OH-SEN 2024: Brown (D) vs Moreno (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:23:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-SEN 2024: Brown (D) vs Moreno (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24
Author Topic: OH-SEN 2024: Brown (D) vs Moreno (R)  (Read 29606 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: March 14, 2024, 10:49:16 PM »

There's nothing inherently wrong with Moreno being potentially gay. It is a problem if he presents himself and intends to legislate on anti-LGBTQ policies however.

Shame on the Dolan campaign for trying to make this a liability for him though. But they're probably onto something, if Moreno does lose this could be what pushes Dolan over into defeating him.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2024, 11:34:42 PM »

If Brown actually did this he would win honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDsE20pZIpg

Classic gay-baiting Dem ad from 2002. I think it was discussed here on Atlas at the time.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2024, 11:57:46 PM »

If Brown actually did this he would win honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDsE20pZIpg

Classic gay-baiting Dem ad from 2002. I think it was discussed here on Atlas at the time.

Just looking at that race and then went to the 2014 race… The dem nominee had to drop out cause he plagiarized a term paper. We’ve come a long way in tolerating bs
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #428 on: March 15, 2024, 12:22:55 AM »

There's nothing inherently wrong with Moreno being potentially gay. It is a problem if he presents himself and intends to legislate on anti-LGBTQ policies however.

Shame on the Dolan campaign for trying to make this a liability for him though. But they're probably onto something, if Moreno does lose this could be what pushes Dolan over into defeating him.

Honestly just wish one of these Trumpy Rs would own being gay or "committing homosexual acts" in a similar way to how Trump dealt with the Hollywood access tapes and such. Unironically it could really help normalize acceptance (or at least neutrality) towards gay folks in remaining anti-gay holdouts.

Seen some weird stuff on social media where some younger folks on the right and far-right justify homosexuality as enhancing one's sense of masculinity because it's manly to do stuff with another man (and likewise for women and feminity). Not sure if that's the right mindset to have, but at least it's technically some form of acceptance?
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2024, 07:39:07 AM »

Personally, I don't care if a Republican is gay or not and it shouldn't be used as a point of attack either in the primary or the general. But I also think that a gay Republican (closeted or not) should really do some reflecting on why they want to run for office under their mantle and/or support their agenda when it's very clear that being gay to them at a minimum is gross. Why would you want to be friends with and support people who are repulsed by your existence?

I understand this is far from an original thought, but it seems like a lot of Republicans live their lives with a perpetual cognitive dissonance that tells them to believe the persecution will happen to everyone else but them. Republicans get abortions and then talk about it as if it was okay for them but anyone else who gets one is a minion of satan. I would just appreciate a little more honesty--if you hate gay people, say that and mean it. If you don't (and I assume a good number of Republicans don't hate gay people), then either tell that to the party or go elsewhere.

I dunno, I've long said that I understand disagreements on certain issues--I can understand why people want lower taxes on rich people, why they may not want a $15 minimum wage, etc.--those are things I disagree with, but I get. I can't get co-existing with people who believe at a fundamental human level that you are lesser for being gay or trans or having an abortion--those are things that are either immutable or are just part of the long journey of being a human. Things that no one should have to actively defend and answer about themselves. If Democrats were largely like "hey, we're going to pass bills to make sure that people who love heavy metal have fewer rights" then I would no longer be a Democrat and I would no longer feel safe amongst Democrats. That's a part of my core identity and is obviously much more trivial than someone's sexual or gender identity, but I would not want to associate with people who thought my identity was lesser than theirs.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2024, 10:22:47 AM »

I think Moreno ultimately gets bailed out by Trump’s rally.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #431 on: March 15, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »

Could be too little to late though. Also, Moreno & the Trump folks are underestimating the Political Machinery former Senator Rob Portman & Governor DeWine have in the State and Dolan got both of them onboard. There is also no risk for DeWine going against Trump since he is termed out likely to be succeeded by his Lt. Governor Jon Husted.

Both, Portman & DeWine are massive institutions in the State.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #432 on: March 15, 2024, 10:53:09 AM »

Could be too little to late though. Also, Moreno & the Trump folks are underestimating the Political Machinery former Senator Rob Portman & Governor DeWine have in the State and Dolan got both of them onboard. There is also no risk for DeWine going against Trump since he is termed out likely to be succeeded by his Lt. Governor Jon Husted.

Both, Portman & DeWine are massive institutions in the State.

Does Moreno still have a chance?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #433 on: March 15, 2024, 05:16:56 PM »

His face definitely pings my gaydar. I’m not surprised that he was cruising for twinks fifteen years ago. He can get whoever he wants once he is a Senator! Lucky man.

In fact, I think this even puts his Trumpiness into better clarity, since many prominent Trumpers seem to be potentially blackmailed and over-leveraged.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2024, 06:21:18 PM »

His face definitely pings my gaydar. I’m not surprised that he was cruising for twinks fifteen years ago. He can get whoever he wants once he is a Senator! Lucky man.

In fact, I think this even puts his Trumpiness into better clarity, since many prominent Trumpers seem to be potentially blackmailed and over-leveraged.

You say that, yet to me all three of the candidates almost look like the most generic, bland, stock cookie-cutter Republicans possible. When the three of them are in an image together I struggle to identify which is which.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2024, 06:37:17 PM »

Things are getting UGLY. One of the most vile anti gay mailers I have seen in years.

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2024, 06:39:25 PM »

Things are getting UGLY. One of the most vile anti gay mailers I have seen in years.

This is a terrible campaign strategy. LaRose was never going to even be in the top 2 and his campaign is close to dead. The race is between Dolan and Moreno now. Lowering LaRose's numbers will increase Dolans.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2024, 07:38:44 PM »

“Republicans are moderating on social issues”
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2024, 08:26:25 PM »

“Republicans are moderating on social issues”

Yes
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #439 on: March 15, 2024, 09:51:43 PM »

Soooo…
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2024, 10:34:41 PM »

Soooo…

Trump’s endorsement means more than the Mayor of East Palestine’s. Moreno is still the favorite.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #441 on: March 16, 2024, 12:03:49 AM »

Dolan very clearly has momentum. I am seeing signs of Trump folks going they respect him and Moreno but voting Dolan because he can win.

The high profile Democratic intervention almost seems designed to backfire given how publicized it was
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2024, 12:12:01 AM »

Dolan very clearly has momentum. I am seeing signs of Trump folks going they respect him and Moreno but voting Dolan because he can win.

The high profile Democratic intervention almost seems designed to backfire given how publicized it was

I still think Moreno will win though.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2024, 02:54:49 AM »

Hopefully this happens, and finally ends this stupid strategy. I mean it almost led to Kari Lake having a trifecta in Arizona which would've caused all kinds of damage and I would not be surprised if she would've tried to intervene in the election in inappropriate ways to "prove" fraud, had she won. We cannot get this wrong. Donald Trump and his handpicked candidates have been clear that they will govern in very authoritarian ways and he has pledged to be a dictator on Day One (anyone else wondering why he would stop on Day One). It is absolutely imperative that his handpicked candidates are defeated, and "but, they are the weaker opponent" is a weak and lousy excuse to not do so.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2024, 09:24:29 AM »

Founder of the site claims that the data clearly points to it being a prank. Also that AP lied about having geodata for the account creation. Yet again another op to try to destroy a GOP candidate coming from the media! And not the first time from AP either...
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2024, 11:43:41 AM »

I think Moreno's history of wage theft lawsuits are more damaging than this weird adult site story. The only angle I could see Dems taking with this particular story, is pointing out the fact he might have been using an official govt email 'taxpayer $$' to solicit services.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #446 on: March 16, 2024, 11:50:35 AM »

Don't forget that Moreno is latino and was born in Colombia.
Do you think that this will have sone impact, especially considering the type of campaing he is doing?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #447 on: March 16, 2024, 04:18:38 PM »

what signs?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #448 on: March 16, 2024, 04:23:37 PM »

Don't forget that Moreno is latino and was born in Colombia.
Do you think that this will have sone impact, especially considering the type of campaing he is doing?
wait he latino?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #449 on: March 16, 2024, 11:13:05 PM »

what signs?

Mostly MAGA influencere on X stating they are fine Dolan and the priority is winning.  There are almost none of the usual attacks "Rino" just concern he might not get Trump votes for over the Indians name. It's an unusually restrained effort this weekend
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies