🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:23:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 115
Author Topic: 🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)  (Read 218906 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: September 26, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »

The last days swing back to the CDU seems like it was actually a thing. If my math isn't terribly wrong RRG is off the table, so either Jamaica or traffic light? unless we'll get a shocker grand coalition again
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1651 on: September 26, 2021, 11:22:22 AM »

Getting ahead of myself but I assume even if the CDU have 1 more seat than the SDP they’ll get the first stab at a coalition? And will on the balance be likely to get one?

This is a big enough repudiation for the CDU that I doubt other parties would want to prop them up again.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1652 on: September 26, 2021, 11:22:45 AM »

Four more years of having to stand in line to change my address, i guess 🤷‍♂️

What do you mean by that?
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1653 on: September 26, 2021, 11:22:49 AM »

The last days swing back to the CDU seems like it was actually a thing. If my math isn't terribly wrong RRG is off the table, so either Jamaica or traffic light? unless we'll get a shocker grand coalition again

R2G isn’t necessarily off the table if the ZDF poll is accurate.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1654 on: September 26, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »

They showed a bit of the projected voter movements on stream.

Greens gained voters from SPD despite the projected swings.
Linke lost almost 1 million votes to SPD/Greens.
A good chunk of the Union's former vote is now nonvoters.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1655 on: September 26, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »

Atlas posters watching the Battle of Austerlitz

Wow! Napoleon really messed up, he failed to capture Alexander I!!! Pathetic!

tfw Olaf Scholz is Napoelon in your metaphor Tongue

In all seriousness, in the grand scheme of things (and regardless of how the exact vote count shakes out, since it's likely to be a few points off), these are very bad results for both the SPD and CDU, and show that what's left of the old postwar party system is continuing its long decline.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1656 on: September 26, 2021, 11:24:17 AM »

What even is the point of the SPD anymore?

Couldn't you say the same thing about the Austrian SocDems, the PS in Span and France, the Dutch Labor party, Israeli Labor, British Labour, etc.? The weird globalist/pro worker/culturally libertine thing European SocDems are doing just doesn't do it for voters. It isn't where people are, ideologically. The Danish SocDems are in much better shape because they chewed off the xenophobia of the right and made it their own thing.  I don't love that l approach, but at some point the left has to start actually reaching out to voters and bringing them on board with genuinely progressive policy solutions. This dumb Starmery thing they're all doing is hopeless.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1657 on: September 26, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »

FDP's Kubicki indicates that FPD prefer Jamaica coalition.

They already had their chance.

What do you mean by that?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1658 on: September 26, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »

tfw Olaf Scholz is Napoelon in your metaphor

In all seriousness, in the grand scheme of things (and regardless of how the exact vote count shakes out, since it's likely to be a few points off), these are very bad results for both the SPD and CDU, and show that what's left of the old postwar party system is continuing its long decline.

I don't think this is a bad result for the SPD, given that they are poised to be the largest party, especially when early polls had them fading into irrelevance. Maybe it's a bad result compared to the 70s and 80s, but I'm not sure that really matters.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1659 on: September 26, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »

The CDU and the Greens were all primed and signed up for a 'Jamaica' coalition last time (though the CSU was leery), but the FDP bailed at the last minute.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1660 on: September 26, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »

Did any of the exit polls have any info on the FW vote.  Seems to be if CDU/CSU does fall behind SPD it was the FW that cost them from being the largest bloc.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1661 on: September 26, 2021, 11:26:56 AM »

In any event, Merkel probably won't be moving out for a few weeks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1662 on: September 26, 2021, 11:29:38 AM »

I don't think this is a bad result for the SPD, given that they are poised to be the largest party, especially when early polls had them fading into irrelevance. Maybe it's a bad result compared to the 70s and 80s, but I'm not sure that really matters.

"Barely 4 points over their worst result in all of history" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. We can play expectations game all we want with pre-election polls, but in the end, there are long-term trends at play, and a 4-point blip doesn't really change them.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1663 on: September 26, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »

They did well....

This is a disaster for the Union...

Yeah, but the coalition options kinda suck for the SPD: assuming no Jamaica, either they continue the grand coalition with themselves as its leaders this time & thus further enable the erasure of their inherent political identity or they try to form a traffic-light coalition without R2G as negotiating leverage. Neither seems all that likely to lead to future successes for them.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1664 on: September 26, 2021, 11:31:44 AM »

They did well....

This is a disaster for the Union...

Yeah, but the coalition options kinda suck for the SPD: assuming no Jamaica, either they continue the grand coalition with themselves as its leaders this time & thus further enable the erasure of their inherent political identity or they try to form a traffic-light coalition without R2G as negotiating leverage. Neither seems all that likely to lead to future successes for them.

Very speculative
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1665 on: September 26, 2021, 11:33:36 AM »

The ZDF poll's seat projections show R2G coming in at just 3 seats short of an absolute majority.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1666 on: September 26, 2021, 11:34:28 AM »

The ZDF poll's seat projections show R2G coming in at just 3 seats short of an absolute majority.

Very easy for the poll to be 3 seats off
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1667 on: September 26, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »

What does the basic law dictate here? who gets the first shot to present a government for a confidence motion in the Bundestag?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1668 on: September 26, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »

German elections get more and more Americanized: In Berlin-Wilmersdorf there are still tons of voters waiting in lines outside the polling stations after numerous voting ballots got mixed up between polling locations.
Ballots that were unwittingly cast wrongly are nevertheless declared null and void. 🤬
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1669 on: September 26, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »

Calling it! Exit polls is underestimating the SPD. Calling it! I have no information to determine this but I am calling it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1670 on: September 26, 2021, 11:37:06 AM »

Very easy for the poll to be 3 seats off

Of course, it could just as very easily wind up being 3 seats off in the other direction & putting R2G at least 6 seats short.
urutzizu
« Reply #1671 on: September 26, 2021, 11:37:25 AM »

Yes, but it is fairly hard to see R2G happening with a very narrow majority (under ca. 15 Seats). Especially because of the risk during the election for Chancellor (secret), and Linke MdB jumping off when voting on Parliamentary Mandates for foreign military operations.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1672 on: September 26, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »

"Barely 4 points over their worst result in all of history" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. We can play expectations game all we want with pre-election polls, but in the end, there are long-term trends at play, and a 4-point blip doesn't really change them.
I'm very skeptical of these long term trends, Greens could easily collapse in 2025, we'll see.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1673 on: September 26, 2021, 11:37:39 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2021, 11:45:01 AM by Oryxslayer »

What does the basic law dictate here? who gets the first shot to present a government for a confidence motion in the Bundestag?

Depends who finishes first, and for this purpose, CDU and CSU are considered as one. Practically it's anyone's game, realistically the first-place finisher gets the power.
Omega21

« Reply #1674 on: September 26, 2021, 11:38:00 AM »

Afaik, it's always been the #1 party
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 115  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies