Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:13:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 295
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 208250 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: October 13, 2023, 05:39:00 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna120272

An independent UN investigation may be needed at this point. These are extremely serious claims and HRW is not some fringe organization.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #2001 on: October 13, 2023, 05:44:57 PM »

Hamas intentionally uses hospitals and schools as rocket launch sites, weapons caches, and bunkers precisely because they know people will react this way (and that the IDF will be much more reluctant to take out these military resources).  Even their military headquarters is located within a hospital. Israel can't just throw up their hands and refuse to do anything about this because of where Hamas puts their bases and resources. That's why Israel is telling this hospital to evacuate - it's home to a major weapons cache that they plan to eliminate. Using civilians as human shields in this way is absolutely central to Hamas strategy and everyone sufficiently familiar with the conflict knows this.

Using civilians as human shields is also extremely illegal under international law, yet I don't think the UN has ever once condemned Hamas for it, despite their constant condemnations of Israel. This doesn't really matter to me because I know UN public diplomacy related to this conflict is a total farce, but many people's perceptions are influenced by it so unfortunately it does matter in the broader picture.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #2002 on: October 13, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »

This was isn't good for my health at all. Mainly because I have to see so many Ben Shapiro videos. Ben Shapiro is an evil man.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2003 on: October 13, 2023, 05:58:43 PM »

Hamas intentionally uses hospitals and schools as rocket launch sites, weapons caches, and bunkers precisely because they know people will react this way (and that the IDF will be much more reluctant to take out these military resources).  Even their military headquarters is located within a hospital. Israel can't just throw up their hands and refuse to do anything about this because of where Hamas puts their bases and resources. That's why Israel is telling this hospital to evacuate - it's home to a major weapons cache that they plan to eliminate. Using civilians as human shields in this way is absolutely central to Hamas strategy and everyone sufficiently familiar with the conflict knows this.

Using civilians as human shields is also extremely illegal under international law, yet I don't think the UN has ever once condemned Hamas for it, despite their constant condemnations of Israel. This doesn't really matter to me because I know UN public diplomacy related to this conflict is a total farce, but many people's perceptions are influenced by it so unfortunately it does matter in the broader picture.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2004 on: October 13, 2023, 05:59:24 PM »

This was isn't good for my health at all. Mainly because I have to see so many Ben Shapiro videos. Ben Shapiro is an evil man.

Ben Shapiro>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tucker Carlson
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #2005 on: October 13, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »

You can oppose terrorism and oppose foreign aid.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #2006 on: October 13, 2023, 06:05:56 PM »

snip
When someone has a rocket launch site operating out of a hospital and they keep shooting rockets at you and killing your citizens, should your military just sit there and not doing anything about it? That would be not caring about your citizens.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2007 on: October 13, 2023, 06:07:23 PM »

When someone has a rocket launch site operating out of a hospital and they keep shooting rockets at you and killing your citizens, should your military just sit there and not doing anything about it?
No but that doesn’t change the fact it’s a cynical loss of human life and countless innocents and I’m not going to play some moral high ground bulls**t while doing it.

Now how about Israel stops diverting all the military to protect invading extremists in West Bank next time?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2008 on: October 13, 2023, 06:12:38 PM »

It's a difficult situation. I understand that due to Israeli military action there's a humanitarian crisis in the making in Gaza. On the other hand, given how far Hamas has crossed the line, I also understand the Israeli desire to settle this once and for all now. So the impending ground offensive conveys the feeling of certain historical inevitability. To quote Ambassador Kosh: "The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote." One can only hope for a quick Israeli victory, instead of a prolonged bloodbath. America appears to try to be a moderating influence, so that's a ray of hope. Imagine Trump being in charge right now, spouting off his usual nonsense.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2009 on: October 13, 2023, 06:19:28 PM »

I hope people don't still take the "human shields" argument at face value. Should have lost traction right around the time they bombed Red Crescent workers after briefly ceasing bombing to let them rescue wounded civilians.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2010 on: October 13, 2023, 06:36:03 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2023, 06:41:03 PM by Velasco »

Addressing the humanitarian crisis in Gaza requires more decisive action, in order to restrain the Israeli government to take revenge on the Gaza population. It is monstrous to tell one million of Gazans to flee, in what looks like the prelude to a massive ethnic cleansing. The statements of president Herzog are equally monstrous.  Herzog claims that there are no innocent civilians and that all the population of Gaza bears a collective guilt for Hamas atrocious actions, which sounds like an incitement to the most savage and unrestrained revenge and must be interpreted as such. During the following hours a terrific and unrestrained horror could unleash in the martiryzed Gaza. The impending massacre could be also a turning point for the Western World aligned to Israel, because nothing will be the same for us if we do nothing to prevent the most unspeakable horrors. This is a serious historical moment

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2011 on: October 13, 2023, 06:43:04 PM »

If Brandon wants my vote he needs to set hard limits and enforce them.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #2012 on: October 13, 2023, 06:44:52 PM »

A zionist justifying slaughtering kids and won't fight for his homeland is not better than a man hoping for peace
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2013 on: October 13, 2023, 06:55:31 PM »

A zionist justifying slaughtering kids and won't fight for his homeland is not better than a man hoping for peace

Tucker Carlson wants the peace of the graveyard. Also, take this BS to USGD.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2014 on: October 13, 2023, 06:59:38 PM »

This sounds dangerously close to a "dual loyalty" argument...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2015 on: October 13, 2023, 07:01:33 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-hamas-war-china-attack-d572e4169dd7f451cb2b2197506bc74c
BEIJING (AP) — A 50-year-old Israeli man who works at the Israeli Embassy in Beijing was stabbed Friday in front of a supermarket, Chinese police and the Israeli government said.

Beijing police said they had arrested a suspect, a 53-year-old foreign man. They described the victim as a family member of an Israeli diplomat. No motive was given for the attack, and it was unclear if it was connected to the war between Israel and the militant group Hamas.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2016 on: October 13, 2023, 07:02:09 PM »

I say Evangelical Christians have dual loyalty all the time and no one bats an eye. Unlike the Evangelicals, I do not believe that the vast, vast majority of Jewish Americans have dual loyalty. I am, however, unsure about Ben Shapiro.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2017 on: October 13, 2023, 07:03:10 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2018 on: October 13, 2023, 07:07:53 PM »

Genuine question: obviously Hamas have always been a genocidal totalitarian terror cult, but were they always this bad or did the events of last weekend surprise even by their standards?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2019 on: October 13, 2023, 07:07:55 PM »

I say Evangelical Christians have dual loyalty all the time and no one bats an eye. Unlike the Evangelicals, I do not believe that the vast, vast majority of Jewish Americans have dual loyalty. I am, however, unsure about Ben Shapiro.

I think the real point to be made here is that Americans, like a lot of people, have a tendency to project onto Israel-Palestine their own neuroses, irrespective of which “side” they support.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2020 on: October 13, 2023, 07:12:01 PM »

By the way regarding Hezbollah, it seems they feel they aren't prepared for conflict but they are doing light attacks . Is this similar to how Jordan sent a token force in 1973 when they didn't really want to fight in the war? Although in Jordan's case it was also due to a genuine desire for long term peace.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #2021 on: October 13, 2023, 07:19:36 PM »

I hope people don't still take the "human shields" argument at face value. Should have lost traction right around the time they bombed Red Crescent workers after briefly ceasing bombing to let them rescue wounded civilians.
Then tell me why Hamas has their military headquarters in Al-Shifa Hospital.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2022 on: October 13, 2023, 07:20:47 PM »

Genuine question: obviously Hamas have always been a genocidal totalitarian terror cult, but were they always this bad or did the events of last weekend surprise even by their standards?
Hamas to me feels less like a genocidal terror cult (like Daesh) and more like a barbaric self-interested gang grifting off Palestinian liberation. Still evil, but a different kind of evil. They'd rather Israel exist and their (meaning Hamas') elite dwell in mansions in the Persian Gulf region than neither be true.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2023 on: October 13, 2023, 07:29:04 PM »

Addressing the humanitarian crisis in Gaza requires more decisive action, in order to restrain the Israeli government to take revenge on the Gaza population. It is monstrous to tell one million of Gazans to flee, in what looks like the prelude to a massive ethnic cleansing. The statements of president Herzog are equally monstrous.  Herzog claims that there are no innocent civilians and that all the population of Gaza bears a collective guilt for Hamas atrocious actions, which sounds like an incitement to the most savage and unrestrained revenge and must be interpreted as such. During the following hours a terrific and unrestrained horror could unleash in the martiryzed Gaza. The impending massacre could be also a turning point for the Western World aligned to Israel, because nothing will be the same for us if we do nothing to prevent the most unspeakable horrors. This is a serious historical moment

Biden needs to be careful otherwise being complicit in Israel's genocide could be his legacy.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2024 on: October 13, 2023, 07:29:43 PM »

It's almost as if Gaza's population and indeed Palestine's, is as heterogeneous in its political and sociological profile as Israel's.

Shocking for those who think Arabs have a hive mind, I know.

I don't know if this is directed at my post, but yes, obviously. My point is that the Israeli order to move a large amount of people in a short period of time is an order of a type which could only be obeyed universally with the collaboration of the local government, and not otherwise.

Not directed at you : I actually think you are clear sighted in your analysis of the ongoing events.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 295  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies