Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:41:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 218 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 222531 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5300 on: January 16, 2024, 01:55:29 PM »

If progressives really wanted a ceasefire they would pass a resolution demanding that Hamas release the Jewish hostages or else military aid to Israel will be quadrupled.

What they actually want is for Israel to unilaterally surrender, because that will appease their frothing anti-semite base, many of whom are about one logical step away from literally becoming al-Qaeda.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #5301 on: January 16, 2024, 02:01:30 PM »

If progressives really wanted a ceasefire they would pass a resolution demanding that Hamas release the Jewish hostages or else military aid to Israel will be quadrupled.

What they actually want is for Israel to unilaterally surrender, because that will appease their frothing anti-semite base, many of whom are about one logical step away from literally becoming al-Qaeda.

Yeah OK. Are you going to answer my question?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5302 on: January 16, 2024, 03:44:28 PM »

Are you talking to the right person?  I've been out of this thread for a few pages and have no idea what question you're referring to.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #5303 on: January 16, 2024, 03:46:57 PM »

Are you talking to the right person?  I've been out of this thread for a few pages and have no idea what question you're referring to.

*class is debatable since in some cases the class is small enough that it could be argued that rather than being primarily composed of innocents, a sufficiently sizable share of the members of the class were able to coordinate towards an objective that could be considered hostile, thus making an attack on said class a civil conflict rather than a genocide.  For example, the French Revolution's class cleansing of the Bourbon aristocracy.

or the Camodian Genocide:
A) The Khmer Rouge made it publicly known that they intended to completely eliminate anyone who had, prior to year zero, belonged to: the wealthy, the intelligentsia, the capitalists, the landowners (all class groups), Christians (religious group), Vietnamese (ethnic group), etc.
B) The Khmer Rouge had complete control of Cambodia which gave them the means to accomplish this
C) The Khmer Rouge did in fact slaughter several million people while explicitly targeting said groups

Even setting aside that your excuse has nothing in itself to it, I might point out that there were several hundred thousand aristocrats. Pick one or the other.

Did the Khmer Rouge commit genocide? Of course they did. It cannot seriously be argued, however, that the murder of capitalists and landowners constituted that: people being killed does not in itself a genocide make, as you yourself admit. Their targeting of specific ethnic groups—more than just the Vietnamese, by the way—was genocidal; that was not. One moment you are complaining about the abuse of the term ‘genocide’, the next you are abusing it yourself. Again, which is it?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5304 on: January 16, 2024, 04:31:05 PM »

That question isn't even from this thread.  Please don't take your slap fights across multiple threads.  Keep them siloed.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #5305 on: January 16, 2024, 05:07:16 PM »

Interesting.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #5306 on: January 16, 2024, 05:28:57 PM »

That question isn't even from this thread.  Please don't take your slap fights across multiple threads.  Keep them siloed.

Indeed it is not (just a directly-related one): a shame about that 'out of this thread' excuse. Anyway, a question that you are not able to answer adequately is not a slap fight--and even if it were, I do not think you are in any sort of position to be giving such advice.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #5307 on: January 16, 2024, 05:54:23 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5308 on: January 16, 2024, 06:19:16 PM »

Netanyahu’s government is filled with racist scumbags.  In other news, water is still wet.  All that and more at 11:00!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5309 on: January 16, 2024, 09:55:39 PM »

Will be interesting to see which Dems have a conscious.

I'm guessing it'll be about 85-15. Van Hollen, Warren, Markey and Merkley are guaranteed yeas. A ceasefire polls extremely well so I think a few other Dems from more liberal states might surprise here.

Motion to table received 11 nays, one of which was from a Republican (Paul). 10 Democrats seem to think Israel might have a problem with its human rights record (Butler, Heinrich, Hirono, Lujan, Markey, Merkley, Sanders, Van Hollen, Warren, and Welch), which is absolutely abominable.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5310 on: January 16, 2024, 10:02:43 PM »

Will be interesting to see which Dems have a conscious.

I'm guessing it'll be about 85-15. Van Hollen, Warren, Markey and Merkley are guaranteed yeas. A ceasefire polls extremely well so I think a few other Dems from more liberal states might surprise here.

Motion to table received 11 nays, one of which was from a Republican (Paul). 10 Democrats seem to think Israel might have a problem with its human rights record (Butler, Heinrich, Hirono, Lujan, Markey, Merkley, Sanders, Van Hollen, Warren, and Welch), which is absolutely abominable.

Israel has a serious problem with its human rights record. It's a long story that began 75 years ago and it's reaching its most dramatic moments with the ongoing massacre
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5311 on: January 16, 2024, 10:16:35 PM »

Hundreds of thousands are facing famine in Gaza. If there exists a deliberate intent to starve people to death, it is possible that someone is committing genocide

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5312 on: January 16, 2024, 10:53:47 PM »

Right; the aid is being packaged with fuel which is permitting Hamas to continue its war. We should not permit any authorities except the IDF and open, explicit collaborators to distribute any aid in the Gaza Strip, and it's horrible that we have an international community which is permitting shipments of aid to continue.

Instead of just families of hostage victims, we should build the world where eight billion people, of all races and religions, block the path and prevent anything from entering not distributed by the IDF; where the figure of the useful fool who calls for supplies to be sent to the enemies of humanity has been completely eliminated from the human consciousness. And the happy thing is that I think that really is the world that is very slowly being built, but it's disappointing to be reminded that it's nowhere near built yet.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5313 on: January 16, 2024, 11:57:08 PM »

Schatz couldn't be there, but as expected he would've joined Bernie. He's been pretty good on I/P for awhile now.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5314 on: January 17, 2024, 02:58:20 AM »

So in that article, Rick Scott says everyone in Gaza deserves to die…
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5315 on: January 17, 2024, 03:07:37 AM »

Right; the aid is being packaged with fuel which is permitting Hamas to continue its war. We should not permit any authorities except the IDF and open, explicit collaborators to distribute any aid in the Gaza Strip, and it's horrible that we have an international community which is permitting shipments of aid to continue.

Instead of just families of hostage victims, we should build the world where eight billion people, of all races and religions, block the path and prevent anything from entering not distributed by the IDF; where the figure of the useful fool who calls for supplies to be sent to the enemies of humanity has been completely eliminated from the human consciousness. And the happy thing is that I think that really is the world that is very slowly being built, but it's disappointing to be reminded that it's nowhere near built yet.

Ideally the US should have shipped a bunch of food and medical supplies, but we did not, so they need whatever they can get.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5316 on: January 17, 2024, 06:57:11 AM »

No one wants to say it.

The Egyptian Border

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2MXUKZx09V/
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5317 on: January 17, 2024, 10:40:21 AM »

Sounds like pretty much the standard GOP line these days.

A genuinely evil bunch of sociopaths, with remarkably few exceptions.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5318 on: January 17, 2024, 07:35:37 PM »

Again, you can have all the problems with Biden and Democrats on this issue you want, but it'll be worse if Republicans gain power over dissatisfaction with Democrats on this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5319 on: January 17, 2024, 07:36:41 PM »

You are a uniquely evil person. I wonder what Gazan civilians did in your eyes to be forced to starve to death. Then again, it's not out of the ordinary for you.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5320 on: January 17, 2024, 07:43:31 PM »

You are a uniquely evil person. I wonder what Gazan civilians did in your eyes to be forced to starve to death. Then again, it's not out of the ordinary for you.

I don't actually think he's evil. His Soviet upbringing mixed with Randian ethics has just led to a completely upside down view of existence that I will never understand. He really, really thinks he's doing the right thing. I can relate to almost every poster here in some way, but not Vosem. I find him very interesting, but I don't waste my time trying to have conversations with him as there's no point.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #5321 on: January 17, 2024, 08:02:38 PM »

Could any of the people changing their avatars and/or usernames in support of Israel despite having no connection to it explain their reasoning for me? Doing it for Gaza makes some sense if you believe that Israel is committing a genocide (see also: the outpouring of support in the form of such changes for the Armenians over the past few years). But there’s neither that nor a ‘plucky little Belgium’ sort of thing going for it. Anyway: please?

Israel supporters would say that Israel was the victim of a genocidal attack on 10/7, so it’s the same logic.

Sure, that makes sense. At which point they would also be counting the Israeli intervention in Gaza as genocidal. So then it becomes a matter of supporting a government that is, by such logic, committing genocide against a people who did not (unless by such logic 9/11 was a legitimate military attack against legitimate military targets) (so "you started it!", if someone thought that was an excuse, wouldn't work anyway) during a war against a group that did. On second thought, I don't think it makes sense at all.

They don't count the Israeli intervention in Gaza as genocidal though.

I'm being generous and assuming consistency in their logic rather than it being an afterthought to supporting a particular 'team' because ??.
Hamas clearly states and acts on its intentions to kill Jews. Israel is fighting to eliminate Hamas whilst protecting civilian lives as much as possible. It's not even close to moral equivalency between the two. Accusing Israel of genocide against Palestinians is like accusing the WW2 Allies of genocide against Germans...
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5322 on: January 17, 2024, 08:05:01 PM »

Could any of the people changing their avatars and/or usernames in support of Israel despite having no connection to it explain their reasoning for me? Doing it for Gaza makes some sense if you believe that Israel is committing a genocide (see also: the outpouring of support in the form of such changes for the Armenians over the past few years). But there’s neither that nor a ‘plucky little Belgium’ sort of thing going for it. Anyway: please?

Israel supporters would say that Israel was the victim of a genocidal attack on 10/7, so it’s the same logic.

Sure, that makes sense. At which point they would also be counting the Israeli intervention in Gaza as genocidal. So then it becomes a matter of supporting a government that is, by such logic, committing genocide against a people who did not (unless by such logic 9/11 was a legitimate military attack against legitimate military targets) (so "you started it!", if someone thought that was an excuse, wouldn't work anyway) during a war against a group that did. On second thought, I don't think it makes sense at all.

I'm being generous and assuming consistency in their logic rather than it being an afterthought to supporting a particular 'team' because ??.
Hamas clearly states and acts on its intentions to kill Jews. Israel is fighting to eliminate Hamas whilst protecting civilian lives as much as possible. It's not even close to moral equivalency between the two. Accusing Israel of genocide against Palestinians is like accusing the WW2 Allies of genocide against Germans...

And then there's mainstream Israeli politicians calling for Gaza to be levelled. I believe the Israeli President recently said that there are no innocent people in Gaza.

That sort of rhetoric is quote alarming, as is the willingness of some people to dismiss them.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #5323 on: January 17, 2024, 08:07:01 PM »

And then there's mainstream Israeli politicians calling for Gaza to be levelled. I believe the Israeli President recently said that there are no innocent people in Gaza.

That sort of rhetoric is quote alarming, as is the willingness of some people to dismiss them.
And some prominent Allied politicians in WW2 advocated for the Morgenthau Plan. Does that mean the war was an anti-German genocide?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5324 on: January 17, 2024, 08:11:42 PM »

And some prominent Allied politicians in WW2 advocated for the Morgenthau Plan. Does that mean the war was an anti-German genocide?

I never claimed it was a genocide. Merely pointed out that there has been some alarming rhetoric.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 218 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies