opinion of Walker, can you please elaborate?

I can understand if it didn’t change your opinion, or if you were supporting him before and continue to do so, but to go from undecided to pro-Walker? How?

To me, what is crazy is completely ignoring how big of an issue inflation is in this country. One of the biggest reasons why I voted for Joe Biden is democrats have traditionally had a better record on inflation, and Trump contributed a lot to the national debt. But the second Joe Biden came into office, he implemented many policies that contributed to inflation an exacerbated it, such as the American Rescue Plan, the rent moratorium, expanded unemployment, $400 billion student loan debt removal, among other poorly thought out policies. But I suppose looking good in your circle is more important than being able to afford basic goods and services.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1307 on: October 14, 2022, 07:25:57 PM »

These debates rarely get more than 100k viewers. And only a small portion of those viewers are up in the air.

Now, if something goes viral, say one candidate waving around a fake police badge and being scolded, that could have an actual effect.

So yeah. That was the knockout blow. He looks retarded. Literally intellectually disabled. And the way moderators talked down to him was too much.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1308 on: October 14, 2022, 07:33:49 PM »

To me, what is crazy is completely ignoring how big of an issue inflation is in this country. One of the biggest reasons why I voted for Joe Biden is democrats have traditionally had a better record on inflation, and Trump contributed a lot to the national debt. But the second Joe Biden came into office, he implemented many policies that contributed to inflation an exacerbated it, such as the American Rescue Plan, the rent moratorium, expanded unemployment, $400 billion student loan debt removal, among other poorly thought out policies. But I suppose looking good in your circle is more important than being able to afford basic goods and services.
The national debt and inflation are two separate issues, but you thinking they are super connected is about as intelligent as the american public. Anyways im not gonna blow smoke up your *ss for a vote, besides what exactly do you propose to reduce inflation beyond insane rate hikes which would cause a huge recession?

Oh and you literally supported the same policies last year and threatened to switch your vote if you didnt get your stimmy check so….yeah your track record speaks for itself.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1309 on: October 14, 2022, 07:35:14 PM »

I can see Walker gaining some R support from this debate actually. Obviously he’s not convincing any Biden voters to go his way but he may have calmed some Rs who just weren’t sure if he was lucid enough to stand on two feet and put words together for an hour.

I do think Warnock wins, though I now think it’ll be a runoff. Was expecting this to be a knockout blow honestly, surprised Walker did ok.

I hope there is a runoff, just on the off chance that Warnock can drag Stacey Abrams across the finish line like he did to Ossoff 2 years ago.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1310 on: October 14, 2022, 07:38:38 PM »

The national debt and inflation are two separate issues, but you thinking they are super connected is about as intelligent as the american public. Anyways im not gonna blow smoke up your *ss for a vote, besides what exactly do you propose to reduce inflation beyond insane rate hikes which would cause a huge recession?

Oh and you literally supported the same policies last year and threatened to switch your vote if you didnt get your stimmy check so….yeah your track record speaks for itself.

We need tax increases and spending cuts. Slight increases to taxes on everyone -- especially the rich -- and Social Security retirement age raised to 70, as well as a slight reduction in SS payments. More will need to be done to reduce the national debt, but we have to be careful not to cause a depression. This will not fix inflation by itself (unless it causes a severe recession), because we still have the problem of a bunch of people retiring and a lopsided labor force, as well as recovering supply chain issues. But this help reduces the demand side of inflation.

I wanted a stimulus check because at the time in January 2021, we were not sure if the vaccines were going to bring back the economy on track. At the time in January 2021, we needed to make sure the economy would not go into freefall because there were 300,000 COVID cases a day, and vaccines only just started to go out. Once the economic data changed, and it was clear that vaccines were going to bring the economy back up and running, I switched to supporting austerity measures.

Not sure why you think this is a gotcha. You need to do different economic policies depending on the context of the time. In 2020-2021, we needed to support and prop up the economy. My opposition to Trump's deficits come from his 2017 tax cut, which was not needed and passed during a time of economic expansion.  
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1311 on: October 14, 2022, 08:01:11 PM »

We need tax increases and spending cuts. Slight increases to taxes on everyone -- especially the rich -- and Social Security retirement age raised to 70, as well as a slight reduction in SS payments. More will need to be done to reduce the national debt, but we have to be careful not to cause a depression. This will not fix inflation by itself (unless it causes a severe recession), because we still have the problem of a bunch of people retiring and a lopsided labor force, as well as recovering supply chain issues. But this help reduces the demand side of inflation.

I wanted a stimulus check because at the time in January 2021, we were not sure if the vaccines were going to bring back the economy on track. At the time in January 2021, we needed to make sure the economy would not go into freefall because there were 300,000 COVID cases a day, and vaccines only just started to go out. Once the economic data changed, and it was clear that vaccines were going to bring the economy back up and running, I switched to supporting austerity measures.

Not sure why you think this is a gotcha. You need to do different economic policies depending on the context of the time. In 2020-2021, we needed to support and prop up the economy. My opposition to Trump's deficits come from his 2017 tax cut, which was not needed and passed during a time of economic expansion.  
As you noted, that leads a high risk of a depression, and a near guaranteed recession. Will you be blaming Biden for the recession as well if he implements your plans? And as you also mentioned, that only curbs the demand side, and not the intrinsic problem causing inflation now which is supply. I believe by far an underrated reason for inflation is China’s lockdown policy, and we would be best served to negotiate a way out of this continuous lockdown cycle which continuously scrambles supply lines. Russia/Ukraine also contribute ofc.

You wanted a stimulus check in March, when it was pretty clear vaccines were coming and they were effective. But ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say there was still uncertainty.

And I dont disagree with you on economic policies ideally changing as conditions change. But do you really think the GOP?! The same party that espouses the ideology that tax cuts will solve everything, is going to be the one to solve this? At best, a GOP majority with Biden means nothing gets passed, which does mean no increased spending bills…but also no chance of tax increases and very possibly a tax cut (GOP can and well may push for one and what will Biden do, say no to it before the 2024 election season?) The truth you don’t want to hear is that nobody wants to do what you want to do. The GOP will benefit with increased inflation throughout Biden’s term and thus have no desire to actually touch it, and Dems are stuck between a rock and a hard place in that spending cuts would be controversial politically and more importantly, would be a very temporary fix for a supply caused issue.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1312 on: October 14, 2022, 08:01:55 PM »

Uh yeah, Warnock talked like a normal person, made sense, spoke in complete sentences, and seemed like a very competent senator.

Walker was literally quite incoherent in every single exchange - from healthcare to insulin to college to clearly the police badge thing. He did pretty much as bad as I was expecting - he was a body there on stage that spoke but did not make sense 75% of the time.

There's no "expectations settings" games here. Warnock was good as was expected, and Walker was incoherent as expected. The badge thing just topped the entire thing off and made him look like a joke.

People may have wanted Warnock to go for a bigger "knockout blow" here but it's clear he was just trying to not do anything crazy to stir things up. He accomplished what he needed to. And Walker showing his fake police badge summed everything up you need to know about Walker.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1313 on: October 14, 2022, 08:02:36 PM »

And since when did Walker give a good plan on inflation? Seriously when in the debate?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1314 on: October 14, 2022, 08:03:24 PM »

Anyone who is trying to actually say "oh yes, he beat expectations. Soft Republicans definitely saw this and thought hey, he's not as bad as I thought" after him saying stuff like this is just lying to themselves and being delusional.

I am not quite surprised though. It seems every debate this cycle, we've had some type of "Dem is expected to be a 8-10 and they are, but GOP is expected to be a 2 and they're a 4, so they win!"

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1315 on: October 14, 2022, 08:09:09 PM »

This will literally be all that anyone remembers from this debate. So, bad for Walker.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1316 on: October 14, 2022, 08:09:41 PM »

Does someone have a clip or a transcript of one of Walker's best moments? Apparently all the clips or transcripts we have seen are unrepresentative or out of context (because they were cherry picked by the liberal media), and all his other answers were the ones that were coherent.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1317 on: October 14, 2022, 08:10:49 PM »

Does someone have a clip or a transcript of one of Walker's best moments? Apparently all the clips or transcripts we have seen are unrepresentative or out of context (because they were cherry picked by the liberal media), and all his other answers were the ones that were coherent.

or maybe - just maybe - most of his moments *were* incoherent.

roxas11
United States

« Reply #1318 on: October 14, 2022, 08:13:04 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2022, 08:16:55 PM by roxas11 »

I did not watch the debate but have seen some claim that walker may have done better than expected Yet when I got on twitter the first thing I see is a clip of him pulling out a prop badge and claiming to be a cop lol

It's hands down one the silliest things that I have ever seen at any debate and honesty walker better hope that moment does not get more traction in the media because I can easily see it overshadowing anything else he did in that debate..
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1319 on: October 14, 2022, 08:15:41 PM »

You almost have to wonder what were these bottom barrel expectations for Walker? I mean if you're threshold was him speaking words instead of sh*tting himself on stage, then yeah I guess he "beat expectations". Which is speaks more volumes about his candidacy than anything else.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1320 on: October 14, 2022, 08:18:29 PM »

I did not watch the debate but have seen some claim that walker may have done better than expected Yet when I got on twitter the first thing I see is a clip of him pulling out a prop batch and claiming to be a cop lol

It's hands down one the silliest things that I have ever seen at any debate and honesty walker better hope that moment does not get more traction in the media because I can easily see it overshadowing anything else he did in that debate..
The media loves a little controversy and spectacle. I'd be mildly surprised if this gets no traction.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1321 on: October 14, 2022, 08:20:23 PM »

It won't matter this race is Lean D anyways either Walker loses on Eday or the Runoff he needs to peel blk voters not white voters away from Warnock and this scandal isn't gonna help him with CCM leading it's already a 51D Senate WI, UT, OH, and NC are Tossups and if we have a clear majority McMullin will caucus with Ds not Rs because Schumer will give him a Chairmanship

I listen to what McMullin said on MSNBC he left wiggle room to be coerced into joining Ds and why would he want to be Ranking member anyways the Senate map is favorable to Ds in 24 and 26 we have FL as a Tossup in 24 if Gwen Graham runs and Collins is DOA in 26 because she Filibuster Voting Rights and Voting Rights wasn't on the ballot in 20
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1322 on: October 14, 2022, 08:20:47 PM »

You almost have to wonder what were these bottom barrel expectations for Walker? I mean if you're threshold was him speaking words instead of sh*tting himself on stage, then yeah I guess he "beat expectations". Which is speaks more volumes about his candidacy than anything else.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1323 on: October 14, 2022, 08:24:11 PM »

The media and low expectations for the GOP - name a better duo!

Also - just because Walker met your *extremely low bottom barrel expectations* does... not mean he won the debate overall! If someone is an 8, and someone who you thought would be a 1 is a 3.... you still take the 8! Why is this hard?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1324 on: October 14, 2022, 08:29:39 PM »

Anyone ever notice this "low expectations" thing really only happens with Republican candidates? The media never gives this much benefit of the doubt to a Democrat. Do you think the media would fall over themselves praising Fetterman, for example, if he showed up to a debate and waived around his fake sheriff's badge?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies