IL-03
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:00:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-03
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Poll
Question: Who will win the IL-03 dem primary?
Dan Lipinski

Marie Newman

Charles Hughes

Rush Darwish

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: IL-03  (Read 30814 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »

In news that I think all of us can appreciate, noted Neo-Nazi Arthur Jones is pulling only 11% in the Republican primary.

only one worse than marie newman

Oh stop. Roll Eyes

Youre a RINO.

1) Yes, and only because Ohio canceled its primary today. Thus depriving me of the opportunity to cast a ballot for Biden, and officially change my avatar back to red.

2) one need not be a r i n o, or indeed anything more than the most histrionic minority of Lipinski supporters, to claim that a literal neo-Nazi is the only worst candidate on the ballot than Newman. So I repeat: Roll Eyes
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »

News media should be careful when talking about Newman. She’s “progressive” in the sense that she’s a lot more liberal than Lipinski, but not “progressive” as in Berniecrat. She’s really just a generic Pelosi Democrat.

She is in the progressive wing of the party, though. She supports Medicare For All and the Green New Deal which is far more than can be said about Pelosi.

The appropriate take is that she is more from the Warren or Pressely mold - a candidate with an ideology to the left of the center of the party (which is definitely to the left of the nation) but she is not a 'pitchfork and torch' person like Omar.

Thank you team Warrren!

Ding Ding Ding.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »

I miss daddy dan already, I cant even adequately put it into words

Then perhaps "Daddy Dan" shouldn't have been an anti-choice Congressman who thought voting against Obamacare was a good idea.

That’s why I liked him ffs
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »

So much for the Democrats being a Big Tent party.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »

Finally, something to celebrate!
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2020, 08:55:37 PM »

We certainly have no room in here for literal Republicans.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »

Then perhaps "Daddy Dan" shouldn't have been an anti-choice Congressman who thought voting against Obamacare was a good idea.

So wait a minute. You and I both support Joe, who is staunchly pushing expansion of Obamacare to include the public option that the Republicans + Joe Lieberman stanched 10 years ago. Why would you support Biden if voting against Obamacare was so integral to your support of Lipinski? Genuinely confused.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2020, 08:56:04 PM »

These Chicago margins blow. Its over.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2020, 08:56:14 PM »

Lipinski is actually going to lose this. Wow. I can live with Sanders losing the primary, since it looks like Democrats in general are opening up to some of his ideas and not always going for the most “moderate” candidate (I realize Newman isn’t exactly Sanders’s twin, but still.)

I'm really surprised by this considering that Newman had to split the field with two other candidates who took nearly 10% of the anti Lipinski vote.

I'm wondering what caused Lipinski to drop so dramatically in support from the primary only two years ago. Happy to see it, but you wouldn't expect this type of largely blue-collar suburbs type of place to be subject to a ton of millennial influx or other demographic changes that could so change the results in only 2 years. Did he do something to screw up that's only known by the locals? Or did his inherited campaign apparatus just fall apart?

Apparently one of the other candidates played hard to one of the minority groups Lipinski did well with last time, so there go some of his 2018 votes. Also, there is a competitive GOP primary (and Trump is on the ballot so you gotta show your loyalty) so limited crossover voters like last time.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2020, 08:56:58 PM »

Welp, the string of good results had to be broken eventually.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »

Thank you team Warrren!

Purple heart

If Texas didn't have voter suppression, he'd have been toast this year.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2020, 08:57:57 PM »

In news that I think all of us can appreciate, noted Neo-Nazi Arthur Jones is pulling only 11% in the Republican primary.

only one worse than marie newman

Oh stop. Roll Eyes

Youre a RINO.

1) Yes, and only because Ohio canceled its primary today. Thus depriving me of the opportunity to cast a ballot for Biden, and officially change my avatar back to red.

2) one need not be a r i n o, or indeed anything more than the most histrionic minority of Lipinski supporters, to claim that a literal neo-Nazi is the only worst candidate on the ballot than Newman. So I repeat: Roll Eyes

That's the definition of a RINO.  Zip it.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »

So wait a minute. You and I both support Joe, who is staunchly pushing expansion of Obamacare to include the public option that the Republicans + Joe Lieberman stanched 10 years ago. Why would you support Biden if voting against Obamacare was so integral to your support of Lipinski? Genuinely confused.

I’m only supporting Biden since he is the best choice out of the bunch, but he is much further to the left than I actually like.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »

Lipinski would be a Republican if he was representing a tossup district. We have people like Tester, Manchin, and Peterson who are Democrats despite representing solid red states/districts. We ARE the big tent party.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »

Lipinski is actually going to lose this. Wow. I can live with Sanders losing the primary, since it looks like Democrats in general are opening up to some of his ideas and not always going for the most “moderate” candidate (I realize Newman isn’t exactly Sanders’s twin, but still.)

I'm really surprised by this considering that Newman had to split the field with two other candidates who took nearly 10% of the anti Lipinski vote.

I'm wondering what caused Lipinski to drop so dramatically in support from the primary only two years ago. Happy to see it, but you wouldn't expect this type of largely blue-collar suburbs type of place to be subject to a ton of millennial influx or other demographic changes that could so change the results in only 2 years. Did he do something to screw up that's only known by the locals? Or did his inherited campaign apparatus just fall apart?

Apparently one of the other candidates played hard to one of the minority groups Lipinski did well with last time, so there go some of his 2018 votes. Also, there is a competitive GOP primary (and Trump is on the ballot so you gotta show your loyalty) so limited crossover voters like last time.

Rush Darwish, who made outreach to the Arab-American community a big part of his campaign. Obviously, we can't see the map but it wouldn't surprise me if he cut into Lipinski's support in those precincts.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »

Lipinski would be a Republican if he was representing a tossup district. We have people like Tester, Manchin, and Peterson who are Democrats despite representing solid red states/districts. We ARE the big tent party.
You're calling him a Republican, as if pro-life people aren't welcomed.

You'd be kicking JBE to the curb if you had a magic wand.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »

Thank you team Warrren!

If Bernie's team had Warren's understanding of how to build Congressional power, we'd have Cisneros there too.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2020, 09:02:17 PM »

No I wouldn’t, because he’s our best chance at holding statewide office in Louisiana. The people like JBE and Tester are Democrats despite the extreme partisan bias against their party. And even then, they all vote/govern like Democrats, with the exception of very few topics. They have principles.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »

So, is it fair to say that even though Newman was endorsed by the Justice Dems, she's not really on their side?  It was more like Stacey Abrams getting endorsed by them?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2020, 09:03:25 PM »

We don't need a ConservaDem in a district Clinton won by 15%,  enough said.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2020, 09:04:37 PM »

68% in. Newman up 2.3 points.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2020, 09:05:43 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2020, 09:12:43 PM by Badger »

Don't care how often I have to repeat myself on this. Yes, any candidate who is not only adamantly anti-choice, but a lead Point person in legislating against gay rights for years, votes against Obamacare, refuses to endorse Obama for re-election, is at best Centrist on most other economic issues, AND represents a safely Democratic District to boot, yeah, they're going to fly like a lead balloon and deservedly so.

Additionally, if Lapinski was representing a district in West Virginia, Idaho, or maybe even non Gary or Indianapolis Indiana, relatively few Democrats here would seriously give him much beef.

On a further note, how many Republicans can you point to who are as similarly left-of-center on as many issues that Lipinski is right-of-center on and representing a safely Republican District who is it getting primaried? Please, go on and show me the pro-choice, longtime Pro gay-marriage, pro-obamacare, and generally moderate to right of Center on most other issues Republican who refused to endorse Mitt Romney due to being to extremist, who is also representing an r + 8 District without getting primaried.

I'll wait.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »

So, is it fair to say that even though Newman was endorsed by the Justice Dems, she's not really on their side?  It was more like Stacey Abrams getting endorsed by them?

Thereabouts. Endorsing Newman, I think, was a means to the end of being rid of Lipinski.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »

Total: Newman 47.03% Lipinski 44.33% 68% reporting

Chicago: Lipinski 49.50% Newman 44.23% 74.38% reporting
Suburban Cook: Newman 48.04% Lipinski 42.13% 75% reporting
Will: Newman 51.99% Lipinski 39.74% EV, mail only
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »

Yes, I agree with you. Newman is a generic democrat. She’s just the progressive choice when compared to the alternative.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies