So Russia and Georgia just went to war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:21:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So Russia and Georgia just went to war
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: So Russia and Georgia just went to war  (Read 35534 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »

If Russia tries to occupy Georgia proper (most likely with a puppet government rather than annexation if they do) I'd say South Lebanon would be a more apt analogy than Sudetenland.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2008, 06:14:08 PM »

I place blame on both countries but this should be a short, quick war in which Russia defeats Georgia in about a week and a half and South Ossentia gets what it wants.
Pretty much this. I don't expect this war too last much longer than 2 or 3 weeks.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2008, 07:09:54 PM »

I place blame on both countries but this should be a short, quick war in which Russia defeats Georgia in about a week and a half and South Ossentia gets what it wants.
Pretty much this. I don't expect this war too last much longer than 2 or 3 weeks.

Isn't that what they said about Chechnya?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »

Yes but there won't be the kind of resistance in Georgia as there was in Chechnya after the Russians are finished defeating the Georgians. I expect there to be a fairly strong insurgency for quite a while but it is nothing the Russians won't be able to handle.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »

Yes but there won't be the kind of resistance in Georgia as there was in Chechnya after the Russians are finished defeating the Georgians. I expect there to be a fairly strong insurgency for quite a while but it is nothing the Russians won't be able to handle.

Doubtful. If anything it'd be much worse than Chechnya. Georgia is a country prone to guerrilla warfare and the Turks and Azeris will be sure to provide any insurgency with a steady supply of weapons.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »

Doubtful. If anything it'd be much worse than Chechnya. Georgia is a country prone to guerrilla warfare and the Turks and Azeris will be sure to provide any insurgency with a steady supply of weapons.
I agree with the Azeris for sure but I am doubtful with the Turks supplying the Georgians with anything. Also there will be a significant part of the population that will colaborate with the Russians.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »

I strongly disagree.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »

How do you figure exactly? Georgia is something like 80% ethnic Georgian with some Azeris, Armenians, and very few Russians. That's comparable to the 90% figure of Chechens in Chechnya. And if anything, arms will be easier to come by considering Georgia's neighbors.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »

I agree with the Azeris for sure but I am doubtful with the Turks supplying the Georgians with anything. Also there will be a significant part of the population that will colaborate with the Russians.
Why do you think some Georgians would collaborate with the Russians? I'm sure most of them despite Russia by now (outside of Abkhazia and South Ossetia of course).

BTW, Russia has accused Turkey of supporting Georgia by supplying it with weapons and ammuniton (story here). What Russia is hoping to achieve by angering Turkey I can't fathom.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2008, 07:45:08 PM by Evilmexicandictator »

Why do you think some Georgians would collaborate with the Russians? I'm sure most of them despite Russia by now (outside of Abkhazia and South Ossetia of course).

BTW, Russia has accused Turkey of supporting Georgia by supplying it with weapons and ammuniton (story here). What Russia is hoping to achieve by angering Turkey I can't fathom.
I meant ethnic Russians.

Well it seems like I am being proven wrong here but still I wouldn't expect an insurgency to the scale of Chechnya.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »

I meant ethnic Russians.

Russians are only 5.7% of the population. This isn't like the Ukraine or Estonia were large portions of the population are Russian or think of themselves as Russian.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »

I know they only make up 6% of the population but it doesn't take much to come up with an occupation force and base of support among the populace, especially if you are Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Ossetians make up a large part of it.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2008, 07:49:22 PM »

I know they only make up 6% of the population but it doesn't take much to come up with an occupation force and base of support among the populace, especially if you are Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Ossetians make up a large part of it.

Chechnya has a Russian population that is nearly as large, 3.7% versus 5.7%, and it was a mess to try and control. If Putin and Medvedev make the mistake of trying to occupy Georgia they will not only have nearly complete condemnation from the international community but also another Chechnya but on a much larger scale.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:23 PM »

Chechnya has a Russian population that is nearly as large, 3.7% versus 5.7%, and it was a mess to try and control. If Putin and Medvedev make the mistake of trying to occupy Georgia they will not only have nearly complete condemnation from the international community but also another Chechnya but on a much larger scale.
Well I do agree with you that there will be a large insurgency, just not as large as Chechnya's. Perhaps I should change my wording:
I think the convential war will be very short, sharp and quick but the insurgency should play out over a year or so but less bloodily than Chechnya with rebels mostly having strongholds in the mountains.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2008, 07:54:35 PM »

There's no sane reason for Russia to occupy Georgia. Installing a more favourable (but perhaps not too favourable, actually...) would seem more likely, if it comes to that.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #240 on: August 11, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »

Well I do agree with you that there will be a large insurgency, just not as large as Chechnya's. Perhaps I should change my wording:
I think the convential war will be very short, sharp and quick but the insurgency should play out over a year or so but less bloodily than Chechnya with rebels mostly having strongholds in the mountains.

Accepting you were wrong is fine too.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: August 11, 2008, 07:56:14 PM »

Accepting you were wrong is fine too.
Okay fine I was mostly wrong but I don't see Georgia becoming the bloodbath Chechnya was for a variety of reasons.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2008, 07:57:30 PM »

There's no sane reason for Russia to occupy Georgia. Installing a more favourable (but perhaps not too favourable, actually...) would seem more likely, if it comes to that.
But would the Georgians accept that? I doubt it, after a war with Russia so I expect Russia to have "administrative" forces in Georgia along with Abkhazia and Ossetia.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »

Russians forcing regime change in Georgia by force won't work.  Both the people of Georgia and the international community will just write it off as a puppet government.  Russia would've been better off trying to pressure a regime change with old fashioned KGB tactics (like they do in Ukraine) than forcing it.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2008, 08:57:26 PM »

Russians forcing regime change in Georgia by force won't work.  Both the people of Georgia and the international community will just write it off as a puppet government.  Russia would've been better off trying to pressure a regime change with old fashioned KGB tactics (like they do in Ukraine) than forcing it.
Russia could rig a few elections easily. I have no faith in the international community after they allowed Georgia to be occupied by Russia, so I'm sure the puppet Georgian government will receive international recognition eventually.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2008, 09:31:17 PM »

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »

It'd be a pariah, but Belarus and Uzbekistan are pariahs, and Russia's fine with that as long as they are pro-Russian pariahs.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »

Russia could rig a few elections easily. I have no faith in the international community after they allowed Georgia to be occupied by Russia, so I'm sure the puppet Georgian government will receive international recognition eventually.

You once had that faith?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2008, 11:09:55 PM »

Turkey has been sending weapons and power to Georgia, as well as deploying naval vessels off Batumi.

Can they get riled up by Russians returning to their border?

If there's a huge flow of refugees into Turkey then they could claim this as a security issue and invoke its NATO membership rights. That's exactly how NATO intervention in Yugoslavia went ahead.

Cutting off the BTC pipeline would obviously harm their economic status in the region.

Could be a sudden move. I bet the generals in Ankara aren't sleeping well.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »

I have to agree with BRTD (circle this date on your calender).

Georgia is larger, both geographically and win population.

Georgia is (or possibly was) a nation state and had international recognition.  It has a lot of contacts outside.

Georgia has a sea coast and borders, with some bordering nations not friendly to Russia.

Russia is a bear and Georgia is the bear trap.  Basically, if it goes beyond South Ossentia, the trap is sprung.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies