Andrew Cuomo Resignation Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:10:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Andrew Cuomo Resignation Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29
Poll
Question: What happens to Andrew Cuomo?
He resigns.

He is impeached and removed.

He finishes his term but doesn't run for another one.

He finishes his term and runs again but loses the primary.

He finishes his term, runs again, wins the primary but loses the general election.

He is re-elected.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo Resignation Megathread  (Read 34104 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: August 12, 2021, 08:13:26 PM »

I hate to disappoint Bricejoel and Johnson is part of the corrupt D system, as I said before Biden and Clinton are two peas in a pod, they both had Tara Reade and Lewinsky and Gennifer Flowers and Paula Jones, Clinton didn't get rid of Fillibuster because Biden didn't want to get rid of it in the Senate. That's why in 2009 Biden was Veep and Tom Udall proposal would have Eliminated Filibuster and Biden said no

Pat Moynihan a blue dog and Mario Cuomo both went to their graves defending Bill Clinton at least fellow blue dogs Byrd and Lieberman and Landrieu and Breaux and Pryor spoke out against Clinton behavior

No difference between Biden Tara Read, Clinton Lewinsky and Cuomo Sex harrassment and Mario Cuomo defending like James Carville Bill Clinton, 1997, I was a kid remembering Mario Cuomo defense of Clinton, because Andrew was CLINTON HUD SECRETARY
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #626 on: August 12, 2021, 08:25:42 PM »

I always at certain level liked Cuomo and I am sad to see him go.  It seems to me that if he were to go it should be over the nursery home coverup and not this bunch of unproven one-sided accusations which I agree could be true but is not proven to be true.  I guess in the end he just made too many enemies that when he needed friends to help him he had none he could count on.   
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #627 on: August 12, 2021, 08:45:17 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2021, 09:10:09 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

He was HUD SECRETARY OF BILL CLINTON AND HIS DAD MARIO DEFEND CLINTON, THATS WHY HE US GUILTY OF SAMETHING

Not all these women were sexually harrassed we can go back to Anita Hill
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #628 on: August 12, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »

I always at certain level liked Cuomo and I am sad to see him go.  It seems to me that if he were to go it should be over the nursery home coverup and not this bunch of unproven one-sided accusations which I agree could be true but is not proven to be true.  I guess in the end he just made too many enemies that when he needed friends to help him he had none he could count on.   

Any one allegation is unprovable, but when there are this many I think we know what kind of a guy he is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #629 on: August 12, 2021, 10:29:50 PM »

Andrea Stewart-Cousins will be acting Lt Governor as Senate Majority Leader.

Remember 2009 when no one knew who was Lt Governor because of the control of the State Senate being disputed?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #630 on: August 12, 2021, 11:15:26 PM »

Don't forget the whole "Believe all women who don't accuse a powerful Democrat" thing.

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/08/elite-liberal-feminism-times-up-roberta-kaplan-andrew-cuomo-metoo
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #631 on: August 12, 2021, 11:42:09 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2021, 03:19:58 AM by brucejoel99 »

Andrea Stewart-Cousins will be acting Lt Governor as Senate Majority Leader.

At most, ASC will only serve as Acting L.G. for the presumably few moments between Hochul's accession to the governorship & her appointment of a new permanent L.G., as she said during her press conference yesterday that she'll be selecting said appointee prior to becoming Governor, during the transition period in which only 11 days now remain.

Remember 2009 when no one knew who was Lt Governor because of the control of the State Senate being disputed?

No matter what else can be said about David Paterson, it simply can't be denied that he made up for his blindness with the sheer size of his political balls. Skelos v. Paterson was a landmark ruling in NY constitutional law, & it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't decided to just say "f**k you petty-ass bitches, MTA legend Richard Ravitch is your tie-breaker now."

Every mainstream Democrat under the Sun believed the women who were accusing a powerful Democrat & so called for a verifying investigation, which is why that Time's Up chairwoman whom you point to - let alone, y'know, Cuomo - has been forced to resign-in-disgrace. If there's a point which you're trying to make here, it's not being made in any successful way.

If Cuomo is indeed guilty he should be prosecuted, but it's too bad the current POTUS (against whom there are more credible accusations) isn't held to the same standards.

I do think this is largely a ploy to hurt DeSantis. Democrats can say they got rid of their governor who screwed up his state's Covid response the worst and drive public opinion against DeSantis for how he has handled Covid in Florida. I don't agree that he has screwed it up, but since I think DeSantis is a poor candidate and a neocon I don't mind if this happens.

Those are certainly all words.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #632 on: August 13, 2021, 07:48:49 AM »

If Cuomo is indeed guilty he should be prosecuted, but it's too bad the current POTUS (against whom there are more credible accusations) isn't held to the same standards.

I do think this is largely a ploy to hurt DeSantis. Democrats can say they got rid of their governor who screwed up his state's Covid response the worst and drive public opinion against DeSantis for how he has handled Covid in Florida. I don't agree that he has screwed it up, but since I think DeSantis is a poor candidate and a neocon I don't mind if this happens.

If Republicans were like Democrats, Trump never would have gotten away with 25+ credible accusations of sexual assault.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »

I'm throwing in just a thought: Forget about Trump... could Blue Trump Cuomo actually do or attempt to do what the orange buffoon only suggested and pardon himself? He has a couple of days left in office and nothing to lose by doing so. In a worst case scenario, the matter would go before a state court to rule whether such action is legitimate. Tbh, I wouldn't be that surprised by such a move and neither should be anyone who has followed his scandals just recently. It's very possible he'll get in legal trouble with the sexual harassment stuff and nursing homes after leaving office. A self-pardon could at least save him from state charges, albeit not ongoing federal investigations. In his position, I wouldn't bank on a female successor he wasn't close to to save him. Neither Biden nor Hochul would lift a finger for this dude and have nothing to gain from it.

What are your takes?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »

Lmao

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2021, 03:20:06 PM »

If the state constitution just straight-up doesn't empower the Assembly to impeach & permanently bar an official who's resigned, then that's pretty much it, really. Not every state constitution is a perfect parallel of the federal Constitution.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2021, 03:20:55 PM »

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that this affair has also damaged my opinion of Carl Heastie.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »

I think the key line here is: the Assembly will suspend its impeachment investigation upon the governor's resignation taking effect on August 25.

While it's disappointing that the impeachment will not conclude with charges against Cuomo, I don't think this back-track means Cuomo will try and wriggle out of resigning. The impeachment will in theory continue for the next fortnight, so it will at least keep the pressure up until that point, and ensures he acts with a little more foresight until he leaves office.

Personally, I would not be surprised if dropping the impeachment was part of a deal Cuomo cut with Heastie in order to resign with reduced legal threat.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #638 on: August 13, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »

Personally, I would not be surprised if dropping the impeachment was part of a deal Cuomo cut with Heastie in order to resign with reduced legal threat.

I wouldn't either, but I'm also inclined to take Judiciary's counsel at their word on this. The wording in NY's constitution is more particular than the federal equivalent in such a fashion that it reads as if it precludes post-resignation impeachment.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #639 on: August 13, 2021, 05:07:28 PM »

They kind of go hand-in-hand in the sense of him not being able to govern when his brand is this tarnished. I personally believe that the nursing home revelations were in fact the catalyst for women coming forward. It proved that Cuomo was not the man he presented himself for his entire term, and especially during the pandemic with the allegations reinforcing his corrupt narcissism.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: August 14, 2021, 12:50:48 AM »

I think the key line here is: the Assembly will suspend its impeachment investigation upon the governor's resignation taking effect on August 25.

While it's disappointing that the impeachment will not conclude with charges against Cuomo, I don't think this back-track means Cuomo will try and wriggle out of resigning. The impeachment will in theory continue for the next fortnight, so it will at least keep the pressure up until that point, and ensures he acts with a little more foresight until he leaves office.

Andrew Cuomo is probably changing his resignation to August 25, 2034 right now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: August 14, 2021, 02:04:46 AM »

He is already in civil and Criminal liability, the state assembly already passed on to civil and Criminal attorneys sexual harrassment liabilities

This isn't news to the Cuomo's Pat Moynihan, Mari Cuomo defended Clinton. To their graves and Andrew learned sexual harrassment and being defended as HUD SECRETARY during Clinton Admin

Just like Biden was close to Clinton that's why Carville defended Clinton and Biden on Lewinsky and Reade, how politics go around in circles
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #642 on: August 16, 2021, 09:39:23 AM »

I'm still waiting for him to withdraw his resignation, because I don't trust him.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #643 on: August 16, 2021, 10:46:43 AM »

Heastie has apparently backtracked:

It should be noted that he's offered no timeline for this, so there's still a chance that it'll all go silent after Cuomo leaves office, and Heastie hopes everyone just forgets now that there's a new governor in town.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #644 on: August 16, 2021, 03:06:53 PM »

On the timeline:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: August 16, 2021, 03:31:50 PM »

Still lacking a formal resignation, I really hope that this "14-day transition" isn't just another "14 days to stop the spread."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #646 on: August 16, 2021, 11:37:10 PM »

I'm still waiting for him to withdraw his resignation, because I don't trust him.
Bookmarking. Will be bringing up again once he's gone and you are OWNED.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #647 on: August 17, 2021, 02:09:47 AM »

I don't trust him either. Feel free to bookmark and own me. I think it's like 90-10 he goes through with it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #648 on: August 17, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »

I don't trust him either. Feel free to bookmark and own me. I think it's like 90-10 he goes through with it.

This, except I think it's more like 99 - 1.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #649 on: August 17, 2021, 08:14:41 AM »

This, except I think it's more like 99 - 1.

Well, Red, we will all be HAPPY to be PWNED
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies