Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:27:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 1169
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 911265 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2950 on: February 26, 2022, 12:02:17 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/02/25/ukraine-russia-chips-sanctions-tsmc/

"Computer-chip industry begins halting deliveries to Russia in response to U.S. sanctions"

I wonder if Russia might launch counter-sanctions of C4F6,  gases neon, and palladium which is critical to making semiconductors.  If they do that the entire world chip industry might fall into crisis and massively hit supply chain issues related to products that need chips.  I guess like SWIFT on the collective West side, unless Russia gets desperate they will not play this card.

We will do just fine in our Fabs thank you very much.

As it is we are already looking for ways to change our manufacturing processes and facilities with roadmaps designed to significantly reduce the amount of various inputs, which will do all sorts of cool things from GhG Emissions and Hazardous Chemicals and Hazardous Waste streams.

Pretty sure our Fabs will be able to manage any such supply chain issues, even if the costs might be marginally higher....
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2951 on: February 26, 2022, 12:03:26 AM »

Putin is a pussy, why doesn't he go out and 1v1 with Zelenskyy

he'll get his ass beat
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2952 on: February 26, 2022, 12:06:04 AM »

The invasion hasn’t been some type of unmitigated disaster but boy Russia is really doing a crappy job so far
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2953 on: February 26, 2022, 12:07:10 AM »

he'll get his ass beat

Speaking of chickenhawks, Dubya seems to have changed his mind on Putin's soul.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2954 on: February 26, 2022, 12:10:26 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 12:13:38 AM by Roll Roons »

The invasion hasn’t been some type of unmitigated disaster but boy Russia is really doing a crappy job so far

I wonder if low morale among Russian troops is playing a bigger part than people think. Think about who they are - college-age kids who've been shipped off to kill innocent people on the whims of a delusional real-life James Bond villain.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2955 on: February 26, 2022, 12:12:47 AM »

Kyiv stands!!
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2956 on: February 26, 2022, 12:17:40 AM »

Why do I feel as if; Putin is holding back ?

Only 190,000 troops ?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2957 on: February 26, 2022, 12:18:15 AM »

Kyiv stands!!

Incredible
Pink Panther

« Reply #2958 on: February 26, 2022, 12:19:31 AM »

Kyiv stands!!

God Bless Ukraine!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2959 on: February 26, 2022, 12:20:24 AM »

Slava Ukraina!
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2960 on: February 26, 2022, 12:21:21 AM »

I don't think Putin is this dumb. If he attacked Sweden and/or Finland, it would be a completely different ball game. IMO, they should already be in NATO, but I doubt it would matter. At that point, even die-hard Putin appeasers in Europe would be able to see his endgame. Norway, even if they're not attacked, I bet would swiftly respond. The Nordic countries are too close culturally to stand by when the others are invaded I believe. This would then likely pull in Poland and then the rest of Europe, and then probably the US into war, which would absolutely decimate Russia militarily.
wouldnt this trigger a coup in moscow?

I mean, hopefully. After all, I don't want Russian civilians to suffer or die, even as much as I find myself being more and more rabidly pro-involvement in the whole Ukranian invasion situation. I want Russia's military to be severely degraded and/or destroyed (if need be - and that is wholly up to them) so they can't bully smaller democratic countries anymore.

I would love it if the West came up with a way to impose sanctions so severe on the russian economy that Putin was overthrown from the inside by a fed-up russian populace and oligarchy, and the US ended up not having to fire a shot. Probably a pipe dream, I know, but that would be the ideal endgame.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2961 on: February 26, 2022, 12:23:07 AM »

Turn on your leaders, guys. Overthrow them. Don't die in a wretched frozen field somewhere for some fevered madman's dream of Soviet glory.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2962 on: February 26, 2022, 12:23:16 AM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2963 on: February 26, 2022, 12:23:48 AM »

Hearing that Russians had a successful landing in Uman, bad if true.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2964 on: February 26, 2022, 12:33:17 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2965 on: February 26, 2022, 12:35:01 AM »

I thought it was twitter propaganda but wow this seems to be going into Winter war 2.0 which would be impressive considering Ukraines terrain is much worse to defend than Finland.

Genuinely asking, can Ukraine actually win this thing? Or are they just gonna make sh*t suck for the VDV while still not being able to successfully hold back all of the mechanized battalions?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2966 on: February 26, 2022, 12:38:25 AM »

Good. The terrorists can rot in hell. It's payback for the Ukraine transport that got shot down by russian AA fire last night.
Omega21

« Reply #2967 on: February 26, 2022, 12:38:47 AM »

Breaking News

In light of recent developments, Russian forces are facing a mass desertion event.

According to reporters on the ground, the situation is worst within Kadyrow’s Chechen ranks, who have reportedly started making their way towards Siberia.

The Russian 45th Guards Brigade is in a similarly precarious position, as Private Yuri tells us:

"We could not even believe it at first, this goes against everything in the Geneva convention".

That, however, is not the end of Ukraine’s woes.

Hearing of the recent Ukrainian statement, Carl XVI. Gustaf, king of Sweden, announced a full scale assault on Poltava:

"We our confident that our 7th Motorized Femboy Brigade will swiftly take back the area on behalf of the Swedish Crown"
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2968 on: February 26, 2022, 12:38:53 AM »

I thought it was twitter propaganda but wow this seems to be going into Winter war 2.0 which would be impressive considering Ukraines terrain is much worse to defend than Finland.

Genuinely asking, can Ukraine actually win this thing? Or are they just gonna make sh*t suck for the VDV while still not being able to successfully hold back all of the mechanized battalions?
The latter unfortunately but this was supposed to be the easier part for Russia, if this part has been a bloody struggle then I don’t see how if and when an insurgency starts that Russia doesn’t crumble
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2969 on: February 26, 2022, 12:42:46 AM »

Honestly, I think winning looks like the Ukrainian army trades causalities favorably and remains an effective fighting force that seamlessly transitions into a large scale armed resistance.

But praying for miracles doesn’t hurt.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2970 on: February 26, 2022, 12:48:06 AM »

he'll get his ass beat
imagine him 1v1 the mayor of kyiv

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2971 on: February 26, 2022, 12:48:32 AM »

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2972 on: February 26, 2022, 01:02:36 AM »

I don't think Putin is this dumb. If he attacked Sweden and/or Finland, it would be a completely different ball game. IMO, they should already be in NATO, but I doubt it would matter. At that point, even die-hard Putin appeasers in Europe would be able to see his endgame. Norway, even if they're not attacked, I bet would swiftly respond. The Nordic countries are too close culturally to stand by when the others are invaded I believe. This would then likely pull in Poland and then the rest of Europe, and then probably the US into war, which would absolutely decimate Russia militarily.
wouldnt this trigger a coup in moscow?

I mean, hopefully. After all, I don't want Russian civilians to suffer or die, even as much as I find myself being more and more rabidly pro-involvement in the whole Ukranian invasion situation. I want Russia's military to be severely degraded and/or destroyed (if need be - and that is wholly up to them) so they can't bully smaller democratic countries anymore.

I would love it if the West came up with a way to impose sanctions so severe on the russian economy that Putin was overthrown from the inside by a fed-up russian populace and oligarchy, and the US ended up not having to fire a shot. Probably a pipe dream, I know, but that would be the ideal endgame.

If this war ends disastrously for Russia, there could be a coup to overthrow Putin by the Generals.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2973 on: February 26, 2022, 01:03:49 AM »

Zelensky alive and in Kyiv:

compucomp

« Reply #2974 on: February 26, 2022, 01:04:01 AM »

While people here are posting memes and Twitter posts about how the glorious Ukrainian army is winning everything and the Russians are burning in their tanks, here's a notice from the Ukrainian Interior Ministry relayed by CNN:

The Ukrainian Interior Ministry has warned civilians in the capital Kyiv that fighting is taking place on the streets.

In a Facebook post Saturday, the ministry said:

"Active fighting is taking place on the streets of our city. Please stay calm and be as careful as possible!
    If you're in the shelter, don't leave it now.
    If you are at home -- do not go close to the windows, do not go to the balconies. Hide indoors, for example in the bathroom, and cover yourself with something that will prevent injury from bullet fragments.
    If you hear sirens ("Air Alarm" signal) -- go immediately to the nearest shelter!"

So there is street fighting in the capital on the third day of the war. This is what Ukraine winning looks like? Someone compared this to the Winter War earlier, this is not even close to the Winter War.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 1169  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies