Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:52:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 222482 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4675 on: December 25, 2023, 10:09:48 AM »

Glad this thread has turned into a bickering argument between 2 ppl. You two should both do something that starts with an f and has 4 letters, it would ease a lot of the tension here.

Food is for eating, not throwing.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #4676 on: December 25, 2023, 10:15:32 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hamas-islamic-jihad-reject-giving-up-power-return-permanent-ceasefire-egyptian-2023-12-25/

Hamas rejects a permanent ceasefire proposal. I'm sure the "pro Palestine" protestors will respond by protesting against Hamas...
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4677 on: December 25, 2023, 11:00:51 AM »

Glad this thread has turned into a bickering argument between 2 ppl. You two should both do something that starts with an f and has 4 letters, it would ease a lot of the tension here.

This person has long been delusional on here. He thinks if we stop any military assistance to Israel that Iran will invade, conquer the country quickly.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #4678 on: December 25, 2023, 11:07:02 AM »

This person has long been delusional on here. He thinks if we stop any military assistance to Israel that Iran will invade, conquer the country quickly.

Not Iran- a dissolution of the US-Israeli alliance would likely lead to Egypt and Jordan quickly flipping to anti-Israel positions and literally all of Israel's neighbours invading, in which sheer numbers mean that unfortunately I doubt the Israeli state would stand much chance of survival.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4679 on: December 25, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »

Not Iran- a dissolution of the US-Israeli alliance would likely lead to Egypt and Jordan quickly flipping to anti-Israel positions and literally all of Israel's neighbours invading, in which sheer numbers mean that unfortunately I doubt the Israeli state would stand much chance of survival.

Unlikely. It just means that the Israeli navy would undergo an expansion to the point that the Israeli government is 110% sure they can't be first striked without still being able to annihilate everyone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin-class_submarine

The Dolphin 2 class submarines are the largest to have been built in Germany since World War II and the most expensive single vehicles in the Israel Defense Forces.[3][8] The Dolphin class replaced the aging Gal class, which had served in the Israeli navy since the late 1970s. Each Dolphin-class submarine is capable of carrying a combined total of up to 16 torpedoes and Popeye Turbo submarine-launched cruise missiles (SLCMs).[9] The cruise missiles have a range of at least 1,500 km (930 mi)[10] and are widely believed[11][12] to be equipped with a 200 kiloton nuclear warhead containing up to 6 kilograms (13 lb) of plutonium.[13][14] The latter, if true, would provide Israel with an offshore nuclear second-strike capability.[15][16][17][18]

And since Egypt and Jordan are aware of this, they would also choose not to attack Israel, at least not in any remotely existential way.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4680 on: December 25, 2023, 12:53:47 PM »

Cutting ties with Israel would have negative consequences for US intelligence gathering in the region. It would also harm the US' ability to defend its interests in the region. Despite the extreme behavior from many Israeli factions, dissolving the US-Israel relationship completely would not be in the interest of the United States.
We could stop giving them a blank check, but for us to do that we as a country will have to realize it's a more nuanced situation than what the mainstream in this country has long thought.  Change on this front won't come from politicians, it'll have to come from a sea change in the society itself towards equal rights for all - Jew and Gentile - in the Holy Land. Politicians in a majority of scenarios are mere managers after all.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4681 on: December 25, 2023, 02:35:25 PM »

Cutting ties with Israel would have negative consequences for US intelligence gathering in the region. It would also harm the US' ability to defend its interests in the region. Despite the extreme behavior from many Israeli factions, dissolving the US-Israel relationship completely would not be in the interest of the United States.
We could stop giving them a blank check, but for us to do that we as a country will have to realize it's a more nuanced situation than what the mainstream in this country has long thought.  Change on this front won't come from politicians, it'll have to come from a sea change in the society itself towards equal rights for all - Jew and Gentile - in the Holy Land. Politicians in a majority of scenarios are mere managers after all.

Finding nuance gets difficult when AIPAC spends obscene amounts of money to control certain politicians - Richie Torres is a particularly egregious example. Looking at his Twitter you'd think he represented Tel Aviv and perhaps spent summers in the Bronx.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4682 on: December 25, 2023, 05:07:48 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2023, 05:14:13 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

If nuclear weapons are not so hard to make, then why don't you have any?

This question is so stupid that I am not even going to dignify it with an answer.

Dude, just be honest and admit that you want Hamas to murder all the (((Jews))).  No one who has even half a brain cell believes you’re not a rabid anti-Semite.  Then again, I suppose you did basically admit as much with your bizarre fantasizing about an imaginary Hamas victory.

Those are your words, not mine.

What I want is for the US to cut off aid to Israel.

What happens after that is no longer the US's problem.

Israel and Iran can blow each other up for all I care.

Press X to doubt

Since you are having a tough time reading between the lines, let me just tell you...

I am less concerned about Israel committing genocide.

I am more concerned about the US being complicit in Israel committing genocide.

If the US stops sending aid to Israel and covering its ass, then it's much harder to argue that the US is being complicit.

It's hard to claim moral authority around the world when one is being complicit in a genocide.

Luckily, Israel isn’t committing genocide, so no worries on that front.  

Even Joe Biden, a self-proclaimed Zionist, admitted that Israel is indiscriminately bombing Gaza.

1) Let’s say, just for discussion sake, that it were true that Israel was indiscriminately bombing Gaza with no concern whatsoever for military value of targets or lack thereof or potential civilian collateral and were doing this as a deliberate strategy (they’re not, but let’s say you are right and they are).  That would not be genocide in any way, shape, or form.  It would definitely be a brutal war crime, but it objectively would not be genocide.  That you seem to think it would be suggests you genuinely don’t understand what genocide is.  Yes, we all know you can Google the term and copy paste a definition, but you clearly don’t understand what it is or you’d have chosen an example of alleged conduct that…you know…would actually be genocide if Israel was doing it.

2) ROTFL.  I literally made that post as an experiment/test and boy did you flunk it.  I decided to make a lazy, one line drive by response with little-to-no thought put into it paired with a substantive, nuanced, detailed, and thoughtful response to your latest schtick and see what type of conversation you were actually looking to have in this thread.  Disappointingly, although unsurprisingly, you picked the one sentence section deliberately designed to be as devoid of substance as possible while not even acknowledging anything else in the post, much less actively engaging with it.  Really says a lot about what you’re looking to do here and none of it good.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4683 on: December 25, 2023, 05:53:05 PM »

This question is so stupid that I am not even going to dignify it with an answer.

Dude, just be honest and admit that you want Hamas to murder all the (((Jews))).  No one who has even half a brain cell believes you’re not a rabid anti-Semite.  Then again, I suppose you did basically admit as much with your bizarre fantasizing about an imaginary Hamas victory.

Press X to doubt

Since you are having a tough time reading between the lines, let me just tell you...

If the US stops sending aid to Israel and covering its ass, then it's much harder to argue that the US is being complicit.

It's hard to claim moral authority around the world when one is being complicit in a genocide.

Even Joe Biden, a self-proclaimed Zionist, admitted that Israel is indiscriminately bombing Gaza.

1) Let’s say, just for discussion sake, that it were true that Israel was indiscriminately bombing Gaza with no concern whatsoever for military value of targets or lack thereof or potential civilian collateral and were doing this as a deliberate strategy (they’re not, but let’s say you are right and they are).  That would not be genocide in any way, shape, or form.  It would definitely be a brutal war crime, but it objectively would not be genocide.  That you seem to think it would be suggests you genuinely don’t understand what genocide is.  Yes, we all know you can Google the term and copy paste a definition, but you clearly don’t understand what it is or you’d have chosen an example of alleged conduct that…you know…would actually be genocide if Israel was doing it.

2) ROTFL.  I literally made that post as an experiment/test and boy did you flunk it.  I decided to make a lazy, one line drive by response with little-to-no thought put into it paired with a substantive, nuanced, detailed, and thoughtful response to your latest schtick and see what type of conversation you were actually looking to have in this thread.  Disappointingly, although unsurprisingly, you picked the one sentence section deliberately designed to be as devoid of substance as possible while not even acknowledging anything else in the post, much less actively engaging with it.  Really says a lot about what you’re looking to do here and none of it good.

Since you don't agree with the United Nations's definition of genocide, define "genocide" for me.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4684 on: December 25, 2023, 06:17:06 PM »

Cutting ties with Israel would have negative consequences ......

Following September 11, Israel did not cut ties with the US, and the US will never cut ties with Israel after October 7.

Israel-US-Australia-UK is here to stay now.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4685 on: December 25, 2023, 06:24:37 PM »

Cutting ties with Israel would have negative consequences ......

Following September 11, Israel did not cut ties with the US, and the US will never cut ties with Israel after October 7.

Israel-US-Australia-UK is here to stay now.

Why would Israel cut ties with its benefactor?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4686 on: December 25, 2023, 07:35:17 PM »

The Chinese still needed British and American help to remove the Japanese. There is no external military intervention coming that can stop Israeli aircraft from bombing at will.

Without US’s protection, Iran would come right through the front door.

And there wouldn't be an Iran five minutes after that.

LOL.

Iran is no match for the United States, but Israel is another story.

I mean, yeah, fundamentally it is unlikely that Israel could beat an Iranian army in the field...but Israel is also a nuclear-armed state, and Iran is not. If Israel's survival came down to beating an Iranian army in the field, then there would just no longer be an Iran. (If 'Samson Option' stuff is true, and Israeli nuclear policy follows US/Soviet Cold War examples, then probably many other countries would also be hit at the same time and also essentially cease to exist, as punishment for failing to stop the war. Both the US and Soviet Union planned to hit neutral countries -- famously Finland would've been annihilated twice over if there were a nuclear war between the 1950s and 1980s).

This is all academic, because if there's one thing this war has taught us it is that the Palestinians keep alienating their allies. Iran didn't intervene in this war, and won't in the next one. (Also not entirely clear where such a conflict would take place).

(Also, "without US help Iran would go through the front door"...literally where and how? They don't border each other and Iranian interventions in Iraq/Syria/everywhere have met with large-scale local resistance.)
There were no US plans to nuke Finland during the Cold War. I googled several sources and none suggest that, although Finland was going to be uninhabitable from fallout coming from Leningrad. In fact Finland had security guarantees from both the US and Soviet Union

There were absolutely US plans to nuke Finland in the Cold War.

Nuclear targets and targeting principles were closely guarded secrets. U.S. target maps of Finland from the late 1950s show specific target symbols on facilities such as airfields, ports, and bridges. All possible targets comprised the National Strategic Target List (NSTL), while the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP, from 1960 onwards) was a blueprint that specified the value of these targets, the conditions under which they were to be attacked, and the order and priority of targets to be engaged. The Bombing Encyclopedia produced by the United States Air Force and intelligence services was an attempt to list all potential targets anywhere in the world; this document was first created in 1946, and over the years it assumed increasingly massive dimensions, including bombing targets in both “hostile nations” and in neutral countries, such as Finland.

In the bombing charts in 1950's targets were marked with different symbols – in the capital Helsinki and many other places in Finland – such as airfields, harbors, bridges, road junctions, factories, military bases, radio stations and fuel depots30. Even Siikakangas, an abandoned, grassy airfield in central Finland was among the targets. Why? Obviously because the government was just at the time considering moving the main base of the Finnish air force there – far from borders and population centres.31

The Chinese still needed British and American help to remove the Japanese. There is no external military intervention coming that can stop Israeli aircraft from bombing at will.

Without US’s protection, Iran would come right through the front door.

And do what?

Apparently in pppolitics' world, even if Iran could manage to inflict conventional military defeat against Israel in an offensive war, for some reason Iran would have no need to be at all concerned about Israeli nukes.

Maybe pppolitics knows something we don't about that, but I doubt it.

Let's stop pretending that Iran doesn't have nukes.

Literally nobody -- not Iran or its allies or its enemies -- claims Iran has nukes, even though such a claim would be cheap to make. It's a laughable claim.

Also, like, the whole logic of MAD is that having nukes is a poor defense against your enemy having nukes. This wouldn't stop Iran from getting destroyed in a war against Israel.

I don't think you understand. Nuclear weapons are not hard to make.

The reason that not every random country has nuclear weapons is not that those countries don't have smart enough scientists, but because there is a lot of political pressure not to have them (NPT, sanctions, etc.).

The reality is that nuclear weapons are not impossibly hard to make, even for quite poor countries like North Korea, but they are sufficiently difficult that even developed countries (like 1960s-1970s-era Sweden) have struggled with the task in the past. Iran probably would have them by now if not for active measures on the part of the US and Israel (including economic sanctions, and things like assassinating scientists), but they have clearly been trying for a long time and not succeeded. (Israel, for the record, would probably have never developed them if not for the active cooperation of nuclear-armed 1960s-era France, on top of spying within the United States.)

Let's stop beating around the bushes and say the obvious:

Hamas has won!

Hamas knows that it can't beat Israel militarily, so it baited Israel into committing genocide for the entire world to see.

Israel is now more isolated than ever and every terrorist killed will be replaced with 10 new ones.

Hamas is a victim of their own success. They underestimated the damage they would do on October 7th and had no plan on what would happen afterwards. Now Sinwar is hiding in a tunnel under a refugee camp desperately trying not to get caught. Pretending this is some brilliant tactical coup by the Hamas leadership is such a big brain take that I'm not even sure how to respond.
Hamas isn't primarily fighting for military supremacy. It's fighting for the support of the Arab street. And in that it has been largely successful.

Has it actually? This feels like the most tepid response from the Arab street essentially ever. There are no protests anywhere calling for intervention, which I remember were a thing in the 2006 war, and you have countries semi-openly taking Israel's side (like Saudi Arabia or Bahrain shooting down missiles), not denying that they are taking Israel's side behind the scenes (as with Egypt or Jordan), or particular sides in civil wars just openly taking Israel's side (as with the anti-Houthi STC in Yemen just celebrating Israeli victories).

The odd thing about this war compared to every other war Israel has ever fought is that the response from, like, every part of the world is more favorable than it has ever been. (Might say more about how intensely unfavorable global opinion used to be, but, well, it never made a dent in the actual situation).
In terms of who is the most visible anti Israel actor (a more valuable niche than ever, one with considerable prestige) Hamas has entrenched itself and claimed additional relevance atop that. Anything else is probably secondary to Hamas (well, except maybe the patronage of Iran, which has additional proxies such as PIJ). Opposition to Israel is like water in a storm, it's inevitably going to manifest into something. Hamas itself is just the most recent actor to fill that niche. The public is protesting Western multinationals such as Starbucks instead of directly calling for their countries to join, perhaps something that has gotten more highlighting since the settlements in the West Bank are funded in significant part due to Western money. The general feeling is that boycotts are a tactic that can be relied on to work.

Israel's situation isn't actually that bad short-term on a PR front, despite their manifest incompetence/complacency on this (like seriously, what purpose does yellow stars in the UN serve? What friends do you make by demanding the UN Sec Gen resign?). A lot of people have made fun of the calendar thing and that's the more long-term cost coming into play... If people don't trust you, then they won't listen to what you have to say. Hamas is a far more professional outfit than in the past. It's possible that for Israel, while things are among the best they've been diplomatically in regards to concrete action (the anger is expressed more through words than anything else, at least in the First and Second Worlds), other facets are more against them. It's ironic, maybe. It is what it is.

It will be hard for either side to claim clear-cut victory here. And both sides are inclined to overweight their victories.

I just don't think this is "a more valuable niche than ever" if you have Arab governments and militias turning against the Palestinians, on top of the governments of the US and the European Union and India, and this is cleanly demonstrated by elections in distant lands during this war returning pro-Israel leadership teams in countries which have little reason to care. Iran and Hezbollah not intervening just underscores the point that Israel's friends care about the outcome and the Palestinians' friends don't (...though I remain unconvinced that Hezbollah intervening was actually ever a particularly serious possibility; if Sinwar thought so then he had drunk his own Kool-Aid).
Those aren’t plans to nuke Finland. That is a list of possible targets if the US ever did plan to nuke Finland. The US has war plans for every nation on earth, even Allies

Honestly surprised you responded to my post considering you refused to respond to my other posts that rebuked your arguments with evidence
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4687 on: December 25, 2023, 08:08:22 PM »

Christmas Carol's Disrupted

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1Q_T9ApUkO/

You don't even have to say anything anymore. These moron's do all the work for you.

I am sure the families at the Annual Christmas Carol's event in Melbourne were suitably impressed with taking the children off the stage whilst security dragged a couple of protestors away.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4688 on: December 25, 2023, 08:12:26 PM »

Press X to doubt

Since you don't agree with the United Nations's definition of genocide, define "genocide" for me.

You’re only digging yourself into an even deeper hole.  Just put down the shovel and admit that you don’t know what you’re talking about.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4689 on: December 25, 2023, 08:47:31 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2023, 09:00:29 PM by pppolitics »

Press X to doubt

You’re only digging yourself into an even deeper hole.  Just put down the shovel and admit that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Israel is denying visas to UN employees.

Coincidence?

The problem isn't that I don't know what genocide is.

The problem is that you don't know what genocide is.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4690 on: December 25, 2023, 08:52:02 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

That would probably be because of the revelation that UNRWA employees were cooperating with Hamas and in one case were actually used to hold hostages.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4691 on: December 25, 2023, 08:59:22 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

That would probably be because of the revelation that UNRWA employees were cooperating with Hamas and in one case were actually used to hold hostages.

Source?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4692 on: December 25, 2023, 09:19:15 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

Source?

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-775777
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4693 on: December 25, 2023, 09:26:03 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

Source?

Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4694 on: December 25, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

Source?

The accused denying their crimes is not evidence.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4695 on: December 25, 2023, 10:25:28 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2023, 10:30:48 PM by pppolitics »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

Source?

It's an accusation.

Unless verified, it's not a crime.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4696 on: December 25, 2023, 10:33:11 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

Source?

It's an accusation.

A hostage identifying their captor is absolutely evidence of a crime.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4697 on: December 25, 2023, 10:41:41 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

Source?

It's an accusation.

A hostage identifying their captor is absolutely evidence of a crime.

If I "identified" Obama as the person stealing mail from my neighbor's mailbox, that's an accusation, not evidence.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4698 on: December 25, 2023, 10:58:06 PM »

Press X to doubt

Coincidence?

The problem isn't that I don't know what genocide is.

The problem is that you don't know what genocide is.

The problem is that you don’t know what genocide is nor do you care because you’re only in this to cheerlead the mass murder of (((Jews))).  

Accusing anyone who doubts Israel is telling the unvarnished truth is not wanting to mass murder Jews. This is why Israel is losing the propaganda war. People who question you are not all filthy anti-semites who would have been Nazis in the 1940s, and it would do you and other supporters of Israel a lot of good to remember that.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4699 on: December 25, 2023, 10:58:17 PM »

These sort of things spell the end for Hamas. Basically, the IDF will give no credibility to any or all of the people in Gaza pretending to be from UN related functions.

Cannot wait to see what Egypt and Jordan say after this war about their lack of co-operation and help for the basic Palestinians on the ground.

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies