Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:12:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 97
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 108019 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2021, 01:57:46 PM »

I'll be headed back to the (virtual) classroom after a two-semester (summer/fall) break this week, this time to start rehabilitating my Russian language skills.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #301 on: January 10, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »

Today I opened the three packs of Monarchs I bought yesterday but I accidentally slightly damaged the box (specifically, I peeled off a bit of it) of the red one, and I'm angry over this.
This opinion is probably heretical among experts but I think I prefer Bicycle's.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #302 on: January 10, 2021, 10:02:00 PM »

I moved from Washington Island, WI to Waitsfield, VT today!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #303 on: January 10, 2021, 11:07:53 PM »

how many states have you lived in now?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #304 on: January 11, 2021, 07:57:09 AM »

how many states have you lived in now?

4!

‘94-‘03: Jacksonville, FL
‘03-‘18: St. Augustine, FL
‘18-‘20: Kansas City, MO
‘20-‘21: Washington Island, WI
‘21-??: Waitsfield, VT
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #305 on: January 11, 2021, 11:03:55 AM »

Enjoy your rural liberal paradise!

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #306 on: January 12, 2021, 07:13:23 AM »

And how could we sing
with a foreign foot weighing upon our hearts,
among the dead bodies forsaken in the streets
on the grass hard as ice, to the lamb-like
moaning of the infants, to the black scream
of the mother walking towards her child
crucified on the telegraph pole?
On the boughs of the willows, as a vow,
our harps too were hung,
they oscillated gently with the sad wind.

- Salvatore Quasimodo, On the boughs of the willows

(Translation by: yours truly)

Inspired by a conversation with Alcibiades.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #307 on: January 12, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2021, 06:22:37 PM by America Needs Jesus Christ »

I was planning to go to a Young Republicans (mostly 20-somethings) meeting tonight, but I'm getting so annoyed with the rhetoric coming out of some corners of the party that I just don't feel like dealing with it, even if there is a diversity of views on the recent events within the organization.  It doesn't help that the speaker they're having tonight is ultra pro-Trump.  I just don't feel like listening to a MAGA speech anymore.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2021, 06:24:25 PM »

I was planning to go to a Young Republicans (mostly 20-somethings) meeting tonight, but I'm getting so annoyed with the rhetoric coming out of some corners of the party that I just don't feel like dealing with it, even if there is a diversity of views on the recent events within the organization.  It doesn't help that the speaker is ultra pro-Trump.  I just don't feel like listening to a MAGA speech anymore.

I'll show myself the door.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2021, 06:29:31 PM »

I was planning to go to a Young Republicans (mostly 20-somethings) meeting tonight, but I'm getting so annoyed with the rhetoric coming out of some corners of the party that I just don't feel like dealing with it, even if there is a diversity of views on the recent events within the organization.  It doesn't help that the speaker is ultra pro-Trump.  I just don't feel like listening to a MAGA speech anymore.

I'll show myself the door.

You kid, but, if the party continues down this rabbit hole, it might soon be this:

Fortunately, I do think that there are enough Republicans who are going to push us in a different direction after the 20th.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #310 on: January 12, 2021, 11:15:05 PM »

I'm cleaning old photos out of my phone and I stumbled across this gem from my days at the People's Republic of Berkeley:

Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2021, 12:00:52 AM »

I'm cleaning old photos out of my phone and I stumbled across this gem from my days at the People's Republic of Berkeley:

I'm supportive of LGBT rights but college campuses have changed a lot in 50 years. The discourse went from discussing things like anti-war activism, civil rights, and economic issues, to an almost comically single minded obsession with social justice only, sometimes taken to an extreme focus like in your example (although some are obviously valid like BLM advocacy and mental health awareness.) Since the American college campus is now a business, they can't discuss the economic stuff because they themselves are a major factor in those problems, they can't talk anti-war because of all the ROTC and GI Bill welfare queens and recruiters on their campuses, and focusing on mental health is great until you realize they are CAUSING a lot of mental health problems. I hated college, being able to go to Berkeley or anywhere else in the '50s and '60s would have been a dream.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2021, 12:26:00 AM »

I've decided that I'll probably start posting on here a bit more frequently than I have in recent months as, in spite of everything, this remains one of the better forums for the discussion of politics, especially the kind of discussion that interests me (international politics and more informed 'academic' analysis).

It's great to have you back! Purple heart
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2021, 08:22:33 AM »

I don't think I have ever mentioned that in 1946 two Aliyah Bet ships were blockaded by the British here in La Spezia but in the end were allowed to leave the city and reach the Holy Land after a hunger strike, strong solidarity from the city inhabitants, and international interventions, and now La Spezia is apparently nicknamed "Gateway to Zion" in certain circles.

I think Sunriso might appreciate this.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #314 on: January 14, 2021, 06:40:12 AM »

I just realised that a certain long-time Republican Michigan congressman who voted to impeach Trump has the same first name and middle name as me.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #315 on: January 14, 2021, 07:34:22 AM »

I just realised that a certain long-time Republican Michigan congressman who voted to impeach Trump has the same first name and middle name as me.

Whaaat

Brutal self-doxxing

Can I refer to you as Frederick X of Denmark from now on?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #316 on: January 14, 2021, 08:17:45 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 08:22:53 AM by Alcibiades »

Whaaat

Brutal self-doxxing

Can I refer to you as Frederick X of Denmark from now on?

If you want. I figured it’s fine as long as my surname is safe. This little coincidence was too good not to share.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »

I'm supportive of LGBT rights but college campuses have changed a lot in 50 years. The discourse went from discussing things like anti-war activism, civil rights, and economic issues, to an almost comically single minded obsession with social justice only, sometimes taken to an extreme focus like in your example (although some are obviously valid like BLM advocacy and mental health awareness.) Since the American college campus is now a business, they can't discuss the economic stuff because they themselves are a major factor in those problems, they can't talk anti-war because of all the ROTC and GI Bill welfare queens and recruiters on their campuses, and focusing on mental health is great until you realize they are CAUSING a lot of mental health problems. I hated college, being able to go to Berkeley or anywhere else in the '50s and '60s would have been a dream.

Your comments on The TroopsTM aside, are you saying that there is a physical or regulatory prohibition on such, or that it simply violates contemporary campus culture? Colleges have had ROTC and GI Bill attendees since before the protest era, so far as I'm aware.

Yeah but back then it wasn't such a financial commitment. They're now getting tens of thousands of dollars per student in those programs, so they can't do anything that would threaten that revenue stream. Not an official prohibition but a choice that is made. Not to mention that since the early 2000s, any criticism of the military tends to be shouted down.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »

I have been reflecting on the conflictedness of my current display name after spending a considerable amount of time in musings about Metallica's One and euthanasia, which you might agree is one of the most stereotypically Battista Minola things ever.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2021, 01:37:40 PM »

I have been reflecting on the conflictedness of my current display name after spending a considerable amount of time in musings about Metallica's One and euthanasia, which you might agree is one of the most stereotypically Battista Minola things ever.

As I noted in the "opinion of the previous poster's display name" thread, the conflicts at its heart are what make it such an intriguing phrase.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »

As I noted in the "opinion of the previous poster's display name" thread, the conflicts at its heart are what make it such an intriguing phrase.

As I noted in a "guilty pleasures in music" thread, Metallica's music is supreme but their lyrics are "culture of death" to a fault.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2021, 03:38:42 PM »

One of my friends from college was diagnosed with COVID. Very, very worried about them.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2021, 04:29:56 PM »

One of my friends from college was diagnosed with COVID. Very, very worried about them.

I'm sorry to hear that. Sad
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »

I hate living with my roommates. They are nice guys for the most part, but they live like college kids even though we are all the same age. Dirty dishes every day, never mopping, random trash left lying around. Not being careful with covid stuff including having parties and going to stores without masks. I'm honestly miserable living there, I have a few months left on the lease and am definitely shopping around for a new place.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2021, 07:26:59 PM »

I am now an essential worker.

My employer sent me a letter today which says that I perform essential work that cannot be done remotely. I can use it in case I'm stopped on my way to work (I almost never go) now with Ontario's stupid new 'stay home order'. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies