There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:13:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses  (Read 8041 times)
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »

I'm against most cases of what people call "cancel culture" (which I personally define as disproportionate and public retribution/punishment for small actions and mistakes) and think that that truck is inappropriate and also incredibly creepy.

In principle, I agree with this.  People do all sorts of stupid crap in college, including posts online that they should not suffer a lifetime for.  Being in the working world generally for the good, and time brings maturity.  I know a number of people who held stupid opinions in college that grew up as reality impacted them.

I AM concerned when the most dangerous opinions are held by the most influential "student leaders" who are on fast tracks for power and influence.  It's one thing to hire the radical NYU Law grad as a crusading public defender or Woke Prosecutor, or as a counsel for the Southern Poverty Law Center.  It's another thing to hire them as an intern for a Supreme Court Justice, or for the Civil Rights Division of DOJ.  Some of these people hold incredibly harmful positions that reflect internally horrifying personas.  I do pray for protection from these sort of people who, truthfully, know not the difference between justice, rightful vengeance, and conditioned hatred.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2023, 10:39:19 AM »

The fact that so many of these are law students is especially disturbing to me. You're supposed to have some semblance of rationality to enter the legal profession, and ideally you should have some brains to get into one of these T14 schools in the first place. It scares the hell out of me that these of all people are supposed to be our future lawyers and leaders. It wasn't like this when I was in law school just 10 years ago.

The good news: I'm already seeing reports that this might well get a lot of these lunatics blacklisted from the legal profession, and they'll find themselves working at Subway instead of a Biglaw firm once they graduate from these top tier schools. THAT is karma.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2023, 10:49:34 AM »

The fact that so many of these are law students is especially disturbing to me. You're supposed to have some semblance of rationality to enter the legal profession, and ideally you should have some brains to get into one of these T14 schools in the first place. It scares the hell out of me that these of all people are supposed to be our future lawyers and leaders. It wasn't like this when I was in law school just 10 years ago.

The good news: I'm already seeing reports that this might well get a lot of these lunatics blacklisted from the legal profession, and they'll find themselves working at Subway instead of a Biglaw firm once they graduate from these top tier schools. THAT is karma.
I'm reminded of those two young lawyers who got disbarred and charged with a felony for setting a police car on fire in NYC in a BLM protest, what idiots. They could've done far more and better fought against police brutality had they just kept those bar certificates instead of burning that car. Although at least they were acting in response to a terrible thing in regards to George Floyd's brutal murder while these students are openly supporting brutal murders and terrorism.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2023, 11:59:28 AM »

Yes, there’s no way that will cause a backlash. /s

This rhetoric is incredible harmful, but honestly it’s no different from what have come out these kind of institutions for years just targeting groups who aren’t able to blacklist them. This rhetoric are logical  conclusion from what these people have been taught, and use the institutional power to crush them, will just confirm them and other in their conclusions. The real solutions is to go after the institutions not the individuals.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2023, 06:03:44 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2023, 10:24:27 PM »

The fact that so many of these are law students is especially disturbing to me. You're supposed to have some semblance of rationality to enter the legal profession, and ideally you should have some brains to get into one of these T14 schools in the first place.

Wait, was Dule right about law school students?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2023, 11:01:54 PM »

Honestly I feel a root cause of this issue has been the stupid idea that came out of fringe spaces of leftists academia that “racism has to involve power structures so a minority can’t be racist against the majority” which you can see in the godawful tankie takes on issues here or that “kill the farmer” guy in SA
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2023, 08:39:28 AM »

It’s clearly not just the organizations. The administrations are either totally incompetent or actively support this bigotry.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2023, 12:38:07 PM »

The left has had a disgusting soft spot for muslim terrorism throughout my entire lifetime. I don't get it.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2023, 12:40:42 PM »

The left has had a disgusting soft spot for muslim terrorism throughout my entire lifetime. I don't get it.

Apparently they have to be “oppressed” because they have darker skin.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2023, 12:45:42 PM »

Like I said, the Bush years created a huge sense of guilt in the population and then add in the fact that Bush was followed by a president who made it seem like saying the phrase "Radical Islamic Terrorism" was Islamophobic and always tried to play the "we should be understanding of why these people think this way" led up to this.

certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2023, 01:45:07 PM »

Uh, you guys do realize that in Islam you can become a martyr in more ways than simply just dying in combat right?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2023, 01:48:11 PM »

Uh, you guys do realize that in Islam you can become a martyr in more ways than simply just dying in combat right?
In Islam, an innocent Muslim who dies from a bombing or even dies in an Earthquake is considered a shahid.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2023, 01:49:21 PM »

Look at the other two images
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2023, 04:20:57 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2023, 04:33:44 PM by GP270watch »

Remember that one faction of the Palestinian freedom movement tried a non-violent Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions strategy and that was also called anti-Semitic. The Israeli lobby in the United States even managed to get states and local municipalities to pass some very murky and probably unconstitutional laws punishing anybody who supported BDS.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2023, 04:58:08 PM »

It’s clearly not just the organizations. The administrations are either totally incompetent or actively support this bigotry.

Apparently the President of GW gave a statement today essentially saying they're undergoing a "review" of the situation...

Several alum of GW who are in Congress wrote a joint letter criticizing the President of the University for not condemning the anti-semitism of the students.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2023, 05:16:33 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2023, 05:28:09 PM »

Uhhhh what the hell??
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2023, 05:29:06 PM »

😰
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2023, 05:38:14 PM »

We elected a president who campaigned on a "Muslim ban." Half of the country spent much of the decade after 9/11 paranoid of anyone who looked like they might be a Mohammedan. I can remember a prominent member of Congress giving a speech warning of a day when this country's currency might bear the words "in Muhammed we trust." It doesn't surprise me at all that this has cultivated the reaction we see today.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2023, 05:40:35 PM »

We elected a president who campaigned on a "Muslim ban." Half of the country spent much of the decade after 9/11 paranoid of anyone who looked like they might be a Mohammedan. I can remember a prominent member of Congress giving a speech warning of a day when this country's currency might bear the words "in Muhammed we trust." It doesn't surprise me at all that this has cultivated the reaction we see today.

Yeah, I remember all that too but I can still bring myself to say that flying planes into buildings is bad, and I don't have to qualify it with a bunch of pseudo-academic gobbledygook garbage.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2023, 06:23:51 PM »

The NYPD likely prevented a full-on pogrom today.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2023, 06:37:28 PM »

Uhhhh what the hell??

Biden should enforce this law:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1182&num=0&edition=prelim

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

Any alien who-

(VII) endorses or espouses terrorist activity or persuades others to endorse or espouse terrorist activity or support a terrorist organization;

is inadmissible. An alien who is an officer, official, representative, or spokesman of the Palestine Liberation Organization is considered, for purposes of this chapter, to be engaged in a terrorist activity.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2023, 06:41:05 PM »

Those police officers should all be fired. What a bunch of pathetic individuals!
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2023, 06:52:48 PM »

This is going to sound stupid but a large chunk of this is TikTok. College kids are getting absolutely inundated with one sided content and it's turning them into extremists. I don't mean to sound like Tipper Gore or anything but it's apparent a lot of these kids are just regurgitating what they're hearing in their feeds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies