There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 04:36:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses  (Read 8088 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2023, 02:06:34 AM »

The people who go into student politics/student orgs like these tend to be the most radical people on campus. People who are moderate are more disengaged, or don't seek positions of power in these societies.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2023, 02:11:56 AM »

Some of these statements that are coming out….Jesus

Here is the *president* of the NYU law student association

Similar statements have been released and undersigned at Harvard, northwestern, Stanford, etc

Additionally, blm’s chicago chapter is honoring the paragliders of the music festival massacre

The older members of my extended family, many of whom are Jewish, taught me to laugh where I can, so I'll just say it: there's something darkly funny about the wording in the "readers added context" bit for the second one. "They are not known for paragliding in other circumstances..."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2023, 03:24:58 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2023, 03:35:04 AM by dead0man »

Can I be blunt for a second and point out that a lot of elite colleges recruit a ton of international students, including quite a few children of very wealthy Saudi/Emirati/other Gulf Arab elites?

I think people often assume all these student groups are domestic when there's a lot...a LOT...of international students from countries that despise Israel involved in political groups at this sort of top college.
perhaps colleges need to start weeding these people out.  Assuming there are non-bigots from these places who want to go to university in the US.

edit-on second thought, the academics in charge of admission probably want more bigots to come, and, as always, it's about the money.  The bigots have the money in sh**t hole countries.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2023, 09:32:54 AM »

Wow my post about liberalism being a mental disease got deleted and the nonsense in the Gaza thread survives. Liberalism in a nutshell.
None of these people are liberals. They hate liberalism just as much as you do!
They are clearly liberals

Lmao they are not liberals, they are leftists.

If you called any of these people liberals, they'd have a stroke.

I don't care what these idiots would suffer from. It's clear they are liberals.

They are not liberals, they are leftists. The terms are not synonymous. Get that through your head.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2023, 09:36:11 AM »

Ryna Workman clearly isn't feeling good now, and obviously has a lot of hate in her heart. But she can overcome all of that through the love of Jesus Christ.

I hope and pray that she'll accept Jesus Christ and be able to rebuild her life as a new much better person!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2023, 10:02:37 AM »

Ryna Workman clearly isn't feeling good now, and obviously has a lot of hate in her heart. But she can overcome all of that through the love of Jesus Christ.

I hope and pray that she'll accept Jesus Christ and be able to rebuild her life as a new much better person!

I think that Jesus Christ is not necessary for this -- I am not a Christian -- but I think this post is basically the correct attitude to take. People who hate should be able to replace hatred with love. If Jesus Christ can put her on the road towards being a loving person, which I think he has for others, then that would be good.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2023, 12:06:37 PM »

Bruh... These are supposed to be our most educated citizens...
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2023, 02:03:34 PM »

You can support a two state solution, pre 67 borders, or even think Israel shouldn't exist at all without advocating for the murder of random Jews by Palestinian terrorist groups.

This is the rooting for the underdog, "punching up" mindset taken to the furthest extreme. In their world if you're "marginalized" then nothing you do can be wrong and if you're the designated "oppressor" than nothing cruel anyone does to you can be undeserved. These people think real life conflicts are like Star Wars with a designated light and dark side.

How many of the people crying about this have spent the last decade complaining about the lack of free speech on campus? Seems like a near 1:1 especially with, say, Bari Weiss types.

I'm not calling for anyone to be expelled from school or face academic discipline for this. We just can and should call it out for what it is.

And on the other hand how many of the people doing and defending this have called for campuses to be inclusive safe spaces for all people and advocated for censorship to attain that goal. If these were right wing student groups talking about black people like this we all know they'd get immediately shut down.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2023, 02:31:54 PM »

The pro-Hamas sentiment of college student groups is the inevitable conclusion of a worldview that sees being oppressed as inherently righteous. Hopefully this leads to some real soul-searching among people who insisted that there was nothing to worry about there and a serious effort by sane left-of-center people to reject the extreme anti-society ideas that have been allowed to fester on college campuses.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2023, 03:22:41 PM »

The pro-Hamas sentiment of college student groups is the inevitable conclusion of a worldview that sees being oppressed as inherently righteous.

What does this even mean? It sounds like nonsense.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2023, 04:48:24 PM »

The pro-Hamas sentiment of college student groups is the inevitable conclusion of a worldview that sees being oppressed as inherently righteous.

It means that if you believe that being morally justified proceeds from being a victim of oppression, it's pretty easy to go from reading off land acknowledgements to applauding Hamas terrorist attacks. I would have preferred that college students demonstrate genuine moral convictions and not prove conservatives right about them, but that's not what happened.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2023, 04:58:24 PM »

It means that if you believe that being morally justified proceeds from being a victim of oppression, it's pretty easy to go from reading off land acknowledgements to applauding Hamas terrorist attacks. I would have preferred that college students demonstrate genuine moral convictions and not prove conservatives right about them, but that's not what happened.

Do you understand what oppression means?

Opression: Prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control. The state of being subject to unjust treatment or control.

As I have said I think violence is a terrible way to settle disputes since it usually leads to more disputes and great suffering but the media treats many forms of Israeli violence as legitimate to the point that even criticizing it is called anti-Semitic. A defensive technique that is very effective because the Jewish people are a historically oppressed group themselves(oppression at the hands of white Christians mostly).

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2023, 05:06:45 PM »

Do you understand what oppression means?

Opression: Prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control. The state of being subject to unjust treatment or control.

As I have said I think violence is a terrible way to settle disputes since it usually leads to more disputes and great suffering but the media treats many forms of Israeli violence as legitimate to the point that even criticizing it is called anti-Semitic. A defensive technique that is very effective because the Jewish people are a historically oppressed group themselves(oppression at the hands of white Christians mostly).

Yes, I know what oppression means. Oppression is obviously bad, but the insidious side of this ideology is the notion that being oppressed not only means that the oppressor is bad, but that the oppressed is good and upright in what they do.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2023, 08:31:07 PM »

Wow my post about liberalism being a mental disease got deleted and the nonsense in the Gaza thread survives. Liberalism in a nutshell.
None of these people are liberals. They hate liberalism just as much as you do!
They are clearly liberals

Lmao they are not liberals, they are leftists.

If you called any of these people liberals, they'd have a stroke.

I don't care what these idiots would suffer from. It's clear they are liberals.

I just found out that the son of an old family friend, a soldier in the IDF, was killed in the first day of the war.  He was a liberal, just like his parents.

You deserve to apologize to the Atlas Forum for your slanderous troll posts.  I won't hold my breath.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2023, 12:17:13 AM »

While colleges should be a place to exchange and debate ideas in good faith, statements like this had unfortunately triggered bullying and I知 glad that the college denounced it.
It痴 so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2023, 07:26:49 AM »

The pro-Hamas sentiment of college student groups is the inevitable conclusion of a worldview that sees being oppressed as inherently righteous. Hopefully this leads to some real soul-searching among people who insisted that there was nothing to worry about there and a serious effort by sane left-of-center people to reject the extreme anti-society ideas that have been allowed to fester on college campuses.
Um no. The communist GOPers have been fostering radical anti American terrorists for years and y誕ll hardly ever condemned them beyond a bit of lip service once in a while when it looked like it may hurt electoral prospects. We know these guys are nuts, and these nuts are the only thing that will save America from y誕ll, don稚 start s**t if you don稚 wanna finish it.

You want us to deal with these crazies? Get the crazies you have IN CONGRESS RIGHT NOW out first and then we can talk, until then take a shut the f**k up pill.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2023, 07:58:06 AM »

This is the most concerning one of them all:

GWU may not be Harvard in terms of prestige, but there is still no university that sends a larger number of alumni to work on Capitol Hill and to the Foreign Service. Today's Hill staffers are tomorrow's congressmen. Today's FSO trainees are tomorrow's Ambassadors and Undersecretaries of State.

As a GW alum (graduated in 2019) I thought my thoughts may be worth posting.

In my experience, the students who go on to the Foreign Service, State Dept, even much of the Hill are not the people who get involved in organizations like Students for Justice in Palestine, or similar groups like Progressive Students Union and the like.

GW students are quite liberal but they mostly lean "establishment liberal" - the type that want to work in the system and change it. However the minority who are genuinely radical/genuinely leftist are very vocal, but they are a minority.

This statement is reprehensible, but it hasn't come out of nowhere sadly. Tensions on this issue have always been high. since there was always a small minority of very vocal anti-Israel activists, as well as very pro-Israel groups that came from both the large Jewish-American population at GW and also some non-Jewish students. A candidate for Student Body Vice President was disqualified a few years back for making anti-Israel comments on Facebook, and a decent number of people defended him.

SJP was a small group while I was there - one thing I noted is that this statement kept using "our/we"us" though the vast majority of SJP members were (surprise!) white Americans. I don't know if that changed or not, but that seems strange.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2023, 09:41:40 AM »

The logical conclusion of allowing hate groups like SJP to proliferate with official school backing.
It痴 so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2023, 12:00:10 PM »

The Asian American club I am a part of for social activities recently endorsed a statement similar to this, I am contemplating leaving for this among other reasons.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »

Yes it IS nonsense, but it is actually what they believe. It's the same thing I talked about in my post.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2023, 01:36:02 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2023, 02:06:01 PM »

As the one-time President of my university's Quiz Bowl team, I would like to state for the record that Hamas's attack on Israel and the Israel-Palestine conflict more broadly are not within the purview of our club's activities, and any member who expresses their political views or participates in armed conflict is not doing so on behalf of Quiz Bowl. Any harassment of team members, classmates, or any other community members based on religious, ethnic, or national background will not be tolerated.

Thank you.
Go Dawgs!
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2023, 02:51:31 PM »

This is the most concerning one of them all:

GWU may not be Harvard in terms of prestige, but there is still no university that sends a larger number of alumni to work on Capitol Hill and to the Foreign Service. Today's Hill staffers are tomorrow's congressmen. Today's FSO trainees are tomorrow's Ambassadors and Undersecretaries of State.

As a GW alum (graduated in 2019) I thought my thoughts may be worth posting.

In my experience, the students who go on to the Foreign Service, State Dept, even much of the Hill are not the people who get involved in organizations like Students for Justice in Palestine, or similar groups like Progressive Students Union and the like.

GW students are quite liberal but they mostly lean "establishment liberal" - the type that want to work in the system and change it. However the minority who are genuinely radical/genuinely leftist are very vocal, but they are a minority.

This statement is reprehensible, but it hasn't come out of nowhere sadly. Tensions on this issue have always been high. since there was always a small minority of very vocal anti-Israel activists, as well as very pro-Israel groups that came from both the large Jewish-American population at GW and also some non-Jewish students. A candidate for Student Body Vice President was disqualified a few years back for making anti-Israel comments on Facebook, and a decent number of people defended him.

SJP was a small group while I was there - one thing I noted is that this statement kept using "our/we"us" though the vast majority of SJP members were (surprise!) white Americans. I don't know if that changed or not, but that seems strange.

I was a visiting professor at GWU 2001-2003.  I arrived on campus just 10 days before 9-11.  The student newspaper regularly published anti-Semitic editorial cartoons, depicting GW Jewish students as either smelly animals or sexually depraved (the latter category even had cartoons that were XXX-rated).  Mind you, these cartoons had nothing to do with Israel or Israelis, but American Jews.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »

Cancel culture is real and good, whether it punishes conservative bigots or leftist bigots.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2023, 06:41:43 PM »

I'm against most cases of what people call "cancel culture" (which I personally define as disproportionate and public retribution/punishment for small actions and mistakes) and think that that truck is inappropriate and also incredibly creepy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies