COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:23:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 541388 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« on: August 04, 2020, 06:42:57 PM »

According to Worldometers, Spain is reporting almost 6,000 new cases today.  That would work out to about 40,000 cases in the US on a per capita basis, and they still seem to be doubling every week.  

Per capita death totals in Spain are still significantly higher than the US, despite the fact that they essentially stopped reporting deaths in mid-June.

So what exactly did that country do right again?

They’re European and so easy fodder for critics to hammer orange man and advocate for forever lockdowns
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 12:46:53 AM »

at this point, it's vaccine or bust for america
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:33:38 PM »

The nation has moved on
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 02:54:43 PM »

there's fans at sports games again - the nation has moved on, whatever the case/death numbers may be, ppl are fatigued by the virus and are resuming their lives as much as they can.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »

there's fans at sports games again - the nation has moved on, whatever the case/death numbers may be, ppl are fatigued by the virus and are resuming their lives as much as they can.

Agreed. People are tiring of the virus-which may be explaining why I've seen more and more customers at my job going about maskless (which I find to be an alarming development, but it's still notable enough). Unfortunately, a return to normalcy won't be fully possible until we have a vaccine, but to think that we can continue with lockdowns and social distancing restrictions indefinitely would be an unwise gesture. And the harsh reality at this point is that the pandemic has only exacerbated polarization, not loosened it. People are more fixed to their political ideologies and ways of viewing the world than ever before.

The messaging from the government was dreadful, and I truly do mean both parties here. Two weeks to flatten the curve is turning into half a year now. Perhaps if it was made clear that this would be a year long slog, the public would be more engaged
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »

The nation has mentally moved past the virus - doesn't help that politicians seem to be playing by different rules (Newsom/Feinstein/all GOP) while preaching different rules to the people
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 10:27:45 PM »

Interesting how there's no commentary whatsoever about how it's significantly more challenging to lead a vaccination effort in a state of 20 million than it is in a state of less than 2 million...

Percentage of vaccine doses delivered depends on absolute population now?
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »

Regardless if we got back to in-person this school year or wait till the fall, this year has been a wasted year of education for many schoolkids and this gap imo will prove to be nearly impossible to make up
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 10:05:09 AM »

The vast majority of people have moved on from the pandemic a while ago, only the hyper online and political hacks like us care about the restrictions
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 9/16-9/22/2021 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Well everyone, it finally happened. After over a year and a half of consistently reporting on COVID-19 descriptive statistics, enough work popped up that it completely eluded me to report on last week's numbers (I can't seem to find the stats for Wednesday 9/29 on the Worldometers website).

If someone knows of a way to access these numbers, I'd be happy to continue updating them. Otherwise, I feel fine letting this hiccup in continuity function as an indicator that, maybe, it is time to retire from this task.

It's been a long and slow haul, but I believe that the horizon is around the corner, if not right in front of us at this point. We might have a sense of normalcy by the end of this year or the start of the next.

Arch pls
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 06:28:44 PM »

lets wait and see what dr fauci says...
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »

Dems might soon realize that we are in month 20 of the pandemic and that for better or for worse the country is ready to or has moved on, dems cannot keep acting as if it’s March 2020
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »

My father is now among the 700,000+ victims of this pernicious and evil disease in this country....

im truly sorry for your loss calthrina
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 09:00:48 PM »

Well, it now seems that break through cases are are killing with ruthless efficiency. 28% of the the hospital admissions are break through cases in Michigan, as are 24% of the deaths. So now, the issue is whether I need to cancel our thanksgiving plans. One of the celebrants has not had a booster shot, and I don't know how long it has been since she had her jabs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/22/covid-surge-winter-523109

Lol
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »

I’m still perplexed as to why there hasn’t been more public activism on pro-vax side.  Like, why are there so many idiotic anti-vax “protest”, but I have yet to hear of anyone organizing a protest demanding faster approval of vaccines for kids, or boosters, or stricter vaccine mandates, or (earlier on) challenge trials?  These are all things that could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives!
anti-populist Biden-Youngkin Comstock simps.
😂😂😂😂😂😂
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 09:55:27 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2022, 10:10:25 AM by gerritcole »

https://deadline.com/2022/02/l-a-mayor-garcetti-says-he-held-his-breath-for-maskless-photo-with-magic-johnson-1234925457/

Garcetti says he "held his breath" while taking a maskless photo. How f**king dumb do these elitist Democrats think we are?

stfu bigot! do you not see the sacrifices the elites are making on our behalf??? Hold your breath for 2 weeks in repentance to save grandma
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies