IL-03
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:10:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-03
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14
Poll
Question: Who will win the IL-03 dem primary?
Dan Lipinski

Marie Newman

Charles Hughes

Rush Darwish

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: IL-03  (Read 31591 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2020, 09:23:16 PM »

If my research is true, then there were probably other factors that contributed to Lipinski's loss.  A Hispanic population surge in the district was going to be fatal for him, given his vote against the Dream Act.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »

This might actually end up not being that close. Newman is currently up 3 points with 72% in, but that's with Will County nearly all outstanding. Newman won Will in 2018 by 17 points.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »

This might actually end up not being that close. Newman is currently up 3 points with 72% in, but that's with Will County nearly all outstanding. Newman won Will in 2018 by 17 points.

Chicago has 52 precincts outstanding. Will has 16. DuPage has 1.5 (?). Suburban Cook has 45.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2020, 09:25:35 PM »

If my research is true, then there were probably other factors that contributed to Lipinski's loss.  A Hispanic population surge in the district was going to be fatal for him, given his vote against the Dream Act.

I'm not sure about that.  He did fairly well in Hispanic precincts last time, and his recent voting record has been pro-immigrant.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2020, 09:25:52 PM »

In Illinois 11, whats with the Left leaning candidate doing relatively well against Bill Foster.

The progressive insurgents tend to do better in Congressional district primaries, voters there tend to know their communities better and don't have to make large assumptions about electability (i.e a voter is more likely to have a better idea of who/what their neighbor will vote for versus a New Yorker having to make a guess about who/what an Ohioan would vote for).
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »

This feels like the exact same thread from two years ago.

I'm pro-life and so is Lpinski. But Lipinski is unaccpetable because he voted against Obamacare and failed to endorse Obama and called IIRC Ronald Reagan a hero. Not due to the fact progressives are smearing him as "anti-choice". 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2020, 09:30:09 PM by Badger »

So much for the Democrats being a Big Tent party.

Don't care how often I have to repeat myself on this. Yes, any candidate who is not only adamantly Auntie choice, but a lead Point person in legislating against gay rights for years, votes against Obamacare, refuses to endorse Obama for re-election, is at best Centrist on most other economic issues, AND represents a safely Democratic District to boot, yeah, they're going to fly like a lead balloon and deservedly so.

Additionally, if Lapinski was representing a district in West Virginia, Idaho, or maybe even non Gary or Indianapolis Indiana, relatively few Democrats here would seriously give him much beef.

On a further note, how many Republicans can you point to who are as similarly left-of-center on as many issues that Lipinski is right-of-center on and representing a safely Republican District who is it getting primaried? Please, go on and show me the pro-choice, longtime Pro gay-marriage, pro-obamacare, and generally moderate to right of Center on most other issues Republican who refused to endorse Mitt Romney due to being to extremist, who is also representing an r + 8 District without getting primaried.

I'll wait.
Charlie Baker signed a transgender civil rights bill, a $15 minimum wage, and a tough red flag law.

Meh, picking a blue State Governor seems a little bit like a cheat because the voting Dynamics for congressional representation versus an executive oh, and Judgment of their voting record accordingly, are rather different. Not to mention how how much do you want to bet if he new knew had tried to veto these bills he would have been overridden by the legislature in a heartbeat?

Still, I'll give you at least some points for Baker. He only lost about a third of the votes to a completely underfunded no name candidate due to his moderation.

How about Larry Hogan? I simply assumed because he's a vaunted moderate in a state like Maryland that he must be pro-choice and pro-gay-rights
Yes, forgot about him.  He signed some laws beefing up gun control as well as a ban on conversion therapy.

My point is...the Dems should be able to be tolerant of someone like Lipinski.  This is part of the reason why we're so polarized.

Incidentally, your analogy also fails in that Massachusetts and Maryland are far far more D friendly for pvi than Lipinski District. To be a true equivalent to Lipinski, Hogan or Baker would have to be governor of someplace like Texas, Georgia, or South Carolina. How well do you think they would do in a primary among "big tent" minded Republicans down there?

And again, if you just scratch the surface you'll see that Democrats and progressives on this list ARE reasonably Tower of moderate to conservative Democrats who represent conservative districts and states.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »

Oh yes, yet another reason it puts him gross out of step with even the most middle-of-the-road typical Democrat. Or even most Americans. Hell, he had to have known this is actually voting against the interest of most of his own dang constituents!

Still waiting to hear about that Pro DREAM Act Republican representing a + 6 R District
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:48 PM »

I've been saving my election victory song all f**king primary season long.

Not surprised you listen to demented state cult music.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »

We are a big tent party. Progressives are part of the party, too.

Ideological uniformity does not a big tent make. You're a teepee full of clowns and witch doctors.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2020, 09:32:57 PM »

Yeesh, I thought I was derailing this thread, you win YH.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2020, 09:35:35 PM »

Another reason why Lipinski had less 'potential' voters accessible this time when compared to 2018. Less ad money and less machine efforts in the last week.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »

Hopefully Lipinski voters know that they need to #VoteBlueNoMatterWho
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2020, 09:37:53 PM »

I've been saving my election victory song all f**king primary season long.

Not surprised you listen to demented state cult music.

Triggered traitorous racists. The yummiest tears around!
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2020, 09:38:26 PM »

We are a big tent party. Progressives are part of the party, too.

Ideological uniformity does not a big tent make. You're a teepee full of clowns and witch doctors.

"Big Tent Party" is a myth.   Polarization is too strong nowadays to appeal to everyone,  Republicans don't even bother to try anymore.

Therefore there's no real reason for the Democrats to either. 

If you're running in a super conservative area, fine, go right of center like JBE or Peterson.   

If you're in a district where the Dem Pres candidate gets 55%+ of the vote, no, no reason to at all.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2020, 09:38:31 PM »

Nope.  I'll vote for the pro life candidate.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2020, 09:39:14 PM »

Another reason why Lipinski had less 'potential' voters accessible this time when compared to 2018. Less ad money and less machine efforts in the last week.
In other words, they have their heads up Trump's butt so much that they'd rather sacrifice an ally to the political gods than just suck it up and accept that they have a disagreement?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2020, 09:40:19 PM »

Now’s not the time for hate and toxicity, stop being a Lipinski Bro and unite.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »

Marie Newman will win the Democratic primary, defeating Lipniski.

She will be the next congresswoman anyway.

It also shows, that you cannot be pro-life Democrat running anymore. Lipniski, Manchin, Addabbo, Cuellar, etc. have to watch out.

Bob Casey Sr. would not be accepted in the Democratic Party today.

Casey Jr. and Tim Kaine had to shift their views.

That's why Casey will never be VP, they'd be a floor fight at the convention.

Just like how Tom Ridge and Christie Whitman would never be accepted in the Republican Party today, they are too pro-choice for the South.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »

Sigh.... ja wohl
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2020, 09:42:13 PM »

Now’s not the time for hate and toxicity, stop being a Lipinski Bro and unite.

I'm raditating toxicity.  Lol.  Anyway I never said I cared about progressive values or whatever.  I supported beautiful Dan because he's pro life and Catholic.  Thats it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2020, 09:42:16 PM »

Great result, IL-03 can and should have a progressive Representative and it's a step forward that they'll get this now. So long, Lipinski!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2020, 09:43:11 PM »

gtfo DINO  ... wait, come back!!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »

Sigh.... ja wohl

Alhamdulillah my dude.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2020, 09:47:08 PM »

In other words, they have their heads up Trump's butt so much that they'd rather sacrifice an ally to the political gods than just suck it up and accept that they have a disagreement?

Apparently so. I'd say "un-f**king-believable" but I really don't expect much better from Big Pro-Life these days. They'd rather have wall-to-wall Republican dominance for its own sake than cultivate viable pro-life contingents in both parties. They weren't interested in saving Joe Donnelly's ass two years ago either, although at least in that case his opponent was pro-life too.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies