2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64113 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 01, 2020, 02:26:23 AM »

Sad group tries to bother innocent bystanders in order to bait and shoot, don't call them peaceful they literally say burn it down.
They just were salty they couldn't loot that store.

That's the bakery I just spoke of in Cleveland.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #551 on: June 01, 2020, 02:38:33 AM »

Lfromnj, following your posts here and it's cultivated narrative really gives me an insight as to how things like that happen on twitter.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #552 on: June 01, 2020, 02:59:50 AM »

Stealing this insight, with his permission, from Antonio (with whom I've been discussing events extensively off-forum; he's focusing mostly on the R&P and History boards these days and if I weren't a glutton for punishment I would be doing that too). It feels really good to not be on the "authoritarian" side any more after the arguments over the lockdowns. Now that people are actually baying for them hoodlums' blood and cheering on police for running down protestors with their cars, it's nice to be able to focus one's hate in that direction again.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #553 on: June 01, 2020, 04:23:41 AM »

There was a peaceful protest here in Downtown Athens that drew a huuuuge crowd. I didn’t attend because I’m still avoiding large gatherings, but it was heartening to see.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #554 on: June 01, 2020, 04:26:36 AM »

Always a tweet.

I feel like this was written by someone else.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #555 on: June 01, 2020, 04:26:53 AM »

What's the perception/view on how Trump has handled it?

I can't say that hiding in the Bunker & rage tweeting at officals is exactly the best strategy.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #556 on: June 01, 2020, 04:30:57 AM »

"Americans watching this address tonight have seen the recent images of violence in our streets and the chaos in our communities. Many have witnessed this violence personally, some have even been its victims. I have a message for all of you: the crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon – and I mean very soon – come to an end."

- Donald J. Trump, at the Republican National Convention, July 2016

I guess he just hadn't the time yet to make America great again.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #557 on: June 01, 2020, 05:40:20 AM »

At the moment it seems that the narrative is quite 'anti-cop' outside the usual MAGA and MAGA adjacent bubble which has really surprised me. I think this is due to the targeting of the press. Mainstream and local media seem less willing to 'mitigate to death' the protests. Those who do, seem to be subject to people commenting/linking to instances of the media being attacked.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #558 on: June 01, 2020, 05:46:47 AM »

At the moment it seems that the narrative is quite 'anti-cop' outside the usual MAGA and MAGA adjacent bubble which has really surprised me. I think this is due to the targeting of the press. Mainstream and local media seem less willing to 'mitigate to death' the protests. Those who do, seem to be subject to people commenting/linking to instances of the media being attacked.
This incident seems to have strucken a stronger chord than usual. Hopefully the overwhelming anti-police sentiment forces actual change and will be a turning point in police violence against the black community, both in America and the West at large.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #559 on: June 01, 2020, 05:48:16 AM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #560 on: June 01, 2020, 05:54:20 AM »

Stealing this insight, with his permission, from Antonio (with whom I've been discussing events extensively off-forum; he's focusing mostly on the R&P and History boards these days and if I weren't a glutton for punishment I would be doing that too). It feels really good to not be on the "authoritarian" side any more after the arguments over the lockdowns. Now that people are actually baying for them hoodlums' blood and cheering on police for running down protestors with their cars, it's nice to be able to focus one's hate in that direction again.

The fact you felt, even for a second, that lockdowns for public health could be considered 'authoritarian' (and you by extension) by those who choose to define it shows how warped the discourse is.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #561 on: June 01, 2020, 06:32:31 AM »

Some Atlas posters won't like that.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #562 on: June 01, 2020, 07:34:12 AM »

Dude who burned down the court house in Nashville was an extreme right winger:

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #563 on: June 01, 2020, 07:38:45 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 08:02:52 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Great - hang the trailer trash high next to every other person involved (like Brian Bartles, the instigator in Pittsburgh). Surely we can all agree on that.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #564 on: June 01, 2020, 07:45:37 AM »

So messed up and evil.

The attack captured close by another camera. How can people be so heartless and cruel! Beating an old lady with a stick in such vicious way. Shame on them.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #565 on: June 01, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #566 on: June 01, 2020, 07:54:31 AM »

I've tried to keep politics out of this, but I ran across a tweet proclaiming how "People are looting and rioting in Democrat-run states.  They aren't looting and rioting in Republican-run states like Montana and Wyoming" (followed by something to the effect of "hmmm....makes you think").  

Now! TE, can we figure out why there might be an issue with that assessment?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #567 on: June 01, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #568 on: June 01, 2020, 08:04:07 AM »

This man has no soul.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #569 on: June 01, 2020, 08:19:18 AM »

Robert E. Lee statue and Daughters of Confederacy building attacked by Richmond protesters
The statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, which towers over Monument Avenue in Richmond, was covered with graffiti, including the phrases “No More White Supremacy,” “Blood On Your Hands” and “Black Lives Matter.” The Stonewall Jackson, JEB Stuart and Jefferson Davis memorials were also defaced. A noose hung from the statue of Davis, who was the president of the Confederacy and an ardent defender of slavery.

The United Daughters of the Confederacy headquarters was set on fire early Sunday morning. The blaze was extinguished by Richmond firefighters.

It's hard to muster sympathy for the destruction of places that exist to celebrate the (thankfully failed) rebellion of treasonous slavers.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #570 on: June 01, 2020, 08:21:21 AM »

It just shows that his babysitters were right when they decided it would be better to keep him hiding quietly in the basement than let him pretend to be President on TV.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #571 on: June 01, 2020, 08:21:36 AM »

Thank you Karen, very cool!

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #572 on: June 01, 2020, 08:23:33 AM »

I live in West Philly. Last night was scary; I went to bed hearing explosions, sirens, police copters. I talked to some older African-American folks at my local grocery store (which looters tried and failed to break into) this morning, and the sadness in their voices was painful. They all lamented the fact that looters tore up most of the neighborhood and destroyed local businesses. These areas already lack access to healthy, affordable food, and now stores like Aldi have been ransacked.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #573 on: June 01, 2020, 08:37:58 AM »

Osama bin Ladin had some very valid grievances against the United States. Did that justify all of his death and destruction? Of course not.

Put the pieces together. You’re all smart.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #574 on: June 01, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »

I don't understand why so many people are brazenly lying and claiming that these riots are being instigated by "white supremacists." There is zero evidence for this. Perhaps some members of antifa are white supremacist, but the organization itself doesn't seem to be. There are of course other groups that are instigating these attacks, but none of them have been identified as white supremacist orgs yet.
Even if there are a few out there causing trouble, which is likely, it's clear that 99% of the rioters are left-wing anarchists or common criminals.

Put the pieces together. You’re all smart.

Are you kidding? No they aren't.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies