Dems/leaners: Should Biden drop out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:35:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Dems/leaners: Should Biden drop out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: 20 day poll
Yes, Biden should drop out

No, Biden should continue

Unsure

Not a Dem/leaner

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 113

Author Topic: Dems/leaners: Should Biden drop out?  (Read 1822 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2023, 09:47:48 AM »

In light of recent polling numbers and forum discussions ... Should Joe Biden drop out of the 2024 presidential race? 20 day poll till the year's end.

I'm not there yet, though I increasingly think that he should have announced in spring that he won't run again.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 09:53:20 AM »

Assuming all of his health vitals (physical and mental) are ok, he should stay in. He is on track to sweep every state's primary or caucus in a decisive landslide.

The voters have a viable alternative in a noncontroversial and inoffensive Congressman running against him, but all signs point to Biden being their preference.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 10:04:41 AM »

Absolutely not.

People don't seem to realize that Biden dropping out for whatever reason would lead to attacks from everyone on everything Biden accomplished being a complete failure. You really think Republicans are just going to let Biden step down and not make a big deal out of it? Come on people, you're smarter than this.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 10:31:46 AM »

Of course.

To the last poster: Republicans are already doing all that, and because Biden is who he is, he is woefully unable to counter their attacks. You must be living in some bubble where Democrats support the Democratic president no matter what, like it’s normal times. Out in the real world, all anybody actually feels is embarrassed because he’s so old and such a terrible messenger. There are people who will “vote blue” because Republicans are literally evil, but nobody is voting “for Biden.” That’s a huge problem.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 11:41:39 AM »

Pressuring Biden to drop out (because let's be honest, even if he said that he was making his own decision, this is exactly how it would look) would allow Republicans to very successfully paint Democrats as opportunistic hypocrites who were admitting that they had failed the American people over the past four years. If Biden's agenda remains unpopular in 2024, that's going to hurt the Democrats no matter who is at the top of the ticket. These cries for Biden to drop out get more desperate as time goes. I'll say it again: Dread it, run from it, the choice of Biden or Trump arrives all the same. Maybe Democrats shouldn't have insisted on Biden in 2020 if they were worried about his age.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 11:59:35 AM »

I think he should've dropped out a year ago to allow a primary to have taken place now it's probably too late for him to drop out this late into the primary season.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 01:47:58 PM »

Nowadays it's probably too late but he absolutely should not have run for re-election. Being the candidate of leaving everything basically the same (which is undoubtedly Biden's campaign message, both in 2020 and 2024) is a terrible place to be in when everyone can tell that the USA is going to sh**t. Democrats need to campaign on change if they want to win in 2024.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 01:49:31 PM »

Pressuring Biden to drop out (because let's be honest, even if he said that he was making his own decision, this is exactly how it would look) would allow Republicans to very successfully paint Democrats as opportunistic hypocrites who were admitting that they had failed the American people over the past four years. If Biden's agenda remains unpopular in 2024, that's going to hurt the Democrats no matter who is at the top of the ticket. These cries for Biden to drop out get more desperate as time goes. I'll say it again: Dread it, run from it, the choice of Biden or Trump arrives all the same. Maybe Democrats shouldn't have insisted on Biden in 2020 if they were worried about his age.

But that was the thing. Biden was not the first choice of the democratic establishment. Obama especially praised Elizabeth Warren. Others wanted Buttegieg. Kamala Harris. But those others guys just flopped, leaving Biden as the last man standing.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 01:58:33 PM »

No! And why would he. He’s clearly not going to anyway and the csmpaigning hasn’t even begun. Please stop dooming; everything is ok!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »

Yes.

I've been posting about this a lot for the last 2-3 months, and at this point I do need to acknowledge it's getting to be too late in the process to do this smoothly.  I still think there's time, but there really needs to be some urgency about this.

But one important thing is that Biden shouldn't "drop out", he should retire.

Pressuring Biden to drop out (because let's be honest, even if he said that he was making his own decision, this is exactly how it would look) would allow Republicans to very successfully paint Democrats as opportunistic hypocrites who were admitting that they had failed the American people over the past four years. If Biden's agenda remains unpopular in 2024, that's going to hurt the Democrats no matter who is at the top of the ticket.

Biden's agenda isn't unpopular!
Biden is unpopular because people believe he's too old to effectively manage the country.
A younger Democrat with the exact same agenda would be a much more effective candidate.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 02:36:44 PM »

But that was the thing. Biden was not the first choice of the democratic establishment. Obama especially praised Elizabeth Warren. Others wanted Buttegieg. Kamala Harris. But those others guys just flopped, leaving Biden as the last man standing.

I was never a Buttegieg supporter, but it's absurd to say his campaign "flopped".  It was spectacularly successfully in transforming him from an obscure mayor with 1% national name recognition to someone on the very shortest of shortlists of potential successors to lead the party.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 02:39:03 PM »

No, I think people are overreacting to the polls. They're just a snapshot and we sadly are short of high-quality polls as well.

What also should be considered that Biden's most likely replacement would be Kamala, and I have way less confidence that she can win an election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 02:45:37 PM »

He already won Nov 8 th he isn't dropping out his name is printed on 24 ballots already c'mon man
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 04:10:10 PM »

What also should be considered that Biden's most likely replacement would be Kamala, and I have way less confidence that she can win an election.

If you actually believe this, I think you could make a lot of money on PredictIt. Harris is only at 7c to win the nomination there, while Newsom is at 18c.
Persephone
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.35

P
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 04:18:03 PM »

I've been a Biden defender for some time but if he can't get more than -10 in Michigan it's time for him to bow out.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 04:19:50 PM »

Plenty of people want him to drop put, no one seems to want to advocate for a replacement. Harris and Newsom are both rather weak. Those that really want him gone if they are sincere need to come up with the alternative and fast.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 05:00:30 PM »

I joined the "he should drop out" wing a few weeks ago. I don't care if there's a primary or he drops out at the convention, but for the love of god please nominate Gov. Whitmer/Newsom/someone remotely competent (not Harris, obviously). If the most important outcome and reason Biden is running is to defeat Trump, why not nominate someone who would be a good administrator and can also stand their own with voters?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 05:21:15 PM »

Plenty of people want him to drop put, no one seems to want to advocate for a replacement. Harris and Newsom are both rather weak. Those that really want him gone if they are sincere need to come up with the alternative and fast.

A "replacement" should be chosen through the normal primary process, just like every election cycle without the incumbent running. I could easily list 6-8 stronger candidates off the top of my head (and have in other threads), but the voters should decide.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 05:23:16 PM »

The same ones bitching and complaining for him to drop out would scream bloody murder at a nominee being chosen without a primary. And at this stage that's how a nominee would be chosen, at a brokered convention with the dreaded superdelegates getting a vote.

These questions are pointless anyway because the real world doesn't operate on Atlas thinking.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2023, 05:26:49 PM »

A "replacement" should be chosen through the normal primary process, just like every election cycle without the incumbent running. I could easily list 6-8 stronger candidates off the top of my head (and have in other threads), but the voters should decide.

The voters are deciding anyway. An inoffensive  generic D Congressman is running against Biden, and we'll actually get to know soon if Democratic voters really want to dump Biden or not.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2023, 05:27:04 PM »

These questions are pointless anyway because the real world doesn't operate on Atlas thinking.

Isn't almost every question on this forum pointless under that line of thinking?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2023, 05:28:56 PM »

The voters are deciding anyway. An inoffensive  generic D Congressman is running against Biden, and we'll actually get to know soon if Democratic voters really want to dump Biden or not.

But this is the wrong way to think about this.
Democratic voters don't want Biden to be defeated. That would be a repudiation of his administration and accomplishments.  They want him to declare victory and retire on top.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2023, 05:31:49 PM »

No, I think people are overreacting to the polls. They're just a snapshot and we sadly are short of high-quality polls as well.

Yeah, polling looks bleak right now, but we'll get through it and things will change when the campaigns begin.

I felt hopeless when Trump was at one of his few net positive approval points in March 2020-when the pandemic created a rally effect for him-but within a few weeks he told everyone to inject themselves with disinfectant and his numbers cratered again. Polling will not remain static, especially with someone as erratic as Trump.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2023, 05:45:39 PM »

But this is the wrong way to think about this.
Democratic voters don't want Biden to be defeated. That would be a repudiation of his administration and accomplishments.  They want him to declare victory and retire on top.

That's just supposition and assertion. There's no data supporting that idea that Democrats are having that particular thought process.

Personally I think it makes more sense to just dismiss the polls saying that 75% or whatever of Democrats don't want Biden to be the nominee than try to contrive a reason why they might really think that but still ultimately vote for him in colossal landslides anyway.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong, the polls are right, and Phillips will win or at least give Biden a scare. I kinda doubt it though.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 06:32:32 PM »

Well… he’s currently decisively losing to this guy.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies