So Russia and Georgia just went to war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:04:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So Russia and Georgia just went to war
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Author Topic: So Russia and Georgia just went to war  (Read 35599 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2008, 01:42:23 AM »

CNN:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Anyone feel it getting a little Cold?

Russia's too big for us to be on its wrong side for long. Bush can do this since he'll be out soon.

Russia is a joke. They never ever had a lead in the Cold War ever. We'd own them in a month or less.

Ha. Good one.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2008, 01:47:28 AM »

Why does Georgia want to keep these areas so badly anyway? Is having your country look bigger on a map that important?

Don't know. Where is this important pipeline to be located everyone is talking about? Anywhere near S.O.?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:47 AM »

Why does Georgia want to keep these areas so badly anyway? Is having your country look bigger on a map that important?

As I understand it, 'South Ossetia' is an intrusion south of the Caucausus mountains, which form the northern natural defense of Georgia.  The other breakaway region is also south of these mountains and represents a large part of the coast of the country.  So I think these are pretty awkward regions to lose strategically - of course Georgia's position is pretty much untenable anyway.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2008, 03:05:04 AM by PPTE Meeker »

And to go off what opebo said, I think it may also have to do with not wanting to give into the demands of the break-aways. If they start to disintegrate, where do they stop?

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2008, 03:24:52 AM »

They've fought wars, had referendums clearly stating the population's wish to leave Georgia, and they are basically their own country right now anyway (they simply don't have international recognition).

And it's a question about having these autonomous areas in general. Why does Italy want to keep South Tryol so badly, for example? It just doesn't make sense to me. They give them so much autonomy--why not just let them leave?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2008, 04:25:51 AM »

I'm not sure how (I've been busy with research), but this somehow ties into Kosovo -- Russia is "liberating" "oppressed" Ossetians in Georgia in the way "NATO" "liberated" "oppressed" Kosovar Muslims in Serbia. But damned if the Georgians expect the European NATO members to do a thing about it, since they didn't do a thing in the Balkans as well. The US can't, either -- not because of nuclear fears, but simply because the country is too far away from any real ally.
Have you looked at a map recently?  Turkey and Iraq are right next door.  Greece, Kuwait and Israel aren't to much further.  We flew tons of sorties out of the middle of Missouri when we invaded Iraq.

Again, it won't be lack of ability that keeps the US from helping the Georgians defend themselves.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »

The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2008, 10:26:22 AM »

We should be giving air support to the Georgians.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

Like I said in the other thread, Georgia is a very key country in that area. Look at where its at. Iran and Iraq are just a skip and a hop away. Georgia had 2,000 troops in Iraq helping us, we owe them help.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »

Latest news says that Comrade Joe's hometown has fallen to the Russians.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2008, 12:39:58 PM by 我寻找感觉和方向 »

The problem with these articles, and with this war in general is that we just have: "Georgian official says", "Russian official says", who to trust...?

With hope to have more "according to our reporter..."
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »

Like I said in the other thread, Georgia is a very key country in that area. Look at where its at. Iran and Iraq are just a skip and a hop away. Georgia had 2,000 troops in Iraq helping us, we owe them help.

If it is limited to air support fine. But if we truly get involved, and I mean in a shooting war with the Russians, whats to stop them from widening the conflict to the Baltic states that are in no position to defend themselves? At the end of the day we can't stop the Russians from doing what they want with air power alone.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »

If it is limited to air support fine. But if we truly get involved, and I mean in a shooting war with the Russians, whats to stop them from widening the conflict to the Baltic states that are in no position to defend themselves? At the end of the day we can't stop the Russians from doing what they want with air power alone.

But, but... we're America!
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »

But, but... we're America!

We are not superman. We would need approval to use either Turkish, Armenian, Azeri, or Iranian(highly unlikely) airspace. The first three have concrete reasons why they would not want to give us permission to use their airspace to kill Russians, and the later for obvious reasons are enjoying themselves at the moment. Second, this is a lot more like Kosovo in terms of terrain than Gulf War I, and are air strikes weren't particularly effective against the Serbian army. Its unclear how much they would slow down the Russians.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »

We could with big Nukes! Cheesy Just Picking.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »

Latest news says that Comrade Joe's hometown has fallen to the Russians.
Seems that Georgia evacuated the town hours ago, but the Russians have not entered it... at least hadn't two hours ago.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2008, 01:55:46 PM »

Still hard to get a feel for how exactly things are going (and the propaganda is getting ridiculous) but I suspect there's at least a 50-50 chance the Russians may try to simply go for the quick kill now rather than wait it out.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »

You guys are giving the Russian military WAY to much credit here.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »

The US can't, either -- not because of nuclear fears, but simply because the country is too far away from any real ally.

They could theoretically use Turkish airbases, but I doubt the Turks or NATO are in much of a mood to engage in a full-scale shooting war with Russia.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

The US can't, either -- not because of nuclear fears, but simply because the country is too far away from any real ally.

They could theoretically use Turkish airbases, but I doubt the Turks or NATO are in much of a mood to engage in a full-scale shooting war with Russia.

Hmm... I wonder who would push the red button first?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1831523,00.html
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »

I agree.  These people want to swallow the lies their leaders tell them.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »

Important parts:

Something tells me this is motivated less by nationalism than by the poor state of the Russian lower class.

A depressingly common facet of 21st century warfare.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2008, 03:19:59 PM »

So, what do you guys think the chances of Russian tanks rolling into Tbilisi are?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »

If Russia takes over the country, they wouldn't actually annex it, would they? They'd just install some sort of puppet government. Annexing countries isn't really "in" anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies