Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:09:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 916345 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9850 on: April 13, 2022, 06:56:44 PM »

More Americans think the United States is responsible (somehow) for Putin invading Ukraine than do Japan, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Brazil.  And South Africa.  So pretty much matching India.  

It's the Tucker Carlson effect.

An abomination.

Tucker would find a way to justify Russia invading Western Europe at this point.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9851 on: April 13, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2022, 07:45:48 PM by Storr »

I wanted to point out that the Moskva is (was?) the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet. Also the attack is incredibly based because Moskva was the ship the Snake Island defenders told to go f*** itself.  

Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #9852 on: April 13, 2022, 07:10:12 PM »

Based based based.
Logical

« Reply #9853 on: April 13, 2022, 07:35:05 PM »

I would give both of my kidneys for live drone footage of the Moskva sinking.
Splash
United States

« Reply #9854 on: April 13, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »

Logical

« Reply #9855 on: April 13, 2022, 07:55:30 PM »

More details from Russian sources.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9856 on: April 13, 2022, 08:01:22 PM »

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9857 on: April 13, 2022, 08:11:02 PM »

I always knew you'd turn into NOVAGreen one day, just not so soon.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9858 on: April 13, 2022, 08:12:28 PM »

The Russian announcement doesn't exclude the possibility it was a Ukrainian missile, just claims the ammunition detonated as a "result of a fire". No s*** Sherlock, ammunition doesn't just spontaneously combust. I wonder how that fire started? It's not like there's a war going on or anything.  

This is the whole thing translated by google: "The ammunition detonated as a result of a fire on the Moskva missile cruiser, the Russian Defense Ministry said. The crew was completely evacuated. The reasons for the incident are being established."

To give credit where it's due, Russian military performance over the last two months makes it at least plausible that the Russian warship did, in fact, just f*** itself via accidentally starting a fire that detonated ammunition onboard.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9859 on: April 13, 2022, 08:12:45 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2022, 08:16:51 PM by DINGO Joe »

Per internet memes it's status should be changed to "Promoted to Submarine"
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9860 on: April 13, 2022, 08:18:33 PM »

Well, they've chosen a design but I guess they aren't on sale yet.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9861 on: April 13, 2022, 08:24:00 PM »

More Americans think the United States is responsible (somehow) for Putin invading Ukraine than do Japan, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Brazil.  And South Africa.  So pretty much matching India. 

We're a very self-centered lot.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9862 on: April 13, 2022, 08:26:59 PM »

Can’t help but notice that on a day with no positive Russian news that Sir “I’m pro-Ukraine” Woodbury is absent 🧐
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9863 on: April 13, 2022, 08:34:59 PM »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9864 on: April 13, 2022, 08:45:34 PM »

I always knew you'd turn into NOVAGreen one day, just not so soon.

Hey now. That song slaps.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9865 on: April 13, 2022, 08:50:51 PM »

The Ukraine versions of Beavis and Butthead got themselves a Russian tank

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9866 on: April 13, 2022, 10:42:19 PM »

Here’s another meme to add to the collection:

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9867 on: April 13, 2022, 10:53:45 PM »

Well, they've chosen a design but I guess they aren't on sale yet.

Used to have a really solid Stamp Collection including a few extreme rare stamps from my Grandfather on my Father's side from way back in the early 1910's and possibly even as far back as the 1880's.

Unfortunately believe most if not all my stamp collection is gone.

Still more than happy to buy a premium vintage collectors edition once they come on-sale.

Arguably Ukraine might be able to get quite a bit of favorable T&Cs when it comes to rebuilding efforts after the war is finally over.

Nothing wrong with "Profit Centers" down the line in items such as export of popular culture (Movies, TV, and Music).

Throw in a huge pool of talent when it comes to Ukrainian CS Degrees, gaming sector industry, translation experts.

Sure, Ukraine Domestic Energy Supply.... Still a giant Ukrainian Nuke Plant Occupied by the Invaders.

Power still flowing to overwhelming majority of Ukraine...

Cell Phone towers still sending the signal to overwhelming majority of Ukraine...

Russian Cyber Attacks consistently defeated targeted against key Ukrainian Political, Economic, and Military Targets...

Plus... FREE UKRAINE survives, pirate radio stations available just across the border to spread the REAL NEWS to Belarus.

Still---- Ukraine could easily mint a ton of distinctive stamps as an effective "war bond" type scene... market and targeted for external audiences by Country and Global region.

Many parts of the world still rely on actual mail and not emails and slap a ton of stamps on your Ebay Box counts just the same as a small ribbon off of a USPS machine.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9868 on: April 13, 2022, 11:03:20 PM »

Malcolm is right that if Russia MOD is saying they evacuated people off the ship this sucker likely sunk
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9869 on: April 14, 2022, 12:09:38 AM »

If the Moskva does go under, it'll be the largest ship sank in combat since WWII.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9870 on: April 14, 2022, 12:25:22 AM »

So naturally when it comes to the Naval War following the Russian Invasion and Occupation of Russian-Ukrainian War 2.0 (?!?), waiting to see if one of my favorite Tweeters on the subject has any new updates.

Same dude who did some really great coverage of the destruction of of Orsk a bit back which I covered, but was essentially ignored by the vast majority of posters on this thread...

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44925/russian-navy-ship-that-exploded-in-ukrainian-port-seen-totally-destroyed-in-satellite-image

DUDE KNOWS HIS S**T (Free Link at my bottom tail Links)

The Russian Ministry of Defense says that the Project 1164 Slava class cruiser Moskva suffered serious enough damage to force the entire crew to evacuate after a fire broke out while it was sailing the Black Sea, causing munitions aboard to explode. This follows reports that the ship was on fire after being struck by Ukrainian Neptune shore-based anti-ship cruise missiles.

The exact current status of the Moskva, which is the flagship of the Russian Navy's Black Sea Fleet, is unclear. The Russian Ministry of Defense's statement, as relayed by Russian state media outlet RIA Novosti, does not say whether or not the ship had sunk, was sinking, or is otherwise in danger of doing so. How many Russian sailors were on board when the fire started is unclear, but a typical crew complement for a Slava class warship is around 510 people. There is also no apparent word yet on any fatalities or injuries.

There are separate, equally unconfirmed reports that one of Ukraine's Turkish-made armed TB2 drones might have been involved in the attack on Moskva, possibly to distract it from the incoming missiles. The drone could have been used to positively identify the ship, helping to avoid accidentally hitting commercial vessels in the Black Sea, and then get its corodinates to cue the missiles to the target area, as well. Interestingly, the Russian Ministry of Defense did recently release a video it says shows the Project 11356R Admiral Grigorovich class frigate Admiral Essen engaging a TB2 while sailing the Black Sea.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russias-black-sea-flagship-has-exploded-off-ukraine
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9871 on: April 14, 2022, 12:48:03 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2022, 12:52:17 AM by Storr »

Meanwhile back on land Ukrainian engineers blew up a Russian convoy from a unit that appears to have been recently redeployed from Tajikistan. It's another indication that the Russians are having to find reinforcements from all over.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9872 on: April 14, 2022, 01:03:45 AM »

Phillips waking up in Scotland...

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9873 on: April 14, 2022, 01:10:30 AM »

Still not the low point of the Russian Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGqp3R4Mx4

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #9874 on: April 14, 2022, 01:12:25 AM »

So naturally when it comes to the Naval War following the Russian Invasion and Occupation of Russian-Ukrainian War 2.0 (?!?), waiting to see if one of my favorite Tweeters on the subject has any new updates.

Same dude who did some really great coverage of the destruction of of Orsk a bit back which I covered, but was essentially ignored by the vast majority of posters on this thread...

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44925/russian-navy-ship-that-exploded-in-ukrainian-port-seen-totally-destroyed-in-satellite-image

DUDE KNOWS HIS S**T (Free Link at my bottom tail Links)

The Russian Ministry of Defense says that the Project 1164 Slava class cruiser Moskva suffered serious enough damage to force the entire crew to evacuate after a fire broke out while it was sailing the Black Sea, causing munitions aboard to explode. This follows reports that the ship was on fire after being struck by Ukrainian Neptune shore-based anti-ship cruise missiles.

The exact current status of the Moskva, which is the flagship of the Russian Navy's Black Sea Fleet, is unclear. The Russian Ministry of Defense's statement, as relayed by Russian state media outlet RIA Novosti, does not say whether or not the ship had sunk, was sinking, or is otherwise in danger of doing so. How many Russian sailors were on board when the fire started is unclear, but a typical crew complement for a Slava class warship is around 510 people. There is also no apparent word yet on any fatalities or injuries.

There are separate, equally unconfirmed reports that one of Ukraine's Turkish-made armed TB2 drones might have been involved in the attack on Moskva, possibly to distract it from the incoming missiles. The drone could have been used to positively identify the ship, helping to avoid accidentally hitting commercial vessels in the Black Sea, and then get its corodinates to cue the missiles to the target area, as well. Interestingly, the Russian Ministry of Defense did recently release a video it says shows the Project 11356R Admiral Grigorovich class frigate Admiral Essen engaging a TB2 while sailing the Black Sea.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russias-black-sea-flagship-has-exploded-off-ukraine

The fact that the ship was abandoned by its entire crew strongly implies that it was sunk, doesn’t it? Unless “crew” excludes the captain and whoever else he would need to steer the damaged ship to shore.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies