Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:09:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 385 386 387 388 389 [390] 391 392 393 394 395 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 916689 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9725 on: April 12, 2022, 05:26:43 AM »

Another pro-Russian post from you, surprise.

There were certainly "retired generals" who thought this war would be over in a few days.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #9726 on: April 12, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2022, 07:16:45 AM by Astatine »

First presidential & parliamentary poll since the beginning of the invasion:

Presidential election:
Zelenskyi 81.3%
Poroshenko 5.9%
Tymoshenko 2.2%
Smeshko 2.1%
Prytula 2.0%
Boyko 1.6%

Parliamentary election:
Servant of the People 52.0%
European Solidarity 12.6%
Party of Serhiy Prytula 9.5%
Batkivshchyna 5.2%
Strength and Honor 5.2%
Party of Dmytro Razumkov 3.9%
UDAR 3.1%
Opposition Platform - For Life 1.3%

Trust into politicians:
Zelenskyi 88% trust/10% distrust
Prytula 53%/27%
Poroshenko 23%/75%
Tymoshenko 19%/77%

Full poll: https://sapiens.com.ua/ua/publication-single-page?id=213
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9727 on: April 12, 2022, 08:23:30 AM »

I actually found this retired General on CNN more informative than a thread full of batsh**t crazy Twitter celebrations of misinterpreted meaninglessness whilst 1,000's of Ukrainians lose their lives daily.

It's not pro-Russian. Just trying to get an accurate read on where this is going without the horrendous bias the media puts on everything.

People are getting minced here.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9728 on: April 12, 2022, 08:33:22 AM »

The Butcher of Bucha is on the move.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/ukraine-and-pentagon-expect-russian-offensive-in-donbas/100984394

This new guy looks nasty.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9729 on: April 12, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »

Speaking of further military aid... hours after German foreign minister Annalena Baerbock proposed supplying Ukraine with "heavy weapons", Rheinmetall reported that they've got 50 decommissioned "Leopard 1" main battle tanks that they could send to the Ukrainian military. The idea was met with approval from the FDP and the Greens. Scholz reacted with greater reluctance, saying such deliveries should be coordinated on the EU level instead of acting unilaterally.

Following several calls from FDP and Greens, Michael Roth (chair of the Bundestag committee on foreign affairs) became the first prominent SPD politician to endorse delivering tanks to Ukraine, arguing that Ukraine must be provided with the necessary military capabilities to retake its Russian-occupied terrorities. One step further towards eroding Scholz' opposition, I guess.
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9730 on: April 12, 2022, 08:51:54 AM »

Zelenskyi has declared German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier (who used to be soft on Russia until February) persona non grata in Ukraine.
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #9731 on: April 12, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »

Zelenskyi has declared German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier (who used to be soft on Russia until February) persona non grata in Ukraine.

What? Is there any source for this?

I would also disagree with this 'soft'/'hard' ascriptions. Steinmeier has never been a pro-Russia hack like Schroeder but someone whose position (yes to economic cooperation!) probably resembled those of the average German quite closely.
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9732 on: April 12, 2022, 09:14:24 AM »

I would also disagree with this 'soft'/'hard' ascriptions. Steinmeier has never been a pro-Russia hack like Schroeder but someone whose position (yes to economic cooperation!) probably resembled those of the average German quite closely.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9733 on: April 12, 2022, 09:22:48 AM »

I actually found this retired General on CNN more informative than a thread full of batsh**t crazy Twitter celebrations of misinterpreted meaninglessness whilst 1,000's of Ukrainians lose their lives daily.

It's not pro-Russian. Just trying to get an accurate read on where this is going without the horrendous bias the media puts on everything.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want to see an end to the slaughter and bloodshed ASAP.

But one side has by far the most ability to make that happen - yes, I do mean the invader.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9734 on: April 12, 2022, 09:28:30 AM »

Further evidence how much Putin is detached from reality. We need to move ahead and deliver heavy weaponry.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9735 on: April 12, 2022, 09:51:48 AM »

Heroes:

It shouldn't be held against them if they surrender. They've already lasted nearly seven times longer than the fabled "Brest Fortress" Soviet defenders of 1941. 

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #9736 on: April 12, 2022, 09:59:53 AM »

That's a lot of excuses for someone claiming to be confident of victory.

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #9737 on: April 12, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »

5+ year marine for Ukraine and British national who fought against ISIS with the YPG has surrendered with his unit in Mariupol - Confirmed in a interview of his with Jake Hanrahan right before the surrender

His family requested to share "far and wide":

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #9738 on: April 12, 2022, 10:51:04 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2022, 10:56:44 AM by Storr »

That's a lot of excuses for someone claiming to be confident of victory.

Video with translation of Putin's remarks. He keeps pausing with "err..." and "umm...", looking his eyes looking upward several times. It's as if he's trying to convince himself of what he's saying. This definitely isn't the same confident Putin we saw on February 24th during his address announcing the "special military operation".  

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #9739 on: April 12, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »

The Russians so desperately wish they were fighting the US. Russian propaganda keeps talking about a "clash of civilizations", "putting the US in its place", and "ending the unipolar world". It's pretty pathetic, just like this attempt at desecrating Old Glory.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9740 on: April 12, 2022, 12:19:31 PM »

Perhaps my "Blazing Saddles" plan isn't too far fetched

Maybe the Ukraines can build a fake appliance store to draw the Russians in
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9741 on: April 12, 2022, 12:31:50 PM »

First presidential & parliamentary poll since the beginning of the invasion:

Presidential election:
Zelenskyi 81.3%
Poroshenko 5.9%
Tymoshenko 2.2%
Smeshko 2.1%
Prytula 2.0%
Boyko 1.6%

Parliamentary election:
Servant of the People 52.0%
European Solidarity 12.6%
Party of Serhiy Prytula 9.5%
Batkivshchyna 5.2%
Strength and Honor 5.2%
Party of Dmytro Razumkov 3.9%
UDAR 3.1%
Opposition Platform - For Life 1.3%

Trust into politicians:
Zelenskyi 88% trust/10% distrust
Prytula 53%/27%
Poroshenko 23%/75%
Tymoshenko 19%/77%

Full poll: https://sapiens.com.ua/ua/publication-single-page?id=213

I’m very ill-informed about Ukrainian politics beyond the absolute basics. Why is Tymoshenko so distrusted? Is just a general rejection of the old political class or did she do something?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9742 on: April 12, 2022, 01:03:27 PM »

While Germany is not doing enough in opinion, I don't think this is approriate. Not just has Steinmeier shown self-awareness in recent weeks, he's the head of state of a country that has still given more aid than any other.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9743 on: April 12, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2022, 01:09:02 PM by Person Man »

Perhaps my "Blazing Saddles" plan isn't too far fetched

Maybe the Ukraines can build a fake appliance store to draw the Russians in

Or liquor store.

In other news, apparently, according to Ukraine sources, the Ukrainians are approaching their 20000th kill. Should there be a prize for the person that makes the kill?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9744 on: April 12, 2022, 01:23:46 PM »

Ukrainian soldiers have captured Viktor Medvedchuk who, for some reason, was still in the country and was disguising himself as a Ukrainian soldier.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #9745 on: April 12, 2022, 01:30:43 PM »

Big news!
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #9746 on: April 12, 2022, 01:40:51 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want to see an end to the slaughter and bloodshed ASAP.

But one side has by far the most ability to make that happen - yes, I do mean the invader.

The invader winning wouldn't end the bloodshed, it would just start the full-blown genocide of the Ukrainian people and the ethnic cleansing of the country. The only way the bloodshed ends is if the Ukrainians win.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9747 on: April 12, 2022, 01:48:57 PM »

The invader winning wouldn't end the bloodshed, it would just start the full-blown genocide of the Ukrainian people and the ethnic cleansing of the country. The only way the bloodshed ends is if the Ukrainians win.

Ahem, have you ever read any of my posts in this thread?

I thought it was obvious that I meant the invaders WITHDRAWING.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #9748 on: April 12, 2022, 01:58:01 PM »

Ukrainian soldiers have captured Viktor Medvedchuk who, for some reason, was still in the country and was disguising himself as a Ukrainian soldier.
I'd assumed he'd left for Belarus or Russia when he'd escaped house arrest. Why would you escape house arrest while facing treason and terrorism charges, but not leave the country?

Like a good number of pro-Russian Ukrainian figures, Medvedchuk is from Russia. Unlike most of those, he's ethnically Ukrainian. He was born in Siberia where his father was exiled for "for participation in Ukrainian nationalistic activities" and didn't move to Ukraine until he was around 10 in the mid 60s.

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3455935-putin-ally-medvedchuk-detained-within-special-operation-of-ukraines-security-service.html

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9749 on: April 12, 2022, 02:06:22 PM »

I'd assumed he'd left for Belarus or Russia when he'd escaped house arrest. Why would you escape house arrest while facing treason and terrorism charges, but not leave the country?

He was one of the candidates Russia was allegedly considering for Emperor of Manchuria. A leader who stays, even one who stays in hiding, tends to command more legitimacy than someone who’s pulled a Ghani.
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 387 388 389 [390] 391 392 393 394 395 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies