Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 08:26:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Poll
Question: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?  (Read 26605 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »

I like when the secularists get really pissed off about the oh so very important issue of whether or not to teach evolution! The best part? She supports teaching both and they still get pissy.

Well, you decided to scarecrow my point instead of addressing it, so I guess I don't have to respond to this.

(Using verbage like saying disagreement is "getting pissy," or "whining," etc., is really un-charming.)

Oh, I fervently disagree. "Pissy" is a charming word...sp quaint and cute.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »

As usual, it's nice to see the independents and undecideds show their true colors.  I'm amused.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »

And what's your point? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you one of those that brush off abortion as a mostly "unimportant issue" but see evolution vs. creationism as a top priority?

I don't brush off abortion as an unimportant issue.  It's probably philosophically the most important issue today.

I don't think creationism vs. evolutionism is a huge, massive deal.  It's just one of the few issues where I think one argument just doesn't make much sense.  That doesn't mean I feel super-passionately about it.  I don't.

Good thing I'm not trying to charm you.  Wink

Of course, you let your exotic accent and classic good looks do that for you Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2008, 01:56:44 PM »

And what's your point? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you one of those that brush off abortion as a mostly "unimportant issue" but see evolution vs. creationism as a top priority?

I don't brush off abortion as an unimportant issue.  It's probably philosophically the most important issue today.

I don't think creationism vs. evolutionism is a huge, massive deal.  It's just one of the few issues where I think one argument just doesn't make much sense.  That doesn't mean I feel super-passionately about it.  I don't.

Good thing I'm not trying to charm you.  Wink

Of course, you let your exotic accent and classic good looks do that for you Wink

Alcon, Alcon, Alcon. You make it so tough to hate you.

Wink
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »

Is she qualified? I don't know. She's certainly not more qualified than Obama.

though Palin does make some sense: she might help him reach out to women voters, isn't a rich prick like Romney, and definately helps shore up the base, she undercuts McCain's two strongest attacks against Obama: that he's not ready, and that he's an affirmative action pick. Furthermore, she accentuates perhaps his biggest weakness: he's old. He looks old. Her standing next to him makes him look even older.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »

It's as if someone strongly supporting teaching in schools that all apples are red. It isn't true and that's well known. So if if someone is seriously pushing for that, they should be vigorously opposed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »

It's as if someone strongly supporting teaching in schools that all apples are red. It isn't true and that's well known. So if if someone is seriously pushing for that, they should be vigorously opposed.

Roll Eyes

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »

Palin supports teaching creationism in schools. Bitch is crazier than she looks.

She does? 

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information."

–Sarah Palin

You are doing a lot of heavy lifting for Palin today Moderate. Is she setting you "straight" or something. Tongue

I was completely taken by surprise by the announcement, and in a very positive way.  I had always liked Palin, thought her to be one of the best choice McCain could make, and assumed there was no way in hell it would ever happen.

I've always had a soft spot for female politicians, but it seems that's as much a gay stereotype than interior designing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2008, 02:05:05 PM »

Furthermore, she accentuates perhaps his biggest weakness: he's old. He looks old. Her standing next to him makes him look even older.

Actually, it does the opposite, odd as that may sound.  It'll make Biden look younger too.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2008, 02:06:48 PM »

Palin supports teaching creationism in schools. Bitch is crazier than she looks.

She does? 

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information."

–Sarah Palin

You are doing a lot of heavy lifting for Palin today Moderate. Is she setting you "straight" or something. Tongue

I was completely taken by surprise by the announcement, and in a very positive way.  I had always liked Palin, thought her to be one of the best choice McCain could make, and assumed there was no way in hell it would ever happen.

I've always had a soft spot for female politicians, but it seems that's as much a gay stereotype than interior designing.

Really? I thought Palin was a terrible choice. Though that might change if she gets McCain 100% of the heterosexual male vote. Wink
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2008, 02:08:24 PM »

Roll Eyes

It's the same level of absurdity as teaching creationism, or even insisting on parity with evolution. It is known to be false. Hence the example.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2008, 02:11:17 PM »

Roll Eyes

It's the same level of absurdity as teaching creationism, or even insisting on parity with evolution. It is known to be false. Hence the example.

Except the idea of creationism is often more complex than just saying, "God just put humans on the planet as humans. The end."

You can't say that the idea of God playing a role in evolution is known to be false.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2008, 02:13:21 PM »

Roll Eyes

Except the idea of creationism is often more complex than just saying, "God just put humans on the planet as humans. The end."

You can't say that the idea of God playing a role in evolution is known to be false.

That's not creationism. Creationsim posits that the earth is around 10,000 years old. This is known to be false. You are referring to intelligent design, a theory which has no evidence and is not scientific. But it is not creationism, to which I was referring.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »

I like when the secularists get really pissed off about the oh so very important issue of whether or not to teach evolution! The best part? She supports teaching both and they still get pissy.

Can somebody here please explain to me how drug resistant TB came to be? Did the heavens open up and an angry god step down and said " and there shall be drug resistant TB". Or was it magic? In fact it was evolution and there is no two ways around it. We can't observe evolution in human or in other bigger species just because their generation time is huge. But bacteria's generation times are fractions of days and thus we can observe a huge number of generations of them. Thus it can and has been proved that evolution works through the observation of bacteria. Guppies are another prominent example since they also live,reproduce and die quickly. Teaching ID in classrooms would be a disservice to science and the kids themselves. You want to teach it in a church or a philosophy class that's fine, but if anyone tries to teach my kids creationism I will get way more "pissy" than I am right now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »

To Palin's credit , I don't think this is something she's thought about deeply

What on earth would give you that idea, Alcon?  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »

That's not creationism. Creationsim posits that the earth is around 10,000 years old. This is known to be false. You are referring to intelligent design, a theory which has no evidence and is not scientific. But it is not creationism, to which I was referring.

Ah, yes. I can't keep track of the names these days.

"Intelligent design" might not be purely scientific but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be discussed. I am totally in favor of an education plan that focuses mostly on evolution. Believe it or not, we big, bad, backwards Roman Catholics believe in evolution! Shocking, right?

However, we do believe in God having a role in it. I don't see what is so wrong with informing students that these are mainstream beliefs in how man came to be. Maybe it shouldn't be in "science" class. I guess we have to be even more PC and create another department for it.  Roll Eyes
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »

She said that creationism doesn't have to be part of the curriculum, just that it should be discussed and debated if it comes up. Palin stopped well short of saying that creationism should get equal status with evolution in the classroom as an equally respectable theory.

I don't think there is any "there," here, and I am pretty militant on this issue.

Yeah she isn't a militant creationist but she is pretty damn ignorant about the subject. Or she was trying to get the fundie vote. Oh well.....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »

Teaching ID in classrooms would be a disservice to science and the kids themselves. You want to teach it in a church or a philosophy class that's fine, but if anyone tries to teach my kids creationism I will get way more "pissy" than I am right now.

Someone needs to chill!

By the way, this attitude is just as annoying as those that could factually claim that evolution is still just a theory and shouldn't be passed off as fact.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2008, 02:23:04 PM by Torie »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

God is an agent of change Sbane, just like "the Messiah." He gets bored and stirs the pot. I hope that helps you with some of this.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »

God is an agent of change Sbane, just like "the Messiah." He gets bored and stirs the pot. I hope that helps you with some of this.

BS Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »

Teaching ID in classrooms would be a disservice to science and the kids themselves. You want to teach it in a church or a philosophy class that's fine, but if anyone tries to teach my kids creationism I will get way more "pissy" than I am right now.

Someone needs to chill!

By the way, this attitude is just as annoying as those that could factually claim that evolution is still just a theory and shouldn't be passed off as fact.

Oh I'm straight chillin' dawg don't you worry about it. So the truth is annoying to you? lol.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »

Someone needs to chill!

Oh I'm straight chillin' dawg don't you worry about it. So the truth is annoying to you? lol.

What truth? Did you even read about my stance on this or are you being your usual self?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »

BS Tongue

That is why you and I are ending up in the same place, even though you expect miracles right here on earth in the interim, while all I expect is tax bills. Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »

No they weren't.  Obama started running for President when people couldn't even properly pronounce his name.  Even Dick Durbin said so last night.

They all started in the previous election cycle. Palin has two months.

Vice President

Most people have no clue who most VP picks are, when they are chosen.  The average voter didn' know who Joe Biden was, until a few days back.

Soulty's right.  We have to stop confusing political junkies like us with the rest of America.  Ordinary folks are just now getting acquainted with Joe Biden...even though he's run for President twice.  The VP nomineed just isn't on the radar screen of anyone but armchair prognosticators.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »

Someone needs to chill!

What truth? Did you even read about my stance on this or are you being your usual self?

Oh vow you admitted that ID should not be taught in "science" classes. But still kids must be informed somehow that some retards out there won't accept science? Wow a great leap you have made sir. Do you want a cookie?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies