Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 03:54:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 315
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 225949 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2800 on: October 20, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »

Boy, all that hand-wringing from the Israeli government about how they just had to stay neutral on Ukraine vs Russia because of Reasons™️ and they can’t even get a condemnation of Hamas from Russia when they need it most. Great geopolitical strategy, Likudniks!  Unamused

Netanyahu might actually be pro-Putin, another fail from him, but this began under Bennett and Lapid - and it wasn't because they thought Russia would be on their side, it was because Putin was no doubt threatening to unleash his Syrian proxies on the border. Something he still might do simply because he's a sadistic monster.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2801 on: October 20, 2023, 03:58:03 PM »

Another under-discussed issue involving the domestic backlash to Neganyahu is that his government is clearly not prioritizing hostages. There was a scandal where a pro-Likud activist posing as a family member of a hostage praised him at some kind of press conference.
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #2802 on: October 20, 2023, 04:02:35 PM »

Boy, all that hand-wringing from the Israeli government about how they just had to stay neutral on Ukraine vs Russia because of Reasons™️ and they can’t even get a condemnation of Hamas from Russia when they need it most. Great geopolitical strategy, Likudniks!  Unamused

Netanyahu might actually be pro-Putin, another fail from him, but this began under Bennett and Lapid - and it wasn't because they thought Russia would be on their side, it was because Putin was no doubt threatening to unleash his Syrian proxies on the border. Something he still might do simply because he's a sadistic monster.

Well, letting the Iranians and Russians run amok in Syria up to and including the use of WMDs on civilians because “anyone fighting the Syrian government is an ISIS-Al Qaida-Jihadist-Western Puppet-Etc” hasn’t exactly turned out well for Israel then, has it? More examples of the utter disaster for Israeli national security that the Israeli foreign policy has led to. Anyone in Israel who still supports Likud and its allies is insane or a traitor to Israel.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2803 on: October 20, 2023, 04:04:57 PM »

Again Channel 4 are a respected news source with a history of investigative journalism. It's vital that concerns over the version of events are investigated and addressed by the media.
strangerinthealps
Rookie
United States
« Reply #2804 on: October 20, 2023, 04:15:50 PM »

More leaks alongside Petraeus estimate of 10 years:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-bidens-washington/the-week-when-biden-hugged-bibi

"How grim? Some senior Israeli officials told the Americans to expect a war that could last as long as ten years."

I dont think American public support would last 10 months of war in the Middle East, certainly not 10 years.

10 years might be a conservative estimate, depending on whether the other Iranian proxies decide to call Biden's bluff and pile on.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/how-iran-s-axis-of-resistance-is-moving-in-for-the-kill/ar-AA1iAgqg?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=c561106a27de42108f7ebd6168ff51d6&ei=15

“Twenty attacks from Lebanon into Israeli territory… Hezbollah recalling its cadres from abroad… clashes on the West Bank up by 470 per cent… Iranian-backed militias in Iraq hitting US troops … up to 500 Iraqi Popular Mobilisation Forces arrived in Syria and Lebanon…” – the list goes on and on."

I mean, I don't think it is overstating the situation to say that Israel is facing an existential crisis at this point.

Unfortunately, there's something to be said for that large a sum of warm bodies indiscriminately spraying 7.62 around.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #2805 on: October 20, 2023, 04:16:19 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-20/us-pressing-israel-to-delay-gaza-invasion-to-win-hostage-release

"US Presses Israel to Delay Gaza Invasion to Get Hostages Out:

Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2806 on: October 20, 2023, 04:27:14 PM »

It does feel like that honestly.

The intelligence services of France, the UK and the USA have all backed that it wasn't Israel.

I'm sure it's more complicated than "A Hamas rocket malfunctioned" but I don't have the patience for cherry picking small details to try and exonerate Hamas.
strangerinthealps
Rookie
United States
« Reply #2807 on: October 20, 2023, 04:28:25 PM »

Again Channel 4 are a respected news source with a history of investigative journalism. It's vital that concerns over the version of events are investigated and addressed by the media.

Is it, though?

I mean, the damage is already done. As far as the Arab world is concerned, the Israelis launched a missile, destroying a hospital and killing 5000 women and children. They simply won't accept any other narrative.

Also, with no unbiased forensic efforts on the ground, I'm dubious of how much we can actually know.

Channel 4 may be a respected news source, but they aren't stating that. They are attributing it to another group who says there 'may' be a scenario in which Israel is responsible for the strike.

That's not exactly a smoking gun, and we'll likely never get one, as we'll likely never have the opportunity for a thorough investigation of the sort you'd find in the west.

Even if you did, people will believe what they want to believe. There is always room to suspect a cover-up or doubt a source or hold an alternate theory.

There are still quite a few people who believe that the US government, or even the Israelis planted demolition charges in the WTC on 9/11.

I rest my case.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2808 on: October 20, 2023, 04:36:21 PM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2809 on: October 20, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »

Israel has treated Ukraine terribly over the past year and a half. I don't know why Zelensky is still trying to suck up to them.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2810 on: October 20, 2023, 05:00:13 PM »

Israel has treated Ukraine terribly over the past year and a half. I don't know why Zelensky is still trying to suck up to them.

To get more of their support, maybe? Since Russia is aligning with Palestine.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2811 on: October 20, 2023, 05:05:27 PM »

Boy, all that hand-wringing from the Israeli government about how they just had to stay neutral on Ukraine vs Russia because of Reasons™️ and they can’t even get a condemnation of Hamas from Russia when they need it most. Great geopolitical strategy, Likudniks!  Unamused

Cozying up to Israel will make Ukraine toxic to a lot of the more neutral parties. Ukraine is far more popular on the international stage than Israel and I don't understand why he'd try to jeopardize that. Look at how much America's obsequiesness to Israel has hurt us in the middle east.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2812 on: October 20, 2023, 05:08:24 PM »

Boy, all that hand-wringing from the Israeli government about how they just had to stay neutral on Ukraine vs Russia because of Reasons™️ and they can’t even get a condemnation of Hamas from Russia when they need it most. Great geopolitical strategy, Likudniks!  Unamused

Cozying up to Israel will make Ukraine toxic to a lot of the more neutral parties. Ukraine is far more popular on the international stage than Israel and I don't understand why he'd try to jeopardize that. Look at how much America's obsequiesness to Israel has hurt us in the middle east.

Israel is popular with the governments where Ukraine is popular though, so not sure if I understand your point. General population opinions don’t really matter that much and it’s not like pro-Palestinian westerners will start cheering for Russia over Ukraine only because they think Russia is more correct than Ukraine on the matter of Israel/Gaza.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2813 on: October 20, 2023, 05:11:18 PM »

Israel is popular with the governments where Ukraine is popular though, so not sure if I understand your point. General population opinions don’t really matter that much and it’s not like pro-Palestinian westerners will start cheering for Russia over Ukraine only because they think Russia is more correct than Ukraine on the matter of Israel/Gaza.

I certainly won't, but I wouldn't bet on that. Some people are very "enemy of my enemy" and have no moral compass otherwise.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2814 on: October 20, 2023, 05:19:25 PM »

No they are not. Literally everyone who supports Ukraine also supports Israel here and the one exception to that Rule is India who supports Israel but does not support Ukraine.

So Israel has more support on the world stage than Ukraine does
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2815 on: October 20, 2023, 05:21:14 PM »

No they are not. Literally everyone who supports Ukraine also supports Israel here and the one exception to that Rule is India who supports Israel but does not support Ukraine.

Only like 10 countries at the UN support Russia's imperialism but whenever something comes up about supporting human rights for Palestinians and condemning the illegal settlements pretty much every country besides the US, Israel and Palau vote in favor.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2816 on: October 20, 2023, 05:22:27 PM »

Only like 10 countries at the UN support Russia's imperialism but whenever something comes up about supporting human rights for Palestinians and condemning the illegal settlements pretty much every country besides the US, Israel and Palau vote in favor.

I was counting the neutrals as Pro Russia here
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2817 on: October 20, 2023, 05:24:27 PM »

Wow

Wait, if Israel waits with the ground offensive until the hostages are released isn't that an incentive for Hamas not to release the hostages?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2818 on: October 20, 2023, 05:28:50 PM »

Wait, isn't the fact that this Forensic Architecture organization is using the term IOF (as in "Israeli Offensive Force") instead of  IDF an indicator for an anti-Israel bias?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2819 on: October 20, 2023, 05:31:39 PM »

"children of light" - Benjamin Netanyahu
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #2820 on: October 20, 2023, 05:45:02 PM »

Anything to get more military support/reduce Russia’s support. Given that the Venn diagram of anti-Ukraine/anti-Israel governments overlaps considerably, it’s a pragmatic move. I agree with you in how Israel has treated Ukraine, but Ukraine doesn’t have a lot of options. Maybe Zelensky is hoping Israel will stop blocking weapons transfers that require Israeli approval?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2821 on: October 20, 2023, 06:48:31 PM »

and the people who believe Michael Brown was murdered by the police

...He literally was. Wtf are you talking about?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2822 on: October 20, 2023, 07:05:43 PM »

As it turns out, the Israeli's had already bombed this hospital a few days previously. But of course they wouldn't do such a thing a second time.

https://www.anglicannews.org/news/2023/10/anglican-run-al-ahli-arab-hospital-in-gaza-damaged-by-israeli-rocket-fire-as-conflict-continues.aspx

Not a good day for the credibility of neoconservative propagandists and online intelligence assets spreading naked disinfo.

The horseshoe theory is real especially when it comes to foreign policy

Every time I see this term thrown around, it involves reactions to people expressing their empathy for mistreated, bombed or starving people (yes, even brown people — shocking!) and their opposition to the actors committing those crimes, so it probably says a lot more about the 'centrist' people using that term than it does about the term itself..
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2823 on: October 20, 2023, 07:11:35 PM »

As it turns out, the Israeli's had already bombed this hospital a few days previously. But of course they wouldn't do such a thing a second time.

https://www.anglicannews.org/news/2023/10/anglican-run-al-ahli-arab-hospital-in-gaza-damaged-by-israeli-rocket-fire-as-conflict-continues.aspx

Not a good day for the credibility of neoconservative propagandists and online intelligence assets spreading naked disinfo.

The horseshoe theory is real especially when it comes to foreign policy

Every time I see this term thrown around, it involves reactions to people expressing their empathy for mistreated, bombed or starving people (yes, even brown people — shocking!) and their opposition to the actors committing those crimes, so it probably says a lot more about the 'centrist' people using that term than it does about the term itself..

Israel didnt commit those crimes
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #2824 on: October 20, 2023, 07:14:22 PM »

It appears as if the reports that the IDF bombed that hospital in Gaza have been verified to be false. Does this mean that we should call into question reports indicating that the IDF is using white phosphorous in Gaza?
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 315  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies