Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:12:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 311
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 220339 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: October 13, 2023, 07:16:57 AM »

First party poll since the guns started firing.  The Israeli people do not like what Bibi did and is doing. He is seeing the exact opposite of the past rally-around-the-flag. A long war with more and consistent casualties will not help him either, if the past is precedent.  

God I hope there is a coalition collapse soon, so this authoritarian and self-centered POS can stop endangering everyone and everything for personal gain.
Logical

« Reply #1876 on: October 13, 2023, 07:17:24 AM »

The settlers must be stopped if Israel doesn't want to find itself fighting a three front war. It is what they seek and it would be catastrophic.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1877 on: October 13, 2023, 07:19:34 AM »

I don’t see how this ends in anything other than a Sack of Carthage situation.

For those of us who are historically inept.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Carthage_(Third_Punic_War)
Rome were complete dicks in the Third Punic War.  After defeating, eventually, Hannibal, in the Second Punic War they completely demilitarized Carthage and, as part of the deal, Rome would protect Carthage if they were attacked.  Well, they were attacked, Rome did nothing.  Carthage eventually put together a small army to defend themselves against barbarians and lost to them.  This made the toddlers in charge of Republican Rome at the time super pissy, they made some ridiculous demands they knew Carthage wouldn't accept so they invaded.  That went very very poorly for them (disease broke out in the Roman camps during the siege).  Romans were extremely superstitious and believed that only a Scipio could win wars in Africa, so they found one, sent him down there and they won.  They probably didn't "salt the Earth" but they did take anything of value and forced the few remaining Phoenicians to move many miles out into the desert.
Epaminondas

« Reply #1878 on: October 13, 2023, 08:11:07 AM »

God I hope there is a coalition collapse soon, so this authoritarian and self-centered POS can stop endangering everyone and everything for personal gain.

Wow. That's the first time I read you openly take sides in politics, you've conscientiously avoided it during 4 years of GOP rule. But Bibi is a bridge too far, despite not living in Israel.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1879 on: October 13, 2023, 09:07:43 AM »

The settlers must be stopped if Israel doesn't want to find itself fighting a three front war. It is what they seek and it would be catastrophic.]

I don't think they care. Biden has said we will stand with Israel "no matter what" and nothing they do will change that.. Rhetoric like that is is emboldening them to turn this into a three front war.

Expect a lot more of this from the settlers.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1880 on: October 13, 2023, 09:10:49 AM »

A restrained American response to 9/11 would have saved hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars. The brave few who stood against the hysterical bloodlust, like Susan Sontag, were the ones vindicated.

Given what happened, the US response arguably *was* fairly restrained. Don't know if you were around then, but neocons were ranting in the immediate aftermath about basically going to war with everybody.

The madness that was attacking Iraq only came later.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1881 on: October 13, 2023, 09:20:27 AM »

Apparently I was definitely wrong to be worried about a genocide in Gaza apparently and say the likes of Marco Rubio were promoting a genocidal rhetoric.  
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1882 on: October 13, 2023, 09:23:20 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2023, 09:28:37 AM by CumbrianLefty »

The settlers must be stopped if Israel doesn't want to find itself fighting a three front war. It is what they seek and it would be catastrophic.]

I don't think they care. Biden has said we will stand with Israel "no matter what" and nothing they do will change that.. Rhetoric like that is is emboldening them to turn this into a three front war.

Expect a lot more of this from the settlers.

Rhetoric is rhetoric, designed for public consumption. I think the chances that the US are telling Israel something at least slightly different in private, must be non-negligible.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1883 on: October 13, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »

Giving one million people--half of them children--24 hours to leave, regardless of what Hamas says, is utterly untenable. Between this and the West Bank being placed under full lockdown it's going to be mass slaughter, and the West will stand and watch as tens of thousands of Palestinians are murdered.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1884 on: October 13, 2023, 09:26:47 AM »

Wow. That's the first time I read you openly take sides in politics, you've conscientiously avoided it during 4 years of GOP rule. But Bibi is a bridge too far, despite not living in Israel.

Your barking up the wrong tree. Maybe confusion with someone else, double-check the names.

Just cause someone rarely if ever posts in the presidential board and general discussion,  cause those seem to toxic doesn't mean that they are ambivalent.  This type of accusations right from the blue is why I stay away from super hot threads. If you cared enough to visit congressional elections, or redistricting,  the international board when one side is clearly authoritarian,  or even were here for 5 Israeli elections,  you wouldn't be assuming the worst in everyone new.

Also, what's this about 4 years of GOP? There hasn't been a R trifecta that long since Bush,  and that was before a large number of posters joined. This makes little sense.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1885 on: October 13, 2023, 09:28:15 AM »

Israel orders 1.1 million people to evacuate northern Gaza become refugees.

If this isn't ethnic cleansing, I don't know what is.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1886 on: October 13, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »

Giving one million people--half of them children--24 hours to leave, regardless of what Hamas says, is utterly untenable. Between this and the West Bank being placed under full lockdown it's going to be mass slaughter, and the West will stand and watch as tens of thousands of Palestinians are murdered.

The problem with the west is that at the end of the day, words are just words.

And despite all efforts to make our society a more tolerant one towards other races, ethnicities, cultural origins, it all turns moot with inaction like this (or even unconditional support for "Israël to do what it has to do"). I ask myself to what extent an apology to D.R. Congo for our crimes there is genuine from our part, if we continue to turn a blind eye or show support towards similar regimes and actions today.

I've all warned you for this. And the first two days, there were more people calling for me to be banned than something else, but this was my fear and this is why I responded the way I did the first days.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1887 on: October 13, 2023, 09:50:16 AM »

Senator Josh Hawley

US Stands with Israel

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyV71egOr06/

This guy is pretty sharp. Looks like he was an Attorney General before becoming a Senator.

"The US needs to speak with moral clarity and be 100% clear that we stand with Israel."

We need more politicians like this in Australia. 95 % of people here feel the same way. We defeated ISIS and we can add Hamas to the same report card thanks to Israel and the US.

rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #1888 on: October 13, 2023, 09:52:46 AM »

That's 24 hours more than their government gave Israeli citizens.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1889 on: October 13, 2023, 10:01:01 AM »

Go to hell you Tory psychopath.

It's gonna be hilarious when that sociopath Rishi loses by like 25 points next election.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1890 on: October 13, 2023, 10:01:43 AM »

The bar is higher than the worst actions on the other side. It must be so in all conflicts, or else it will keep getting lower.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1891 on: October 13, 2023, 10:03:32 AM »

Go to hell you Tory psychopath.

It's gonna be hilarious when that sociopath Rishi loses by like 25 points next election.

Tbf, Sunak knows the government is DOA and he’s more concerned about selling his shares in the UK than trying to fight the next election. He’ll probably have his flight to San Francisco booked by election day.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1892 on: October 13, 2023, 10:05:10 AM »

Looks like the gut feeling was right. They’re either going to the West Bank, to Egypt to probably be left to die in camps or killed by Israel.

Israel need regime change, this whole affair is exactly what the conservative government wanted, ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, it’s part of their plan.

If an actual two state solution had been worked on while things might not be good this while massive attack never would have happened. Gaza also now has nothing to lose. It’s going to be very bloody for Israel long term now.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1893 on: October 13, 2023, 10:10:41 AM »

The best plausible outcome at this point is a "peaceful" ethnic cleansing like what just happened in Artsakh. The worst will be a flattening of Gaza and its remaining civilians and mass Rwanda-style murder by settler militia in the West Bank, which is probably where we're going. I don't know if the Good Liberals and moderates who are claiming to be totally behind Israel and were condemning the things that GMac and H/R said in a vacuum are ready to comprehend that, but I fear they won't care either way, while crying a few decades later about how tragic it was.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1894 on: October 13, 2023, 10:14:32 AM »

Both sides seem adamant to be the first to commit genocide against the other. This is bleak.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1895 on: October 13, 2023, 10:15:57 AM »

Senator Josh Hawley

US Stands with Israel

This guy is pretty sharp. Looks like he was an Attorney General before becoming a Senator.

"The US needs to speak with moral clarity and be 100% clear that we stand with Israel."

We need more politicians like this in Australia. 95 % of people here feel the same way. We defeated ISIS and we can add Hamas to the same report card thanks to Israel and the US.

So what you are saying is that Australia needs more politicians who are complicit in Israel's war crimes.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1896 on: October 13, 2023, 10:17:37 AM »

Senator Josh Hawley

US Stands with Israel

So what you are saying is that Australia needs more politicians who are complicit in Israel's war crimes.
No, he wants more Australian politicians who supported the January 6th insurrection. Can't believe that people have treated this deranged reactionary Australian as mere white noise.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #1897 on: October 13, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »

Obviously a lot will unfold and so the answer to this question could change depending on what happens, but it would be interesting to hear someone, if it is assumed reasonable that Israel responds to the attacks, what the alternative is to any of the steps that they have taken so far.

Clearly it is a complicated situation with Gaza being so densely populated, Hamas hiding in civilian areas, etc. But those things are fixed. What is the reasonable alternative?

I am someone who has been critical of actions by the Israeli government in the broader situation, but I suppose on these things I’m just a bit of a realist.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1898 on: October 13, 2023, 10:22:07 AM »

Obviously a lot will unfold and so the answer to this question could change depending on what happens, but it would be interesting to hear someone, if it is assumed reasonable that Israel responds to the attacks, what the alternative is to any of the steps that they have taken so far.

Clearly it is a complicated situation with Gaza being so densely populated, Hamas hiding in civilian areas, etc. But those things are fixed. What is the reasonable alternative?

I am someone who has been critical of actions by the Israeli government in the broader situation, but I suppose on these things I’m just a bit of a realist.
They've already killed all of the Hamas fighters who actually attacked Israel. Otherwise, a targeted assassination on Hamas leadership on Qatar, while technically a violation of their sovereignty (like Eichmann in Argentina) would be infinitely more justified than the mass torture and murder of children.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #1899 on: October 13, 2023, 10:27:22 AM »

They've already killed all of the Hamas fighters who actually attacked Israel. Otherwise, a targeted assassination on Hamas leadership on Qatar, while technically a violation of their sovereignty (like Eichmann in Argentina) would be infinitely more justified than the mass torture and murder of children.

Do you have a source on the first claim?

My question was what actions so far, including the strikes that have been done to date apparently killing all Hamas fighters. So, do you believe what they’ve done thus far is justified? Would you support a strike in Qatar?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 311  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies