Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:02:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Poll
Question: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?  (Read 26556 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

Romney, at least, wouldn't be meeting Democrats for the first time when stepping into the Senate.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »

Yes.  Executive experience is  more helpful than Legislative.

Right.

Being mayor of a town of five thousand and spending two years as governor of one of the smallest states in the union is much more helpful to a commander in chief than serving on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee or the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Or were you referring to her executive experience as Miss Alaska?
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »

Well Jesus, let's put this woman second in line to be in charge of the military.

Some would have greater doubts putting Obama in charge of the military.

KKK?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »

Well Jesus, let's put this woman second in line to be in charge of the military.

Why?

To put it most charitably: Obama = Carter the Second.

Why?  ('ll just repeat the question until you actually answer it.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:59 AM »

An interesting line of criticism. You should consider e-mailing it to McCain and the RNC for consideration.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

Why?

So this election is Carter II vs Bush III
Wow
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:22 AM »

Yes.  Executive experience is  more helpful than Legislative.

Right.

Being mayor of a town of five thousand and spending two years as governor of one of the smallest states in the union is much more helpful to a commander in chief than serving on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee or the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Or were you referring to her executive experience as Miss Alaska?

It's important to remember that one of the most important things that a president does is worth with the senate.  Personally, I think McCain and Obama both have gotten a tremendous amount of executive experience from running their own presidential campaigns.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »

Seems so.  She was born in Idaho, isn't a convicted felon, and is well over 35 years old.  

I may have to buy some TRP.  I sold a hundred shares of ID at Scottrade after a spike and have been looking for a short-term investment.  Now that she has given the state authority to give them that pipeline deal, and getting nominated two days later, they're bound to be up as long as McCain/Paulin look competitive.  There was a spike Wednesday from 37.62 to 38.40, after the announcement that Paulin gave TransCanada the contract, but oddly there wasn't one today.  I may be reading this wrong.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »

An interesting line of criticism. You should consider e-mailing it to McCain and the RNC for consideration.

As much as you (and Jsorjourner) sneer at the implication, it is still real: military people, in combat service, and their families, don't feel liberal Democrats have their, or American strategic, interests at heart when the Democrat serves as commander-in-chief. Not that Carter presented himself as a liberal in 1976, but his diffidence towards Iran in office only made him appear that much worse.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »

Comparing her experience with Obama's is ridiculous. Obama has been a US senator, serving on the foreign relations committee. Before that was a constitutional law professor and a state senator in one of the country's largest states.

You cannot compare 4 years as a United States Senator with less than 2 years as the governor of a state with fewer people than most major cities. Is the mayor of Louisville qualified to be president? And before she was governor, she was the mayor of a town with 6000 people -- far less than Obama even represented as a state senator.

I realize the pick has some strengths. She's very popular in Alaska (even among Democrats) and she's known to be fairly charismatic and smart. But the experience issue is totally neutralized here. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »

As much as you (and Jsorjourner) sneer at the implication, it is still real: military people, in combat service, and their families, don't feel liberal Democrats have their, or American strategic, interests at heart when the Democrat serves as commander-in-chief. Not that Carter presented himself as a liberal in 1976, but his diffidence towards Iran in office only made him appear that much worse.

Carter was anything but indifferent to Iran.  He did everything he could.  Just as Ronald Reagan did everything he could to get hostages released from Lebanon.

You are probably right that military people -- those in combat -- don't think Obama has their interests at heart.  And that's a shame.  Because he does.  And McCain, I am sincerely shocked to say, doesn't seem to.  Which one wants to fight the terrorists where they are, not where they dream they are?  Which one wants to fully equip the troops, not whine about "the Army you have"?  Which one supports the G-I bill?  Which one wants full health care for all veterans, not spurious health insurance cards that may or may not get them coverage?  Which one wants PTSD recognized and treated as a serious disorder?  

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama has more support from retired Admirals and Generals than McCain does.  Kerry certainly did.  

But you're right.  The average combat soldier doesn't trust Democrats.  Why?  Because Rush, Liddy and Ollie North tell them what to think.  
prometheus
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.61, S: 0.09

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2008, 11:04:58 AM »

In the interest of being fair and bipartisan, neither Palin nor Obama has sufficient "work experience" to be the President of the United States.  They are both affirmative action, identity politics picks.

Of course, there are many admittedly "qualified" candidates such as Romney or Cheney who should, in my opinion, not have any chance to sit in the Oval Office.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »

The population of Alaska is about the same as the population (a little less, actually) of Austin, TX, my home town. The current mayor has been mayor since 2003, over twice as long as Mrs. Palin. Is he qualified to be President?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:45 AM »

I'd probably be doing the same to other forum members here if I wanted to.  But I'll pass.  Smiley

I'd take that bet, If I didn't value my privacy and my career. No advanced degrees, though.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2008, 11:10:57 AM »

The population of Alaska is about the same as the population (a little less, actually) of Austin, TX, my home town. The current mayor has been mayor since 2003, over twice as long as Mrs. Palin. Is he qualified to be President?
Is he young?Is he a FILF(father i'd like to...)?If so,then hell yeah!
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »

The former Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska...

The current, first term governor of a state with 600-thousand residents...

The former Miss Alaska....

Versus...

A former editor of the Harvard Law Review...

A former, multi-term state senator in a populous state...

A former community organizer in America's third largest city...

A first term Senator with experience on the Foreign Relations and Armed Services committee...

Well put.  An executive versus someone who just plays lefty politics.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »

Seems so.  She was born in Idaho, isn't a convicted felon, and is well over 35 years old.

Just for the record, convicted felons aren't constitutionally ineligible.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

McCain has more than 22 years of executive experience. (Military).

Palin has a little over 7 years.

"The one" and Crazy Joe have ZERO.

Oh I apologize...I forgot about her two years on the Wasilla City Council before she was mayor of the metropolis.

And she was head of the "Fellowship of Christian Athletes" at her high school.  Pretty heady stuff.

Feh on Obama for that little Harvard Law Review nonsense.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »

In the interest of being fair and bipartisan, neither Palin nor Obama has sufficient "work experience" to be the President of the United States.  They are both affirmative action, identity politics picks.

Of course, there are many admittedly "qualified" candidates such as Romney or Cheney who should, in my opinion, not have any chance to sit in the Oval Office.

There is a pretty big difference there.  Obama was voted for by the people while Palin was merely selected by McCain.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »

I think she's a pretty good choice.  She's qualified to be president--qualifications are pretty minimal.  George Bush and Barack Obama are both qualified, after all--and she's not bad looking.  anyone find any pics of her nude?  I've been searching but haven't found any yet.  There are some of her playing basketball in high school.  And a VOGUE cover that's not bad.  

I think once folks get over the fact that it's a blatant attempt to win female voters--those who are still pissed at Howard Dean and company for backing Obama over Clinton, and those who are still undecided--then they'll realize that she's a pretty good pick.  I think she'll appeal to the culturally convservative base.  And being a mother she'll appeal to mammals in general.  (Although, as a mother of five you gotta wonder if she really has time for the job.)  Apparently she named her youngest boy after a math class, which is kind of weird.  But I like weird.

I still like Obama better than McCain, but I think McCain's VP pick will probably help him more than hurt him.

Let me know if y'all find any hot images of Sarah, though.  Seriously.

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

McCain has more than 22 years of executive experience. (Military).

Palin has a little over 7 years.

"The one" and Crazy Joe have ZERO.

Military experience does'nt equal executive experience.  Unless he was a general/admiral I doubt it qualifies as more executive experience than Obama leading in community organizing or Biden helping out workers during strikes.  You're grasping at straws.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:13 AM »

Carter was anything but indifferent to Iran.  He did everything he could.  Just as Ronald Reagan did everything he could to get hostages released from Lebanon.

You are probably right that military people -- those in combat -- don't think Obama has their interests at heart.  And that's a shame.  Because he does.  And McCain, I am sincerely shocked to say, doesn't seem to.  Which one wants to fight the terrorists where they are, not where they dream they are?  Which one wants to fully equip the troops, not whine about "the Army you have"?  Which one supports the G-I bill?  Which one wants full health care for all veterans, not spurious health insurance cards that may or may not get them coverage?  Which one wants PTSD recognized and treated as a serious disorder?  

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama has more support from retired Admirals and Generals than McCain does.  Kerry certainly did.  

But you're right.  The average combat soldier doesn't trust Democrats.  Why?  Because Rush, Liddy and Ollie North tell them what to think.  

I don't think that mistrust comes from Liddy and North -- that is far too simplistic a reason.

I think, fundamentally, it all stems from Vietnam -- liberal Democrats from that era have never forgiven the US military for all and sundry excesses against Viet Cong and Southeast Asian civilians in general. Reagan, and Republicans since, by marked contrast, never apologized for, nor even felt the need to apologize, for Vietnam, or for the broader place of the military as an institution in American life.

The Army is not simply as an alternative means of social welfare, as a way for stupid men with strong backs to escape poverty in W Va, or as yet another Congressional pork scheme to divert tax dollars to South Mississippi or wherever. The Marines are as much a calling as teaching (the pay is low enough), and not just a place for Scotch-Irish sociopaths from the mountains to exercise their bloodlust.

In that sense, the military's mistrust of liberal Democrats won't end until Vietnam no longer registers as a political force within the mainstream of the party.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »

remember the Republicans attacking Edwards in 2004 on experience....?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »

The former Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska...

The current, first term governor of a state with 600-thousand residents...

The former Miss Alaska....

Versus...

A former editor of the Harvard Law Review...

A former, multi-term state senator in a populous state...

A former community organizer in America's third largest city...

A first term Senator with experience on the Foreign Relations and Armed Services committee...

Well put.  An executive versus someone who just plays lefty politics.

Then fine!  You don't like his leftie politics.  But don't argue that she has more experience.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2008, 11:35:51 AM »

not that I believe in "being qualified" but by any objective standard the answer is, quite clearly, "no."  it should be noted that she isn't running for president.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies