Does the Jesus Christ Party have an effective monopoly over Atlasian politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 12:14:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Does the Jesus Christ Party have an effective monopoly over Atlasian politics?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Poll
Question: See above.
Yea

Nay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Does the Jesus Christ Party have an effective monopoly over Atlasian politics?  (Read 20473 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »

Weird thread. Anyway, to answer the question... no. It is merely the best-organised and least-toxic of the two (three?) machine parties.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

Oh, and there is no chance of the party structure being overthrown and redesigned on more 'rational', ideological lines. None. Parties here develop (and die) organically and are created, dissolved and merged in much the same way as parties in real life. Fantasy power is one of the main factors, of course. Personal disputes another.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

Oh, and there is no chance of the party structure being overthrown and redesigned on more 'rational', ideological lines. None. Parties here develop (and die) organically and are created, dissolved and merged in much the same way as parties in real life. Fantasy power is one of the main factors, of course. Personal disputes another.

Which is why we intend to engage in organic discussion regarding the formation of a new coalition aimed at uniting ideologically similar people.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »

It was competitive for a while, owing to the divisions in the left. I suppose you could say that the December scandal followed by Xahar's temporary banning led to the slow bleeding of the RPP at the hands of a united left-wing, accelerated by the disappearance of libertarians from public office. I suppose you could blame it on any number of things, but the past is in the past.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »

It was competitive for a while, owing to the divisions in the left. I suppose you could say that the December scandal followed by Xahar's temporary banning led to the slow bleeding of the RPP at the hands of a united left-wing, accelerated by the disappearance of libertarians from public office. I suppose you could blame it on any number of things, but the past is in the past.

Blame it on the RPP's idiotic support of the bgwah/Meeker ticket in February. Admit it. That was your guys' first mistake. Since then, you've got nothing right.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »

Blame it on the RPP's idiotic support of the bgwah/Meeker ticket in February. Admit it. That was your guys' first mistake. Since then, you've got nothing right.

Well I suspect that current state of affairs was essentially assured by that point. Once the left-wing united, there was no other result likely, if at all possible, in the long-term.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »

Well I suspect that current state of affairs was essentially assured by that point. Once the left-wing united, there was no other result likely, if at all possible, in the long-term.

The left-wing did not unite until after April.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »

It had remained separated because of personal tensions between bgwah & Xahar. Once Xahar disappeared, I suspect the unification of the left-wing was likely only a matter of time.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »

It had remained separated because of personal tensions between bgwah & Xahar. Once Xahar disappeared, I suspect the unification of the left-wing was likely only a matter of time.

One day Xahar will be strong again. I, however, am impatient.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »

I don't doubt that he will be, though my point is that his disappearance removed one of the major barriers to the unification of the left-wing.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2009, 04:57:24 PM »

I don't doubt that he will be, though my point is that his disappearance removed one of the major barriers to the unification of the left-wing.

If people are open to my strategy, we could have a center that is able to compete with the left. I don't know where that leaves you guys, though.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

There simply are not enough center/right leaners to ever be able to defeat the JCP hegemony in its current form. Even when the right was unified, we were successful mainly because the left was not, not because we had such large numbers to compete. This realignment Hamilton dreams of is just smoke and mirrors. Even if it was implemented, the right would still not be able to win national elections. The whole site has a disproportionate number of leftists versus rightists. The RPP has also ushered in an era of rigid partisanship that may be more difficult to break than in the past.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »

If people are open to my strategy, we could have a center that is able to compete with the left. I don't know where that leaves you guys, though.

I'm sure there are enough libertarians/libertarian-leaners to have a small party to that effect. We probably wouldn't hold many offices, but maybe we could get the major parties to compromise toward our position to try to get our second-preferences.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »

The right doesn't need to win elections. I could care less about the success of a particular ideological faction I refuse to align with. Instead, I promote a coalition that will pose as a competitive alternative to the JCP. The right must be left to work out their own problems, and the center will gather to fix ours. I, for one, am open to all centrist/center-left/center-right persons willing to seriously consider a realignment, including you, Duke. Your problem has always been your attitude. You can not see past your elitism enough to do the right thing for your beliefs, and that will always come back to haunt you.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »

The right doesn't need to win elections. I could care less about the success of a particular ideological faction I refuse to align with. Instead, I promote a coalition that will pose as a competitive alternative to the JCP. The right must be left to work out their own problems, and the center will gather to fix ours. I, for one, am open to all centrist/center-left/center-right persons willing to seriously consider a realignment, including you, Duke. Your problem has always been your attitude. You can not see past your elitism enough to do the right thing for your beliefs, and that will always come back to haunt you.

I think my problems are well-documented. It will come down to when I decide to rid myself of them, and then I'll be alright.

If the point is not to win elections, then what is the point? That is, at the end of the day, the whole point to this game. If we hold little or no offices, then we really cannot wield any power at all in the halls of the government. Sure, we can propose policies, and that's a start, but if the left holds overwhelming majorities in the Senate and occupies the White House, then we will get nothing done. We'll be the tea baggers of Atlasia, so to speak. A loud minority that really has no influence over policy. The current landscape was always on the horizon, a unified left, and it was only a matter of time before it came into light.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »

I think my problems are well-documented. It will come down to when I decide to rid myself of them, and then I'll be alright.

If the point is not to win elections, then what is the point? That is, at the end of the day, the whole point to this game. If we hold little or no offices, then we really cannot wield any power at all in the halls of the government. Sure, we can propose policies, and that's a start, but if the left holds overwhelming majorities in the Senate and occupies the White House, then we will get nothing done. We'll be the tea baggers of Atlasia, so to speak. A loud minority that really has no influence over policy. The current landscape was always on the horizon, a unified left, and it was only a matter of time before it came into light.

And what attempts at competing has the RPP made?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »

And what attempts at competing has the RPP made?

The RPP, in its heyday, was the greatest hope the right had at winning the big one, which was the main reason why so many blue avatar types left the game in the past. We capitalized on a left wing in disarray and deals formed with the DA in order to win national and regional elections, leading to the peak in June, where we came within a point of capturing the White House. Since then, the JCP gained strength with the unification with the SDP, DWTL's personality became too much to handle for many, and the rest is history.

In many ways, we signed our own death certificate when we ushered in the era of partisanship, because there was always more leftists than rightists in the game, and it was only a matter of time they unified. We gave them an incentive to do that because we, at one point, held five Senate seats.

I will cede a point to you, though, in that we helped the JCP when we supported bgwah/meeker. I was never on board with that one because, ideologically, I fit in better with AndrewCT, was closer with him, and thought he and aflietch would've made a good team in the White House. I think my disagreement there was well documented.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »

The RPP almost won in June because the DA voted for PiT. Not because PiT led a good campaign or was a good candidate, since he epic fails in both those regards.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »

The RPP almost won in June because the DA voted for PiT. Not because PiT led a good campaign or was a good candidate, since he epic fails in both those regards.

It is my belief that the right should suck it up and support the center, in order to stop the left. Until they do that, all we will ever see is social democrats.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »

It is my belief that the right should suck it up and support the center, in order to stop the left. Until they do that, all we will ever see is social democrats.

Your ridiculous assertions and unsupported hysteria are getting old.

How many Social Democrats do we have in office? Maybe three in the Senate. One is the President, but the next in line is far more moderate and I'm leaving office. The VP is a moderate alot of people love, several Senators are conservatives and centrists.

The idea that Social Democrats are overrunning the government, while a nice thought, is a complete and utter lie.

But I realize, however, that you're not in this to be accurate or actually caring about the truth, but rather causing alot of trouble, stirring the pot enough, and whining and scaremongering enough that someone might take pity on you and group up. This isn't about the truth, this is just about you wanting to usher in a stronger group to associate yourself with.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »

There are no conservative Senators, Marokai. There are at least 3 Social Democrats in the Senate, though I will consider Fritz a moderate liberal. Franzl and afleitch and Hashemite are free trade liberals. Tmthforu94 and NC Yankee are populists.

Lief is easily a social democrat. Bacon King is not a moderate... He is a liberal.

Your skewed vision of right and left is really bothering. The idea that there were no leftists in the Senate when you arrived is laughable.

You are so opposed to this because it weakens your leftist regime.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2009, 05:37:05 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Wasn't I the one who suggested afleitch/popular RPPer as a ticket for February? Tongue Problem is though that all of the popular RPPers are now popular DAers & popular independents, with the notable exception of Inks.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »

See, that statement just throws your whole argument out the window. I think you're being serious, but then you say something like that. On one hand, you say you refuse to align yourself with a group that doesn't espouse your views, and then demand the right tosses out their views to unite with the center, in order to win elections. You've just contradicted yourself. The right can just say the center needs to abandon their beliefs and unite with them, and we're back where we started: divided.

Don't get me wrong, a party that is centrist in its beliefs is a novel idea, but there are not enough of us to win a national election, and we don't get along well enough anyway. Those aspects are our fault, no one else's. We have the ARC throwing mud at the RPP, the RPP attacking the ARC. Until the infighting stops, we'll never compete nationally. And, while you have these grand plans, you've contributed to this problem as much as DWTL. It will never get better as long as this is going on. This realignment will only work if everyone agrees to follow you, and surely you are not naive enough to believe that will occur.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2009, 05:37:06 PM »

Wasn't I the one who suggested alfeitch/popular RPPer as a ticket for February? Problem is though that all of the popular RPPers are now popular DAers & popular independents, with the notable exception of Inks.

Funny. Didn't the RPP vote for a raging liberal simply because of afleitch and/or Verily? Twice?

Now you WANT afleitch?

lol

And a DA/RPP ticket wouldn't necessarily be competitive. You'd steal have to deal with wildcards like the LNF and ARC.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2009, 05:39:27 PM »

See, that statement just throws your whole argument out the window. I think you're being serious, but then you say something like that. On one hand, you say you refuse to align yourself with a group that doesn't espouse your views, and then demand the right tosses out their views to unite with the center, in order to win elections. You've just contradicted yourself. The right can just say the center needs to abandon their beliefs and unite with them, and we're back where we started: divided.

Don't get me wrong, a party that is centrist in its beliefs is a novel idea, but there are not enough of us to win a national election, and we don't get along well enough anyway. Those aspects are our fault, no one else's. We have the ARC throwing mud at the RPP, the RPP attacking the ARC. Until the infighting stops, we'll never compete nationally. And, while you have these grand plans, you've contributed to this problem as much as DWTL. It will never get better as long as this is going on. This realignment will only work if everyone agrees to follow you, and surely you are not naive enough to believe that will occur.

The difference is this. The right is much closer to the center than it is to the left. The center is much closer to the left than it is to the right. It is natural that the center will gravitate to the left given a choice between a rightist and a leftist. Look at October.

This realignment would only work if people wanted it to work. If people want JCP domination, then that is fine for them to desire. I don't necessarily want it, but considering the alternatives, it's pretty much the only way to go right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies