Does the Jesus Christ Party have an effective monopoly over Atlasian politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:53:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Does the Jesus Christ Party have an effective monopoly over Atlasian politics?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Poll
Question: See above.
Yea

Nay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Does the Jesus Christ Party have an effective monopoly over Atlasian politics?  (Read 20433 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 02:01:45 AM »

I'm not sure if so many parties can coexist.

I certainly think they could. The total vote threshold to win an election would be lowered, but at the same time you'd have something more representative, which I'd consider to be more truly democratic.

And more competitive. Elections are the heart and soul of this game; they must be competitive.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 02:02:01 AM »

True, true. But they are not similar in size.

I'm not sure if so many parties can coexist.

I certainly think they could. The total vote threshold to win an election would be lowered, but at the same time you'd have something more representative, which I'd consider to be more truly democratic.

I think we'd be subject to parties cannibalizing each other.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 02:02:46 AM »

The JCP is the only party that is large. The other four are relatively equal.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 02:04:48 AM »

The RPP is rather larger than the other three, I believe.

At any rate, things must be changed in February.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 02:04:57 AM »

Which is all part of the democratic practice - it would actually force politicians to be more flexible, to court the bases of the other Parties, hence implicitly forcing them to take a less ideological stance. Which may be bad for you if you're presently the majority Party, but fine for you when you aren't.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 02:05:41 AM »

Atlasia is in serious need of partisan restructuring. Can we all agree?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 02:07:17 AM »

Which is all part of the democratic practice - it would actually force politicians to be more flexible, to court the bases of the other Parties, hence implicitly forcing them to take a less ideological stance. Which may be bad for you if you're presently the majority Party, but fine for you when you aren't.

Yes, but the process would, I fear, lead eventually to a dominant-party system. It appears to be the norm in Atlasia.

Absolutely. But such things take time.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 02:08:07 AM »

If we collectively decided to follow my plan, we could re-establish a balanced party system before February.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 02:08:18 AM »

Yes.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 02:08:43 AM »

If we collectively decided to follow my plan, we could re-establish a balanced party system before February.

What plan?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 02:08:51 AM »

Yes, but the process would, I fear, lead eventually to a dominant-party system. It appears to be the norm in Atlasia.

Sure, probably it would. But such periods would probably be shorter than they are presently (seriously, thirteen months, when the length of the average Presidential term is three?). Moreover, it'd probably make the game more interesting, at any rate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 02:09:47 AM »

What people often forget is that the SDP joined the JCP for a damn good reason. The party structure at that time was grossly unfair and weighted against left-wingers. When I won my election to the Senate in June, there were no Social Democrats in the Senate. The RPP at one point controlled five Seats, didn't they? It was an unfair system that ultimately led to what we have now.

The problem is not the parties, the problem is the people on the right not getting their sh** together.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 02:09:58 AM »

What plan?

To create a four party system.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2009, 02:11:35 AM »

What people often forget is that the SDP joined the JCP for a damn good reason. The party structure at that time was grossly unfair and weighted against left-wingers. When I won my election to the Senate in June, there were no Social Democrats in the Senate. The RPP at one point controlled five Seats, didn't they? It was an unfair system that ultimately led to what we have now.

The problem is not the parties, the problem is the people on the right not getting their sh** together.

Ideally we would have four parties, representing the four quadrants of the political axis: center-right, center-left, center-horizontal, center-vertical (in real life I'd prefer these latter two to the former if we were to retain a two-party structure). And each would be forced to build temporary coalitions with the others, thus minimizing the risk of the scenario that used to exist here.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2009, 02:12:01 AM »

The RPP won in a "fluke." And Smid's victory was due to turnout issues.

I agree that the right is a mess, but so is the center, and likewise the left. We all should, for the sake of the damn game, brush alongside old personal beefs and grudges. That is something I'd be willing to do. For instance, earlier today, benconstine and I resolved our personal problems with each other. All Atlasians should follow this step.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 02:13:08 AM »

Ideally we would have four parties, representing the four quadrants of the political axis: center-right, center-left, center-horizontal, center-vertical (in real life I'd prefer these latter two to the former if we were to retain a two-party structure). And each would be forced to build temporary coalitions with the others, thus minimizing the risk of the scenario that used to exist here.

Einzige, Atlasia is so heavily tilted toward the left on social issues that social conservatism will never truly prevail. The real divide is merely between social liberalism and social libertarianism, two inherently different ideological perspectives.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2009, 02:14:27 AM »

Einzige, Atlasia is so heavily tilted toward the left on social issues that social conservatism will never truly prevail. The real divide is merely between social liberalism and social libertarianism, two inherently different ideological perspectives.

Largely because of the fact of the JCP's dominance, I think. There is a sizable minority of populist/New Dealer JCPers who would probably bolt to a hypothetical populist Party, thus giving social conservatism a stronger voice - something I'm more than open to, given the current situation.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2009, 02:15:49 AM »

Largely because of the fact of the JCP's dominance, I think. There is a sizable minority of populist/New Dealer JCPers who would probably bolt to a hypothetical populist Party, thus giving social conservatism a stronger voice - something I'm more than open to, given the current situation.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. But many on the right are libertarians or at least moderate on social issues.

I do think that a party similar to that is badly needed. In fact, I think if we had the four parties I prescribed earlier in the thread, we would have much more fun in this game.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2009, 02:16:59 AM »

Bah, I don't know why I'm bothering. These threads inevitably become some sort of Einzige-Hamilton echo chamber where Hamilton goes on trying to remodel his image for the umpteenth time. This is just another incarnation of the right-wing pity-party that pops up from time to time whining and whining in the hopes that you'll get pity votes.

I'm sick and tired of it. The current system is fine, it's the people in it that can't get things together. How many times have people jumped from the RPP to the DA then back to the RPP, then creating another party, then ditching it... You people will do just fine when you can stop acting like fools and stay put.

Blaming the current party structure, which is far more fair compared to the previous party structure, is a complete cop-out when you all have no one to blame but yourselves.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »

The JCP only wins because of the personalities associated with the other parties.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:05 AM »

Marokai, why did you not vote for bgwah/Meeker?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2009, 02:19:02 AM »

Bah, I don't know why I'm bothering. These threads inevitably become some sort of Einzige-Hamilton echo chamber where Hamilton goes on trying to remodel his image for the umpteenth time.

As opposed to what - the JCP echo chamber that is presently Atlas Fantasy Elections?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure that's what the RPPers said when you joined and they had five Senate seats.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2009, 02:21:24 AM »

Sure, probably it would. But such periods would probably be shorter than they are presently (seriously, thirteen months, when the length of the average Presidential term is three?). Moreover, it'd probably make the game more interesting, at any rate.

Hopefully, that would be the case.

At any rate, it is clear that the catalyst must be the defeat of the JCP in February. All other forces must unite.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2009, 02:22:29 AM »

The RPP thinks they are entitled to the top of a ticket, though. Until the RPP accepts their place, the JCP will dominate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2009, 02:22:40 AM »

Marokai, why did you not vote for bgwah/Meeker?

Because I didn't believe Bgwah was doing much as President and Xahar had brainwashed me into thinking of the JCP as our rivals, when we really had alot in common.

It wasn't until later that I realized alot of the SDP was founded or comprised of at one point or another, people who have silly age-old "he took my lunch money" problems with the JCP they can't get over.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure that's what the RPPers said when you joined and they had five Senate seats.

Newsflash: That was precisely the problem. The left was needlessly split. The SDP joined the JCP, and we moved forward in a unified fashion. It was because of silly rivalries and antsy-pants people jumping around all the time that the left-wing couldn't form a powerful voting bloc.

Same situation here, except on the right. You need to settle down, regroup, and work out your silly issues and image problems.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies