Andrew Cuomo Resignation Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:50:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Andrew Cuomo Resignation Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29
Poll
Question: What happens to Andrew Cuomo?
He resigns.

He is impeached and removed.

He finishes his term but doesn't run for another one.

He finishes his term and runs again but loses the primary.

He finishes his term, runs again, wins the primary but loses the general election.

He is re-elected.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo Resignation Megathread  (Read 34520 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: August 10, 2021, 05:50:59 PM »

I'm actually surprised he finally saw the light and is resigning. Good f***ing riddance to our Trump.

It should also be said that another benefit to this occurrence is that we no longer need to hear wild speculation about what a 2022 gubernatorial election with a scandal-plagued Cuomo looks like. We're probably going to get a nice, peaceful, safe D election with Hochul instead now that will lack any suspense whatsoever.

Will unions support her? She is married to the vice-president of a notorious union-busting corporation.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2021, 05:52:45 PM »

I'm actually surprised he finally saw the light and is resigning. Good f***ing riddance to our Trump.

It should also be said that another benefit to this occurrence is that we no longer need to hear wild speculation about what a 2022 gubernatorial election with a scandal-plagued Cuomo looks like. We're probably going to get a nice, peaceful, safe D election with Hochul instead now that will lack any suspense whatsoever.

Will unions support her? She is married to the vice-president of a notorious union-busting corporation.

I actually didn't know that. Maybe not. But if she really wants to win a full term as Governor, and is aware of this as a weakness, I expect that she will try to compensate for it while campaigning and governing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #602 on: August 10, 2021, 06:04:59 PM »

He's still governor for 2 weeks? Probably hoping people forget about this and he can unresign.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #603 on: August 10, 2021, 06:07:45 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2021, 06:12:05 PM by Roll Roons »

Just wondering, why does no one seem to care about Cuomo's nursing home decision/coverup? That really should be considered the much worse offense.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #604 on: August 10, 2021, 06:11:33 PM »

Just wondering, why does no one seem to care about Cuomo's nursing home decision? That really should be considered the much worse offense.

It's funny, because that was an issue for awhile when it was first revealed, but very soon after came the sexual misconduct accusations, possibly even because of the nursing home scandal. And obviously sexual misconduct allegations are a bigger media draw, so it sort of overwhelmed the nursing home scandal. I don't think it really makes a difference though because it's clear, in general, that Cuomo was simply unable to govern in general with anyone having any confidence in him.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #605 on: August 10, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »

He's still governor for 2 weeks? Probably hoping people forget about this and he can unresign.

I said it earlier, but the 2 week window does make me wonder. Larry Craig said he was going to resign and then just changed his mind and got away with it. They need to keep pressing impeachment until he's gone.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #606 on: August 10, 2021, 06:48:43 PM »

I'm glad to see that Cuomo is leaving. This is major news indeed. Now New York is going to have its first ever female Governor.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #607 on: August 10, 2021, 07:39:27 PM »

He could have put up a big fight, but instead he did the right thing by recognizing that if he did that it would only cause problems for the state that he claims he loves so much

This is the kind of speech someone like Trump would have never given

This is hilarious.

Cuomo stopped short of forcing them to eject him from the governor's mansion kicking and screaming, and not by much. He dragged this out for as long as he could. He spent months lying, calling in favors, and doing everything he could to discredit his accusers and the investigation. In the process, he damaged his party, tainted reputations, and destroyed careers.

If he wanted credit for owning up to his failures and the damage that he has done to other people, the time for that was many months ago at the latest.

I agree with you and to be clear my original post was not meant to portray Cuomo as some kind of hero for doing as you correctly pointed out something he should have done a long time ago

I was simply saying that I find it hard to believe that Trump would have ever resigned if he was in that same position

In the exact same position Trump might very well have resigned. But he was never going to be in that position. Because the key here isn't whether Trump or Cuomo is worse. It's that the Democrats make it clear that Cuomo had crossed a line and had to go, while Republicans made it clear that they have Trump's back, no matter what he does.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #608 on: August 10, 2021, 07:48:19 PM »

Even if Cuomo's resignation does become official, the Assembly/State Senate should impeach him anyways, and hold a vote on barring him from holding office in New York in the future.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #609 on: August 11, 2021, 12:37:21 AM »

Apologies if this has been asked already, but is there any hope now with a new Governor that NY democrats will pass a partisan congressional gerrymander to help stop republicans and Qevin McQarthy from stealing back the House?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #610 on: August 11, 2021, 12:47:26 AM »

He had to resign, D's don't want a sexual harrassment scandal in the middle of the Election
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #611 on: August 11, 2021, 01:27:21 AM »

Apologies if this has been asked already, but is there any hope now with a new Governor that NY democrats will pass a partisan congressional gerrymander to help stop republicans and Qevin McQarthy from stealing back the House?

Cuomo had become irrelevant when it comes to redistricting. NY Democrats have two thirds majorities in both chambers and can do whatever they want, and that includes overriding both the commission and a governor's veto.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #612 on: August 11, 2021, 01:27:46 AM »

Ugh, I'm surprised he actually announced his resignation. Seems like he realized there was no way forward; if essentially everyone in Albany, DC and at the local level calls for your resignation and impeachment probe is underway, you can't govern. This move also avoids him a painful and embarrassing impeachment process that may have revealed more details about the other scandals we ought not the forget. Particularly the nursing home scandal and his corrupt book deal. That said, these still need to be investigated.

14 days is long, I believe he needs some time to finally get used to losing the job. The dude has been around in Albany for decades, worked for his father and tried as early as 2002 to become NY-gov. Now he's been in for over a decade as dominant figure in Albany and wanted to outdo his father by serving 4 terms.

Finally I hope the state can finally move on and wish the 1st female gov would clean up things and do the people's business.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #613 on: August 11, 2021, 01:30:51 AM »

With Hochul, it's unlikely.

She'd probably insist on a Republican gerrymander, as she'd probably be a Republican in any state that isn't New York or California.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #614 on: August 11, 2021, 08:26:17 AM »

I said it earlier, but the 2 week window does make me wonder. Larry Craig said he was going to resign and then just changed his mind and got away with it. They need to keep pressing impeachment until he's gone.

No one trusts the Luv Guv?  Stunning.  Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #615 on: August 11, 2021, 09:12:10 AM »

The new Lt Gov will be Andrea Stewart-Cousins btw.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #616 on: August 11, 2021, 10:10:30 AM »

Cuomo had become irrelevant when it comes to redistricting. NY Democrats have two thirds majorities in both chambers and can do whatever they want, and that includes overriding both the commission and a governor's veto.

Oh wow I was unaware of this. Great news.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #617 on: August 11, 2021, 11:41:31 AM »

Only acting LG, Hochul will still have to appoint her own LG. Stewart-Cousins would honestly be a really good placeholder choice though.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #618 on: August 11, 2021, 12:42:30 PM »

Only acting LG, Hochul will still have to appoint her own LG. Stewart-Cousins would honestly be a really good placeholder choice though.
I know, Hochul already said she picked her.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #619 on: August 11, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »

Where was this? Because Stewart-Cousins was on Rachel Maddow last night & confirmed that she won't be the permanent Lt. Governor & will return to her current position once Hochul has named a permanent replacement.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #620 on: August 11, 2021, 01:00:50 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2021, 01:31:20 PM by President Johnson »

Remarks and a press conference with Kathy Hochul have been scheduled for 2 p.m. EST.

Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPZxpG5iR0

EDIT: Here's the video:

She has emphasized not to have been close with Cuomo and pledged that no staffer who contributed to a toxic work environmental would be retained whatsoever. She also said a lt. Governor will be named within weeks.

Funny enough, nobody asked about her plans in 2022. I actually expected his this question early on. At least no reporter came to asking that question.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #621 on: August 11, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »

She has emphasized not to have been close with Cuomo and pledged that no staffer who contributed to a toxic work environmental would be retained whatsoever. She also said a lt. Governor will be named within weeks.

And when asked specifically on a follow-up, she said that she intends to name who her L.G. will be during the 2-week transition period, so ASC will presumably end up having to serve a barely negligible, if any amount of time as Acting L.G.

Funny enough, nobody asked about her plans in 2022. I actually expected his this question early on. At least no reporter came to asking that question.

This may be just me, but I took her use of the word "ticket" rather than "administration" when she said that she's "cognizant of the need for diversity & an inclusive ticket" as a not-insignificant indicator as to what her plans are for 2022.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #622 on: August 11, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »

Where was this? Because Stewart-Cousins was on Rachel Maddow last night & confirmed that she won't be the permanent Lt. Governor & will return to her current position once Hochul has named a permanent replacement.

I may be wrong but I read it here.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #623 on: August 11, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2021, 09:13:52 PM by brucejoel99 »

I may be wrong but I read it here.

Huh, that's weird. Well, that article is now most definitely wrong in any event, given Hochul's comments from earlier today.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #624 on: August 12, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »

BTW, one of the nicknames for Cuomo on the Mainland Chinese internet circles since late 2020 is "青州牧" or Governor of Chingchou (青州). 

Chingchou (青州) was the ancient name for what is now Shandong province.  During the reign of Emperor Wu of the Han Dynasty (157BC-87BC) one 莫珂 Mou He was the Governor of Chingchou (青州).    Mou He came from a prominent political family which produced many high ranking government officials.  During a pandemic Mou He choose to ignore orders from the Emperor on anti-pandemic measures, made demands for supplies from the central government which when they did not arrive turned the population's anger at government ineffectiveness toward the central government while he hogged the limelight on his anti-pandemic measures which produced significant popular support for his government in Chingchou (青州).  Then when the death rate sored he worked to hide the number of people that have died and claimed victory over the pandemic.  In the end all this was exposed and his political career ended in tragedy.   

I did not noticed the use of this term until early 2021 but it is an apt comparison to Cuomo.  On the whole Cuomo was one of the few USA politicians that choose not to attack the PRC for the COVID-19 in 2020 so he became somewhat known in Mainland Chinese political discussion boards.  When news of the death in nursery homes started to come out was when the nickname "青州牧" or Governor of Chingchou (青州) started appearing as a nickname for Cuomo.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies