There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:29:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses  (Read 8023 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2023, 07:03:16 PM »

The left has had a disgusting soft spot for muslim terrorism throughout my entire lifetime. I don't get it.

We elected a president who campaigned on a "Muslim ban." Half of the country spent much of the decade after 9/11 paranoid of anyone who looked like they might be a Mohammedan. I can remember a prominent member of Congress giving a speech warning of a day when this country's currency might bear the words "in Muhammed we trust." It doesn't surprise me at all that this has cultivated the reaction we see today.

Yeah, I remember all that too but I can still bring myself to say that flying planes into buildings is bad, and I don't have to qualify it with a bunch of pseudo-academic gobbledygook garbage.

Most people are not very reflective about these things, and most people's moral heuristics are nakedly tribalist.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2023, 08:00:59 PM »

This is going to sound stupid but a large chunk of this is TikTok. College kids are getting absolutely inundated with one sided content and it's turning them into extremists. I don't mean to sound like Tipper Gore or anything but it's apparent a lot of these kids are just regurgitating what they're hearing in their feeds.
Yep, all they see on TikTok about Israel-Palestine is that Israel is "more racist and fascist than even Nazi Germany!" and that Palestinians are "being exterminated en masse by the IDF".

Just completely exaggerating or outright lying and ignoring nuance about such a complex conflict.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2023, 08:07:46 PM »

This is going to sound stupid but a large chunk of this is TikTok. College kids are getting absolutely inundated with one sided content and it's turning them into extremists. I don't mean to sound like Tipper Gore or anything but it's apparent a lot of these kids are just regurgitating what they're hearing in their feeds.
Yep, all they see on TikTok about Israel-Palestine is that Israel is "more racist and fascist than even Nazi Germany!" and that Palestinians are "being exterminated en masse by the IDF".

Just completely exaggerating or outright lying and ignoring nuance about such a complex conflict.

No surprise given the CCP like Russia is sympathetic to Hamas . Hopefully the bill to ban TikTok passes soon cause it’s so obviously CCP propaganda
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2023, 08:08:55 PM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2023, 08:17:17 PM »

Those police officers should all be fired. What a bunch of pathetic individuals!

Strong disagree. They got the Jewish students away from the mob and out safely. This came up during J6 as well, with many people claiming the Capitol police appeased the insurrectionists. Outnumbered officers taking the path of least resistance is very common and usually ends well.

If they engage the student pogromists more directly, maybe it turns into a riot, the windows of the library get breached, and the college has multiple dead Jews on their hands. The officers did the right thing, but the university is in for some BAD times now.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »

Don't think they should get any credit for letting it get to that point.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2023, 09:32:56 AM »

I guess I really have been out of college for too long, and didn't realize just how bad things have gotten. This is disturbing as hell.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2023, 01:36:50 PM »

I guess Hamas murdering people for being Jewish doesn't make anyone feel unsafe, though.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2023, 01:42:30 PM »

The left has had a disgusting soft spot for muslim terrorism throughout my entire lifetime. I don't get it.

When Muslim terrorists kill people it's ok because they're "punching up". If someone gets mad at them after they kill people and makes a mean political cartoon about Muhammed or makes a joke about kebabs that's bad because they're "punching down". How ethics work in SJWland.

We elected a president who campaigned on a "Muslim ban." Half of the country spent much of the decade after 9/11 paranoid of anyone who looked like they might be a Mohammedan. I can remember a prominent member of Congress giving a speech warning of a day when this country's currency might bear the words "in Muhammed we trust." It doesn't surprise me at all that this has cultivated the reaction we see today.

None of that is as bad as the actions that provoked it, though. So Dems and the left shouldn't pay disproportionate attention to the backlash while ignoring the worse thing that caused the backlash.

They've been doing stuff exactly like this to conservative activists on campuses for decades. But of course when it happens to them they can't take what they dish out.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2023, 01:43:34 PM »

"Canceling" genocide supporters is good, actually. It's unambiguously good to expose people who support Nazi tactics and let people know if they're going to be hiring someone who wants them dead.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2023, 01:57:35 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Yeah, I remember all that too but I can still bring myself to say that flying planes into buildings is bad, and I don't have to qualify it with a bunch of pseudo-academic gobbledygook garbage.

I think the vast majority of American Muslims would agree with you. And to a somewhat lesser extent at the time (early 2000s), the same could be said for Muslims the world over. Even in Saudi f—king Arabia, support for Al-Qaeda started dropping real quick when the terrorists launched a devastating multi-year bombing campaign in 2003.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2023, 02:05:59 PM »

"Canceling" genocide supporters is good, actually. It's unambiguously good to expose people who support Nazi tactics and let people know if they're going to be hiring someone who wants them dead.
Let me say that I agree with this with the caveat that it's referring to people who are actually pro-Hamas, which is a disturbingly large number now but obviously doesn't include everyone who is critical of Israel's actions or pro-Palestine. This also would apply to supporters of something like Otzma Yehudit.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2023, 03:45:46 PM »

Let me say that I agree with this with the caveat that it's referring to people who are actually pro-Hamas, which is a disturbingly large number now but obviously doesn't include everyone who is critical of Israel's actions or pro-Palestine. This also would apply to supporters of something like Otzma Yehudit.

I have said before that saying the state of Israel shouldn't exist at all is something that is fine to debate and doesn't necessarily make you antisemitic. Supporting antisemitic terrorist groups who commit random ethnic killings of Jews does though. The Pro-Palestinian left have gone way over the line this time.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2023, 06:50:48 PM »

No?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd-says-no-direct-threat-to-jewish-students-during-cooper-union-protest/ar-AA1iUbLy

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/cooper-union-pro-palestinian-rally-jewish-students-library/

According to the protestors themselves:

We, students of Cooper Union, planned a peaceful protest to demand our institutions acknowledgement of the Israeli apartheid. This was in response to the school's one-sided stance and participation in the occupation of Palestine. We planned to peacefully protest outside the building before walking in and continuing our protest outside the president's office. We concluded our protest by calling out our demands through the hallways of the entire foundation building. When we reached the library, we were told that it was closed so we continued chanting outside the glass window of the library. Many different students of all backgrounds were in the library at the time. We would like to make it clear that our protest was not targeting any individual students or faculty, but the institution itself. We would like to reiterate that we DO NOT under any circumstance condone antisemitism and many members of the protest were Jewish."

There were three undercover cops and they said there was no threat. Protests of this nature happen and have happened for a long time on college campuses. I’m not sure where you’re getting your hyperbolic fantasies from.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2023, 06:57:10 PM »

Do you ask Muslims you meet to condemn 9/11 before you associate with them?
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2023, 07:05:37 PM »

And to condemn the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, complete with a written pledge and fingerprints for verification!
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2023, 07:07:19 PM »

No, and this is just another stupid political game. I pay much less attention to who condemns what, and I pay more attention to who comes out and makes excuses for what, and the left has constantly been making excusing for a specific religion's terrorism and I am tired of it.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2023, 08:44:24 PM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »

No?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd-says-no-direct-threat-to-jewish-students-during-cooper-union-protest/ar-AA1iUbLy

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/cooper-union-pro-palestinian-rally-jewish-students-library/

We, students of Cooper Union, planned a peaceful protest to demand our institutions acknowledgement of the Israeli apartheid. This was in response to the school's one-sided stance and participation in the occupation of Palestine. We planned to peacefully protest outside the building before walking in and continuing our protest outside the president's office. We concluded our protest by calling out our demands through the hallways of the entire foundation building. When we reached the library, we were told that it was closed so we continued chanting outside the glass window of the library. Many different students of all backgrounds were in the library at the time. We would like to make it clear that our protest was not targeting any individual students or faculty, but the institution itself. We would like to reiterate that we DO NOT under any circumstance condone antisemitism and many members of the protest were Jewish."

There were three undercover cops and they said there was no threat. Protests of this nature happen and have happened for a long time on college campuses. I’m not sure where you’re getting your hyperbolic fantasies from.
If they don't want to be accused of things like that, then maybe  they should stop making excuses for people who blow buildings up and rape and murder Israelis
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2023, 07:43:40 AM »

No?

There is extensive, first-hand footage of this mob cornering Jewish students in the library and trapping them, behaving in a threatening manner until the Jewish students were evacuated. The school and NYPD have the motivation to cover it up because they fell down on the job, and the protesters have the motivation to cover it up because they don't want to be held accountable. But everyone saw.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2023, 07:51:54 AM »

At best, the far-left is ambivalent towards antisemitism. And that's being nice.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2023, 08:14:12 AM »

Like I said, the Bush years created a huge sense of guilt in the population and then add in the fact that Bush was followed by a president who made it seem like saying the phrase "Radical Islamic Terrorism" was Islamophobic and always tried to play the "we should be understanding of why these people think this way" led up to this.

That can explain the American Left. It doesn't explain the Rest of the First World Left.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2023, 08:53:59 AM »

Like I said, the Bush years created a huge sense of guilt in the population and then add in the fact that Bush was followed by a president who made it seem like saying the phrase "Radical Islamic Terrorism" was Islamophobic and always tried to play the "we should be understanding of why these people think this way" led up to this.

That can explain the American Left. It doesn't explain the Rest of the First World Left.

This is the 21st century. Everywhere is America.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2023, 10:19:26 AM »

Definitely looks a bit more like something else
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2023, 10:23:01 AM »

Hot Take :

American academia is more sympathetic to Palestine because they are stuck in a Cold War mentality, where Israel is seen as a puppet regime of the United States, and imperialism is bad.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies