Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:55:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 222443 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5275 on: January 15, 2024, 03:04:00 PM »

Turns out no one in the muslim world wants the Palestinian people.

Sad But True

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2E7tjNuwuu/

The Palestinians have now become the most unwanted people on Earth. You can see why people sympathise with them as the Arab World has well and truly turned their back on them

Apart from Yemen, the other Arab countries have no heart muscle to protect their Muslim brothers. I think part of their religion says they have to defend their brothers when under attack.

Jesus christ, do you listen? I already told you. The Palestinians don't want to leave. They don't want to live in Jordan or Egypt. They are Palestinians who want to live in Palestine. If they leave, they know they won't be allowed to return.

Do I think Jordan or Egypt want more permenant Palestinians citizens? No. Would they be willing to take them in to save lives from israeli bombing and than let them back in? Probably.

But you do not listen. If Palestinians leave, they won't be allowed back. But you keep posting this fake news "No one wants them".

Honestly, its propaganda from the far right in the current Netanyahu cabinet. Promote the idea that forcing millions of Palestinians into the desert (which Gaza isn't, as the geographical map I posted earlier) is a good idea
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5276 on: January 15, 2024, 04:41:04 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2024, 06:02:37 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Time to warm up the F-14 Tomcats again.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-16/houthi-rebels-strike-us-ship-yemen-coast-israel-gaza-hamas-war/103323120

USS Eisenhower - 16 Jan 2024

https://youtu.be/RnkeIr1LSaI

If the Yemeni's have four black MIG 29's with red stars on the wings, my life is complete.

Houthi supporters hold up guns during a protest against recent US-led strikes on Houthi targets.(Reuters: Khaled Abdullah)
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #5277 on: January 15, 2024, 04:48:34 PM »

If Egypt allowed the Palestinians in, Israel will never allow them to return. No one is really disputing this
Believing that Israel (or any other country in a similar position) would take such move is never a justifiable reason to prevent refugees from reaching sanctuary. Nobody ever doubted or questioned that it was right for Bangladesh to accept Rohingya refugees, or for Armenia to accept refugees from Artsakh, and so on.

The fact of the matter is that huge numbers of Palestinian civilians wished to reach sanctuary and Egypt forcibly prevented them from doing so (and is still doing so).
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #5278 on: January 15, 2024, 04:49:30 PM »

Could any of the people changing their avatars and/or usernames in support of Israel despite having no connection to it explain their reasoning for me? Doing it for Gaza makes some sense if you believe that Israel is committing a genocide (see also: the outpouring of support in the form of such changes for the Armenians over the past few years). But there’s neither that nor a ‘plucky little Belgium’ sort of thing going for it. Anyway: please?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5279 on: January 15, 2024, 04:55:01 PM »

If Egypt allowed the Palestinians in, Israel will never allow them to return. No one is really disputing this
Believing that Israel (or any other country in a similar position) would take such move is never a justifiable reason to prevent refugees from reaching sanctuary. Nobody ever doubted or questioned that it was right for Bangladesh to accept Rohingya refugees, or for Armenia to accept refugees from Artsakh, and so on.

The fact of the matter is that huge numbers of Palestinian civilians wished to reach sanctuary and Egypt forcibly prevented them from doing so (and is still doing so).
If any Palestinians wish to flee the strip all together, they are thinking about their immediate survival and probably think they will be allowed to return.

I am Palestinian and I still have family in the West Bank. The broad consensus is that the people of Gaza do not wish to leave the strip and legit fear not being able to return to their homes. I asked my family. Even if the homes are destroyed, it'll be better than living in a tent in the Sinai Desert

Even if Egypt allowed the small number of Palestinians who truly want to leave, Israel will use that as an excuse to commit ethnic cleansing and force everyone out

Saying that the Palestinians want to leave, which isn't true, is repeating fake news propaganda by the far right elements in the current Netanyahu cabinet

It truly amazes me how people on this forum claim to be experts and know more than actual Palestinians. Before a few days ago, people thought both Gaza and the Sinai were "desert" and didn't actually mattered where they lived. Until I pointed on a geographical map that Gaza was in fact not a desert. Of course you have someone liek @Silent Hunter who now denies adovcating for ethnic cleansing. When I reposted hsi own posts, he has since went radio silent
bilaps
« Reply #5280 on: January 15, 2024, 04:56:02 PM »

IRGC claim responsibility for ballistic missile attack in Erbil, Iraq. Rumors of Mosad base being targeted.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5281 on: January 15, 2024, 05:51:21 PM »

Could any of the people changing their avatars and/or usernames in support of Israel despite having no connection to it explain their reasoning for me? Doing it for Gaza makes some sense if you believe that Israel is committing a genocide (see also: the outpouring of support in the form of such changes for the Armenians over the past few years). But there’s neither that nor a ‘plucky little Belgium’ sort of thing going for it. Anyway: please?

Israel supporters would say that Israel was the victim of a genocidal attack on 10/7, so it’s the same logic.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #5282 on: January 15, 2024, 06:31:57 PM »

Israel supporters would say that Israel was the victim of a genocidal attack on 10/7, so it’s the same logic.

Sure, that makes sense. At which point they would also be counting the Israeli intervention in Gaza as genocidal. So then it becomes a matter of supporting a government that is, by such logic, committing genocide against a people who did not (unless by such logic 9/11 was a legitimate military attack against legitimate military targets) (so "you started it!", if someone thought that was an excuse, wouldn't work anyway) during a war against a group that did. On second thought, I don't think it makes sense at all.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5283 on: January 15, 2024, 06:47:24 PM »

Sure, that makes sense. At which point they would also be counting the Israeli intervention in Gaza as genocidal. So then it becomes a matter of supporting a government that is, by such logic, committing genocide against a people who did not (unless by such logic 9/11 was a legitimate military attack against legitimate military targets) (so "you started it!", if someone thought that was an excuse, wouldn't work anyway) during a war against a group that did. On second thought, I don't think it makes sense at all.

They don't count the Israeli intervention in Gaza as genocidal though.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5284 on: January 15, 2024, 06:50:56 PM »

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5285 on: January 15, 2024, 06:53:37 PM »

Highly disturbing developments coming out of Israel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/13/it-is-a-time-of-witch-hunts-in-israel-teacher-held-in-solitary-confinement-for-posting-concern-about-gaza-deaths
An unlikely charge of intent to commit treason landed Meir Baruchin, a grey-haired, softly spoken history and civics teacher, in the solitary confinement wing of Jerusalem’s notorious “Russian Compound” prison in early November.

The evidence compiled by police who handcuffed him, then drove to his apartment and ransacked it as he watched, was a series of Facebook posts he’d made, mourning the civilians killed in Gaza, criticising the Israeli military, and warning against wars of revenge.

“Horrific images are pouring in from Gaza. Entire families were wiped out. I don’t usually upload pictures like this, but look what we do in revenge,” said a message on 8 October, below a picture of the family of Abu Daqqa, killed in one of the first airstrikes on Gaza. “Anyone who thinks this is justified because of what happened yesterday, should unfriend themselves. I ask everyone else to do everything possible to stop this madness. Stop it now. Not later, Now!!!”

Ten days after that Facebook message, he was fired from his teaching job in Petach Tikvah municipality. Less than a month later he was in a high-security jail, detained to give police more time to investigate critical views he had never tried to hide.

He was interrogated again before a second judge ordered his release. Questioners told him his posts were like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, among the most famously antisemitic documents in the world. “I’m a history teacher, so I asked, ‘Did you ever read them?’ They didn’t respond.”

When his name is clear, Baruchin plans to sue Israeli media who reported police charges without asking for his response or looking for evidence, and accused him of justifying and legitimising Hamas.

Only Democracy in the Middle EastTM
That talking point deserves to be shredded, yes. Israel is a fairly typical Middle Eastern country whether or not the people there or elsewhere would hate to acknowledge it.

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes

The people *currently* in charge of Israel see democracy as an inconvenience at best.

Look at who Bibi's mates are - Putin, Orban, Trump. By their friends ye shall know them.

And yet an Israel that has been led by Bibi for so long is still a million times more free, more democratic, and more equal than any of its neighbors.

The last assertion only applies to Jewish Israelis - and
 even among that privileged group there exist wide gaps and social fractures -. The fact that the Middle East is anything but Heaven on Earth should not hide the fact that the "beacon of democracy " is actually an apartheid state that submits millions of Palestinians to a military dictatorship and marginalizes those who are lucky enpugh to be considered citizens (by no means "nationals")
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5286 on: January 15, 2024, 07:06:54 PM »

Re: MENA and democracies other than Israel, I would say Lebanon is a very flawed sort of (??) democracy (although it's in dire shape as a country in general), Tunisia as a country that had democratic promise but is rapidly backsliding under its current President, Turkey as an increasingly authoritarian hybrid regime (also backsliding under its Prime Minister-turned-President), and Kuwait as the least authoritarian of the MENA monarchies, followed by Morocco and Jordan (still not democracies ofc).
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #5287 on: January 15, 2024, 07:14:58 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2024, 09:14:55 PM by Wiswylfen »

They don't count the Israeli intervention in Gaza as genocidal though.

I'm being generous and assuming consistency in their logic rather than it being an afterthought to supporting a particular 'team' because ??.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5288 on: January 15, 2024, 07:15:23 PM »

Highly disturbing developments coming out of Israel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/13/it-is-a-time-of-witch-hunts-in-israel-teacher-held-in-solitary-confinement-for-posting-concern-about-gaza-deaths
An unlikely charge of intent to commit treason landed Meir Baruchin, a grey-haired, softly spoken history and civics teacher, in the solitary confinement wing of Jerusalem’s notorious “Russian Compound” prison in early November.

The evidence compiled by police who handcuffed him, then drove to his apartment and ransacked it as he watched, was a series of Facebook posts he’d made, mourning the civilians killed in Gaza, criticising the Israeli military, and warning against wars of revenge.

“Horrific images are pouring in from Gaza. Entire families were wiped out. I don’t usually upload pictures like this, but look what we do in revenge,” said a message on 8 October, below a picture of the family of Abu Daqqa, killed in one of the first airstrikes on Gaza. “Anyone who thinks this is justified because of what happened yesterday, should unfriend themselves. I ask everyone else to do everything possible to stop this madness. Stop it now. Not later, Now!!!”

Ten days after that Facebook message, he was fired from his teaching job in Petach Tikvah municipality. Less than a month later he was in a high-security jail, detained to give police more time to investigate critical views he had never tried to hide.

He was interrogated again before a second judge ordered his release. Questioners told him his posts were like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, among the most famously antisemitic documents in the world. “I’m a history teacher, so I asked, ‘Did you ever read them?’ They didn’t respond.”

When his name is clear, Baruchin plans to sue Israeli media who reported police charges without asking for his response or looking for evidence, and accused him of justifying and legitimising Hamas.

Only Democracy in the Middle EastTM
That talking point deserves to be shredded, yes. Israel is a fairly typical Middle Eastern country whether or not the people there or elsewhere would hate to acknowledge it.

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes

The people *currently* in charge of Israel see democracy as an inconvenience at best.

Look at who Bibi's mates are - Putin, Orban, Trump. By their friends ye shall know them.

And yet an Israel that has been led by Bibi for so long is still a million times more free, more democratic, and more equal than any of its neighbors.
Not for about 3 million people living under its control in the West Bank.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5289 on: January 15, 2024, 11:06:47 PM »

Netanyahu says that Palestinians convinced Hitler to have the Holocaust.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5290 on: January 16, 2024, 04:37:16 AM »

There was a meeting between Hitler and the leader of Palestine at the time.

But I would hazard a guess the Holocaust was underway by that stage and Hitler was unimpressed by the meeting and had no desire to take advice from the Mufti.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5291 on: January 16, 2024, 04:44:45 AM »

Australia did not even get a mention in pulverising the Yemeni terrorists. We need to get some practice in for our F-18's next time.

Some Mufti Headcase

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2JDsN8IaeI/
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5292 on: January 16, 2024, 10:19:27 AM »

A claim he has made before.

In the real world, it certainly qualifies as hate speech and at least arguably as objectively AS.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5293 on: January 16, 2024, 10:35:17 AM »

A claim he has made before.

In the real world, it certainly qualifies as hate speech and at least arguably as objectively AS.

It’s not hate speech.  It’s just really, really, really dumb nonsense that makes Netanyahu sound like an idiot.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5294 on: January 16, 2024, 10:52:50 AM »

Biden to Netanyahu is basically the equivalent of Lukashenko to Putin
Ok you're going to have to help me here: who's Putin and who's Lukashenko in this analogy? Because Netanyahu's style, rhetoric, and worldview are much more similar to Putin's than to Biden's. And I'm not sure Lukashenko even has an ideology aside from very vague nostalgia for the Soviet Union and just holding on to power.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5295 on: January 16, 2024, 12:37:40 PM »

Bernie will be forcing a vote tonight. Obviously it will fail, but I'm interested to see where everyone stands.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5296 on: January 16, 2024, 12:46:15 PM »

Will be interesting to see which Dems have a conscious.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5297 on: January 16, 2024, 01:01:14 PM »

I'm guessing around 45+ of them, minus Bernie, Warren, Markey, and a few strays!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5298 on: January 16, 2024, 01:04:37 PM »

I'm guessing it'll be about 85-15. Van Hollen, Warren, Markey and Merkley are guaranteed yeas. A ceasefire polls extremely well so I think a few other Dems from more liberal states might surprise here.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5299 on: January 16, 2024, 01:07:38 PM »

I'm guessing it'll be about 85-15. Van Hollen, Warren, Markey and Merkley are guaranteed yeas. A ceasefire polls extremely well so I think a few other Dems from more liberal states might surprise here.

Hamas basically saying Israel needs to do a unilateral permanent ceasefire before they'll even negotiate about the hostages has probably taken a lot of that momentum away. Remember, Biden already brokered one successful ceasefire, which he gets zero credit for.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies