COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:15:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 269333 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: April 28, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »

Trump wanted the US to start reopening at Easter. He was only 2 weeks off. A much better estimate than the 12 month long shutdown nonsense. Once again we see who the real fools are.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1101 on: April 28, 2020, 09:48:05 AM »

Don't know if this has already been shared, but:

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1102 on: April 28, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »

These results are all preliminary tests on small samples (<100 patients) but several studies are finding early signs of longer-lasting lung damage to severe COVID patients that's consistent with but likely more damaging than other SARS and MERS infections.

link (Science News)

Some patients who survive COVID-19 may suffer lasting lung damage

[...]

The tissue lesions can be a sign of chronic lung disease. Similar damage has been documented in survivors of SARS and MERS, respiratory diseases caused by coronaviruses similar to the SARS-CoV-2 virus behind COVID-19. Long-term studies of SARS patients have shown that roughly a third of people who recovered from severe bouts were left with permanent lung damage. In the case of MERS, one study found about a third of people who recovered from a serious infection still had signs of lung damage about seven months later.

But while initial lung images indicate that SARS and MARS typically set into just one lung, COVID-19 appears to be more likely to afflict both lungs right away. In 75 of the 90 patients admitted to Huazhong University Hospital with COVID-19 pneumonia from January 16 to February 17, damage was seen across both lungs, Wang and colleagues report. CT scans taken before hospital discharge revealed that 42 out of 70 patients displayed the type of lesions around the alveoli that are more likely to develop into scars.

[...]

Some lung damage seen in the Wuhan study cases are likely to gradually heal or disappear, Wang and colleagues suspect. However, in some patients, lung abnormalities will harden into layers of scar tissue known as pulmonary fibrosis. That scarring stiffens the lungs, making it hard to get enough oxygen. People with pulmonary fibrosis typically suffer shortness of breath, limiting their ability to be physically active.

[...]

Article suggests a lot of this is due to the cytokine storm. There's some other interesting stuff in here like about how ventilators use is associated with longer-term damage (causation seems hard to determine here).

Here's one of the studies quoted in the article. 60% of patients featured still featured lung scarring upon discharge and all but four patients had "mild to substantial" lung abnormalities upon discharge. It looks like the scarring improved for some patients over the course of infection, though, so there's still some potential for recovery after discharge. Mean age in the study was 45.

There's also the long-term effects of heavy ventilator use, again highlighting the problem with ventilators as a medical intervention in coronavirus cases. The reason for very low oxygen levels in coronavirus patients is primarily that the virus seems to attack the ability of the lungs to uptake oxygen. Ventilators don't do anything to increase the ability to uptake oxygen but rather improve breathing itself and push oxygen into the lungs. But coronavirus patients aren't failing to breathe (compared to other severe pneumonia cases, their lungs are quite plastic); they're failing to uptake the oxygen that is reaching their lungs. So the ventilators are only causing severe pressure on the lungs, and also pumping very high concentrations of oxygen, which are themselves corrosive, without addressing the underlying issue. So of course people who have had their lungs filled with excessively concentrated oxygen pumped in aggressively and to high pressures by a ventilator are going to have lung problems for the rest of their lives.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1103 on: April 28, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »

Outside enjoying the nice weather. Sorry, not sorry. #YOLO
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1104 on: April 28, 2020, 10:06:24 AM »

People still say "YOLO"?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1105 on: April 28, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »

There's nothing wrong with this, as long as you're taking precautions.

If you're in a protest parading about with your guns and flags, though, then you're a moron.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1106 on: April 28, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »

It was said ironically. And for its applicability here.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1107 on: April 28, 2020, 10:34:50 AM »

You mean the county in California?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1108 on: April 28, 2020, 10:41:46 AM »

Solid D in 2020, IMO. 
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1109 on: April 28, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »

No disagreement there.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1110 on: April 28, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »

If you're in a protest parading about with your guns and flags, though, then you're a moron.

What if he's 6 feet from other protesters? I mean if its safe to go into an indoor abortion clinic now surely its safe to stand on the sidewalk 6 feet away from everyone.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1111 on: April 28, 2020, 10:56:48 AM »

So question for the people who want the following:

Complete lock down and force everyone to stay in their homes and have all business closed until every last human and animal on the planet is vaccinated.

What exactly are your plans to deal with the inevitable problems that will come with doing that for two years?  

Which would include:

Mental issues. Suicides and depression will spike up.

Mass unemployment: Remember that infinite debt is a very bad idea.

Mass homelessness and starvation.

Untreated heart attacks, rise in obesity, etc.

It is scary that many people are willing to allow all that to happen for 2 years over this virus!

And now we are politically correct to the point in which we can not even criticize the practices of some upper class consumers in South China nor can we criticize the Chinese government.

I even saw someone suggest that we all wear biohazard suits going forward.

What is wrong with people?Huh
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1112 on: April 28, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »

What if he's 6 feet from other protesters? I mean if its safe to go into an indoor abortion clinic now surely its safe to stand on the sidewalk 6 feet away from everyone.

If he’s 6 feet away from other protesters then sure.  That’s not how many of them are protesting but if they abided by guidelines then sure.

Still doesn’t take away the moron accusation though.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1113 on: April 28, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »

Well, it is comforting to know that in the US, people won’t let government infringe on our freedoms.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1114 on: April 28, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »

If Obama or Hillary did this, Chapter 3497
They would trot Susan Rice out to the weekend talk shows and have her blame it on a Youtube video.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1115 on: April 28, 2020, 11:49:34 AM »

Morning, y'all!

Went to the doctor yesterday and have been given a clean bill of health! Also volunteered to have some blood drawn that Penn will use for antibody research.  

That's beyond awesome news, PQG! Cheesy

How's our other Atlas Covid-19 Patient, Libertarian Republican?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1116 on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:25 AM »

If Obama or Hillary did this, Chapter 3497
They would trot Susan Rice out to the weekend talk shows and have her blame it on a Youtube video.

I see you are using the good old Chewbacca defense.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1117 on: April 28, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »

File this under COVID-19-induced absurdity

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/gma-reporter-no-pants-will-reeve-work-home

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1118 on: April 28, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »

Are there some states that are requiring people to stay indoors? Wisconsin has been very adamant that people should go for walks and get outside daily. Not only is the governor regularly posting on social media about this, but so are various public health organizations around the state, and the Dane County Park service has been hugely encouraging people to visit. While some state parks were closed because of overcrowding at the beginning of the safer at home stuff, they are reopening again soon.

I haven't been out as much over the last few days because it's been raining, but it's a beautiful spring here and everyone should be out enjoying the outdoors (while socially distancing).

I dislike how people exaggerate the terms of how governments are responding to this crisis. It's obviously not life as usual, but neither are we literal prisoners in our own homes, either.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1119 on: April 28, 2020, 12:20:49 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2020, 12:25:01 PM by Calthrina950 »

File this under COVID-19-induced absurdity

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/gma-reporter-no-pants-will-reeve-work-home

This is the late Christopher Reeve's son. He's been an ABC News reporter for at least the past few years. However, this isn't the first time that I've seen something like this happening. One of the Five co-hosts on Fox News, Jesse Watters, has been anchoring from home, and was also photographed wearing a suit but not pants. You can't really bash people for not wanting to fully dress up if they aren't going into the studio; everyone makes mistakes.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1120 on: April 28, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »

This is the late Christopher Reeve's son. He's been an ABC reporter for at least the past few years. However, this isn't the first time that I've seen something like this happening. One of the Five co-hosts on Fox News, Jesse Waters, has been anchoring from home, and was also photographed wearing a suit but not pants. You can't really bash people for not wanting to fully dress up if they aren't going into the studio; everyone makes mistakes.

lolol it's funny. You don't have to be serious all the time...

But if you want a super serious take, then there really isn't an excuse. If you're going on national TV, the least you could do is wear some sort of pants. Who would base this decision on the idea that they "know" the camera will only capture just above their waist? How lazy are these people? Why would you even risk it? I wouldn't even consider the idea. God forbid I think I can get away with it, only to become the butt of a joke across the internet and late night talk shows.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1121 on: April 28, 2020, 12:35:16 PM »

Poll: Cost makes nearly 1 in 10 leery of seeking COVID care
As states gear up to reopen, a poll finds a potential obstacle to controlling the coronavirus: nearly 1 in 10 adults say cost would keep them from seeking help if they thought they were infected.

The Gallup-West Health Healthcare Costs Survey out Tuesday finds that 9% of those age 18 and over would avoid seeking treatment because of concerns about the cost of care, even if they thought they were infected with the coronavirus.

A significantly higher number, 14%, would avoid seeking treatment because of pocketbook worries if they had fever and a dry cough, two widely publicized symptoms of COVID-19.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1122 on: April 28, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »

Are there some states that are requiring people to stay indoors? Wisconsin has been very adamant that people should go for walks and get outside daily. Not only is the governor regularly posting on social media about this, but so are various public health organizations around the state, and the Dane County Park service has been hugely encouraging people to visit. While some state parks were closed because of overcrowding at the beginning of the safer at home stuff, they are reopening again soon.

I haven't been out as much over the last few days because it's been raining, but it's a beautiful spring here and everyone should be out enjoying the outdoors (while socially distancing).

I dislike how people exaggerate the terms of how governments are responding to this crisis. It's obviously not life as usual, but neither are we literal prisoners in our own homes, either.

Any reports you get of people being arrested or ticketed for leaving their home are just overzealous police officers looking to play big man or make quota. What you said is basically what's happening around the country, although hot spots are being much more cautious with urging people to minimize their time outside.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1123 on: April 28, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »

This is the late Christopher Reeve's son. He's been an ABC reporter for at least the past few years. However, this isn't the first time that I've seen something like this happening. One of the Five co-hosts on Fox News, Jesse Waters, has been anchoring from home, and was also photographed wearing a suit but not pants. You can't really bash people for not wanting to fully dress up if they aren't going into the studio; everyone makes mistakes.

But if you want a super serious take, then there really isn't an excuse. If you're going on national TV, the least you could do is wear some sort of pants. Who would base this decision on the idea that they "know" the camera will only capture just above their waist? How lazy are these people? Why would you even risk it? I wouldn't even consider the idea. God forbid I think I can get away with it, only to become the butt of a joke across the internet and late night talk shows.

I have an online court hearing in less than half an hour. I'm currently wearing my Pittsburgh Penguins pajama pants and a pens sweatshirt, plus flip-flops. I haven't gotten around to putting socks on yet. However, I'm going to head upstairs in a minute and get changed into a shirt and tie, and yes even dress pants. Even if I only wind up wearing them for less than an hour for this relatively short hearing.

My point is, this is what folks like Reeve get paid the big bucks for. If you're going to appear on national TV, at least put some pants on. Take them off after your segment, but just make that half-assed effort at least.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1124 on: April 28, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »

I have an online court hearing in less than half an hour. I'm currently wearing my Pittsburgh Penguins pajama pants and a pens sweatshirt, plus flip-flops. I haven't gotten around to putting socks on yet. However, I'm going to head upstairs in a minute and get changed into a shirt and tie, and yes even dress pants. Even if I only wind up wearing them for less than an hour for this relatively short hearing.

My point is, this is what folks like Reeve get paid the big bucks for. If you're going to appear on national TV, at least put some pants on. Take them off after your segment, but just make that half-assed effort at least.

If I'm meeting a professor or PSOM staff on Zoom, I'll throw on a nice dress and maybe some pearl earrings with a necklace.  

Otherwise, I'm fine with looking like a potato.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies