COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:41:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116043 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: April 08, 2020, 02:05:21 AM »

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #726 on: April 08, 2020, 02:32:57 AM »

Bad and or sick guy.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #727 on: April 08, 2020, 04:32:06 AM »

The numbers of reported new cases and deaths appear to be the worst on Tuesdays across the board.  It's the flipside of the numbers going down every Sunday.  

We should be comparing week-to-week rather than day-to-day.

Week-to-week, new deaths have about doubled in the US this week, while new cases have risen about 50%.  Meanwhile, week-to-week new deaths and cases have fallen 20-25% in Italy and Spain.

^100%. Weekly, and eventually monthly averages, will tell us a lot more than the day to day numbers. The averages will be far more instructive than raw, day-to-day numbers.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #728 on: April 08, 2020, 05:29:43 AM »

Places like New Jersey, PA, Illinois, Florida, etc continue to register their largest daily numbers of cases. Why would anyone think that the number of cases countrywide would suddenly start taking a rapid dip?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #729 on: April 08, 2020, 06:41:00 AM »

Data as of Apr. 8 at 4:03 a.m

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

Cases:

Deaths:

Deaths, per state, raw:

Deaths, per state, per capita:

Totally 1939 deaths were registered yesterday of which 52% are from NY + NJ.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #730 on: April 08, 2020, 06:47:40 AM »

As it seems, the IHME model will be updated on daily basis as new data comes in.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

They revisited down a total deaths projection of US from ~80,000 to ~60,000 [31-126 thousands].
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #731 on: April 08, 2020, 07:30:39 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #732 on: April 08, 2020, 07:35:32 AM »

Worldometers says over 33,000 cases yesterday. What explains the discrepancy?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #733 on: April 08, 2020, 08:07:35 AM »

I live in an area of north Georgia that went 80+% for Trump in 2016.

People here still aren’t social distancing in large numbers. I still hear people using the “flu kills more people” argument. Or claiming that it’s just being overblown by the media. Or that it’s a liberal conspiracy to cause a recession because that’s the only way they think they can beat Trump.

Fortunately, my area is not heavily populated. Otherwise the idiocy would result in many more cases than we currently have.

I just don’t see how people can be so stupid.

Living through this, there is a clear divide in intelligence between those living in places where I live and those living in places that vote Democratic.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #734 on: April 08, 2020, 08:17:37 AM »

Timing I suspect, I have not been following the US numbers in detail, but I know that Worldometers often gets the Swiss numbers wrong if they miss one one of the larger cantons that release their numbers in the evening. As they are showing 27k cases for the US on Monday and 33k for Tuesday, I expect it's a similar issue where someone released some data that Worldometers didn't pick up until the next day - they're a pretty good aggregator by all means, but I wouldn't take their word as gospel.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #735 on: April 08, 2020, 08:57:02 AM »

People here still aren’t social distancing in large numbers. I still hear people using the “flu kills more people” argument. Or claiming that it’s just being overblown by the media. Or that it’s a liberal conspiracy to cause a recession because that’s the only way they think they can beat Trump.

Fortunately, my area is not heavily populated. Otherwise the idiocy would result in many more cases than we currently have.

Living through this, there is a clear divide in intelligence between those living in places where I live and those living in places that vote Democratic.

I've said much of the same thing about people who I've had to interact with-though fortunately, I've been able to stay home most of the time. The unfortunate reality is that many people will not take this seriously, and will not take steps to protect themselves, unless if they are mandated to do so, and unless if they are personally affected by the virus.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #736 on: April 08, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »

Flu kills more than 500,000 per year. Legit.
Media has overblown it by 400,000%. Legit.

It's a tough debate that needs to be had. You are lucky your population density is low despite being a dense intellect population.

Locking down society where a tiny percentage of the population will even get it, and 0.7% of that proportion will die is tolerable for a finite period.

But we need a solution.

Maybe we could copy Midsommar in a happier sense and send all the over 72's on a Cruise to Malaysia. No wait....that might not work.

My point is we cannot just listen to medical professionals say 12 months of isolation will result in zero infections. And that is what the Australian Chief Medical Officer is saying on TV. Our infection rate is the lowest in the world most likely because of our hot weather.

Anyway, best of luck to my US friends. Australia wont do anything about lifting restrictions until the Trumposaurus does something first.

We copied all his moves going in and will do the same coming out.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #737 on: April 08, 2020, 09:20:37 AM »

Thankfully ny grandparents are healthy, in their 70s, and live on their own but if this was happening to them, I think my mom and aunts would burn that place to the ground,
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2020, 09:51:44 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2020, 10:04:56 AM by Jacobin American »

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »

I am ashamed of our president.

Republicans should be ashamed as well.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »

If this doesn't discriminate by religion, I think I'm okay with this. As long as mosques, synagogues, Buddhist monasteries, Hindu temples, Wiccan covens, Scientology centers, and Ramtha's School of Enlightenment all get equal funds for their size, I don't think it should violate the 1st Amendment, and I say this as an irreligious person.

That being said, I have no faith in this administration to enact this in any kind of equal manner. It's hard to tell from the article what organizations are eligible, since the writer seems to be using "churches" and "faith-based institutions" interchangeably.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #741 on: April 08, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/08/trump-evangelicals-coronavirus-china-174197

President Donald Trump’s evangelical boosters want China to pay a price for its handling of the coronavirus — preferably before voters deliver their verdict on Trump at ballot boxes this fall.

While Trump has vacillated between lauding China’s “transparency” and labeling Covid-19 the “Chinese virus,” some senior officials in his administration have lobbed their own criticisms at Beijing for its ongoing response to the coronavirus outbreak, which is widely believed to have originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. In mid-March, White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien claimed China “cost the world community two months” of preparation by concealing the extent of the outbreak in Wuhan.

So does America also get reparations for the damage caused by Trump downplaying the threat of COVID-19, encouraging his supporters and Fox News to treat it as a new hoax, and generally wasting valuable time pretending it wasn't a problem while it spread throughout the country?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #742 on: April 08, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »

United States deports Haitians despite coronavirus fears

Some U.S. lawmakers, immigration advocates and Haitian human rights activists said it was irresponsible for the United States to continue deportations to Haiti, which is ill-equipped to contain any outbreak of disease due to inadequate sanitation infrastructure and healthcare services.

The densely populated country last month closed its borders after detecting its first two cases of the novel coronavirus, which causes the respiratory illness COVID-19, a tally that has since risen to 25 compared to more than 380,000 in the United States.

None of the deportees on Tuesday had any symptoms before boarding the flight, although they had not been tested for the virus and could be asymptomatic, Haiti’s foreign minister, Claude Joseph, told a virtual news conference.
There is no other characterization of this act other then being one borne out of pure maliciousness.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2020, 11:58:21 AM by GP270watch »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/08/trump-evangelicals-coronavirus-china-174197

President Donald Trump’s evangelical boosters want China to pay a price for its handling of the coronavirus — preferably before voters deliver their verdict on Trump at ballot boxes this fall.

While Trump has vacillated between lauding China’s “transparency” and labeling Covid-19 the “Chinese virus,” some senior officials in his administration have lobbed their own criticisms at Beijing for its ongoing response to the coronavirus outbreak, which is widely believed to have originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. In mid-March, White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien claimed China “cost the world community two months” of preparation by concealing the extent of the outbreak in Wuhan.

So does America also get reparations for the damage caused by Trump downplaying the threat of COVID-19, encouraging his supporters and Fox News to treat it as a new hoax, and generally wasting valuable time pretending it wasn't a problem while it spread throughout the country?

This is not a winning tactic for Trump outside of his base. Any intelligent person will ask why Trump ignored warnings from our own intelligence agencies. Even his own advisors told him the situation in China was worse than it was being portrayed and it was a real threat for the entire world and The United States.

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2020, 11:51:03 AM »

Whitmer screwed up big by trying to stop a drug that saved the life of one of her fellow Democratic lawmakers life. She even said the President saved her life. Thank you President Trump!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #746 on: April 08, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »

Whitmer screwed up big by trying to stop a drug that saved the life of one of her fellow Democratic lawmakers life. She even said the President saved her life. Thank you President Trump!

I'd bet my house that the real story here is considerably different from how Trump's errand boy presents it.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #747 on: April 08, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »

This is such a reliable source /s
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #748 on: April 08, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »

This is such a reliable source /s

She said on TV too
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #749 on: April 08, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »

I'd bet my house that the real story here is considerably different from how Trump's errand boy presents it.

Per https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Democratic-state-rep-explains-why-she-opted-for-unproven-COVID-19-treatment-not-hospital-569461601.html

"You go to the hospital, you're going with no one,” she said. "All I could think of is...if I go in here, I may not come out."

The first term representative asked the doctor who wrote her the prescription to take the COVID-19 test if he would prescribe her with hydroxychloroquine. It’s a disease-modifying agent and an anti-malaria drug that President Donald Trump has touted frequently as a treatment of the coronavirus, but the FDA says there is no proven treatment for COVID-19. Additionally, the New York Times recently reported the president has a small financial stake in the company that produces the brand-name of the drug.

”If he had not been pushing it on a federal level, I would have not had access to it, and I would not be alive today,” she said.

”It was just out of nowhere, like, you literally had no time to think,” Whitsett said.

"You go to the hospital, you're going with no one,” she said. "All I could think of is...if I go in here, I may not come out."

”If he had not been pushing it on a federal level, I would have not had access to it, and I would not be alive today,” she said.

"If you have an opportunity to receive something, and it's a choice between taking this pill and a machine to keep you breathing, you tell me what your choice would be,” Whitsett said.

"Men and women crying and thanking me for speaking out and putting people over politics,” Whitsett said.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies