2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:34:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64956 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2020, 09:05:54 AM »

Watching local news here in Los Angeles earlier.
The looters were swarming a specific high-end shoe (sneakers) store. It went on for an hour or so.
People were driving-up to the store and people would get out to steal merchandise.
There were some very big/heavy-weight looters that just stood outside, and as weaker looters ran by carrying 4 or 5 boxes of shoes, the big looters would trip them or shove them to the ground. The big looters would then take their stolen merchandise and throw it in the back seat of their nearby car.
After that, they would wait until the next idiot came by and did it again. They kept doing this over and over again; rinse and repeat.
I just couldn't stop thinking how this is a total disgrace to the cause of protesting against what happened to George Floyd.
This is what anarchy looks like. Protests need to stay protests, and IF they turn into riots, you need to target those who wronged you (in this case, the Minneapolis police). When things devolve into anarchy, all goals and endgames of the protest disappear. Anarchy swallows any and all ideology, value or ideal and replaces it with anarchy.
This is chaos, not Anarchy, but I digress.

Anyway, this is revving up to be our version of the Yellow Vest movement. I was wondering when this would actually happen, but I thought it was a year or two ahead.

Not even a little bit, dude. These people are terrorists and lowlifes not fighting for labor.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »

The looters were swarming a specific high-end shoe (sneakers) store. It went on for an hour or so.
People were driving-up to the store and people would get out to steal merchandise.
There were some very big/heavy-weight looters that just stood outside, and as weaker looters ran by carrying 4 or 5 boxes of shoes, the big looters would trip them or shove them to the ground. The big looters would then take their stolen merchandise and throw it in the back seat of their nearby car.
After that, they would wait until the next idiot came by and did it again. They kept doing this over and over again; rinse and repeat.
I just couldn't stop thinking how this is a total disgrace to the cause of protesting against what happened to George Floyd.
This is what anarchy looks like. Protests need to stay protests, and IF they turn into riots, you need to target those who wronged you (in this case, the Minneapolis police). When things devolve into anarchy, all goals and endgames of the protest disappear. Anarchy swallows any and all ideology, value or ideal and replaces it with anarchy.

Anyway, this is revving up to be our version of the Yellow Vest movement. I was wondering when this would actually happen, but I thought it was a year or two ahead.

Not even a little bit, dude. These people are terrorists and lowlifes not fighting for labor.
The same was said of the Yellow Vest movement, and as it was then, it is wrong now.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2020, 09:22:02 AM »

you know, I don't understand why some of these ppl r targeting private property.

I get targeting government stuff. Honestly the gov deserves it both for the racial injustice and for forcing quarantine (and therefore recession, which they knew would harm economically at risk groups like minorities and the young disproportionately) upon us. The gov clearly does not serve the ppl. So idgaf about gov stuff getting burned.

But wtf did some random dude who owns a restaurant or bar ever do to u, u know what I mean?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »

I mean, is that really in doubt? I suspect that a clear majority of Americans would be there, and probably 80% or more on the Left.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »

The same was said of the Yellow Vest movement, and as it was then, it is wrong now.

Well, I think it's pretty clear that American exceptionalism has zero reliance on any of the people involved, and the country is quite comfortable going forward without them. They are useless moochers who only have negative contributions to make. Totally different base of support from France.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2020, 09:29:05 AM »

Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »

So messed up and evil.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #358 on: May 31, 2020, 09:39:07 AM »

Well, I think it's pretty clear that American exceptionalism has zero reliance on any of the people involved, and the country is quite comfortable going forward without them. They are useless moochers who only have negative contributions to make. Totally different base of support from France.
Well that’s, erm, the biggest probable dog whistle made in this thread to date

On this argument, you are wrong, as the Yellow Vest movement was a diverse group of mainly exurban  Banlieue folks fighting for their rights to live without structural barriers from the state. A lot of Maghrebi and West Asian folks made up the composition of the protests along with the majority French population, and even then there were many mistreated descendants of domestic migrants and Portuguese French people.

Police brutality and the government f•••ing us all over affects, well, all of us. It’s not the fault of the fed up protesters that there is this mass movement, but of the government not fixing its s••• before to handle pressure from a pandemic it handled like s••• as well.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #359 on: May 31, 2020, 09:44:08 AM »

Well that’s, erm, the biggest probable dog whistle made in this thread to date

On this argument, you are wrong, as the Yellow Vest movement was a diverse group of mainly exurban  Banlieue folks fighting for their rights to live without structural barriers from the state. A lot of Maghrebi and West Asian folks made up the composition of the protests along with the majority French population, and even then there were many mistreated descendants of domestic migrants and Portuguese French people.

Police brutality and the government f•••ing us all over affects, well, all of us. It’s not the fault of the fed up protesters that there is this mass movement, but of the government not fixing its s••• before to handle pressure from a pandemic it handled like s••• as well.

Seriously? I thought this was all the fault of white anarchists? That's all I keep reading? You know, the people with no jobs and only a desire for destruction. Nothing about that resembles a dog whistle. You make outrageous accusations so you can support violence. I dont care what race is doing the rioting, but it's clearly majority white.

The fact that you think I was comparing them on the race of the participants tells me all I need to know. Guess what all those ethnic groups involved in France have in common? They are actually workers as opposed to the lifelong anarchists involved here who want to tear society down.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #360 on: May 31, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 09:57:51 AM by lfromnj »

At this point, I'm not even angry any more. I'm just really, really sad. I saw a video of a white man beaten to death in Texas by a mob. I saw a little black girl writhing and screaming because she was pepper sprayed. I can't even look at Twitter.

This is history. This is something that we will be talking about in fifty years.

EDIT: Just saw the man in Texas is *not* dead. That is good to know. I already watched one man die on video this week, and I'd rather not see that again.

That guy was chasing around black people with machette. That doesn't mean it's justified but its not that they're attacking random white people.

Nope they attacked him first. I wish he had an ar15 with a 20 round magazine. This would have been a much better outcome. It's also been confirmed the looters were attacking a store.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #361 on: May 31, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »

who even gives a sh**t what race any of the people doing looting or whatever are.

like, bad ppl r bad ppl and good ppl r good ppl. idc what color u r.

the way i see it

peaceful protesters = good, because what happened was f'ed up
rioters who r destroying gov stuff = good bcuz the gov is responsible for all the bad stuff that has happened
rioters who r destroying random ppl's private property = bad because wtf did they ever do to u.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »

So messed up and evil.
LOCK THEM UP!
(the rioters here I mean)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #363 on: May 31, 2020, 10:08:26 AM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »

Protesters should absolutely abstain from the destruction of others personal property or businesses (especially small/local businesses). Any violation of that is unjustifiable (except in extraordinary circumstances). And nobody should be encouraging or justifying the destruction of such property.

With that said, the law enforcement authorities are the primary antagonists here and the protesters are justified in continuing their public demonstrations, even violent confrontations with law enforcement. There are numerous examples of infiltration, antagonizing, and assault upon these protests by police unnecessarily antagonizing or assaulting protesters, questionable events that may be attributable to frame protesters, there are white supremacists infiltrating to influence their desired accelerated racial civil war, and, of course, left wing nihilistic thugs and LARPing “revolutionaries.”

But, I hope the protesters are conscious of the fact that, while police departments are abusive, racist, and murderous, they are merely servants of higher powers that could have made the necessary reforms long ago. They could even end these protests by beginning to make the necessary radical reforms to right these injustices, but instead those authorities have decided to lie about the protesters to dismiss the concerns within their communities and to call upon the militarized riot policing of these protests and the National Guard. They have chosen to call in even larger arms and employ even more brutal force - including the Democratic Mayors and Governors aligning with Trump, all of them choosing to use their police departments to crack down on protesters with militarized riot control methods and weaponry, before even creating review boards for their police departments. They are enabling Trump to weaponize this situation to crackdown on disorder before suspending any police officer who has a history of alleged excessive use of force or other abuses being protested. So, Democratic authorities don’t deserve much, if any, praise for their responses so far.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »

This one hit especially close to home. Dear god.
I turned my head away briefly, I couldn't bear myself acting otherwise.
The overzealous, power-hungry, power-trip cops are out on the rampage.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2020, 10:16:16 AM »

It's like the police and rioters are in a pissing match to see who can be more senselessly violent.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »

At this point, I'm not even angry any more. I'm just really, really sad. I saw a video of a white man beaten to death in Texas by a mob. I saw a little black girl writhing and screaming because she was pepper sprayed. I can't even look at Twitter.

This is history. This is something that we will be talking about in fifty years.

EDIT: Just saw the man in Texas is *not* dead. That is good to know. I already watched one man die on video this week, and I'd rather not see that again.

That guy was chasing around black people with machette. That doesn't mean it's justified but its not that they're attacking random white people.

He had a right to defend his property, regardless. It doesn't have to be random to be unjustifiable.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #368 on: May 31, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »

It's like the police and rioters are in a pissing match to see who can be more senselessly violent.

This is how an already bad situation can spiral dangerously out of control, too.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #369 on: May 31, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »

This is how an already bad situation can spiral dangerously out of control, too.
And it is not as though elements of the cops and elements of the anti-cop groups in this country are not in simpatico either in some select facets.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #370 on: May 31, 2020, 10:23:07 AM »

Awful. Doesn't anyone get the sense that, with impeachment, coronavirus, and these riots, that 2020 seems like a redux of 1968? That year, we had Vietnam, assassinations, and race riots/anti-war protests.
And the Hong Kong Flu.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2020, 10:33:47 AM »

Awful. Doesn't anyone get the sense that, with impeachment, coronavirus, and these riots, that 2020 seems like a redux of 1968? That year, we had Vietnam, assassinations, and race riots/anti-war protests.
And the Hong Kong Flu.

You're definitely not alone.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #372 on: May 31, 2020, 10:35:11 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yve9DhT8Nt4

It almost reminds me of the Boston Massacre.
The protestors are throwing rocks/acting violent first, but the police will be labeled as the bad guys in the end.

Of course, the police aren’t doing themselves any favors by giving Twitter fodder to use against them (through their own reckless behavior as pointed out by others on this thread)
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #373 on: May 31, 2020, 10:37:31 AM »

At this point I'm beginning to be of the opinion that no police presence would have been better. there's so many instances of unprovoked violence that's just making this worse.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #374 on: May 31, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »

The logistics of these protests and demonstrations are just so embarrassing. Every protest, every demonstration and every riot needs to be held at or in close proximity to a police station. Right now, all of these randomized demonstration locations mean that whenever cops pop their power-boners or the event breaks down into riots, the damage is always done in areas that don't send a message, leading to plenty of collateral residential and commercial damage.

The cops are invariably going to show up and start beating the s[inks]t out of people regardless of how the event occurs or where, so it only makes sense to push them back to their home turf - and with enough people at various locales, minimizes the chances of police being able to gang up on individual sites. It also ensures that there's no collateral damage of innocent residences and businesses.

This way, when the cops decide to start attacking people and acting like animals, it's only going to be the cops who are getting hurt/killed and only police stations getting torched (i.e. the only parties deserving of such).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies