IL-03
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:06:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-03
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Poll
Question: Who will win the IL-03 dem primary?
Dan Lipinski

Marie Newman

Charles Hughes

Rush Darwish

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: IL-03  (Read 31458 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2020, 10:44:27 PM »

They're both ghoulish, I will grant you that. But at least the majority of Republicans don't support legalized killing on an industrial scale; it's a shame that that can't be said of the Democrats, and I hope that someday they change for the better. I don't believe that will ever happen, though.

This crap is why I take breaks from this site.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2020, 10:46:02 PM »

I'm left with the wistful "if only" feeling that it would have been nice if someone as awful as Lipinski had lost over something other than not being a loyal footsoldier on abortion.

That's a pretty big oversimplification. For one, Lipinski was hit just as much for voting against Obamacare as he was being anti-choice. He had a ton of liabilities that Newman easily played to her advantage.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2020, 10:58:19 PM »

Which one is Margaret Croke running in?  If that joker appears on my YouTube with another ad that I can't skip, I'm looking up her opponent and donating.
Croke's in the 12 State House district, which she looks to have wrapped up — an interesting proxy battle in the ongoing Pritzker-Lightfoot war ends in a victory for the former.

But at least the majority of Republicans don't support legalized killing on an industrial scale; it's a shame that that can't be said of the Democrats, and I hope that someday they change for the better. I don't believe that will ever happen, though.
It's called the military-industrial complex for a reason, and last I checked a majority of Republicans are very much in favor.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2020, 11:02:56 PM »

They're both ghoulish, I will grant you that. But at least the majority of Republicans don't support legalized killing on an industrial scale;

Oh?

Anyway, this isn't an edifying exchange. The takeaway for me is that Lipinski happened to be absolutely awful but the fact that people like him are being shoved out of the party is dismaying for reasons unrelated to his individual characteristics.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2020, 11:04:31 PM »

Didn’t really follow the snoozefest that’s the Democratic presidential primary (although I’d wager that there isn’t as much gloating on the 2020 board as in this thread Grin), but I’m quite disappointed with this result. Lipinski was one of the better Democrats (yes, you’d have be to absurdly out of touch with reality to consider him a Republican), so I guess it’s no surpise he went down to defeat to a fraud like Newman. At least Cuellar got one last hurrah.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2020, 11:12:12 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2020, 11:25:09 PM by Oryxslayer »

NYT/AP called it for Newman. GG

EDIT: Art Jones, the kooky extremist holocaust denier who got 10% on the GOP side, has some weird hate tweets right now on his twitter about the results. Not going to link them because of their content, but if you want a laugh/cringe...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #232 on: March 18, 2020, 12:37:06 AM »

Well, ideological purges continue in BOTH parties. Essentially: almost no more place in Democratic party if you are pro-life, no more place in Republican - if you are pro-choice. Boring. That's the reason, why i follow US politics with less and less interest every passing year  - it became too  predictable and simply not interesting enough.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2020, 12:41:20 AM »

Well, ideological purges continue in BOTH parties. Essentially: almost no more place in Democratic party if you are pro-life, no more place in Republican - if you are pro-choice. Boring. That's the reason, why i follow US politics with less and less interest every passing year  - it became too  predictable and simply not interesting enough.

There are still number pro-life Democrats (JBE, Manchin, Peterson, Casey, etc.), that isn't the problem. The problem is being pro-life, plus anti-gay, plus anti-ACA, plus anti-Obama, and so on and so forth. Add into the fact he represents a D+6 district compared to say a R+12 district like Peterson.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2020, 12:46:26 AM »

Dan Lipinski must join general election campaign as a write-in candidate. I'm very unhappy with results of primary. Democrats are constantly moving to the left and do not want to see people with different opinions in their party. Then how Democrats are better than Republicans?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2020, 12:55:13 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 01:03:42 AM by smoltchanov »

Well, ideological purges continue in BOTH parties. Essentially: almost no more place in Democratic party if you are pro-life, no more place in Republican - if you are pro-choice. Boring. That's the reason, why i follow US politics with less and less interest every passing year  - it became too  predictable and simply not interesting enough.

There are still number pro-life Democrats (JBE, Manchin, Peterson, Casey, etc.), that isn't the problem. The problem is being pro-life, plus anti-gay, plus anti-ACA, plus anti-Obama, and so on and so forth. Add into the fact he represents a D+6 district compared to say a R+12 district like Peterson.

I know there are still some. But - fewer and fewer with every year. Even in Louisiana some "activists" attacked JBE as "false Democrat" or "Republican-lite" despite this being, probably, the most socially conservative state in US, with about 60% of population taking very strong pro-life position (much more so, then in Republican Wyoming or Utah, for example). It becomes really boring, when you can recite candidate's position on 97% of issues after simply looking at letter after his/her name. The game became too predictable... The process, which (on my memory) began in Republican party in 1978, when liberal Clifford Case unexpectedly lost Senate primary in New Jersey to complete zero Jeffrey Bell (2 years after nearly successfull right-wing insurgent challenge by Ronald Reagan), is almost complete now.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2020, 01:04:00 AM »

Hopefully Lipinski eventually goes down in the history books alongside the Democrats who voted to abolish slavery in 1865.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2020, 01:26:27 AM »

RIP FF. The Democrats continue their march to perdition.

This guy in 2020 is socially to the right of where me, a neocon at the time, was in 2004.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #238 on: March 18, 2020, 01:32:59 AM »

Dan Lipinski sounds like a piece of s***t. Can someone list some more reasons to detest him?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #239 on: March 18, 2020, 01:57:42 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 04:07:22 PM by Monstro »

Moderate Democrats on this board: "The Progressive Movement needs to move past Bernie if they want any hope of growing their numbers. Running better & more appealing candidates would be a great start."

Moderate Democrats on this board after an appealing Progressive candidate wins: "Damn the Berniecrats for unseating a Moderate incumbent! Democrats are on a death march if they keep appeasing the Progressive Movement!"
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »

Dan Lipinski sounds like a piece of s***t. Can someone list some more reasons to detest him?

Check out how his dad got him (s)elected.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #241 on: March 18, 2020, 04:24:08 AM »

Dan Lipinski must join general election campaign as a write-in candidate. I'm very unhappy with results of primary. Democrats are constantly moving to the left and do not want to see people with different opinions in their party. Then how Democrats are better than Republicans?

Yes Marie Newman is a massive Trotskyist leftie who will doom the Democrats. Do you listen to yourself?

Y'alls fave white moderate hero who NOBODY knows about outside of Twitter or this hellsite gets primaried and you act like it's the death of all things good. He was an anti choice DINO hack, y'all only support him cuz you know it's too embarrassing to support the GOP.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #242 on: March 18, 2020, 04:39:43 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 04:45:40 AM by Resigned to Biden »

Deplorable DINO Dan Lipinski, a.k.a. Trump's favorite Democrat:
*Voted against Obamacare and co-sponsored a bill to take away employer-provided insurance for one million people
*Supported a budget that would have cut Social Security and Medicare
*Voted against overtime pay and against a $15 an hour minimum wage
*Voted against the Dream Act
*Called Donald Trump "a champion of immigration reform"
*Voted over 50 times to restrict a woman's access to reproductive health care and is one of only two Democrats (along with soon-to-be ex-Rep. Collin Peterson of Minnesota) an amicus curiae brief calling on the Supreme Court to reconsider and potentially overturn Roe v. Wade
*Voted against legislation to increase federal funding for embryonic stem cell research in 2007
*Supported the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and "religious freedom" acts and says he's "personally opposed" to marriage equality
*Accepted over $2.5 million from corporations and their lobbyists
*Supported reauthorizing the Patriot Act in 2006
*Did not endorse Barack Obama for President in 2012

Yeah, shame on those angry radical leftist Democrats for primarying this upstanding champion of progressive values such as these! Give me a break. Good riddance, DINO Lipinski. There's probably a seat waiting for you at Faux Noise right next to Tulsi Gabbard.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #243 on: March 18, 2020, 04:52:59 AM »

Yeah here’s the thing: I really, really doubt Lipinski lost cause of abortion and acting like it’s the sole (or even the main) reason isn’t quite true. Just look at the previous post.
Roblox

« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2020, 05:18:18 AM »

I love to see it.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2020, 05:45:10 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 06:00:48 AM by smoltchanov »

Yeah here’s the thing: I really, really doubt Lipinski lost cause of abortion and acting like it’s the sole (or even the main) reason isn’t quite true. Just look at the previous post.

Because of abortion only? - No, of course. But it was very important factor, motivating "base" hatred against him. And not only him and not only because of abortion  - Feinstein was called a "conservative Democrat" by many of these activists despite being thoroughly pro-choice. In fact - ANY vote against activist's wishes causes such reactions, and cries "primary him/her!". Democratic party gradually becomes as Bolshevick's and as intolerant to any views, but views of "base", as Republican does. Even 10 years ago it was very different, Now it seems that even Capuano and Crowley were "insufficiently liberal" for activists. Naturally, Lipinski - even more so..
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #246 on: March 18, 2020, 06:09:53 AM »

Pretty hard to argue this loss wasn't self-inflicted. Lipinski has had a target on his back for years and really had no excuse for complacency. I don't think you can take this as evidence that moderates can't win in Democratic primaries, it's just evidence that moderates can't win when they don't make any effort to win the median primary voter.

Is there any information about what the electorate looked like yesterday? If it continued to be as elderly as the early figures suggested, then it seems likely that Lipinski would have been absolutely blown out under non-coronavirus conditions.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:35 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 06:37:05 AM by TrendsareUsuallyReal »

Imagine calling yourself a Democrat and then being upset that Dan Lipinski of all people lost to a standard Democrat. Seriously, some of y’all would decry “lack of a big tent” if Arthur Jones was the Democratic incumbent that she primaried out. If you are that butthurt about it then you probably should take a serious look at joining the Republican Party.

This is a good thing. Lipinski was a jackass and his votes back in the Obama era caused Dems in competitive or red seats to take hard votes, all while he suffered no consequence for it in his safely blue seat. And for those decrying a dying breed of moderate Dems, that is a slap in the face to people like Manchin, JBE, Sinema, Tester, Rose, Brindisi, and Casey who are there on the important things when we need them. Lipinski is the one that will gladly stab you in the back as he sits in his safely blue seat.

I’m fully expecting Lipinski to endorse and campaign for Trump now because he’s that big of an ass. I wonder how his Biden bro defenders will act then?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:56 AM »

Next stop: Henry Cuellar.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2020, 06:12:37 AM »

His ass is grass

For those who will @ me: notice how Democrats are only targeting “Democrats” sitting in safely blue seats. No one is clamoring to primary Collin Peterson so calm your titties (even though he’ll lose the General this year anyway)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies